PDA

View Full Version : Is Denver Ready?

Traveler
01-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Since folks seem to be skirting around the edges, I'll break the ice.

Are Bronco fans ready for the possibility of our first African-American as the HC?

Though there is no clear front-runner for the job (contrary to some reports), I applaud Bowlen for not making the normal cursory interviews to comply with league rules concerning minority hiring.

May the best man win!

Comments....

MOtorboat
01-07-2009, 08:27 AM
I don't care if he's purple, as long as he makes the defense better.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-07-2009, 08:28 AM
and how!

Nomad
01-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Why not? As long as he can do the job and be successful (which doesn't mean a SB every year), I don't care what race the guy is.

claymore
01-07-2009, 08:30 AM
I couldnt care less. There isnt a black coach I can say I want besides Tomlin though. Morris, isnt ready IMO, Crennel Im not high on for HC, Dungy, no thanks, Edwards hell no....

The pool of black coaches is prety small so thats the only hinderence IMO.

Rick
01-07-2009, 08:34 AM
There was a black guy? I was too busy focusing on their skills to even notice...

Nomad
01-07-2009, 08:36 AM
I couldnt care less. There isnt a black coach I can say I want besides Tomlin though. Morris, isnt ready IMO, Crennel Im not high on for HC, Dungy, no thanks, Edwards hell no....

The pool of black coaches is prety small so thats the only hinderence IMO.

Tomlin had the tools to work with already thanks to Cowher, but I'm not taking anything away from Tomlin.

Denver is a different challenge for any coach, black, white, or purple. Denver has a poor defense, an immature young offense and a mediocre ST!

Traveler
01-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Tomlin had the tools to work with already thanks to Cowher, but I'm not taking anything away from Tomlin.

Denver is a different challenge for any coach, black, white, or purple. Denver has a poor defense, an immature young offense and a mediocre ST!

You're being quite nice concerning ST. ;)

broncos9697
01-07-2009, 08:51 AM
I dont care what color he is this is 2009 a great coach is a great coach color is not a factot at all..
I dont care if we hire a midget as long as he can coach and bring the right tools with him.

broncofaninfla
01-07-2009, 08:58 AM

I agree, I don't care what color as long as he gets the job done. I will say IF Denver does hire a minority as a coach, I hope the media doesn't make that big a deal of it. It's been done a dozen times before in the league and truly isn't a big deal and doesn't deserve any extra press.

Dirk
01-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Oh I think so as long as he is a winning HC.

Remember that Denver had the first modern day African American quarterback in the NFL in Marlin Briscoe. So the fans will be fine...as long as he is a winner! :salute:

chanesaw
01-07-2009, 09:34 AM
I doubt anybody on this board would care what color the new head coach is.

Bronco Bible
01-07-2009, 09:43 AM
I agree with the 9798, but would add with pink polka dots as long as...

CoachChaz
01-07-2009, 09:56 AM

Exactly why we need a hardass to come in and take charge. Wont happen though

horsesense
01-07-2009, 10:02 AM
just as long as he bleeds orange and blue.

NameUsedBefore
01-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Dammit, I meant to vote no just for the sake of being polemic.

I'd prefer Spagnuolo over Morris, though.

Tned
01-07-2009, 10:40 AM

Are Bronco fans ready for the possibility of our first African-American as the HC?

Though there is no clear front-runner for the job (contrary to some reports), I applaud Bowlen for not making the normal cursory interviews to comply with league rules concerning minority hiring.

May the best man win!

Comments....

I don't see why not. Many, if not most, players are African American. It isn't like it is 'unusual' to see an African American coach on the NFL sidelines as HC or otherwise. Same with other sports (although I really only follow baseball other than the Broncos).

While I am sure there could be a few people (pro or con) who consider race a factor in who will be the new head coach, I think for most it is purely about which coach will give us the best chance of getting back to the playoffs and ultimately the SB.

Northman
01-07-2009, 10:42 AM

Yea, there should of been a "dont care" option. I just want the team to improve i dont care who it is or what color they are.

broncofaninfla
01-07-2009, 10:56 AM
My favorite candidates are white but the are my favorites based on what I feel they can bring to the team and not because they are white. I want Spags but I have faith that Bowlen and Goodman will select the best man for the job.

KCL
01-07-2009, 10:58 AM

May the best man win!

Comments....

I see no problem with it..and I will even buy Herm's one way ticket to
Denver.

frauschieze
01-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Denver.

Boooooooo.......

KCL
01-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Boooooooo.......

Exactly

Tned
01-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Boooooooo.......

Triple, boooo.

Actually, I like Herm. I am surprised by the results in KC, but they also turned over something like 2/3rds of their roster last year and still were competitive in some games (even the ones they lost).

It is so hard to know how much is personnel issues and how much head coaching issues.

KCL
01-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Triple, boooo.

Actually, I like Herm. I am surprised by the results in KC, but they also turned over something like 2/3rds of their roster last year and still were competitive in some games (even the ones they lost).

It is so hard to know how much is personnel issues and how much head coaching issues.

Yea despite our record the Chiefs played well in some games but I think it is just time for KC to clean house.Getting Carl out was the first step...may Herm follow him as well as Gun.

Sorry off topic.

Medford Bronco
01-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Denver.

I would rather we bring back Wade Phillps over Hermie. :shocked::lol:

Herm is a dreadful coach, always has been.

Sorry KCL :D

OB
01-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Its about ability not color - why should color even be an issue :confused:

I wouldnt want to hire one just cause he's black but if a black dude was the best fit than honestly - would anyone care - if he brought us to the SB within 3 years of becoming HC would anyone who did care - continue to care? - NO

Nomad
01-07-2009, 11:43 AM
I didn't know where to put this, but Simeon Rice said he wants to come back:lol: to Denver if Morris is hired as HC and thinks John Lynch will come back as well.

KCL
01-07-2009, 11:47 AM
I would rather we bring back Wade Phillps over Hermie. :shocked::lol:

Herm is a dreadful coach, always has been.

Sorry KCL :D

No need for apologies...I agree with you.

Grover
01-07-2009, 11:56 AM
I didn't know where to put this, but Simeon Rice said he wants to come back to Denver if Morris is hired as HC and thinks John Lynch will come back as well.

Wow, two very good reasons not to hire Morris. But then I'm sure Morris is savvy enough not to take Simeon up on his offer.

Back to the white vs. black coach issue. I don't think it makes any difference to Bowlen and the other leaders of the Broncos. It shouldn't make any difference to the fans either. If it does, then those particular fans can stay home and watch games (or not), and not be out in public polluting the environment.

Superchop 7
01-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Funny......hadn't really thought about it this way.....but all of the guys I like are minorities....

Jim Johnson- Too Old
Ron Rivera- Hispanic
Leslie Frazier- African American

Spags is also out of the Jim Johnson pipeline, caucasian, and the right age. (Currently the "hot" candidate)

Not my choice but you may be on to something........it takes an owner that isn't biased........from a resume perspective.....I can't think of a single reason other than age that Jim Johnson isn't a head coach.

For Rivera, he may be a bit of a loose canon. (like Ryan)

For Frazier, well, he just got schooled by Jim Johnson.

But, as I said in the other thread, the pipeline is what I'm after.

topscribe
01-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Triple, boooo.

Actually, I like him, too. I think he has endured a lot of criticism because of
the performance undeveloped talent there. Personally, I would like to see
Herm shipped clear out of the AFCW because what is happening in KC is scary
to this Broncos fan.

Regarding having a black coach, I don't see what is the difference. Whether
the coach is black, white, brown, or purple . . . wins and championships are all
the same color . . .

-----

Dirk
01-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Actually I see what is happening in KC as well. Hermes is on to something. They are just one step away from being awesome. When they learn to close a game out, they will be a playoff team. IMO

DenBronx
01-07-2009, 01:47 PM
of course denvers ready for a black coach. but it just so happens the dude that is most qualified for the job right now is white. his name is spagnuolo. i dont want to hire a guy just because of color. there may be a few diamond in the ruffs that are black but i think the guy best suited for this team is spag because he is proven more than the db coach from tampa. i want to see this team get back to winning ways and we need someone that can do that.

can someone please throw out a few names of the black coaches that they think would be a good nfl head coach? i dont see too many and maybe thats a problem in the college level. if they were recruiting more black head coaches in the college level then we would see more qualified black coaches in the nfl. right now i see more white coaches that would be more inticing to this organization. just my opinion and maybe it's the screwed up system that's not giving these guys a chance.

i dont care if it's the invisible man coaching us. just get us a lombardi trophy!

BroncoJoe
01-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Non issue. Why are you trying to make it one?

eessydo
01-07-2009, 01:55 PM
I agree, non-issue especially in a tolerant state like Colorado. Nobody cares what color or race the next HC is, I just want to have the best guy.

Slick
01-07-2009, 01:55 PM
This is not a shot at you traveler for starting the thread, but thinking like this is exactly why the race issue never dies. I'm past it, I'm pretty sure all of us are. Bowlen will hire who he ultimately thinks is the best man for the job. Period.

Traveler
01-07-2009, 02:24 PM
This is not a shot at you traveler for starting the thread, but thinking like this is exactly why the race issue never dies. I'm past it, I'm pretty sure all of us are. Bowlen will hire who he ultimately thinks is the best man for the job. Period.

I agree! My hope is that the best guy gets the job.

Not making it an issue per se. I wanted to make those aware of something they may not even realize they were doing. I started the thread because I was getting annoyed reading the same comment from several posters here and elsewhere that, "The team is just fulfilling it's requirement for the Rooney Rule." I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one that was slightly annoyed.

That comment comes across as dismissive of the candidate before many knew his qualifications (or lackthereof).

broncophan
01-07-2009, 02:29 PM
as long as it's not Art Shell.........:D

Slick
01-07-2009, 02:29 PM

Not making it an issue per se. I wanted to make those aware of something they may not even realize. I started the thread because I was getting annoyed reading the same comment from several posters here and elsewhere that, "The team is just fulfilling it's requirement for the Rooney Rule." I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one that was slightly annoyed.

That comment comes across as dismissive of the candidate before many knew his qualifications (or lackthereof).

It's too bad a Rooney Rule even exists.

I'm of the opinion that Pat is looking for a young guy. A coach that he thinks will relate to today's players. Seems even more relevant considering how young our team is.

Traveler
01-07-2009, 02:33 PM
It's too bad a Rooney Rule even exists.

I'm of the opinion that Pat is looking for a young guy. A coach that he thinks will relate to today's players. Seems even more relevant considering how young our team is.

I'm hoping that Pat is looking for a younger coach too. Would hate to be going through this again anytime soon.

Raheem Morris' comment about relating to the younger players was classic. Paraphrasing, he said, " I want to be able to relate to the older players also, not just the younger ones."

broncophan
01-07-2009, 02:37 PM
I'm hoping that Pat is looking for a younger coach too. Would hate to be going through this again anytime soon.

Yes......we have been lucky for the most part.....to only hire a coach about every 10 to 12 years......with the exception of Wade Phillips........

Denver Native (Carol)
01-07-2009, 02:52 PM
My opinion - if anyone's coaching preference is based on skin color, they are not a real fan - i.e. - we need the BEST candidate for the job - end of story.

fcspikeit
01-07-2009, 03:38 PM
You can say is Denver ready, but the only way to really know the answer to that is to say, are you ready? Beings the answer to your question is dependent upon the fans being ready..

Either way, the pole wouldn't be accurate with the vote of each member being made public..

Therefore my answer is, who knows?

Traveler
01-07-2009, 03:55 PM
You can say is Denver ready, but the only way to really know the answer to that is to say, are you ready?Beings the answer to your question is dependent upon the fans being ready..

Either way, the pole wouldn't be accurate with the vote of each member being made public..

Therefore my answer is, who knows?

Why not?

fcspikeit
01-07-2009, 04:05 PM
My opinion - if anyone's coaching preference is based on skin color, they are not a real fan - i.e. - we need the BEST candidate for the job - end of story.

Yet the NFL can fine a team 200.000 for not interviewing a guy based on his skin color..:confused:

Kind of a double standard..

If it were only about hiring the best guy for the job, there would be no Rooney rule. No matter who we hire, some will argue he wasn't the best guy for the job. That is a matter of opinion.. The only opinion that should matter is that of the owner. It's his team! The NFL is getting pressure to force one of the owners to sell to a minority, either that or allow another expansion team who can be owned by a minority. The NFL got pushed into having 30% minority coaches. Maybe they should be forced to have 70 Majority players?

At what point did it stop being about putting the best team together and start being about skin color? Enforcing rules like the Rooney rule is a good place to look....

fcspikeit
01-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Why not?

LOL... Who is going to publicly say, "I am not ready for a minority coach"? Regardless the reason, they would get flamed to no end. That's why.

Hell, it's to the point you have to really think about what words to use so you don't offend people or give them a reason to scream racist... People get upset if you say Black coach for crying out load... LOL

Just like I suspect to get a lot more Salutes from this post then I do high fives ;)

Slick
01-07-2009, 04:15 PM
LOL... Who is going to publicly say, "I am not ready for a minority coach"? Regardless the reason, they would get flamed to no end. That's why.

Hell, it's to the point you have to really think about what words to use so you don't offend people or give them a reason to scream racist... People get upset if you say Black coach for crying out load... LOL

One day, we'll just call him a coach. Period. The adjective won't be necessary.

fcspikeit
01-07-2009, 04:28 PM
One day, we'll just call him a coach. Period. The adjective won't be necessary.

I hope so!

That day will never come until we as a nation stop asking for your race on collage applications, giving out extra points on that same application because of what you write in, employers hiring people based on their skin color, gender or origin.

The only way that can stop is if we stop forcing collages and employers to meet a % based on skin color, gender or origin...

Lonestar
01-07-2009, 04:28 PM
I take exception to hiring based on race, white black or in between..

I hope someday this will not even be an issue, that folks feel a need to report like it was below..

Lets just hope that Pat picks the best qualified coach pink or purple.. Who cares..

Miami's Todd Bowles Will Interview On Thursday
By Pat Graham, AP Sports Writer

Rick Dennison served 14 seasons as Mike Shanahan's disciple, and now he wants to be his replacement.

The Denver Broncos offensive coordinator met with team owner Pat Bowlen on Tuesday after expressing interest in the position following Shanahan's firing last week.

The Broncos spoke with Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett later in the afternoon. Leslie Frazier, the defensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings, will interview Wednesday. CBS4 Broncos Insider Gary Miller has found out the Miami assistant coach Todd Bowles will interview on Thursday. Bowles will be the third African American interviewed for the job out of seven candidates so far.

The Broncos have already interviewed Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive coordinator Raheem Morris, New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

Shanahan was fired last week after the Broncos missed the playoffs for the third straight season, done in by a series of personnel gaffes and several bad drafts on defense.

Garrett was a hot commodity at this time a year ago, spurning offers from Atlanta and Baltimore to be head coach after Dallas agreed to make him the league's highest-paid assistant at $3 million.

Garrett's star lost some luster this season as Tony Romo struggled and the Cowboys' offense sputtered, finishing 13th in the league in total yards despite a wealth of expensive talent.

Garrett, who has been coaching for four years in the NFL, told Dallas-Fort Worth television station KTVT Tuesday that he is ready to lead an NFL team.

"I felt like I was ready to do it last year. I felt it was the best situation for me to stay in Dallas last year and again, I am excited to have the opportunity to speak with the Broncos," Garrett told the station.

Dennison, a linebacker for the Broncos from 1982-90, has been on Denver's staff since 1995, serving as special teams coach and then offensive line guru, before being promoted to offensive coordinator in 2006.

Morris' interview Monday lasted more than four hours as he met with different personnel and toured the building. The 32-year-old earned a promotion from secondary coach to defensive coordinator in Tampa Bay after longtime assistant Monte Kiffin left for the University of Tennessee, where his son, Lane, is now coaching.

Shanahan is expected to take a year off before returning to coaching. He has three years and more than $20 million left on his contract, and sitting out next season would cost Bowlen close to $7 million.

Bowlen doesn't plan on giving his next coach the same kind of power he afforded Shanahan, preferring to split the head coach and general manager's jobs. He said that he'll focus on finding a GM once he hires a coach.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/broncos.dennison.coach.2.901508.html

fcspikeit
01-07-2009, 04:37 PM
I take exception to hiring based on race, white black or in between..

I hope someday this will not even be an issue, that folks feel a need to report like it was below..

Lets just hope that Pat picks the best qualified coach pink or purple.. Who cares..

CBS4 Broncos Insider Gary Miller has found out the Miami assistant coach Todd Bowles will interview on Thursday. Bowles will be the third African American interviewed for the job out of seven candidates so far.

Why does Bowles name sound familiar? Was that the coach who got turned down for the job that led to Barkley screaming racist?

MOtorboat
01-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Why does Bowles name sound familiar? Was that the coach who got turned down for the job that led to Barkley screaming racist?

I don't know about Bowles, but that was Turner Gil at Buffalo, for the Auburn job, when they hired Gene Chizik, who is definitely not qualified to run Auburn after wallowing at Iowa State the last few years.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Bowles will be the third African American interviewed for the job out of seven candidates so far

As far as I am concerned, there is no NEED for anyone reporting to even state something like this. All that needed to be said was Bowles will be one of seven coaches the Broncos will/have interviewed.

bcbronc
01-07-2009, 04:58 PM
I guess I'm okay with a coloured coach. as long as he's not gay.

:coffee:

fcspikeit
01-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Bowles will be the third African American interviewed for the job out of seven candidates so far

As far as I am concerned, there is no NEED for anyone reporting to even state something like this. All that needed to be said was Bowles will be one of seven coaches the Broncos will/have interviewed.

Your right, It was a racist comment.

What does the comment imply? If the report had said, "The Broncos have interviewed 7 Caucasians for their head coaching position" They would be implying Bowlen is a racist..

It might be smart for Bowlen to hire an African American coach... More then a few African American players have said they played harder for their African American coaches...

It would have been a crucifiable offense had they been Caucasian and said that about playing for a Caucasian coach...

It was none the less just as racist!

Maybe we could get LJ to come here... :coffee:

fcspikeit
01-07-2009, 05:06 PM
I guess I'm okay with a coloured coach. as long as he's not gay.

:coffee:

How about a female as head coach? Maybe it's time we force the NFL to give them a chance?

JONtheBRONCO
01-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Green Jacket, Gold Jacket, who gives a shit...

fcspikeit
01-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Green Jacket, Gold Jacket, who gives a shit...

If he came wearing a future gold jacket I could live with that ;)

topscribe
01-07-2009, 07:15 PM

Not making it an issue per se. I wanted to make those aware of something they may not even realize they were doing. I started the thread because I was getting annoyed reading the same comment from several posters here and elsewhere that, "The team is just fulfilling it's requirement for the Rooney Rule." I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one that was slightly annoyed.

The only thing is, the team is interviewing two black coaches, as I understand:
Morris and the guy at Minnesota. So if all they needed was to satisfy the
"Rooney Rule," then they wouldn't have needed to do it with both. So, while
I'm sure they are aware of the rule, I am also sure they are interviewing
persons they believe are top candidates and not just being equal rights
employers.

-----

MOtorboat
01-07-2009, 07:17 PM
The only thing is, the team is interviewing two black coaches, as I understand:
Morris and the guy at Minnesota. So if all they needed was to satisfy the
"Rooney Rule," then they wouldn't have needed to do it with both. So, while
I'm sure they are aware of the rule, I am also sure they are interviewing
persons they believe are top candidates and not just being equal rights
employers.

-----

I'll be honest. I thought Morris was the token candidate, but I've been proven wrong, and I like that.

TXBRONC
01-07-2009, 09:44 PM
I don't care what color the man's skin is just as long as he gets this team back on the right track.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-07-2009, 09:52 PM
I forget who said it, but someone on ESPN or NFLN said blacks won't truly have equality in coaching until they start to have retreads who keep getting hired like Fassell, etc.

KCL
01-07-2009, 10:27 PM
When Vermeil retired and they brought in Herm as the HC...skin color didn't even cross my mind.I just knew of him as a former player and the former coach of the Jets.

fcspikeit
01-07-2009, 10:42 PM
I forget who said it, but someone on ESPN or NFLN said blacks won't truly have equality in coaching until they start to have retreads who keep getting hired like Fassell, etc.

Herm Edwards anyone? :confused:

fcspikeit
01-07-2009, 10:43 PM
When Vermeil retired and they brought in Herm as the HC...skin color didn't even cross my mind.I just knew of him as a former player and the former coach of the Jets.

LJ didn't see it that way...

KCL
01-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Herm Edwards anyone? :confused:

:eek:

Yes take him and I will throw LJ in the deal.

KCL
01-07-2009, 10:54 PM
LJ didn't see it that way...

consider the source

fcspikeit
01-07-2009, 11:38 PM
consider the source

LJ said it himself on inside the NFL. Then Cris Carter agreed with him...

KCL
01-07-2009, 11:40 PM
LJ said it himself on inside the NFL. Then Cris Carter agreed with him...

I know he didn't like Vermeil...is that what you're referring to? I believe it is.Like I said consider the source.LJ isn't a team player and is a very immature person IMO...If KC lets him go...I wouldn't complain.

fcspikeit
01-07-2009, 11:52 PM
I know he didn't like Vermeil...is that what you're referring to? I believe it is.Like I said consider the source.LJ isn't a team player and is a very immature person IMO...If KC lets him go...I wouldn't complain.

He said he ran harder for Edwards because he was black... He said he couldn't respect Vermeil because he was white and he didn't know the struggles of the black athlete :rolleyes:

Cris Carter then said, he felt the same way about Denis Green. He said he played harder for him because he was black. No one said anything except for Collinsworth, he said that wasn't right! I'm sure everyone else was afraid of being the next Limbaugh..

If a white athlete had said he couldn't respect a black coach because he was black, everyone would have freaked out..

KCL
01-08-2009, 12:02 AM
He said he ran harder for Edwards because he was black... He said he couldn't respect Vermeil because he was white and he didn't know the struggles of the black athlete :rolleyes:

Cris Carter then said, he felt the same way about Denis Green. He said he played harder for him because he was black. No one said anything except for Collinsworth, he said that wasn't right! I'm sure everyone else was afraid of being the next Limbaugh..

If a white athlete had said he couldn't respect a black coach because he was black, everyone would have freaked out..

I agree....LJ is an ass...:rolleyes: Vermeil told him it was time to take the diapers off when Priest Holmes got hurt.I didn't blame him.He was crying about sitting on the bench being Holmes's backup. Hello...He WAS the backup at the time...idiot.

fcspikeit
01-08-2009, 01:03 AM
[/FONT]

I agree....LJ is an ass...:rolleyes: Vermeil told him it was time to take the diapers off when Priest Holmes got hurt.I didn't blame him.He was crying about sitting on the bench being Holmes's backup. Hello...He WAS the backup at the time...idiot.

Vermeil was knows as being one of the best player coaches of all time, In LJ's mind Vermeil wouldn't start him because he was black, never mind the fact Holmes was black :confused:

Hell, he was the league leading rusher, what did LJ want Vermeil to do, sit him on the bench?

LJ is a punk! I hope he doesn't come here, I would rather have the drug dealer back...

Crush05
01-08-2009, 01:18 AM
Of course we are!!! If Broncos fans cannot look beyond skin color and at the person for the qualities he/she possess...... I would be ashamed to be a fan!!!!!

Lonestar
01-08-2009, 03:04 PM

both art schell and denny green have been hired many times.. I suspect there are many others also .. those two came immediately to mind when I read this..

Lonestar
01-08-2009, 03:11 PM

Seems to me that some athletes have more issues with skin color than doing their job.. words to think about.. Personally I hope that we do not have any on our team..

If we do it is time IMHO to get rid of them white, black, pink or purple..

spikerman
01-08-2009, 06:15 PM
IMO, the best thing we, as a society can do to stop focusing on these issues is to remove the word "African" from "African-American". Why can't we all just be "Americans"?