PDA

View Full Version : KC Leads AFC West at Midpoint (Den 1 game out)

OrangeHoof
11-08-2011, 04:06 PM
The Broncos were the only AFC West team to win in Week 9, pulling them within one game of the top in the crowded division now led by KC.

KC (4-4, 2-1) wins the tie-break over San Diego and Oakland based on head-to-head win pct. SD (4-4, 2-1) comes next based on divisional record then Oakland (4-4, 1-2) and Denver (3-5, 1-2). All four have had their bye week and must slog through the next eight weeks without rest.

A look at their remaining schedules goes like this:

KC (vs DEN, @ NE, vs PIT, @ CHI, @ NYJ, vs GB, vs OAK, @DEN)
SD (vs OAK, @ CHI, vs DEN @ JAX, vs BUF, vs BAL, @ DET, @ OAK)
OAK (@ SD, @ MIN, vs CHI, @ MIA, @ GB, vs DET, @ KC, vs SD)
DEN (@ KC, vs NYJ, @ SD, @ MIN, vs CHI, vs NE, @ BUF, vs KC)

DEN and SD already have the sure loss to GB out of their systems which gives them an advantage. KC still has to visit the NE and NYJ while SD and OAK are done with both.

Based on this, I'd have to say SD probably still has the advantage but it's really anybody's race. There's still hope, Denver fans, albeit remote.

smith49
11-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Kind of no biggie to me. I'm just wanting to see consistent improvement from here on out. That will make this season successful in my eyes.

Of course that's a double edged sword. With consistent improvement comes wins. With wins comes playoff berths.

camdisco24
11-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Man, if we made the playoffs by some miracle of the football gods, I'd be amazed. Not at the fact that we won the division, but at how horrible the AFCW is.

Still though, gives me even more a reason to watch now! Love excitement!

Cugel
11-08-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm just waiting to see what QB they will draft next season. I seriously doubt Denver will win the division and if they did they would get their ass handed to them in the playoffs like KC did a few seasons ago.

One and done, and a worse draft pick. Worst thing that could happen to the Broncos it would only set back their development for more years.

They don't have the solid basis of good players at every position to start thinking about playoffs. They need a couple more years of good draft picks to get back to competitive with the better teams in the league.

camdisco24
11-08-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm just waiting to see what QB they will draft next season. I seriously doubt Denver will win the division and if they did they would get their ass handed to them in the playoffs like KC did a few seasons ago.

One and done, and a worse draft pick. Worst thing that could happen to the Broncos it would only set back their development for more years.

They don't have the solid basis of good players at every position to start thinking about playoffs. They need a couple more years of good draft picks to get back to competitive with the better teams in the league.

Lets put it this way, if we make the playoff, it probably means we won't need to look for a QB for next year and we can actually focus on bigger needs like... oh idk, DEFENSE.

BigSarge87
11-08-2011, 05:23 PM

If we win enough games to make the playoffs wouldn't that show that maybe our players are better than everyone is giving them credit for or at the very least the young guys are improving?

I'll take the lower draft position if it means we're improving enough to make the playoffs.

MasterShake
11-08-2011, 05:43 PM
I'll be watching no matter what, but its cool to have some flesh in the game. I think SD has the best shot if Rivers can get his head on straight, but man those schedules look brutal, especially for Oakland.

Probably a 9-7 wins the division?

A win agains the Chiefs would be huge in deciding our chances, because I don't see any one in the AFCW doing well down the stretch. Its all going to come down to tiebreakers.

How cool would it be for the last game of the season to actually mean something? Especially at home...

Ahhhh... to dream.

I Eat Staples
11-08-2011, 05:51 PM
San Diego will win the division easily. We suck and KC sucks.

RebelRocker
11-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Lets put it this way, if we make the playoff, it probably means we won't need to look for a QB for next year and we can actually focus on bigger needs like... oh idk, DEFENSE.

Yes, but to make the playoffs, Tebow has to become a more consistent and accurate passer. Although I LOVED the way we won last weekend, we can't do that for the rest of the season. He has to pass more often and do it well.

Many people think that with this last win, Tebow has a "longer leash" with EFX, but I think it's the opposite. Now that we have a legimate shot at winning the division this year, I think it's imperative that EFX wins now and if Tebow, or ANY player for that matter struggles, we can't hesitate to make changes to help us win games.

Slick
11-08-2011, 06:02 PM

At least try to pretend you would like to see the kid succeed.

BORDERLINE
11-08-2011, 08:11 PM
I believe Oak has the easier road to making the playoffs. But Palmer needs to improve in that system and with McFadden out the games are going to be super close.

KC is not that good and SD is up and down.

We play CHI/NE?BUFF all in a row and they are all very good. So that's the main reason i'm not keeping my hopes up. But as long as we grow as a team and improve in all areas it's successful season. We will know if Timmy is the guy or if he's in a Stanford uni or UCS one. Who knows, I'm pulling for Teebs but the team is first

Fullback32
11-08-2011, 08:17 PM
It'a weird season all over the NFL, but it certainly seems like no one wants to win the AFC West. I have to think that SD has the best shot though.

nevcraw
11-08-2011, 08:41 PM
Yes, but to make the playoffs, Tebow has to become a more consistent and accurate passer. Although I LOVED the way we won last weekend, we can't do that for the rest of the season. He has to pass more often and do it well.

Many people think that with this last win, Tebow has a "longer leash" with EFX, but I think it's the opposite. Now that we have a legimate shot at winning the division this year, I think it's imperative that EFX wins now and if Tebow, or ANY player for that matter struggles, we can't hesitate to make changes to help us win games.

classic. :confused:

BroncoStud
11-08-2011, 09:24 PM
It makes those 2 games we lose early with Orton all the more painful now doesn't it... Certainly would look better sitting at 5-3 right now...

MOtorboat
11-08-2011, 09:27 PM
classic. :confused:

So, do you believe an NFL team can succeed (make the playoffs) with a quarterback who cannot complete more than half of his attempts?

It makes those 2 games we lose early with Orton all the more painful now doesn't it... Certainly would look better sitting at 5-3 right now...

No. Because I have no idea whether Tebow would have won those games or not. It is what it is.

FanInAZ
11-08-2011, 09:39 PM
KC (vs DEN, @ NE, vs PIT, @ CHI, @ NYJ, vs GB, vs OAK, @DEN)
SD (vs OAK, @ CHI, vs DEN @ JAX, vs BUF, vs BAL, @ DET, @ OAK)
OAK (@ SD, @ MIN, vs CHI, @ MIA, @ GB, vs DET, @ KC, vs SD)
DEN (@ KC, vs NYJ, @ SD, @ MIN, vs CHI, vs NE, @ BUF, vs KC)

I see KC losing all 5 of their non-divisional game, although they might pull off an upset if the Jets don't bring their A game. They should be able to win 1 or 2 of their divisional games and the possibility that we will avoid getting swept by them.

I see SD loosing 3 out of their 5 non-divisional games; they should beat JAX & could be BUF if they don't bring their A game. They should also win at least 2 of their 3 divisional games with the possibility of us pulling an upset, but don't bet the farm on that.

I can see OAK only winning maybe 1 or 2 of their remaining 8 games. If Campbell wouldn't have gotten injured, then I would probably see them winning 5 or 6. With all due respect to Palmer who I believe is a pretty good QB, him not being involved in football for 4 months prior to signing with a new team is having its consequences. We'll have to see how good the Raiders can actually be with him at the helm next season.

I can see DEN avoiding the sweep against KC & beating MIN. We might even steal games against NYJ or SD, but I don't see us stealing wins in back to back weeks. So I'll predict us winning 2 or 3 more games.

SD should win the division, but won’t reach the AFC Championship Game.

rcsodak
11-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Ironic how, just a couple weeks ago, the big talk around here was the Luck Sweepstakes. Now, its the Division.

Lmao. Both are more then likely pipe dreams.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Superchop 7
11-09-2011, 10:40 AM
The kid is 3-3 as a starter.

Shouldn't be, but he is.

So...

I'm not going to predict anything.

I will watch a football player play football,

I'm just going to kick back and enjoy it.

NightTerror218
11-09-2011, 02:40 PM
I think we can take out the Chiefs this weekend. I think we have a chance.

Ravage!!!
11-09-2011, 03:08 PM
The Chiefs are without their three best players on their team. They had a good looking MNF game.... but other than that they really are not a good football team. Flowers is stud, Hali is pretty good, and their LB is pretty damned good. Other than that, their QB is very average at best, and their RBs are nothing to fear.

I don't fear the Chiefs at all. I can see us winning this game. But then, we DO have the absolute worst division in the NFL.

Mike
11-09-2011, 03:10 PM
The kid is 3-3 as a starter.

Shouldn't be, but he is.

So...

I'm not going to predict anything.

I will watch a football player play football,

I'm just going to kick back and enjoy it.

As long as he plays like he did in the second half of the Oakland game. If he plays like he did against Miami and Detroit....enjoyment and watching the Broncos don't belong together.

G_Money
11-09-2011, 03:20 PM
I think we can take KC, even in Arrowhead.

I think the Jets are gonna come stomp us, but how they attack Tebow should be a good measuring stick for Tebow to know what he needs to work on, and for McCoy to figure out how to adjust the offense against a pressure defense.

I still think we're winning 3ish more games this year. I care more about how Tim does, though; enough progress from Timmy to keep him at QB is worth a worse draft position when remaking this team.

Having Tim be a terrible QB while simultaneously winning games hurts us long term.

Though I never mind sticking it to the Chiefs...

~G

BigDaddyBronco
11-09-2011, 03:23 PM

I think the Jets are gonna come stomp us, but how they attack Tebow should be a good measuring stick for Tebow to know what he needs to work on, and for McCoy to figure out how to adjust the offense against a pressure defense.

I still think we're winning 3ish more games this year. I care more about how Tim does, though; enough progress from Timmy to keep him at QB is worth a worse draft position when remaking this team.

Having Tim be a terrible QB while simultaneously winning games hurts us long term.

~G
Yea, if they could beat the Chiefs, the Chargers, and the Bears I will be happy. If Tim progresses and we can draft a top LT in the draft I'll be ecstatic.

NightTerror218
11-09-2011, 03:25 PM

~G

I think we can take the Jets. They dont have a strong run defense and Oakland destroyed them. The Jets barely beat us last year as a 4 in team. They have not looked good this year. I also think we can win both KC games. I also think we can knock off the Chargers. The big question is whether Tom Brady can snap his losing streak against the Broncos. No matter the team, or coach Brady has serious issues with us. they one thing that has been the same however is Champ Bailey.

I Eat Staples
11-09-2011, 03:56 PM
KC (vs DEN, (L) @ NE, (L) vs PIT, (L) @ CHI, (L) @ NYJ, (L) vs GB, (L) vs OAK, (L) @DEN (W) )

SD (vs OAK, (W) @ CHI, (W) vs DEN (W) @ JAX, (W) vs BUF, (W) vs BAL, (L) @ DET, (L) @ OAK (W) )

OAK (@ SD, (L) @ MIN, (W) vs CHI, (L) @ MIA, (W) @ GB, (L) vs DET, (L) @ KC, (W) vs SD (L) )

DEN (@ KC, (W) vs NYJ, (L) @ SD, (L) @ MIN, (L) vs CHI, (L) vs NE, (L) @ BUF, (W) vs KC (L) )

That's how I see the rest of the games going. So we'd have:

SD 10-6
Oakland 7-9
Denver 5-11
KC 5-11

NightTerror218
11-09-2011, 05:27 PM
KC (vs DEN, (L) @ NE, (L) vs PIT, (L) @ CHI, (L) @ NYJ, (L) vs GB, (L) vs OAK, (L) @DEN (W) )

SD (vs OAK, (W) @ CHI, (W) vs DEN (W) @ JAX, (W) vs BUF, (W) vs BAL, (L) @ DET, (L) @ OAK (W) )

OAK (@ SD, (L) @ MIN, (W) vs CHI, (L) @ MIA, (W) @ GB, (L) vs DET, (L) @ KC, (W) vs SD (L) )

DEN (@ KC, (W) vs NYJ, (L) @ SD, (L) @ MIN, (L) vs CHI, (L) vs NE, (L) @ BUF, (W) vs KC (L) )

SD 10-6
Oakland 7-9
Denver 5-11
KC 5-11

We can take both KC games and the Minn game easily. Both teams are horrible. Jets are not so dominant this year either. Dont forget every year people say he cant beat the Pats and guess what, no matter who the coach has been or what Denver beats NE every time. Brady has horrible record against the Broncos.

vandammage13
11-09-2011, 05:34 PM

SD 10-6
Oakland 7-9
Denver 5-11
KC 5-11

That's a pretty optimistic prediction for SD considering they are on a 3 game skid.

vettesplus
11-09-2011, 05:52 PM
just another reminder on how shitty this division of teams are!!!!!!

vettesplus
11-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Ironic how, just a couple weeks ago, the big talk around here was the Luck Sweepstakes. Now, its the Division.

Lmao. Both are more then likely pipe dreams.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

they are going to place right in the middle and have no grounds for a top draft pic, talk about gettting placed between a rock and hard place....draft 10-15 in the draft and get a wantabe player at best.....

Davii
11-09-2011, 10:41 PM
they are going to place right in the middle and have no grounds for a top draft pic, talk about gettting placed between a rock and hard place....draft 10-15 in the draft and get a wantabe player at best.....

Wannabe player at 10-15? Really?

Get over it man. You're so pessimistic about everything it's actually sad.

I Eat Staples
11-10-2011, 02:06 PM
We can take both KC games and the Minn game easily. Both teams are horrible. Jets are not so dominant this year either. Dont forget every year people say he cant beat the Pats and guess what, no matter who the coach has been or what Denver beats NE every time. Brady has horrible record against the Broncos.

Sure, we COULD take the KC and Minn games, although I don't think we'll win easily. I don't see us sweeping KC and I have a bad feeling we won't even beat Minny. The Jets are a good team, you guys judge by record too much. The good teams get their problems straightened out toward the end of the season. Our past record against NE means nothing for this year.

That's a pretty optimistic prediction for SD considering they are on a 3 game skid.

They always play better at the end of the year. They're a good team, they shouldn't have much trouble with the teams they're going to play.

NightTerror218
11-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Sure, we COULD take the KC and Minn games, although I don't think we'll win easily. I don't see us sweeping KC and I have a bad feeling we won't even beat Minny. The Jets are a good team, you guys judge by record too much. The good teams get their problems straightened out toward the end of the season. Our past record against NE means nothing for this year.

They always play better at the end of the year. They're a good team, they shouldn't have much trouble with the teams they're going to play.

I judge from games I have watched, not by record. Minn really really sucks. They lost too many key vets and have left overs trying to step up. KC is missing best players and back ups are trying to step up. QB is pretty bad but he has a good receiver in Bowe that relies on heavily. Jets are not as good as they have been last couple years. Sanchez is not amazing and still makes lots of mistakes and running game is not as good as it has been. The fact Brady is 1-5 against the broncos ever means nothing? The fact he has faced 2 other HCs and still lost. He lost to McD!!!!!! He does not play well in Denver and against us. I think its more mental then anything but i think we could pull off the upset. Their defense is not as good, and relies on TOs to win a lot of games along with Bradys arm.

I Eat Staples
11-10-2011, 10:01 PM
I judge from games I have watched, not by record. Minn really really sucks. They lost too many key vets and have left overs trying to step up. KC is missing best players and back ups are trying to step up. QB is pretty bad but he has a good receiver in Bowe that relies on heavily. Jets are not as good as they have been last couple years. Sanchez is not amazing and still makes lots of mistakes and running game is not as good as it has been. The fact Brady is 1-5 against the broncos ever means nothing? The fact he has faced 2 other HCs and still lost. He lost to McD!!!!!! He does not play well in Denver and against us. I think its more mental then anything but i think we could pull off the upset. Their defense is not as good, and relies on TOs to win a lot of games along with Bradys arm.

I agree that Minny and KC suck, but we suck too. Those are really anyone's games.

The fact that Brady lost to different coaches and completely different teams is what shows that it means nothing, unless it's the mile high air.

MileHiWildcat
11-11-2011, 09:43 AM
SD (vs OAK, (W)

And thus goes your football predictions business. Please grace us all with more of your football acumen and Tebow trashing !

vettesplus
11-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Wannabe player at 10-15? Really?

Get over it man. You're so pessimistic about everything it's actually sad.

sorry, wannabe qb...

just cannot be optimistic about a john fox/tt run team...sorry!! but i truly believe elway has other plans for the future than these 2 guys..