PDA

View Full Version : Broncos John Fox on Tim Tebow: "It was his best game yet" vs. Raiders

Denver Native (Carol)
11-07-2011, 06:13 PM
After the Broncos' third win, they earned their first "victory Monday." Head coach John Fox gave players the day off today, a day after Denver's 38-24 win in Oakland, the team's first win against the Raiders since September 2009.

That meant players were spared the hours-long quarterly film session. After the team's fourth game — a blowout loss to Green Bay — that session lasted well into the late afternoon.

With the victory against Oakland, and losses by both Kansas City and San Diego, the Broncos now are only one game back of the trio of division leaders.

rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19282897

chazoe60
11-07-2011, 06:43 PM
I agree with Fox.

I know people harp on his completion % but a lot of those Incompletes are throw aways because no one is open. Obviously, he makes some throws that leave you scratching your head, but he has some positives as well.

I love how he doesn't throw INTs and I absolutely love his toughness. I would love to see some better gameplans and continued growth.

wayninja
11-07-2011, 07:45 PM
It just goes to show you that the formula is complex. You simply can't harp on one variable too much. It becomes meaningless noise that distract from actual results. Give me a low completion percentage but a high completion to TD ratio any day.

BroncoBJ
11-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Yea, I thought he played pretty well for the most part. As far as stats go, wasn't Jay 10/21 in his 1st career start? I always remember that statline for some reason :lol: And he had 2 picks including a pick 6, and we ended up losing. And Tebow helped out in the run game as well :elefant:

Stats don't tell the whole story though imo and are misleading but going on just stats, this game was equal to or probably even better then Jays 1st start.

Was a solid game by him though. And less balls airmailed over peoples heads. I think hes improving slightly each week.

Superchop 7
11-07-2011, 08:35 PM
I believe John Fox has won the "state the obvious contest"

SR
11-07-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm happy we won, but this week in Arrowhead is a new game.

lgenf
11-07-2011, 08:44 PM

Yeah and Reggie bush hung 92 on the chefs last week so what can we do?

Anyone for 300 again?

catfish
11-07-2011, 08:45 PM

I actually think Tebow's benefit to the run game may actually come in more handy for this particular matchup than passing might due to the stadium they are going to. That said if they win it will be as a team

SR
11-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Yeah and Reggie bush hung 92 on the chefs last week so what can we do?

Anyone for 300 again?

I don't care how much we run or pass or how many picks Champ gets so long as the end result is a "W". IMO, the Chiefs are a better all-around team than Oakland. I think it'll be a bigger challenge because they played a more disciplined brand of football. The Raiders penalties are what allowed the Broncos the chance to stay in the game. The Chiefs won't make those same mistakes. So soon do we forget that the Raiders are the ones that kept the Broncos in the game and not the Broncos keeping the Broncos in the game.

MOtorboat
11-07-2011, 09:01 PM
I actually think Tebow's benefit to the run game may actually come in more handy for this particular matchup than passing might due to the stadium they are going to. That said if they win it will be as a team

It will be a lot harder to run the shotgun running schemes against the 3-4. More onus on Tebow making some early throws to loosen up the defense.

BroncoStud
11-08-2011, 02:15 AM
People are so caught up in Tebow this, Tebow that.

The ONLY thing I wanted to see from the dude was IMPROVEMENT. He's shown us that. I expect struggles, he's as raw as a QB gets. I just think that people are way too hard or way too forgiving on Tebow.

Look at players like Blaine Gabbert... A first round pick that gives you almost no chance to win a game. Yet you don't see everyone clamoring to get him out of the game. You put a guy like Gabbert, maybe even Sanchez on THIS team and you have a turnover machine and a horrible record.

Tebow is doing fine and he's getting better.

SR
11-08-2011, 06:10 AM
People are so caught up in Tebow this, Tebow that.

The ONLY thing I wanted to see from the dude was IMPROVEMENT. He's shown us that. I expect struggles, he's as raw as a QB gets. I just think that people are way too hard or way too forgiving on Tebow.

Look at players like Blaine Gabbert... A first round pick that gives you almost no chance to win a game. Yet you don't see everyone clamoring to get him out of the game. You put a guy like Gabbert, maybe even Sanchez on THIS team and you have a turnover machine and a horrible record.

Tebow is doing fine and he's getting better.

I bet to differ. Jacksonville's offensive line is worse than ours. Jacksonville's receivers are "worse" than ours. Their running back is one of the best in the NFL, but all he does is rack up yards between the 20s with the occasional touchdown because their offensive line can't open holes for him or give him time to bounce to the outside with eight in the box. Gabbert also didn't have ANY off-season work and a very abbreviated training camp. He'll be fine once Jacksonville's FO gives him, like any QB, the tools he needs to succeed.

Mark Sanchez is a turnover machine regardless, but he's doing something right having been to two AFCCG in his brief career. Pretty invalid comparison IMO.

Clipworthy
11-08-2011, 06:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ceTGLXDaAg

At least Tebow isn't a pussycat.

Dirk
11-08-2011, 07:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ceTGLXDaAg

At least Tebow isn't a pussycat.

He will never live that down. LOL

Tned
11-08-2011, 08:11 AM
I agree with Fox.

I know people harp on his completion % but a lot of those Incompletes are throw aways because no one is open. Obviously, he makes some throws that leave you scratching your head, but he has some positives as well.

I love how he doesn't throw INTs and I absolutely love his toughness. I would love to see some better gameplans and continued growth.

I don't know if he'll keep it up, but I love his lack of INTs.

I agree that quite a few of his incompletions, especially against the Raiders, were him throwing early because of pressure. He seemed to be throwing quicker to avoid the sacks this Sunday.

The flip side is when he throws balls like when he airmailed J. Thomas and threw the ball about 8 feet over his head. If he eliminated some of those total head scratchers, it would go a long way to quiet the criticism, if he continues to improve each week.

catfish
11-08-2011, 08:32 AM
I don't know if he'll keep it up, but I love his lack of INTs.

I agree that quite a few of his incompletions, especially against the Raiders, were him throwing early because of pressure. He seemed to be throwing quicker to avoid the sacks this Sunday.

The flip side is when he throws balls like when he airmailed J. Thomas and threw the ball about 8 feet over his head. If he eliminated some of those total head scratchers, it would go a long way to quiet the criticism, if he continues to improve each week.

I would rather teach a QB to stop throwing a ball to fans in row 13 than teach him to stop throwing frozen ropes to the other team. at least you get a second chance when the fan catches it:s:

Tned
11-08-2011, 08:37 AM
I would rather teach a QB to stop throwing a ball to fans in row 13 than teach him to stop throwing frozen ropes to the other team. at least you get a second chance when the fan catches it:s:

lol, yea, some of his detractors are claiming that the reason he hasn't thrown many INTs is that his balls are so far off the mark, there are no DBs to pick them off. :laugh:

TXBRONC
11-08-2011, 09:01 AM
I agree with Fox.

I don't think so. Yes he threw the ball away some but there were also several that were not meant to be thrown away.

nflfan
11-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Very nice bounce back performance from Tebow!

TXBRONC
11-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Very nice bounce back performance from Tebow!

There is still plenty he needs to work on but there is no denying he was better this week than he was last week.

catfish
11-08-2011, 10:11 AM
interesting site I happened across. These guys seem to have the same fascination with Tebow as you would watching a train wreck, but it does give play by play analysis of all Tebows action plays. (for those who can't watch the game, or don't feel like going back to verify what they saw)

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/view/22475988/1?mcctag=Tracking%20Tebow

rcsodak
11-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Last time i was there for a game, a guy 10yrs older tried to pick a fight with me.
looking forward to rd2 this weekend. Lol

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

rcsodak
11-08-2011, 01:00 PM
I don't care how much we run or pass or how many picks Champ gets so long as the end result is a "W". IMO, the Chiefs are a better all-around team than Oakland. I think it'll be a bigger challenge because they played a more disciplined brand of football. The Raiders penalties are what allowed the Broncos the chance to stay in the game. The Chiefs won't make those same mistakes. So soon do we forget that the Raiders are the ones that kept the Broncos in the game and not the Broncos keeping the Broncos in the game.
I'm sure it was TT willing them to draw flags.

rcsodak
11-08-2011, 01:02 PM
It will be a lot harder to run the shotgun running schemes against the 3-4. More onus on Tebow making some early throws to loosen up the defense.
Clady better find those "dancing bear" feet that made him shanny's g.o.a.t. against Hali. Or mccoy better give him help. Otherwise it could be a long day.

BroncoStud
11-08-2011, 01:14 PM
I bet to differ. Jacksonville's offensive line is worse than ours. Jacksonville's receivers are "worse" than ours. Their running back is one of the best in the NFL, but all he does is rack up yards between the 20s with the occasional touchdown because their offensive line can't open holes for him or give him time to bounce to the outside with eight in the box. Gabbert also didn't have ANY off-season work and a very abbreviated training camp. He'll be fine once Jacksonville's FO gives him, like any QB, the tools he needs to succeed.

Mark Sanchez is a turnover machine regardless, but he's doing something right having been to two AFCCG in his brief career. Pretty invalid comparison IMO.

I disagree wit this. Sanchez plays for a team with a good system, good targets, good running game, and great defense. His job should be EASY, but it's not, at least for him.

Blaine Gabbert is awful, simply horrible. Doesn't make good reads, doesn't hit guys in stride, looks as lost as you get back there. At times, so does Josh Freeman, who is highly overrated. Colt McCoy will make the occasional play, but overall he's not impressive in the least, Sam Bradford struggles to do ANYTHING and he was supposed to be NFL-ready out of OU.

I just think it's obvious Tebow is held to a different standard. A lot of it is because of his fanatical fans, but the rest of it is because the media likes to invent stories.

Tebow showed improvement, the team has no better options, he should be expected to struggle, more than most perhaps, but despite ALL of his issues learning the QB position, he has this team playing better and doing more on offense.

catfish
11-08-2011, 02:18 PM
don't know if this definately belongs in this thread, or even this forum. found a post after Tebow's year behind Chris Leak....the parallels are amusing

http://cfbauthority.blogspot.com/2007/07/tim-tebow-myth.html

JMac
11-08-2011, 03:14 PM
The interesting thing is what he actually accomplished the next year--'07.

It would be difficult to argue those numbers.

234 of 350 3,286 yards 66.9% Completion Rate 9.4 yds/ pass attempt 32 touchdowns 172.47 Passer rating

210 rushes for 895 yards 4.26 yds/carry 23 touchdowns

I hope some of this eventually translates in Denver. Here's hoping

vandammage13
11-08-2011, 03:42 PM
don't know if this definately belongs in this thread, or even this forum. found a post after Tebow's year behind Chris Leak....the parallels are amusing

http://cfbauthority.blogspot.com/2007/07/tim-tebow-myth.html

Haha...interesting. Pretty much the exact same things they are saying now...

nflfan
11-08-2011, 10:37 PM
There is still plenty he needs to work on but there is no deny he was better this week than he was last week.

Good job also by Fox and crew to tailor the offense to Tebow's strengths. Tebow only attempted 5 passes in the 2nd half, yet the Raiders' defense were unprepared for this type of attack.

We'l see how effective this type of offense can be in the NFL, now that teams have film to study. It could start a trend, like it did in college, or it might just be a fad, like the wildcat was.

wayninja
11-08-2011, 10:48 PM
I just think it's obvious Tebow is held to a different standard. A lot of it is because of his fanatical fans, but the rest of it is because the media likes to invent stories.

This is undoubtedly true. The Broncos could pull of a miracle upset and win the superbowl this year and I would bet the majority of the talking heads will still be at best saying "the jury is still out" and "can he win superbowls consistently?" blah blah

nflfan
11-08-2011, 11:26 PM

I disagree.

imo, there are just 2 factors that play into the opposing spectrum love-hate feelings fans and the media have for him.

First, he's been extremely successful at every stage of his football career, so it's fair to rationalize that he can find a way to be a successful QB in the NFL.

Second, his passing mechanics lead to inconsistencies, and his QB'ing instincts with respect to passing are highly underdeveloped. For an NFL starter, he has very below average passing skills, so it's fair for people to question just how far a team can go with these current shortcomings in the modern NFL.

Tebow die-hards aren't objective, but I seriously doubt that plays into any analysts opinions of him. If anything, rabid fans or anti-fans just make the story more intriguing for the press.

Can the Broncos win a Superbowl with Tebow QB'ing with this style of offense? Can he become a consistent NFL calibre passer? Does he even need to be one, for the Broncos to be successful?

The more the Broncos play him, the more they find out.