PDA

View Full Version : Tebow MUST throw on 1st down!!!

MHCBill
11-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Yesterday's game changed in the second half on the first drive when Tebow was permitted to throw 3 separate occasions on 1st down.

This accomplishes two things. First, teams are filling the box on 1st down due to the high number of running plays that have been called. Makes it very difficult for the running back or Tebow to gain any yardage, setting up 2nd and long. At this point we have already put the offense in a hole, which can get deeper depending on what happens on 2nd down.

Second, it allows Tebow the best chance to have a completion by allowing the receivers to work 1-on-1 versus a DB or LB, which is almost always an advanatage for the offense. Receivers usually find more separation 1-on-1 due to the DB or LB not having safety help. This added space makes for easier completions and yards after the catch.

Letting Tebow make some completions on 1st down will help take defenses out of stuffing the box on 1st down, which will also make running the ball on 1st down that much easier. Then we can start to work toward more manageable downs on 2nd and 3rd down.

This is exactly what happened yesterday in the second half.

Now, will it continue?

rcsodak
11-07-2011, 12:25 PM
I agree. I just have issues with your wording....like 'LETTING TT MAKE some completions'. Thats all on him. But they DO need to stop being so conservative on early downs.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

underrated29
11-07-2011, 12:30 PM
yep, more or less this is the same premise I was working with in my first play should be a flea flicker.

Its so pathetically obvious we are running on first down, we need to throw and mix it up. Plus, like the great brady says- Take what the defense gives you. If they give you single man v man, you take it straight up and find that open guy or take a deep shot.