PDA

View Full Version : Would you have been happy with the field goal before half time?

sneakers
11-07-2011, 03:44 AM
Or would you have done what Fox did, and removed the points (with the 15 yard penalty and first down) and gone for the touchdown?

BroncoBJ
11-07-2011, 04:16 AM
With 17 seconds left, No. Not just saying that because we ended up getting 0 points, but I wouldn't have done it. Even said so at the time. I'm all for being aggressive and scoring more points, but with 17 seconds left, I thought nothing but a disaster would happen.

Now if there was a minute left or more, I would have been all for taking the 3 off the board and trying for 7. Even if there was only 45 seconds left probably. But 17 seconds left? Theres not much you can do in that situation. Take the 3. Go in to the half down by 7. Just glad it didn't end up costing us.

Joel
11-07-2011, 04:28 AM
Sure. It sucks that Prater happened to miss from 43, but that's a high percentage kick for him. I do kinda wonder what happens if we don't have the penalty before the first kick, then the kick, then another kick from 43; he basically had to kick that FG 2.5 times, and the more opportunities he has to miss an easy kick the greater the chance he'll miss it, which only has to happen once to cost us 3 points. But I would give up the FG again for a chance to get within 3 before the half in the Black Hole? Heck, yeah.

CrazyHorse
11-07-2011, 06:15 AM
Yeah I would have. You have a chance to score a touchdown and you can still kick the field goal if you don/t Prater just happened to miss on his second attempt. In the end it doesn't really matter because we still came away with a victory. Had we lost by 3 points I probably would have said otherwise.

TXBRONC
11-07-2011, 07:39 AM
Sure I would have been happy with a field goal. But I would have been happier with a touchdown. I personally wont criticize Fox for taking the points off the board when the Raiders are putting you in a position to score a touchdown.

Tned
11-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Or would you have done what Fox did, and removed the points (with the 15 yard penalty and first down) and gone for the touchdown?

At the time, I didn't think Fox was going to take the points off the board, but I thought with 17 seconds and a time out, that he should take the 15 yards and take a few shots at the endzone and the kick the field goal again if you don't get the TD.

Obviously, it didn't work out well, but I would have done what Fox did.

UnderArmour
11-07-2011, 08:24 AM
I like that Fox believes in his team enough to go for the touchdown. And in the second half, that belief turned out to be justified. So because we won, it was alright.

TXBRONC
11-07-2011, 10:05 AM
I like that Fox believes in his team enough to go for the touchdown. And in the second half, that belief turned out to be justified. So because we won, it was alright.

This situation was a lot different then say what the Dolphins did when they went for a two point conversion against us three weeks ago. Because even if you don't get the touchdown Prater should have still converted that field goal attempt after we didn't get a touchdown.

slim
11-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Take the 3 points, Fox.

That is twice (at least) this year you have ****** it up. Don't do it again.

lgenf
11-07-2011, 10:19 AM
we got a 1st down on penalty, we had a TO still in our pocket, I would have done exactly what Fox did

I would have attempted a couple of plays for the TD, of course you NEVER think your kicker is going to sack you there, I mean I know Prater has missed a few this year, but really, did anyone think, well he's gonna miss this one?

I know, on the road, you never take points off the board, but 15 yds closer and your guy just nailed it, the wind didn't look bad, everything about it said to go for the endzone.

Thnikkaman
11-07-2011, 10:29 AM
I would have been fine keeping the 3 on the board. We were going to get the ball back after the Half.

vandammage13
11-07-2011, 10:39 AM
With 17 seconds left its a risky move for sure...But I liked the confidence they showed in the offense to give them a chance to score a TD (We often blast Fox for his conservatism style, but this was a move that went against that, so I praise the call).

I didn't have too much of a problem with it because we still had a timeout and it should have been at worst a 33 yard attempt...Then Franklin got that holding call and it became a 43 yard attempt.

43 yards still should be 80% with Prater but it just didn't work out.

You play to win the game.

BORDERLINE
11-07-2011, 10:51 AM
If FOX would have left the points on the board everyone would be bagging on him for not going for the TD. It does suck that he didn't make it but glad it didn't cost us the game.

wayninja
11-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Hindsight is always 20/20, but you have to consider more than just the score here going into halftime. With the shaky way Tebow started, I would have kept the points and went into halftime with a small momentum victory.

If Tebow had started the first half the way he did the second half, I would have done what Fox did and got aggressive.

red98
11-07-2011, 11:05 AM

Removed the points, without question.

Foochacho
11-07-2011, 11:41 AM
My stream acted up at the time after the penalty. What happened? What kinda plays did we run after the penalty before the 2nd kick?

rcsodak
11-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Take the 3 points, Fox.

That is twice (at least) this year you have ****** it up. Don't do it again.
Agreed! Wgats the old axiom? NEVER take points off the board!

Seems we beat the raiders one year in a similar way.

1. What happened to Prater's 'I'm going to have a Pro Bowl year'?

2. I keep seeing comments where 'it's ok since we won'. REALLY? So since they won, its a gutsy, forgiven act? How about if they lose by those same 3pts? He's a dumbass and needs to be fired?
I bet most here were spittin teeth when he did that.

The hypocrisy here is hillarious. :laugh:

You have a qb who's been sacked 15x in the last 2 1/2 games to this point (which could take them out of fg range), and completes <50%.
And your fg kicker is 0-3 between 40-49 yds.
McGahee is avg'g <2ypc at the time.

He finallt makes one pulling you within 7 and you think you can do better with 15sec left?

Well.....I've always said lucks plays a 50% part in winning/losing.
Hope they dont use it all up in a lost season.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

BeefStew25
11-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Meh. Prater is solid. Had he made the second kick, wouldn't be an issue. Plus, Tebow needs those situations.

weazel
11-07-2011, 02:39 PM
he made the right call, he did what every other coach would have done... if you dont have faith in your team then you shouldnt be coaching them.

Buff
11-07-2011, 02:44 PM
I would have accepted the penalty and removed the points 100% of the time. I also would have called my kicker a mother****** when he missed the second attempt. Fox handled it correctly all the way around.