PDA

View Full Version : Exciting times ahead :cheers:

omac
01-06-2009, 09:45 PM
I was more pissed off at Shany's firing than losing the last 3 games; the Panthers showed what to do against a team that couldn't rely on the run, and the Chargers followed suit with us, then with the Colts.

I thought Pat flinched and made a knee-jerk reaction, and I still do. Now that it's done, though, it's opened up opportunities for us to get a top notch defensive coordinator, where before, we wouldn't be able to land one.

I'm excited about the possibility of getting Spags or Rex Ryan; I've been wanting Rex Ryan for Denver for a long time. Their defenses play with a lot of pride, heart, intelligence, discipline, and "mean-ness." Can't wait for some of that to rub off on the Broncos.

If they get either guy, I'll be excited for our defense. I just hope either has what it takes to be a real head coach. This could be a good next step. :beer:

G_Money
01-06-2009, 09:50 PM
I want to be excited, omac, I really do. There are interesting candidates out there. But man, I can't get into it.

We have been looking for a coach for a week.

I am now officially in Done Looking For A Coach Mode.

My whole offseason has ground to a ruthless and inexorable halt. We need to get on with this before my brain melts. :tsk:

~G

SmilinAssasSin27
01-06-2009, 09:54 PM
This is my second "new head coach" anxiety since November. Fumer's replacement took a month to name. That was gutwrenching.

Shazam!
01-06-2009, 10:11 PM
I have been waiting for this for the last few years. It has been coming since 2007 at least. I am excited.

I know the Broncos defense was just pathetic, but Denver lost too many games they had no business losing, either to horrible teams or performing like garbage especially at home the last two seasons.

To collapse down the stretch like they did this season is a humiliation. Shanahan had to answer for that.

I hope Bowlen brings in a guy who can light a fire under these guys asses and bring some hunger, drive, a standard and intensity back to a team that sorely needs it.

I know many are worried, but the Broncos will be ok.

BroncoWave
01-06-2009, 10:43 PM
This is my second "new head coach" anxiety since November. Fumer's replacement took a month to name. That was gutwrenching.

Same for me and Mississippi State. I can't take this much longer. The Giants need to hurry up and lose so that we can get Spags in here!

topscribe
01-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Same for me and Mississippi State. I can't take this much longer. The Giants need to hurry up and lose so that we can get Spags in here!

So how're you going to feel if the Giants lose and Garrett still comes in? :D

-----

BroncoWave
01-06-2009, 10:47 PM
So how're you going to feel if the Giants lose and Garrett still comes in? :D

-----

If we hire Jason Garrett I just might have to find the nearest bridge to jump off of! :lol:

omac
01-06-2009, 10:53 PM
I want to be excited, omac, I really do. There are interesting candidates out there. But man, I can't get into it.

We have been looking for a coach for a week.

I am now officially in Done Looking For A Coach Mode.

My whole offseason has ground to a ruthless and inexorable halt. We need to get on with this before my brain melts. :tsk:

~G

Unfortunately for us, some of the top guys we want are still in the playoffs. :D

Dunghy is a defensive coach, and when he took over Indy, it seems like he kept the offense the same and worked on their defense. I'm hoping for the same scenario here.

I'll be disappointed if we don't land Spags or Rex, but a bit at ease if we at least get a proven defense guy. I'd be majorly pissed if the Broncos went with an offensive coach.

omac
01-06-2009, 10:58 PM
I have been waiting for this for the last few years. It has been coming since 2007 at least. I am excited.

I know the Broncos defense was just pathetic, but Denver lost too many games they had no business losing, either to horrible teams or performing like garbage especially at home the last two seasons.

To collapse down the stretch like they did this season is a humiliation. Shanahan had to answer for that.

I hope Bowlen brings in a guy who can light a fire under these guys asses and bring some hunger, drive, a standard and intensity back to a team that sorely needs it.

I know many are worried, but the Broncos will be ok.

That's where we differ in opinion. With all the injuries to our RBs and LBs, I saw the Broncos as overachieving. With our 3 game stretch before SD, we had a tougher schedule than the Chargers, who had Oakland and KC before Tampa, who'd been sliding. When we finally lost Hillis in the 1st half against KC, I knew we'd be in trouble the remaining games, and even if we did make the playoffs.

I didn't want a change in HC, but in DC and the conditioning coach. No matter, hopefully this move brings about a resurgence in our defense. :cheers:

omac
01-06-2009, 10:59 PM
If we hire Jason Garrett I just might have to find the nearest bridge to jump off of! :lol:

And if you do, take Bowlen with you for hiring Garrett. :D

deacon
01-07-2009, 12:41 AM
I'm not sure why all the interest in hiring a defensive guy. I'm much more interested in getting a head coach who can (and will) hire a good DC. The head coach isn't going to coach the defense anyhow so I'm not sure what difference it makes.

Besides...I sure don't want a defensive guy to come in and decide to turn the Broncos offense into a 2 yards and a cloud of dust....so I think it's kind of a trade off.

Shazam!
01-07-2009, 01:13 AM
That's where we differ in opinion. With all the injuries to our RBs and LBs, I saw the Broncos as overachieving. With our 3 game stretch before SD, we had a tougher schedule than the Chargers, who had Oakland and KC before Tampa, who'd been sliding. When we finally lost Hillis in the 1st half against KC, I knew we'd be in trouble the remaining games, and even if we did make the playoffs.

I didn't want a change in HC, but in DC and the conditioning coach. No matter, hopefully this move brings about a resurgence in our defense. :cheers:

Shanahan couldn't motivate this team to play well if his life depended on it.

All they had to do was beat Buffalo, Oakland or the Chiefs, win ONE GAME against a few horrendous teams to take the division and make the playoffs. Even if they got obliterated by Indy, Shanny would've returned and '08 would've officially been a building block for '09.

This goes back to even 2007. In an embarassing blowout at home to SD, CBS went away from the game to another one. I've never seen that happen in over two decades watching this team.

The inexcusable demolition in Detroit last year? The Lions looked like the '93 Cowboys and finished 5-11. What a disgrace.

Also, dismal shellackings at home didn't help Mikey either.

Things like that is what did in Mike. As the veteran leadership declined (Rod, Al, etc) and more young players brought in, he couldn't rally the troops himself.

As for the DC and S&C Coaching changes, I agree 110%.

omac
01-07-2009, 02:45 AM
Shanahan couldn't motivate this team to play well if his life depended on it.

All they had to do was beat Buffalo, Oakland or the Chiefs, win ONE GAME against a few horrendous teams to take the division and make the playoffs. Even if they got obliterated by Indy, Shanny would've returned and '08 would've officially been a building block for '09.

This goes back to even 2007. In an embarassing blowout at home to SD, CBS went away from the game to another one. I've never seen that happen in over two decades watching this team.

The inexcusable demolition in Detroit last year? The Lions looked like the '93 Cowboys and finished 5-11. What a disgrace.

Also, dismal shellackings at home didn't help Mikey either.

Things like that is what did in Mike. As the veteran leadership declined (Rod, Al, etc) and more young players brought in, he couldn't rally the troops himself.

As for the DC and S&C Coaching changes, I agree 110%.

Yeah, those were some bad losses against bad teams. The constant factor was poor defense, and a lot of injuries forcing youngsters into the lineup. In 2007, our center and guard were out, and our LT was underperforming ... we thought because he hadn't recovered from a previous injury, but maybe it had more to do with drugs. We also had injuries at the RB position, not to mention a few injuries throughout the season at the WR spot. This season, our new OL was solid, but we went through 5 or 6 #1 RBs, with 7 RBs going on IR. Our 3 starting LB'ers were also out a lot this season, and Champ's never really been healthy. The Chargers just lose one player, Merriman, and their defense becomes a shell of what it was. They have 1 injured RB and their rushing offense becomes ineffective.

It may sound like a ton of excuses, but that much injuries can hurt a seasoned veteran team, much less a young one like ours.

We lost to some bad teams, but we've also beaten some good teams. In 2007, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, and the Vikings were supposed to kill us, just like the Jets, the Falcons, and Tampa were supposed to. Some predicted us losing around 6 of the first 8 games or something like that.

This team plays hard, but our defense just plays stupid a lot ... undisciplined, and our offense has been forced to airing it out too much. When we've had a decent RB threat this season, we've scored pretty well. Check out how we scored when Pittman, Torrain, or Hillis scored at least 1 rushing TD.

I'll put the blame on Shanny for the risk he took firing Coyer, as well as why our players have been injured a ton this season. But effort-wise, the Broncos play hard, specially on offense. Scheffler, Young, Royal, Marshall, Nate Jackson, Pittman(?), Stokley, even Jay for one game with the finger injury ... all these guys play hard through injuries. Can't ask for any more effort than that.

I guess we'll have to disagree on this one, which is cool. :cheers: