PDA

View Full Version : Heres the deal

Superchop 7
01-07-2009, 11:02 AM
I thought this might shed some light...

"Tampa 2" defense has lost a lot of luster in league circles as Tony Dungy's disciples -- Lovie Smith, Herm Edwards and Rod Marinelli -- have all struggled running the single-gap attack that is designed to limit big plays.
"Monte Kiffin is the only guy who could run that defense effectively, and he had 13 years as a coordinator (with the Buccaneers)," a veteran personnel evaluator said. "Now everyone is trying to emulate (Eagles defensive coordinator) JIM JOHNSON. His guys are all having success. Look at (Ravens head coach) John Harbaugh, Spags, (Vikings defensive coordinator) Leslie Frazier and 'Chico' (Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera).

"If I'm an owner, that's the pipeline I want."

First off, I don't want to get in a bidding war for Spags. He tweaked Jim Johnsons defense and like Bly, gambles too much.

Therefore.

My first choice is Johnson.

My second choice is Rivera.

My third choice is Frazier. (Jim Johnson won the battle of the defenses last week)

But, the point is.......if we want a defensive minded head coach...... we want this pipeline.

CoachChaz
01-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Everything runs in trends.

Superchop 7
01-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Everything runs in trends.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

True, but...Jim has had "consistent" success for a long time.

Lane Kiffin had success with "Tampa 2" even when disciples did not.

Go to the master.

CoachChaz
01-07-2009, 11:51 AM
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

True, but...Jim has had "consistent" success for a long time.

Lane Kiffin had success with "Tampa 2" even when disciples did not.

Go to the master.

There was also a time when the West Coast Offense was extremely successful.

Superchop 7
01-07-2009, 12:16 PM
I agreed with your trend theory.

Every team uses Bill Walsh designed plays.

Tampa 2 is basically the Steelers defense of the 70's.