PDA

View Full Version : a win

nick1089
11-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Where I live the game wasn't aired. I know we won but how did we look?

Bullgator
11-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Great team win... big plays by Offense, Defense and special teams.

Ziggy
11-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Tebow looked like crap for most of the game as usual, but we ran for nearly 300 yards. McGehee and the Oline had a great day, Eddie Royal had a punt return TD, and the defense made some great 2nd half adjustments.

BroncoStud
11-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Tebow looked like crap for most of the game as usual, but we ran for nearly 300 yards. McGehee and the Oline had a great day, Eddie Royal had a punt return TD, and the defense made some great 2nd half adjustments.

Tebow made a LOT of plays today. I don't know what game you were watching... He got hit more than any QB I've seen in recent memory and kept on making things happen. Sometimes you just have to give credit where it's due, I had to suck up my disgust of McCoy and give him credit for the 2nd half, Tebow deserves it as well.

The Black Hole is a nasty environment for a young QB, and Tebow has played well there twice now.

BroncoJoe
11-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Tebow didn't throw two TD's. The balls magically dropped from the sky.

Juriga72
11-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Orton looked PISSED on the sideline

Ziggy
11-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Tebow made a LOT of plays today. I don't know what game you were watching... He got hit more than any QB I've seen in recent memory and kept on making things happen. Sometimes you just have to give credit where it's due, I had to suck up my disgust of McCoy and give him credit for the 2nd half, Tebow deserves it as well.

The Black Hole is a nasty environment for a young QB, and Tebow has played well there twice now.

Tebow didn't throw two TD's. The balls magically dropped from the sky.

Easy killers. I'm beginning to see why the Tebow haters can't stand the Tebow lovers. He completed a grand total of 10 passes, less than half of what he attempted. He missed some open receivers again, and locked onto his primary receiver the entire game. Luckily, 2 of them were open for TD's. He has no clue how to look off a safety or go through progressions.

What he does do well is not throw interceptions, keep drives alive with his legs, and be a leader on and off of the field. The Broncos are a much better team with him on the field than Orton or Quinn, but there are very few good teams in the NFL, if any that Tebow would be starting on as a QB.

I enjoy watching him because he's a winner, pure and simple. If you give the kid any chance to come back, he will usually find a way. I'd like to see him get the rest of the season to start, but I think the Broncos will be drafting a QB next year regardless.

The Broncos won today because they ran for 300 yards. Tebow acounted for over 1/3 of them. I have no idea why the Raiders kept biting on the fake handoff, but they did. It was a Denver win and it was against the Raiders. I'm going to enjoy it.

lgenf
11-06-2011, 08:22 PM
In the first half Tebow had some throws that were spot on, and many that were way off

The defense didn't look like they were going to stop Palmer or bush at all, all day long

Then the second half happened

Tebow was throwing ropes, and they were being caught
Tebow and mcgahee had some INSANE runs for BIG yards and mcgahee cashed in with two of those on TDs

Royal had a great game, with a TD catch on a great wide open busted play and Tebow hit him perfectly with the ball, and royal had a SICK punt return for a TD that gave us the lead in the fourth

Then mcgahee busted one and put us up by 14

Then champ intercepted Palmer for the 2nd time in the game to seal the deal, and I think that was bailey's 50th int of his career

lgenf
11-06-2011, 08:26 PM
I have no idea why the Raiders kept biting on the fake handoff, but they did. It was a Denver win and it was against the Raiders. I'm going to enjoy it.

they fall for it because it's not a FAKE handoff

It's called a belly read

The QB rides the RB into the line with the handoff and if he sees them bite on the RB, he pulls the ball back out and takes off himself

Now when we start to do that and make it play action, we will be dangerous

Bullgator
11-06-2011, 08:54 PM

Forget that 117 yards of that 300 yards was Tebow. Oh and oc course he threw for 2 legit TDs, both for at least 20+ yards... Oh and then there is the ZERO turn overs...

you play like crap ziggy. now go get your shine box.

turftoad
11-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Forget that 117 yards of that 300 yards was Tebow. Oh and oc course he threw for 2 legit TDs, both for at least 20+ yards... Oh and then there is the ZERO turn overs...

117 yards rushing. How many times is that gonna happen. It shouldn't happen many, he has to run til he gets his passing down better.

catfish
11-06-2011, 09:01 PM
they fall for it because it's not a FAKE handoff

It's called a belly read

The QB rides the RB into the line with the handoff and if he sees them bite on the RB, he pulls the ball back out and takes off himself

Now when we start to do that and make it play action, we will be dangerous

not to take anything away for McGahee, he played lights out GREAT football, did you see the LB take the angle on the QB on that last big run for a TD opening the hole for the run? I know Tebow is a work in progress as a passer, but he got it done well enough today to get them to stop the all out blitz and there is no doubt in my mind that his running ability opened it up for the run game

nick1089
11-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks guys. Sounds like we might be getting things together.

Ziggy
11-06-2011, 09:15 PM

I mentioned that Tebow accounted for about 1/3 of the rushing yards, and both of the passing TD's in my post. There's more to being an NFL QB then running the ball and throwing to wide open receivers. That's alright Gator, When Tebow is playing another position or sitting the bench next season or the one after, you'll disappear back into hole you crawled out of.

This is the perfect example of why a lot of people hate Tebow. Folks like you attack anyone who criticizes him in any way, regardless of whether or not they give him credit for what he does well. I'm not a Tebow hater. I just state the facts. I also enjoy watching him play, just not throw the ball. He's gonna make one heck of a good TE of FB. Elway knows what it takes to be a top flight QB in the NFL. Watch him draft a QB next season.

Joel
11-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Pretty darned good, IMHO, though much better in the second half than the first. It seems I was right the Raiders wouldn't find an offensive line while Al Davis lived, but they've got one NOW; nonetheless, Davii was right http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1425666&postcount=7 about Doom getting his first sack today. I missed the first quarter because of a family engagement, but the NFLs play by play (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011110607/2011/REG9/broncos@raiders#menu=gameinfo&tab=analyze&analyze=playbyplay) shows a drive that included a 32 yard Tebow run and ended with a 27 yard TD pass that looked very nice on the replay shown later: Decker had to stretch a bit, but was in the end zone in about three strides, and the ball placement ensured the D had no play on it. OUR D gave up more points than I would've liked; after once leading 7-3, Oaklands last drive before the half got them a second TD, while our last drive ended in a missed FG that left us down 17-7 at the half. Yet, for once, we were on the right side of the second half adjustments.

First, Denver came out of the locker room looking like a professional football team: McGahee got in a 12 yard run and Tebow had another for 19 but, far more importantly, ALL his passes were smart and precise, including one following a penalty at the start of the drive that turned 1st and 15 into 2nd and 2, and a 26 yard TD toss. Dierdorf commented several times that the Oakland secondary was blowing coverages, because guys kept getting wide open, but that is an inevitable consequence of stacking 8+ guys in the box against teams with 3+ receivers; the task for any QB then is to:

1) Stay on his feet,
2) Not force a run,
3) Find the open man and
4) Get him a catchable ball.

Until now, Tebows inability to do those things allowed teams to simply load the box every down and either stuff our runners (including Tebow) or headhunt our QB. If/when Tebow can quickly and consistently find those open receivers and burn defences who load the box against him, they will stop loading the box, making life a lot easier for Tebow running or in the pocket, as well as for McGahee (who also looked incredible today.) Tebow stepped up today by starting the second half with a series of accurate passes sustained over the length of an 80 yd TD drive with the team trailing a bitter Division rival in the Black Hole. That's Big Boy Football. :salute:

Oakland answered right back, but a crisp 29 yard sideline pass to a wide open Demaryius Thomas and a 12 yard QB draw on 3rd and 13 let Prater redeem himself on a second 43 yard FG try. One could argue a first down would've been better, but not easily after removing a 48 yard FG at the end of the first half resulted in a miss from 43 a couple plays later. The more important thing is that, after a delay of game pushed us back to the Raiders 37, Tebows run turned a 54 yard FG attempt into a much easier 43 yarder.

Oakland moved downfield well on their next drive, from their 20 to our 42, where Palmer fumbled, then fell on, the snap. On the next play, he overthrew a pass tipped high into the air, so rookie CB Chris Harris had only to wait for it to come down before intercepting it and returning it to near the LoS, where Cooper Carlisle tackled him. On the NEXT play, our line opened a hole wide enough to literally drive a truck through, and Willis McGahee ran untouched 60 yards for a TD on a delay draw (apparently, that broke his streak (the NFLs third longest) of games without a 50+ yard TD.) The 3rd quarter ended with the PAT and, after 7 seconds rest, our D retook the field.

As a side note, I cannot say enough about what a great play the delay draw is when run in the right way and circumstances: It is to running what play action is to passing and, if one can pass semi-effectively, the delay draw is an EXCELLENT way to both gain yardage and deter blitzes (without having to call screens so often they become predictable.) The caveat, of course, is that just as play action requires teams genuinely fear your running, the delay requires they genuinely fear your passing: If they don't fear it, they won't play it, and can sell out on stopping alternatives.

The Broncos D began the fourth quarter by forcing a three and out. Our next drive had a couple good runs and one very helpful late hit penalty when Tebow scampered out of bounds for a couple yards on 3rd and 20, but two Tebow plunges into the line on 2nd and 2 netted -1 yards and we punted from midfield. I can't fault Tebow for those runs though: They were clearly called plays the Raiders flat out stuffed, as they usually did when McGahee tried to run inside. Our D forced another three and out and Lechler punted back to our 15, from whence Eddie Royal promptly ran 85 yards for a TD and our first lead since the start of the second quarter, 31-24.

At this point I got a little worried: The Raiders D had shown definite signs of wear, but, despite back to back three and outs, OUR D couldn't stay off the field because we scored too quickly. Following Dooms first sack of the year (at the Oakland 9,) several consecutive Raider first downs seemed to justify my fears. However, on 3rd and 10 from their 46, we sent EVERYBODY and (fortunately) someone (didn't see who) jumped at just the right time to ensure Palmer threw a desperate prayer; it wasn't picked, but wasn't completed either, and the Raiders punted (this time Lechler made sure it had plenty of hang time, which is why it went out of bounds 31 yards away at our 23.)

Now it was a nail biter: After trailing by 10 at the half, Denver now led by 7 on the road, but deep in our own territory, challenged to keep the ball, and thereby the win, for a precious 3:55. It started well enough, with some nice offensive playcalling: First, Tebow faked a hand off to McGahee up the gut, pulled out at the last minute and ran toward the right sideline, where he slid to a stop in bounds after a 28 yard gain. That was followed by a seemingly identical fake hand off to McGahee, but this time it was legit and picked up 17 more. An offside penalty advanced the ball to the Oakland 27 at the 2:00 warning, and I went out for a smoke, confident we could keep the ball and run out the clock. However, I was wrong: I came back with 1:53 to play and Denver lined up to kickoff after a 27 yard McGahee TD run.

That was pretty much game; the D steadily traded yards for time, and the Raiders, down by 14 inside 2:00, finally seemed to get something going--right up until Champ got his second Int at our 9 yard line. With 1:04 left, Ball ran into the line for 2 yards, Oakland let us take the delay of game (since their 2 TOs obviated the need for a first down,) then we knelt at our 5 and went home winners.

A solid game, and fun to watch, and, no, I don't think we have a snow balls chance with Orton under center, let alone win by 14 in Oakland. Hard as it is to believe, Denver is the ONLY AFC West team that won today, and only a single game behind the rest for first place in the Division. The offense is getting better, and the D still looks pretty scary. Tebow actually started to look like an NFL QB, throwing good passes that included 2 TDs and produced a 98.11507937 PR, with only 2 sacks (if I count those, his PR drops to 87.77173913, but, if I count the sacks, I'm obligated to also count his 12/118 rushing, and his PR shoots back up to 101.0119048; even most "running QBs" typically see their stats fall by that metric, just less than, say, Manning and Bradys do.) He still missed more than he hit, and actually ran for more than he passed, but it looked today like he's made real progress; now it's just a matter of playing at that level consistently.

As for the rest of the team:

The offensive line played better, but the tackles still need improvement, especially from Clady, who seems to have forgotten how an All Pro tackle should look, despite the fact he's no longer guarding the QBs blindside. The guards looked much improved though.

The receivers did OK, though Tebows completion percentage is >50% if they don't drop a few they shouldn't have, if less than in past weeks. On the other hand (so to speak) I still subscribe to the philosophy that says, "if you can touch it, you can catch it," so maybe I'm being too hard on them.

McGahee... wow, definitely more than a three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust back, and I was sure that's all he was. In addition to refusing to go down until fighting for a couple extra yards every time, he gained 163 on 20 carries, a little over 8 YPA. That's more than a lot of guys average per PASS attempt, and I'll gladly take it. A bang up day, sir, both literally and figuratively. :salute:

The secondary is spotty except for Champ, sometimes blindingly brilliant and at others so awful I WISH I were as blind as they, with more of the latter than the former. Our second best pass defender is probably DJ, and even HE got beat deep up the middle for a TD (though, IMHO, that was one of several Raider catches 95% of pro receivers don't make.)

Don't let Palmers 3 TDs, 332 yards and 2 sacks deceive you into thinking the front seven has fallen off, because he also had 3 interceptions and completed 19/35 passes (>50%, but not by much.) Astounding as it is, the Raiders finally seem to have a good offensive line (despite its interior consisting of two rookies and Cooper Carlisle.) Just ask the teams Darren McFadden has been shredding like, well, like we shredded the Raiders D on the ground (as in "1 yard short of 300 rushing :shocked:".) Bush is a pretty good runner in his own right, but it still took him, Palmer AND Tawain Jones to gain exactly 100 on us. Their line didn't let our front seven get through fast enough for many sacks, but Palmer got hit a LOT, and only avoided sacks by throwing 16 incomplete passes and three picks; meanwhile, we shut down one of the Leagues most feared running games. Giving up 24 points isn't great, but not bad against that offense, which we held to a single TD in the second half.

A good game, and a solid win in which the whole team can take justified and much needed pride. :salute:

Bullgator
11-06-2011, 09:53 PM
I mentioned that Tebow accounted for about 1/3 of the rushing yards, and both of the passing TD's in my post. There's more to being an NFL QB then running the ball and throwing to wide open receivers. That's alright Gator, When Tebow is playing another position or sitting the bench next season or the one after, you'll disappear back into hole you crawled out of.

This is the perfect example of why a lot of people hate Tebow. Folks like you attack anyone who criticizes him in any way, regardless of whether or not they give him credit for what he does well. I'm not a Tebow hater. I just state the facts. I also enjoy watching him play, just not throw the ball. He's gonna make one heck of a good TE of FB. Elway knows what it takes to be a top flight QB in the NFL. Watch him draft a QB next season.

Except hes going to be right behind center next year.

I dont give a shit why you or anyone hate Tebow.. because of his fans or w/e... IMO you and the haters can kiss my ass.

You get attacked for being a jackass. The guy asked an honest question and didnt see the game... you had to make it sound like everyone played great but him.

I was asked and I gave an honest answer.. I said the TEAM played well all around. I didnt jack up Tim and down the team..

IDC that you hate Tebow but know if your going to be gay about it Ill be here to call you out. Every time.

wayninja
11-06-2011, 10:51 PM

As usual? As in, he looked like he did the first 2 games. If so, you are wrong.

Period.

He had moments where he looked like crap, for sure, but they were in the minority rather than the majority. 250 yards of offense and 2 TD's with 0 turnovers was not 'usual'. I'm not sold on the guy by any means and he certainly has a long way to go, but to one line his performance today like that is just asinine.