PDA

View Full Version : Problems Reporting Posts.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-06-2009, 06:16 PM
For the past few weeks actually, regardless of the browser I use -- if I report a post -- it doesn't go anywhere. It just sits idle like it wants to, but doesn't do anything. Don't have a problem going anywhere else on the site, but it never gets to that screen it does after a post is reported, from my memory. Any idea what causes this?

DallasChief
01-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Post reported.

MOtorboat
01-06-2009, 06:32 PM
For the past few weeks actually, regardless of the browser I use -- if I report a post -- it doesn't go anywhere. It just sits idle like it wants to, but doesn't do anything. Don't have a problem going anywhere else on the site, but it never gets to that screen it does after a post is reported, from my memory. Any idea what causes this?

Top informed me that they are still getting the report, though.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-06-2009, 06:34 PM
That's weird though, I mean -- I hate clicking a ton of times, but my browser just goes nowhere. *shrugs*

topscribe
01-06-2009, 06:41 PM
I just ran a test report, and it did the same thing to me, too, yet it did go on
through. So your reports are getting there, apparently.

We'll look into it.

-----

Dortoh
01-06-2009, 06:44 PM

Well I guess I know who has been reporting my posts now. :coffee:

Northman
01-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Cicero reporting posts? Say it aint so?

MOtorboat
01-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Well I guess I know who has been reporting my posts now. :coffee:

Yeah, but you deserved it.

Totally uncalled for.

:tsk:

deacon
01-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Hey Dream, I was only kidding. Honest!!

KCL
01-06-2009, 07:26 PM

rc hasn't been on here lately has he? :lol: Who the hell are you reporting?

Just kidding

Tned
01-06-2009, 07:59 PM
I'll try and figure out what is causing it.

gnomeflinger
01-06-2009, 09:15 PM
I've had issues with the site too. I will try to post a reply, give a high five, or click on a different page and it will freeze.

Tned
01-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Ok, I made a change, which I 'think' will fix this. However, it might take 24 hours or longer before I know. It appears there was a problem with the DNS server IPs. When a post is reported, it emails all mods using a webserver (PHP actually) called sendmail. Sendmail can be very slow if there are any DNS errors.

It appears to be hanging on the email send, and then results in a SQL timeout because the sendmail function took much longer than expected.

If this persists past tomorrow, I will investigate further, but I am relatively sure it is related to a mail sending problem, which is why it is happening on "reported posts"

Tned
01-06-2009, 09:21 PM
I've had issues with the site too. I will try to post a reply, give a high five, or click on a different page and it will freeze.

Has this happened more in the last week or so? I've noticed it more in the last week. There was an update to the underlying server software, and I am wondering if there is an issue there. I am trying to figure out what might have caused it, or if I can roll back the update. I believe what you describe is different than the reported post problem.

MOtorboat
01-06-2009, 09:44 PM
I am having problems posting tonight. I hit the button and nothing happens.

Seems to happen when I quote other posts.

Tned
01-06-2009, 09:45 PM
I am having problems posting tonight. I hit the button and nothing happens.

Seems to happen when I quote other posts.

I've restarted the server and SQL and some other services a few times, trying to find out what is going on. I'm mostly done tinkering for tonight. Going to see how things run tomorrow.

Tned
01-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Ok, I might have figured out the problem. I just reported a post, and it worked fine. Either the DNS change fixed it, or more likely, one of the Linux partitions was out of disk space.

I do a S load of backups. I do a full backup every night, and then a database backup every six hours. I store them both locally, and on a remote backup storage facility. This is done so that if something gets corrupted, or there is a server crash, as little data will be lost as possible.

I haven't been cleaning out the local copies, and therefore that partition filled up. It is possible that while creating a reported post, which needs to send an email, it needs to write a temporary file, and there was no disk space. That could also explain (maybe), some of the other problems.

I'm still testing and investigating.

OB
01-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Stop being little wussies and reporting posts - esp when some of you are no better :rolleyes:

gnomeflinger
01-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Hey! I haven't reported anyone. I was just saying that the site in general was hiccuping.

OB
01-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Hey! I haven't reported anyone. I was just saying that the site in general was hiccuping.

it wasnt directed at you ;)

gnomeflinger
01-06-2009, 11:57 PM
it wasnt directed at you ;)

Oh, okay. :D Carry on.

deacon
01-07-2009, 12:25 AM
Stop being little wussies and reporting posts - esp when some of you are no better :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Tned
01-07-2009, 01:21 AM
Any more hiccups, or has it been running better tonight?

OB
01-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Any more hiccups, or has it been running better tonight?

I will report a post by dream and get back to ya :D

OB
01-07-2009, 11:39 AM
:rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

deacon
01-07-2009, 12:51 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

OB
01-07-2009, 03:59 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

post reported :laugh:

Dortoh
01-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Ok I will play along. Do people really report posts........on a regular basis. Maybe we should have a poll. How many posts do you report in a month. I honestly dont think I've ever reported a post in my message board "career"

0 - I love everyone
1 - Just want to test the system sometimes
5 - I'm easily offended
10+ - Its actually addicting

Tned
01-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Ok I will play along. Do people really report posts........on a regular basis. Maybe we should have a poll. How many posts do you report in a month. I honestly dont think I've ever reported a post in my message board "career"

0 - I love everyone
5 - I'm easily offended

I know you might be mostly joking, but..

Yes, many people do, and speaking for both myself, and on behalf of the mods, we greatly appreciate it.

It is impossible for the mods to check every post to see if everyone is playing nice and following the rules, so we rely very heavily on people reporting posts that break the rules.

One consistant theme that we have seen in Town Hall threads is that the majority of members do not want this to become a unmoderated/almost anything goes message board, and the way to ensure we keep things running smooth, we need members to report rules violations.

Not every report is acted upon, because it simply calls a mods attention to that post, and then an evaluation is made.

Dortoh
01-07-2009, 05:58 PM
I know you might be mostly joking, but..

Yes, many people do, and speaking for both myself, and on behalf of the mods, we greatly appreciate it.

It is impossible for the mods to check every post to see if everyone is playing nice and following the rules, so we rely very heavily on people reporting posts that break the rules.

One consistant theme that we have seen in Town Hall threads is that the majority of members do not want this to become a unmoderated/almost anything goes message board, and the way to ensure we keep things running smooth, we need members to report rules violations.

Not every report is acted upon, because it simply calls a mods attention to that post, and then an evaluation is made.

I am joking to an extent and understand the use of a system like that. Maybe I just dont pay enough attention but I rarely see anything posted that is really worthy of bringing to the attention of mods.

If I were a mod I'd appriciate the heads up but get pretty sick of someone who reported every kindergarden level infraction.

frauschieze
01-07-2009, 06:19 PM
I am joking to an extent and understand the use of a system like that. Maybe I just dont pay enough attention but I rarely see anything posted that is really worthy of bringing to the attention of mods.

If I were a mod I'd appriciate the heads up but get pretty sick of someone who reported every kindergarden level infraction.

Yup. You are mostly blind and whatever you're not blind to has been desensitized by the Mane. That and you have low moral standards to begin with.

Dortoh
01-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Yup. You are mostly blind and whatever you're not blind to has been desensitized by the Mane. That and you have low moral standards to begin with.

Dont sweet talk me lady

frauschieze
01-07-2009, 06:32 PM
dont sweet talk me lady

lmao!

Tned
01-07-2009, 06:39 PM

Ok, post reported for calling him "desensitized."

Actually, seriously, I did report it as my final test.

I thought I had it fixed last night, and I didn't. I have finally figured out the problem, which was email related, but not the problem I thought it was. I have the server setup to send email using an alternative method (no techno babble beyond for the curious that I switched from SMTP sends to PHP sendmail).

So, for those that choose to report, it should be back to the old, fast speed. Meaning you will now be able to report about 10 posts in the time it was taken to report one here lately.

Thanks for calling my attention to it.

frauschieze
01-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Ok, post reported for calling him "desensitized."

Actually, seriously, I did report it as my final test.

Well shizzle. If I'd have known you were going to report my post, I'd have called him something REALLY good. He deserves it. :laugh:

Dortoh
01-07-2009, 06:48 PM
What the.....I deserve nothing but kindness and love.

MOtorboat
01-07-2009, 06:49 PM
What the.....I deserve nothing but kindness and love.

:pound:

Midnight Blue
01-07-2009, 07:19 PM

0 - I love everyone
5 - I'm easily offended

I've reported a few posts before... usually if I do, it's a post that I'd want to know about if I were a moderator here. It's impossible for any moderator to see everything posted on a forum and it helps a lot for the community as a whole to help by calling attention to stuff (situations or exchanges) that the individual poster thinks the mods/admins even might want to be aware of.

Tned
01-07-2009, 07:48 PM
I've reported a few posts before... usually if I do, it's a post that I'd want to know about if I were a moderator here. It's impossible for any moderator to see everything posted on a forum and it helps a lot for the community as a whole to help by calling attention to stuff (situations or exchanges) that the individual poster thinks the mods/admins even might want to be aware of.

Perfect explanation. :salute:

OB
01-07-2009, 10:39 PM
I reported tubby once but thats b4 we became lovers - ive had to pay great retribution