PDA

View Full Version : Tom Nalen Retires

Tned
01-06-2009, 07:43 PM
ESPN's Bill Williamson reports that Broncos C Tom Nalen has decided to retire from football.

Nalen's contract was up, his longtime coach just got fired, and he's battling a bone-on-bone condition in his surgically repaired knee, so this comes as little surprise. A five-time Pro Bowler and one-time All Pro, Nalen was the pivot for Denver's hallowed zone-blocking scheme for 12 1/2 seasons. He probably isn't Hall of Fame material, but Nalen snapped to John Elway in two Super Bowl wins and there's never been a finer center in team history.
Source: ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3814673&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines)

frauschieze
01-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Not surprising but still sad. He was one of the most underrated players of all time. Thank you for your time on the team, Tom. Good luck with the rest of your life.

BigDaddyBronco
01-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks Nails. You were awesome. :salute:

Requiem / The Dagda
01-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks for everything Nails!

MOtorboat
01-06-2009, 08:02 PM
Tom Nalen rules.

Broncos4Ever24
01-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Thanks for everything, you played your heart out and will always be respected

Den21vsBal19
01-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Sad, but no suprise...................all the best for the future :beer:

BeefStew25
01-06-2009, 08:11 PM
I forget about the offensive line. Was Nalen good?

D1g1tal j1m
01-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Nalen is definitely HOF material. 2 SB rings and the anchor of one of the finest offensive lines in football when we ran all over the Pack and dominated the following season with the running of TD and protection of Elway and win over the Falcons.
I would really like to hear the excuses for not enshrining him into the HOF. Maybe it will be be because the HOF Committee is afraid he won't make an acceptance speech himself but will have Tony Jones speak it for him.

CrazyHorse
01-06-2009, 08:35 PM
I forget about the offensive line. Was Nalen good?

No man, he sucked. Worst center EVER. LOL

Tis a sad day for all of us.
The last remaining bronco from the Super Bowl teams is gone.
:salute: Thank you, Tom Nalen :salute:

lewik
01-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Probably isn't Pro Bowl material my ass. **EDIT **west coast biased bullshiat. Christ that crap gets old.

Ranting aside... you were one of the best, Tom. :salute:

Edit: East coast biased too!

Skinny
01-06-2009, 08:40 PM
God speed Tom Nalen.

Happy retirement.

You deserve it. :salute:

Buff
01-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Nalen is definitely HOF material. 2 SB rings and the anchor of one of the finest offensive lines in football when we ran all over the Pack and dominated the following season with the running of TD and protection of Elway and win over the Falcons.
I would really like to hear the excuses for not enshrining him into the HOF. Maybe it will be be because the HOF Committee is afraid he won't make an acceptance speech himself but will have Tony Jones speak it for him.

I hope Nalen gets a HOF nod, but if he doesn't I think it's because-

A.) He was only an All-Pro once in his career, meaning he wasn't really regarded as the best center in the league nationally... Which shouldn't be a deterrent by itself, but it's tough to get in as a lineman. Zimmerman was an All-Pro 8 times (3 times 1st team) and didn't get in the 1st time he was eligible.

and

B.) He blocked in Shanahan's system, which nationally gets credit for being more about the scheme than the players.

Fan in Exile
01-06-2009, 09:24 PM
I pray that the knee condition isn't a problem his whole life. Tom I:salute:

SmilinAssasSin27
01-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Dude was the tits. Thanx Nails!

Shazam!
01-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Dear Tom Nalen,

You were often overlooked by the media and the so-called 'experts and analysts.' You rarely (if ever) spoke to the media. You were the final player on the roster from Denver's Championship seasons and we are grateful.

The Broncos would not have won the Super Bowls, Terrell Davis wouldn't have been half the Back he was and John Elway's twilight years wouldn't have been as successful if it weren't for the warriors like you who battled every game upfront and gave opposing teams fits in the 1990's.

Thank you for every play and providing a standard by helping groom the younger successors on the OLine. I am very forunate to watch you perform for over a decade.

We look forward to seeing you in the Ring of Fame at Invesco Field, and hopefully you will make it to the Hall of Fame one day.

Sincerely,

Shazam and all Broncos fans

NightTrainLayne
01-06-2009, 10:11 PM
You were tough as Nails Tom. :D Godspeed.

BeefStew25
01-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Tom,

Although I did not know who you were until just a bit ago, it sounds like you were a good player. It also sounds like your knees may be shot. I trust your addiction too vicodin is not to severe and long lasting.

Bief

G_Money
01-06-2009, 10:18 PM
As far as I know, there are 2 centers in the HOF who played in the last 25 years.

Mike Webster and Dwight Stephenson.

Tom Nalen is right there with those guys. He's got a shot.

What's undeniable are his leadership, his toughness, his indomitable will, and his absolutely critical play that enabled us to win 2 championships and field the greatest, most consistent running game the league has probably ever seen with the number of backs we had.

Whether or not he can overcome the bias around our team, I dunno. Being an OL for the We Don't Give Quotes band probably won't win him any points, but he was obviously one of the very best at his position. He's got a better shot than many Broncos.

But even if he never gets in, all of us will remember how much he meant to our teams.

The World, that's how much. Thanks for everything, Tom. :salute:

I hope you taught Lichtensteiger how to be a monster like you before you left.

~G

BeefStew25
01-06-2009, 10:39 PM
I bet for his Hall of Fame speech he would just grab the microphone and rip a Taco Bell fart.

G_Money
01-06-2009, 10:43 PM
I'm hoping for his Ring of Fame speech he just stands up, takes the microphone, opens his mouth as if to say something, shakes his head, waves to the fans, shakes Bowlen's hand and sits back down.

Greatest. Speech. Evah.

~G

Tned
01-06-2009, 10:44 PM
I pray that the knee condition isn't a problem his whole life. Tom I:salute:

Yea, I agree. Unfortunately, an awful lot of these guys wind up with knee replacements.

frauschieze
01-06-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm hoping for his Ring of Fame speech he just stands up, takes the microphone, opens his mouth as if to say something, shakes his head, waves to the fans, shakes Bowlen's hand and sits back down.

Greatest. Speech. Evah.

~G

You read my mind. :laugh:

Broncolingus
01-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Yet another first class pro(fessional) leaves the Broncos...

HOF worthy and always gave 110%

Looks like he left his mark, though, with his successors...

Sincere thx, Tom, for all you gave the Bronc's and us fans...

MOtorboat
01-06-2009, 11:07 PM
Unfortunately, there's a coach search going on.

There should be a little more pomp and circumstance besides a one-paragraph deal from some news outlet.

JMHO.

keithbishop
01-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Tom:

Sorry I jinxed you by making you my adopted Bronco the last couple of seasons. :Cry:
Maybe I should adopt Philip Rivers next season.

Here's to a Broncos legend. :salute:

Tom Nalen
01-07-2009, 12:11 AM
NOOOOOO! He was my favorite Bronco. Hopefully he has success later on in life.

Italianmobstr7
01-07-2009, 12:40 AM
Thanks Nails. Hope he has a great and happy life after football.

DenBronx
01-07-2009, 01:10 AM
not to sound greedy but what happens with the cap now that he is retiring? do we take any hit, does his salary still count or do we gain anymore cap room?

Magnificent Seven
01-07-2009, 01:20 AM
wow. Then, they have to draft Center.

Shazam!
01-07-2009, 01:26 AM
They have Lichtensteiger and hopefully Wiegmann returns. With a new Coach, that may be doubtful.

DenBronx
01-07-2009, 01:29 AM
They have Lichtensteiger and hopefully Wiegmann returns. With a new Coach, that may be doubtful.

makes you wonder if they will consider mack if he is there in the 2nd.

fcspikeit
01-07-2009, 02:35 AM
Thanks for all the long years and tough yards nails :beer:

You will always be one of my favorite Broncos of all time.. I wish you the best from here on out and I really hope all the hard years you gave us don't leave to lasting an effect on your body :salute::beer::salute:

Bronco Bible
01-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Nalen we:salute:you:salute:

broncofaninfla
01-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Nalen was arguably our best center ever. Thanks for everything nails and good luck with the future.

Shazam!
01-07-2009, 09:48 AM
Nalen for OL Coach.

horsesense
01-07-2009, 10:07 AM
:salute:Thank-You Mr. Nalen.:salute:

yardog
01-07-2009, 10:19 AM
:salute: Tom Nalen.

gregbroncs
01-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Sad day. I am not surprised but he was a staple at C for so long it's hard to see him retire.

Thanks Tom. :salute:

frauschieze
01-07-2009, 10:53 AM
not to sound greedy but what happens with the cap now that he is retiring? do we take any hit, does his salary still count or do we gain anymore cap room?

Nalen is a free agent for 2009 so there is no effect on the cap.

Superchop 7
01-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Got a feeling he might be Shannys next o-line coach.

Nature Boy
01-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Wiegman came in and there was not much of a drop off, particularly in the passing where Jay Cutler was very comfortable. There was a definite drop off in the running but we didn't have our choices RB carrying the ball so we can't say Wiegman was not as good at sealing the blocks when running inside.

Wiegman also is contemplating retirement so if he does, what then?

Move Ben Hamilton to Center and insert one of the other guys at guard?

Either way, the Broncos' bright spot is their O-Line with 2 very young pro-bowl caliber bookends at OTs.

With Marshall and Royal, Jay Cutler will be among the league leaders in stats for years to come.

The Broncos future is bright. Let's hope we get a head coach that is better than Mike Shanahan, not worst.

Slick
01-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Unfortunately, there's a coach search going on.

There should be a little more pomp and circumstance besides a one-paragraph deal from some news outlet.

JMHO.

I agree. I'm sure there's many defensive lineman around the league that are glad to hear this news. Tom meant as much to our team as anyone over the last decade. He was a nasty SOB. I'd take Nails on my side of a street fight any day. Hopefully another article will surface. He deserves at least that. If Canton doesn't want him, it's their loss.

Lonestar
01-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Have not read the thread but I suspect some fans will rant about him being HOF material..

Forget it as we all know DEN players Rarely get voted in..East of the Mississippi bias and all.. He was only pro bowl once IIRC and mainly because K Malawi from the Jets was always voted in along with one from Pitts..
Nalen was a warrior no doubt and had he not played in DEN no doubt he would had a chance..

Good luck in retirement..

frauschieze
01-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Have not read the thread but I suspect some fans will rant about him being HOF material..

Forget it as we all know DEN players Rarely get voted in..East of the Mississippi bias and all.. He was only pro bowl once IIRC and mainly because K Malawi from the Jets was always voted in along with one from Pitts..
Nalen was a warrior no doubt and had he not played in DEN no doubt he would had a chance..

Good luck in retirement..

Pro Bowl 5 times, All-Pro once.