PDA

View Full Version : Why are we not pursuing Pioli?

eessydo
01-07-2009, 01:49 PM
I live here in Atlanta now, and I thought that what Arthur Blank finally realized in hiring his GM prior to his coach was the right order of things to transpire.

The GM needs to have a say in the coach as they will have to work very closely together over the long run.

Let's toss some cash at Pioli's feet after all he has done he is worth it.

His disciple Thomas Dimitrioff here in atlanta has turned this franchise around with this smart FA acquisitions and intelligent, thoughtful drafting. So it just shows that the system that has been put in place is strong.

broncofaninfla
01-07-2009, 01:52 PM
He is a proven GM no doubt about it. I'm guessing because of that his asking price is probably HUGE.

MOtorboat
01-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Just to play Devil's advocate, Pioli is not the one in control in New England, and as more and more guys leave New England, you realize that Belichick is the genius behind all that.

Fan in Exile
01-07-2009, 02:02 PM
I think it's a combination of all the things that he's asking for and that his past few drafts haven't really been all that hot. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/nwe.htm

I think that what this looks like is that New England got lucky on a few draft picks and has a great head coach/system. He just doesn't have the consistency to demand what he's asking for.

Lonestar
01-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Is he better than mikey the GM?

If your answer to that is yes then we can not hurt ourselves getting a quality GM to help make the decisions.. Keep the eye on the ball and make sure everyone is focused on the goal and mission statement of the team..

We ALL know that one man in charge of everything did not work..
Piloai is a top notch GM and has an eye for talent.. He learned in a great atmosphere in NE..

BTW his asking price will not be what we were paying mikey, so that should not be an issue..

Fan in Exile
01-07-2009, 02:16 PM

If your answer to that is yes then we can not hurt ourselves getting a quality GM to help make the decisions.. Keep the eye on the ball and make sure everyone is focused on the goal and mission statement of the team..

Piloai is a top notch GM and has an eye for talent.. He learned in a great atmosphere in NE..

BTW his asking price will not be what we were paying mikey, so that should not be an issue..

It's not just the salary that he's asking it's also apparently bringing in Ferentz from Iowa and having a lot of power. I don't think that Pat wants to go down that road again.

Also the question isn't is he better than Mike as a GM it's is he better than the Goodmans, and I don't think that he is. Looking at his past couple of drafts at least I'm underwhelmed.

studbucket
01-07-2009, 02:17 PM
I don't think we are pursuing any GM candidates. There has been no news about it, nothing indicating that we are.

I am quite happy with the work of the Goodman brothers and others on our staff since '06. If we just need to bring in someone else to help, then do it, but I am not too worried about our front office.

In-com-plete
01-07-2009, 03:06 PM
I read this yesterday on the Denver post mailbag:

Denver is a great place for a GM to make his mark on the NFL: great owner, great fans, the team dominates a major market, great home-field advantage and NINE picks in the upcoming NFL draft. Why don't I hear Scott Pioli's name mentioned when the vacant GM position is discussed? It seems that Cleveland has a lock on the guy. What am I missing?
-- Jeff Petersen, Mesa, Ariz.

Jeff - There are a few reasons why Bowlen has made finding a new head coach his top priority. One, Bowlen believes the success of any NFL franchise starts with coaching. Coaches, first. The players, second. Then the people who choose the players.
There are too many players on a roster, too many backgrounds and personalities, for a team to succeed unless there is a solid coach who can meld them together.
And the second reason is, after observing the results of his 2008 draft class, Bowlen is confident his three-headed personnel-management team of Jim Goodman, Brian Xanders and Jeff Goodman are capable of finding the right players. The collection of Ryan Clady, Eddie Royal, Spencer Larsen, Peyton Hillis, Wesley Woodyard and Brett Kern are the primary reasons why the Goodmans and Xanders didn't follow all those coaches out the door.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11381699

CoachChaz
01-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Ferentz is probably the one college coach I'd be interested in talking to.

studbucket
01-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Ferentz is probably the one college coach I'd be interested in talking to.

He won't be coming. Still has a son in college on the team and one still in high school.

I'd love to have him, but I'd also love for him to stay at Iowa.

Nomad
01-07-2009, 03:09 PM
I read this yesterday on the Denver post mailbag:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11381699

Good find! This answers my question from another thread!

CoachChaz
01-07-2009, 03:15 PM
He won't be coming. Still has a son in college on the team and one still in high school.

I'd love to have him, but I'd also love for him to stay at Iowa.

I know the odds are nil, but he's a college coach with a history of NFL experience. He's actually more interesting to me than Stoops.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-07-2009, 03:17 PM
I live here in Atlanta now, and I thought that what Arthur Blank finally realized in hiring his GM prior to his coach was the right order of things to transpire.

The GM needs to have a say in the coach as they will have to work very closely together over the long run.

His disciple Thomas Dimitrioff here in atlanta has turned this franchise around with this smart FA acquisitions and intelligent, thoughtful drafting. So it just shows that the system that has been put in place is strong.

My opinion is that we already have the person who will be the GM - Goodman. That is why Pat said that he will hire a coach first, as basically, he already has his GM. Also, Goodman is one of the people who has been with Pat interviewing the coaching candidates.

fcspikeit
01-07-2009, 03:31 PM

Jr, IMO just being better then Mikey isn't saying much and I want a lot more then that out of our GM.

The Patriots had a bad rep for not paying their players, I know that worked out with Belichick as their HC but Pioli might not be so lucky with that approach with another HC.

I don't want a Jerry Jones type GM, I do however like to see the guys who have earned it get their contracts..

Lonestar
01-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Jr, IMO just being better then Mikey isn't saying much and I want a lot more then that out of our GM.

The Patriots had a bad rep for not paying their players, I know that worked out with Belichick as their HC but Pioli might not be so lucky with that approach with another HC.

I don't want a Jerry Jones type GM, I do however like to see the guys who have earned it get their contracts..

Actually in most cases the Pats had replacements on the team for most of those players that did leave..

rarely had to dip into the FA pool for must have players..

Now Palioi may not have been there long but he did learn from some of the BEST in the business.

I do not see Pat being a Jerry Jones nor Daniel Snyder, I think he wants some input on the team but is more of a hands off type guy.. Find someone he trusts and then allow them to handle the day to day crap..

I saw this today on CBS4 note the last paragraph.

Dennison & Garrett Interviewed, 2 More To Go
Miami's Todd Bowles Will Interview On Thursday
By Pat Graham, AP Sports Writer
Rick Dennison served 14 seasons as Mike Shanahan's disciple, and now he wants to be his replacement.

The Denver Broncos offensive coordinator met with team owner Pat Bowlen on Tuesday after expressing interest in the position following Shanahan's firing last week.

The Broncos spoke with Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett later in the afternoon. Leslie Frazier, the defensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings, will interview Wednesday. CBS4 Broncos Insider Gary Miller has found out the Miami assistant coach Todd Bowles will interview on Thursday. Bowles will be the third African American interviewed for the job out of seven candidates so far.

The Broncos have already interviewed Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive coordinator Raheem Morris, New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

Shanahan was fired last week after the Broncos missed the playoffs for the third straight season, done in by a series of personnel gaffes and several bad drafts on defense.

Garrett was a hot commodity at this time a year ago, spurning offers from Atlanta and Baltimore to be head coach after Dallas agreed to make him the league's highest-paid assistant at $3 million.

Garrett's star lost some luster this season as Tony Romo struggled and the Cowboys' offense sputtered, finishing 13th in the league in total yards despite a wealth of expensive talent.

Garrett, who has been coaching for four years in the NFL, told Dallas-Fort Worth television station KTVT Tuesday that he is ready to lead an NFL team.

"I felt like I was ready to do it last year. I felt it was the best situation for me to stay in Dallas last year and again, I am excited to have the opportunity to speak with the Broncos," Garrett told the station.

Dennison, a linebacker for the Broncos from 1982-90, has been on Denver's staff since 1995, serving as special teams coach and then offensive line guru, before being promoted to offensive coordinator in 2006.

Morris' interview Monday lasted more than four hours as he met with different personnel and toured the building. The 32-year-old earned a promotion from secondary coach to defensive coordinator in Tampa Bay after longtime assistant Monte Kiffin left for the University of Tennessee, where his son, Lane, is now coaching.

Shanahan is expected to take a year off before returning to coaching. He has three years and more than $20 million left on his contract, and sitting out next season would cost Bowlen close to $7 million.

Bowlen doesn't plan on giving his next coach the same kind of power he afforded Shanahan, preferring to split the head coach and general manager's jobs. He said that he'll focus on finding a GM once he hires a coach.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/broncos.dennison.coach.2.901508.html

JONtheBRONCO
01-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Jim Goodman & Co.

TXBRONC
01-08-2009, 08:24 AM

Tned pointed out in another thread that maybe Bowlen feels he has his GM in Goodman and his crew.

Tned
01-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Bowlen doesn't plan on giving his next coach the same kind of power he afforded Shanahan, preferring to split the head coach and general manager's jobs. He said that he'll focus on finding a GM once he hires a coach.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/broncos.dennison.coach.2.901508.html

You have to be careful with these articles, since often they are primarily speculation. That nugget about finding a GM after he hires the coach has been stated by a few reporters since immediately following the press conference.

I don't have time to check the transcript, but I believe that all Bowlen said when asked about a GM was that he "hand't thought about it".

Now, it is possible that he or someone on his staff have told reporters that he will hire one after a coach, but the fact that statements similar to the one you highlighted have been stated since the press conference, I think it is more likely speculation than based on any real fact.

Lonestar
01-08-2009, 02:57 PM
You have to be careful with these articles, since often they are primarily speculation. That nugget about finding a GM after he hires the coach has been stated by a few reporters since immediately following the press conference.

I don't have time to check the transcript, but I believe that all Bowlen said when asked about a GM was that he "hand't thought about it".

Now, it is possible that he or someone on his staff have told reporters that he will hire one after a coach, but the fact that statements similar to the one you highlighted have been stated since the press conference, I think it is more likely speculation than based on any real fact.

very well may be.. I have not been able to keep great track of the goings on since I left Colorado.. Having access to the local stations up there is a great advantage..

I personally feel the right way to do it is hire a great GM and allow them to make the decisions.. Much like they did in ATL and MIA last year.. can't argue with those successes.. But of course I do not have a billion invested either..

NameUsedBefore
01-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Jim Goodman & Co.

This.

It's a father/son affair, IIRC.

TXBRONC
01-08-2009, 10:10 PM
My opinion is that we already have the person who will be the GM - Goodman. That is why Pat said that he will hire a coach first, as basically, he already has his GM. Also, Goodman is one of the people who has been with Pat interviewing the coaching candidates.

I think he can do the job.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-08-2009, 10:32 PM
I think he can do the job.

I agree, and since he is already on the payroll, he may want a raise, but the amount sure would not equate to paying a new person a GM salary, plus still paying Goodman.