PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible?

PatricktheDookie
01-07-2009, 08:01 AM
Can our defense be worse in 2009?

I thought about this in 2006 and figured we couldn't possibly do any worse. Then last offseason I thought about it again and came to the same conclusion.

Yet, every time I think our defense has bottomed out, the Broncos somehow manage to lower the bar even further. I guess that's impressive in its own right...

So, for the third straight year, I'm asking: is it possible for our defense to do worse in 2009? How would this even be possible? More injuries? Failure to adapt to a new scheme? Offensive failures compounding defensive breakdowns? Drama in the locker room? Leadership breakdown? What hasn't broken for us yet that might next year?

What if we still haven't bottomed out? D=

SR
01-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? No.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Statistically, i doubt it. We play some great defenses in 2009, but the offenses aren't that great. Philly, Wash, Bmore Clev, Cincy and Pitt aren't exactly offensive juggernauts...but then again, neither was Buffalo, Atlanta, etc.

But our D was pretty awful. It'd be hard for em to be worse. Our record may be worse, but I think the D should be improved.

broncofaninfla
01-07-2009, 09:31 AM
I have faith that no matter who comes in will cut at least half of the players who started last year. With the Goodmans at the helm, those vacancies are sure to be filled with people who skills easily surpass the scrubs who failed to get the job done this season.

Shazam!
01-07-2009, 09:47 AM
The Broncos defense CANNOT get any worse.

This is why Shanahan was dismissed.

Even if it was a middling defense in the league this season, Denver would've been in the playoffs and possibly beat Indy.

I have no doubt whoever is brought in will boost the defense at least a little bit by having guys motivated and not playing so passively.

Tned
01-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? No.

Yea, this sums up my thoughts.

Depending on what happens with personell moves, injuries and scheme learning curve (such as switching to a 3-4 for instance), it is 'possible' that we could get worse. However, considering how bad the Broncos defense was, even if there are learning curves or other issues, it is still fair to expect a better defense than we had this year.

Tned
01-07-2009, 10:44 AM
The Broncos defense CANNOT get any worse.

This is why Shanahan was dismissed.

Even if it was a middling defense in the league this season, Denver would've been in the playoffs and possibly beat Indy.

I have no doubt whoever is brought in will boost the defense at least a little bit by having guys motivated and not playing so passively.

Yes, it 'can' get worse. There were 3 or 4 defenses that were worse than the Broncos, so it certainly 'can' get worse. Is it likely, I don't think so.

Northman
01-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Is it possible, hell yea.

PatricktheDookie
01-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Anyone catch that statistic on Thanksgiving during the Lions game?

The Lions were shown as having the all-time worst passer rating against them as a defense.

Second place was a team from the 70s. Third place was a team from the 80s.

This year's Broncos were 4th.

fcspikeit
01-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Anyone catch that statistic on Thanksgiving during the Lions game?

The Lions were shown as having the all-time worst passer rating against them as a defense.

Second place was a team from the 70s. Third place was a team from the 80s.

This year's Broncos were 4th.

It's to bad Slowic didn't get another shot, I'm sure he could have claimed the #1 mark..

Who knows, Maybe he will get another chance when Shanny gets another coaching job?

underrated29
01-07-2009, 06:13 PM
It's to bad Slowic didn't get another shot, I'm sure he could have claimed the #1 mark..

Who knows, Maybe he will get another chance when Shanny gets another coaching job?

if thats the case then i do hope shanny goes to the chargers. Slow has the worst defense i have ever seen. EVER. I honestly think that i could have called a better defensive year than he did.

And i dont know hardly anything about football.

CrazyHorse
01-07-2009, 06:51 PM
It could get much worse.
Were talking bad, real bad, like 1981 Colts bad.

Broncospsycho77
01-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Yeah, it's possible that can happen, especially if the D guy we choose (or lack of one) pulls a Bates and puts some spare parts together behind a flaw-ridden scheme.

But it'll be hard to do that. The front office would almost have to try to get a D that bad.