PDA

View Full Version : PFW Thinks Denver Can Bounce Back In '09

TXBRONC
01-07-2009, 09:59 PM
I thought you all might find this interesting.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/NFList/2008/nflist2327.htm

NFList

Near-misses in '08, Broncos, Jets could bounce back in '09

By Mike Wilkening
Jan. 7, 2009

For this week’s NFList, we asked a panel comprised of evaluators as well as PFW editors to rank the teams without a permanent head coach in place for 2009 in order from best-positioned to succeed next season to worst-positioned to succeed. Here’s how they ranked them. All comments in quotations were made by the evaluators, and all comments were made on the condition of anonymity:

1. Denver Broncos — Whoever replaces Mike Shanahan has the advantage of working with QB Jay Cutler and a potent offense; those elements, plus a patient owner with deep pockets and the relative weakness of the AFC West compared to other divisions, make this an attractive opening. However, Shanahan’s replacement has the task of getting more out of a defense that struggled for much of 2008 and fell apart in the season finale at San Diego. The Broncos had an 8-8 record, but they were outscored 448-370.

2. New York Jets — The positives of taking the Jets’ job: They were 9-7 in 2008, and they were very impressive in wins at Tennessee and at New England. Ownership has not been afraid to spend big money to fix glaring problems. The negatives: They faltered down the stretch, and it’s unclear whether QB Brett Favre will be back for a second season with the club. “They need to figure out what is going on with the QB,” one evaluator said.

3. Cleveland Browns — The Browns may have finished 4-12 in 2008, but several evaluators believe the Browns easily could turn things around next season. “If I would (pick) one team, it would be Cleveland,” one personnel man said. “They have some offensive skill around (Brady Quinn). I think Cleveland can get it going.” Said another panelist: “(WR) Braylon Edwards and (TE) Kellen Winslow are still difference makers; the offensive line is good enough. The defense played a little better as the year went on, but by that time, the injuries at QB had halted the offense’s ability to score. If they can figure out a way to improve their pass rush in the offseason, that could really turn this defense around.”

4. Oakland Raiders — “If you study them personnel-wise, they have some players capable of making plays,” one personnel man said of the Raiders, who won their final two games of the season to finish 5-11. “They’ve got some big offensive linemen. Oakland is a decent situation in terms of personnel. They have some structure they can build upon.” Added an NFC scout: “Oakland, on talent alone, can step up, but I don’t know what is going on in that organization.” Interim head coach Tom Cable, who had both good and bad moments after taking over for Lane Kiffin, is believed to be a candidate for the permanent job.

5. St. Louis Rams — Interim head coach Jim Haslett led the Rams to both of their wins in ’08, and he is in the mix to keep the job in 2009. But whoever takes the job could have a tall task competing, even in the feeble NFC West. “They are talented enough on offense, but they still need more help at receiver, and they could benefit from some offensive line help,” an evaluator said. “Their defense is killing them; they can’t stop anyone.”

6. Detroit Lions — Interestingly enough, none of our panelists would say the Lions, the only team to go winless since the NFL adopted a 16-game-schedule, had no chance of competing in 2009. “Looking at teams like Miami, anything is possible,” said one scout, referring to the Dolphins going from a one-win team in ’07 to an 11-game winner in ’08. However, the scout noted, “Their defense needs a total overhaul.” Also, the offense lacks star power (with the exception of exceptional WR Calvin Johnson) and lacks a clear-cut starting quarterback entering ’09.

gobroncsnv
01-08-2009, 07:30 AM
I think the only way to get "more out of our defense" is to put MORE INTO IT.

TXBRONC
01-08-2009, 08:13 AM
I think the only way to get "more out of our defense" is to put MORE INTO IT.

Agreed. I also think that is basically what the article was trying to get at.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Funny how Detroit gets some love, but NOTHING about KC.

TXBRONC
01-08-2009, 08:27 AM

It might have something to do with how young they are.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-08-2009, 08:33 AM
...and how bad.

frauschieze
01-08-2009, 09:52 AM

KC isn't coachless.

Tebow4Ever
01-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Denver will be back in the playoffs next year. Im pretty sure we will. Alot of Change coming to this team.

Mike
01-08-2009, 10:21 AM
I expect Denver to miss the playoffs again next season. They just have a tough schedule. Anything is possible though.

underrated29
01-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Man, we have a really tough schedule next year. real tough.

With a run game i expect most games to be closer, but if we still have no defense i actually expet our record to be worse. Maybe 7-9 again.

We had an overall cake schedule this year and only got to 8-8, next year even with an improved team from the draft i dont see how we will even make 8-8 with the schedule we have.

balt,dallas,nyg, ne- equals trouble.

NightTrainLayne
01-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Man, we have a really tough schedule next year. real tough.

With a run game i expect most games to be closer, but if we still have no defense i actually expet our record to be worse. Maybe 7-9 again.

We had an overall cake schedule this year and only got to 8-8, next year even with an improved team from the draft i dont see how we will even make 8-8 with the schedule we have.

balt,dallas,nyg, ne- equals trouble.

If I've learned anything over the past three years it's that you can't really evaluate the schedule in advance.

Traveler
01-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Any chance we get a compensatory pick this year?

broncofaninfla
01-08-2009, 12:19 PM

Not sure about that but I read our 7th round pick from Atlanta can move up to a higher pick if Foxworth re-signs with Atlanta and he is currently in negotiations.

PatricktheDookie
01-08-2009, 01:36 PM

We didn't let any free agents get away a couple years ago, did we?

Traveler
01-08-2009, 01:42 PM
We didn't let any free agents get away a couple years ago, did we?

We let some folks go. Don't remember who though. Guess that answers my question, huh?

PatricktheDookie
01-08-2009, 01:44 PM
hahaha!