PDA

View Full Version : Worst TV Shows

Dreadnought
01-06-2009, 09:54 AM
List 'em here. Most everything my lovely Wife likes to watch counts; Desperate Housewives, Oprah. Sex in the City. Men in Trees. All awful. All painful.

Reality shows are gruesome, from "Survivor" to American Idol"

96% of Sitcoms suck, and I haven't watched one since "Friends" used to stink up the airwaves and I was dating a girl who watched it.

Please - flail away, and list all those shows that make your skin crawl.

NightTrainLayne
01-06-2009, 10:19 AM
"17 and counting" and "John and Kate Plus 8".

My wife loves those shows, and I absolutely can't stand them.

The only reason John doesn't leave Kate is that the child-support for 8 young-un's would leave him completely broke, and right now the TLC network is paying for all these trips and "stuff" to make the show more interesting. . .

"17 and Counting" is only useful in demonstrating how nuts some extreme fundamentalists actually are. .. actually teaching their kids not to even kiss their fiancee until the wedding. . .how they ended up with 17 kids is an enigma.

Flatinum
01-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Most reality shows are brutal. Examples below.

Little People Big World - a show that follows around a family of midgets and how they cope with every day life. Big deal.

Dog the Bounty Hunter - a bunch of trailer trash rednecks hunting down low lifes. Again big deal.

KCL
01-06-2009, 11:12 AM
List 'em here. Most everything my lovely Wife likes to watch counts; Desperate Housewives, Oprah. Sex in the City. Men in Trees. All awful. All painful.

Reality shows are gruesome, from "Survivor" to American Idol"

96% of Sitcoms suck, and I haven't watched one since "Friends" used to stink up the airwaves and I was dating a girl who watched it.

Please - flail away, and list all those shows that make your skin crawl.

You pretty much listed what I was thinking.

claymore
01-06-2009, 11:13 AM

Little People Big World - a show that follows around a family of midgets and how they cope with every day life. Big deal.

Dog the Bounty Hunter - a bunch of trailer trash rednecks hunting down low lifes. Again big deal.

Little People Big World is the only show I watch. I couldnt name another show. Midgets facinate me tohough.

Matt Roloff is a stud, and I wish I had the balls (figurativley) that he has.

KCL
01-06-2009, 11:13 AM

You sound like my husband...:laugh: I do agree with you.

Dreadnought
01-06-2009, 11:21 AM

Claymore would make a great TV bounty hunter. I was thinking Televangelist earlier, but I can see him busting bail jumpers too. I bet he knows every skeevey dive in his part of the World.

gnomeflinger
01-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Extreme Makeover, Home Edition. Great idea, but not when reality hits. The peeps who have this huge home will have to now pay taxes on it. The current mortgage is paid for, but now they have to pay for this new home. When they do the touchy-feely clips, they manipulate the feelings of the TV viewers. The last one I watched (a couple of years ago, and only briefly), the family consisted of a child with Aspergers. They made it to sound like some tragedy, when in reality, it's not. :mad:

Requiem / The Dagda
01-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Good topic Dread. You want an honest answer? I think most everything on TV is trash. I'll watch the Discovery Channel, History Channel, Food Network and Travel Channel. That is about it. I think the George Lopez show is funny, but it can definitely be trashy and inappropriate for people who aren't adults.

After breakfast and laundry this morning, I skimmed through Bravo and saw that there is some show called "Housewives of Orange County" or something like that which basically makes women look and act like sluts to get money from rich millionaires and stuff like that. It is just ridiculous. It sends the wrong message to not only women, but men as well - who think that they have to buy into that sort of stuff.

It is just ludicrious. I used to question why some families and people monitored (I thought excessively) what their children were exposed to, but now I am starting to get it. I think shows like Spongebob and others are largely unacceptable as well.

I don't know if I'll ever have kids (hope to) -- and I don't want to be an overprotective parent, but God -- television is trash. There is a reason that I honestly don't watch more than an hour or two a week (outside football) of it. Just bogus, terrible and definitely sends horrid messages to people.

NightTrainLayne
01-06-2009, 11:47 AM

OK, you hit the "other nights" of TLC and A&E.

Anything on TLC is trash. If I could pick and choose channels I'd just have that one (among many others) turned off.

gnomeflinger
01-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Good topic Dread. You want an honest answer? I think most everything on TV is trash. I'll watch the Discovery Channel, History Channel, Food Network and Travel Channel. That is about it. I think the George Lopez show is funny, but it can definitely be trashy and inappropriate for people who aren't adults.

After breakfast and laundry this morning, I skimmed through Bravo and saw that there is some show called "Housewives of Orange County" or something like that which basically makes women look and act like sluts to get money from rich millionaires and stuff like that. It is just ridiculous. It sends the wrong message to not only women, but men as well - who think that they have to buy into that sort of stuff.

It is just ludicrious. I used to question why some families and people monitored (I thought excessively) what their children were exposed to, but now I am starting to get it. I think shows like Spongebob and others are largely unacceptable as well.

I don't know if I'll ever have kids (hope to) -- and I don't want to be an overprotective parent, but God -- television is trash. There is a reason that I honestly don't watch more than an hour or two a week (outside football) of it. Just bogus, terrible and definitely sends horrid messages to people.

That Housewives show really presses my ick button. Big Brother is another really stupid one.

Of the modern cartoon series that are out there, Spongebob is one of the tamest. The prime-time cartoons are banned in my house - Family Guy, King of the Hill, Simpsons.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Oh, I love King of the Hill (It's kind of the show we watch at Harpoon Mansion -- my friends place, but my true home in Fargo.) -- but yeah, understandable why you'd ban those for sure.

Mike
01-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Any show on VH1.

NightTrainLayne
01-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Any show on VH1.

I would have agreed until Celebrity Rehab came out. That one is probably great for any teenager to see the REAL effects of drugs.

Of course, they do it a great disservice by running it right next to "Rock of Love" and all the ROL off-shoots. Those shows make you dumber at a geometric rate.

Dreadnought
01-06-2009, 12:53 PM
This all brought an interesting thought to me. Can anyone name a hot steamy scene in any movie or TV show that involved a couple married to each other? I would have less problem with my kid seeing that than with her constantly exposed to depictions of infidelity or unmarried sex. Its the context, and not the content itself I find so often objectionable.

gnomeflinger
01-06-2009, 12:57 PM
This all brought an interesting thought to me. Can anyone name a hot steamy scene in any movie or TV show that involved a couple married to each other? I would have less problem with my kid seeing that than with her constantly exposed to depictions of infidelity or unmarried sex. Its the context, and not the content itself I find so often objectionable.

300. Leonidas and Gorgo

NightTrainLayne
01-06-2009, 01:05 PM

Of course I'm a "robot" without feeling or emotion, but I've complained about this to my wife since we met.

Why is it that such a high percentage of "romantic/couples" movies revolve around infidelity? Why are the "most romantic" movies frequently based on this notion that the "truest, deepest, most exciting" love is the love found outside of the main character's current relationship?

I could probably put together a list if requested, but I'm thinking of "romantic triumphs" like "The Bridges of Madison County" or "The English Patient", and a host of others in the same mold.

Dreadnought
01-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Of course I'm a "robot" without feeling or emotion, but I've complained about this to my wife since we met.

Why is it that such a high percentage of "romantic/couples" movies revolve around infidelity? Why are the "most romantic" movies frequently based on this notion that the "truest, deepest, most exciting" love is the love found outside of the main character's current relationship?

I could probably put together a list if requested, but I'm thinking of "romantic triumphs" like "The Bridges of Madison County" or "The English Patient", and a host of others in the same mold.

And of course "Brokeback Mountain"

MOtorboat
01-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Any show on VH1.

I dunno. I like the countdowns. None of the Rock of Love crap, that is just brutal..and the fact that their on their third season should really tell you something about it.

"Three tries and still going :2thumbs:!"

Sex in the City is atrocious. Desperate Housewives is obnoxious. American Idol is pretty bad, although I will admit I catch myself watching some of the first few episodes, and I did watch a little of the last season. A few hours of my life I'm never getting back.

Could probably go on for a while.

There are some good shows on TV, though. I watched Digging for the Truth's first two episodes on my netflix last night. That was a pretty good show, imo. Like I said last night, House and Rescue Me are pretty good. Lost, although I haven't stuck with it, seems like a solid show, and Heroes is alright.

I have to admit to watching Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother. HIMYM is just hilarious, and I can't take my eyes off the blond in Big Bang Theory.

NightTrainLayne
01-06-2009, 01:10 PM
And of course "Brokeback Mountain"

Yeah. . .that one tops the list. .. and all I ever hear from women is "how romantic" it is.

:sheesh:

If I had ever known that sex in a tent, on a cold mountain with a bunch of sheep around, and no bathing for a month was romantic, I could have been a regular Casanova. Call me "old-fashioned", but I had a different ideal of "romance". .. starting with a heterosexual encounter.

Mike
01-06-2009, 01:32 PM
I dunno. I like the countdowns. None of the Rock of Love crap, that is just brutal..and the fact that their on their third season should really tell you something about it.

"Three tries and still going :2thumbs:!"

Sex in the City is atrocious. Desperate Housewives is obnoxious. American Idol is pretty bad, although I will admit I catch myself watching some of the first few episodes, and I did watch a little of the last season. A few hours of my life I'm never getting back.

Could probably go on for a while.

There are some good shows on TV, though. I watched Digging for the Truth's first two episodes on my netflix last night. That was a pretty good show, imo. Like I said last night, House and Rescue Me are pretty good. Lost, although I haven't stuck with it, seems like a solid show, and Heroes is alright.

I have to admit to watching Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother. HIMYM is just hilarious, and I can't take my eyes off the blond in Big Bang Theory.

Yeah, I meant the reality stuff. I might have to check out the show NTL mentioned though.

I do end up checking out some of the countdown shows though. I liked the remember the 80's shows too. Made me laugh at how dumb we looked back then. :laugh:

NightTrainLayne
01-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I meant the reality stuff. I might have to check out the show NTL mentioned though.

I do end up checking out some of the countdown shows though. I liked the remember the 80's shows too. Made me laugh at how dumb we looked back then. :laugh:

Anyone remember "pop-up video". . .Damn I loved that show.

frauschieze
01-06-2009, 01:38 PM
I love the 80's was an awesome series. I love the 90's came too quickly after the end of that decade.

Big Bang Theory is hilarious. I loved the episode where the blonde gets hooked on WoW and keeps bugging Sheldon for hints.

Flatinum
01-06-2009, 01:43 PM
OK, you hit the "other nights" of TLC and A&E.

Anything on TLC is trash. If I could pick and choose channels I'd just have that one (among many others) turned off.

TLC is the freak show channel.

The biggest, tallest, shortest, hairiest, tree bark growing......etc people all have shows on TLC.

It's like an car wreck, even though you know it might be bad you still have to look.

CrazyHorse
01-17-2009, 02:23 AM
Extreme Makeover, Home Edition. Great idea, but not when reality hits. The peeps who have this huge home will have to now pay taxes on it. The current mortgage is paid for, but now they have to pay for this new home. When they do the touchy-feely clips, they manipulate the feelings of the TV viewers. The last one I watched (a couple of years ago, and only briefly), the family consisted of a child with Aspergers. They made it to sound like some tragedy, when in reality, it's not. :mad:

The original Extreme Makeover was better.

frauschieze
01-17-2009, 02:27 AM
I got suckered into watching an episode of 7th Heaven.

I will never get that hour back. It was a train wreck.