View Full Version : Broncos to Interview Bowles

Ziggy
01-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Broncos to interview Todd Bowles
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/07/2009 06:51:37 AM MST
Updated: 01/07/2009 06:53:10 AM MST

A Bill Parcells disciple has emerged as perhaps the NFL's hottest head-coaching candidate.

And the Broncos have arranged to meet him.

Candidate No. 7 to replace Mike Shanahan is Todd Bowles, secondary/assistant head coach of the Miami Dolphins. He will interview Thursday with the Broncos.

Bowles is also considered a candidate for the head coaching vacancies in Detroit and St. Louis.

In recent years, Bowles has been following Parcells. He was the Dallas Cowboys' secondary coach under Parcells from 2005-06, and stayed with Wade Phillips in 2007. This season, Parcells took over the Dolphins' football operations and hired Bowles to be his secondary/assistant head coach.

Bowles, 35, had 15 interceptions during an eight-year playing career spent mostly with the Washington Redskins. He also worked on staffs headed by Al Groh with the New York Jets in 2000 and Cleveland's Butch Davis from 2001-04.

This name seemed to come out of nowhere. Anyone have more info on this guy?

claymore
01-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Boooooooooo

SmilinAssasSin27
01-07-2009, 09:25 AM
why boo? what do ya know about the guy to already havethat negative on an opinion of him?

broncofaninfla
01-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Interesting that they bring him in after interviewing the others. Makes me think they aren't in love with anybody they have met with.

BroncoWave
01-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Interesting that they bring him in after interviewing the others. Makes me think they aren't in love with anybody they have met with.

I disagree. I think Bowlen just wants to interview as many guys as possible just to make sure he gets the right guy. Just because you haven't heard Bowles' name until today doesn't mean he hasn't been on Bowlen's radar for a while.

Superchop 7
01-07-2009, 12:28 PM
"Great" secondary coach.

In order to lure him away from the Cowboys, Parcells did what he had to do....

Not ready to be a head coach imo.

Dortoh
01-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Treading water until Spags can be interviewed.

JKcatch724
01-07-2009, 01:57 PM

Spags has been interviewed.

LRtagger
01-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Not formally.

Lonestar
01-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Spags has been interviewed.

He was chatted with over dinner.. Hardly a formal interview..

Slick
01-07-2009, 02:15 PM
It seems like Pat and Co. are trying to explore all options. As a Bronco fan, that's about all I can ask.

Dean
01-07-2009, 07:22 PM

. . . or thrashing in the dark because the selection committee is unsure exactly what it is they want and what to ask to identify the applicants position.

Lancane
01-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Are any of us really sure who is what, and where is how at this time?

It is quite possible that Denver has secretly found their Head Coach (Many sources have indicated that there are favorites). Not that I agree, but it is possible that Bowlen is preparing a staff as well. Bowles and Morris have been interviewed as Head Coaching candidates correct? Or so we been told, not denying it either. But they could be lured to a better position such as Assistant Head Coach / Defensive Coordinator if they do not receive a better offer from elsewhere. Personally I think they offered it to Morris, but he declined and Bowles would be far more likely to accept. And again I am not saying that is true, but it is a possibility.

The only name I have heard they are continuing on without is Spagnuolo, according to Lombardi and Schefter Denver is planning to go on without him. It could be just opinionative on their part, but I tend to believe them.

Dean
01-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Are any of us really sure who is what, and where is how at this time?

? That sounds like Bob Dylan trippin'.

It is quite possible that Denver has secretly found their Head Coach (Many sources have indicated that there are favorites). Not that I agree, but it is possible that Bowlen is preparing a staff as well. Bowles and Morris have been interviewed as Head Coaching candidates correct? Or so we been told, not denying it either. But they could be lured to a better position such as Assistant Head Coach / Defensive Coordinator if they do not receive a better offer from elsewhere. Personally I think they offered it to Morris, but he declined and Bowles would be far more likely to accept. And again I am not saying that is true, but it is a possibility.

The only name I have heard they are continuing on without is Spagnuolo, according to Lombardi and Schefter Denver is planning to go on without him. It could be just opinionative on their part, but I tend to believe them.

If you are saying that no one outside for the selection committee has a clue what is going on then I whole heartedly agree. At this point they may well have already made a decission or they may not, yet, have a clue who they believe to be "best" for the Broncos. Either way it is my guess that they aren't sspreading that around to other front offices, to columnists, or to John Q. Public.

Lancane
01-07-2009, 08:59 PM
? That sounds like Bob Dylan trippin'.

If you are saying that no one outside for the selection committee has a clue what is going on then I whole heartedly agree. At this point they may well have already made a decission or they may not, yet, have a clue who they believe to be "best" for the Broncos. Either way it is my guess that they aren't sspreading that around to other front offices, to columnists, or to John Q. Public.

Pretty much, but with them interviewing candidates that let's be honest are 'suspect' with the plethura of proven coaches and coordinators out there leaves me to believe that all these interviews are not simply for the head coaching position! And as I said that is my opinion...lol. But Capers and Crennel may be just reporters looking to cash in on the whole situation...when in two weeks we could see McDaniels named Head Coach and the likes of Bowles introduced as the Assistant Head Coach / Defensive Coordinator, or something like that!

;)

Tned
01-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Pretty much, but with them interviewing candidates that let's be honest are 'suspect' with the plethura of proven coaches and coordinators out there leaves me to believe that all these interviews are not simply for the head coaching position! And as I said that is my opinion...lol. But Capers and Crennel may be just reporters looking to cash in on the whole situation...when in two weeks we could see McDaniels named Head Coach and the likes of Bowles introduced as the Assistant Head Coach / Defensive Coordinator, or something like that!

;)

Unless Bowlen really screws the pooch, he won't interviewing/hiring any coordinators until he has hired a HC. It would be a colossal mistake for Bowlen to not allow his head coach to hire the coordinators.

Lancane
01-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Unless Bowlen really screws the pooch, he won't interviewing/hiring any coordinators until he has hired a HC. It would be a colossal mistake for Bowlen to not allow his head coach to hire the coordinators.

I said it is possible, not fact...

Crennel was supposedly wanting to stay in Cleveland, but Rob Ryan is likely the next D-Coordinator, so he could be coming to Denver with McDaniels. It is also likely that McDaniels will look to bring in someone else from a whole different system. At this point I would not discount any scenario...

Requiem / The Dagda
01-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Lets hire all these guys and have a coaching party.

Lancane
01-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Lets hire all these guys and have a coaching party.

Hell, we could just have a royal rumble on the WWE with all those being interviewed and really generate some talk! Hahaha...

That would be a unique way to find the next head coach, and we will be on the news for a year or so with that debacle...lol.