PDA

View Full Version : Can we play disciplined defense?

East Coast Fan
10-06-2007, 09:00 PM
I saw the "breakdown" of why our run defense is so bad last night on NFL Network, and it seems like the basic problem is undisciplined play; guys over-commiting and not staying in their lanes and over-running the play. Hopefully, Bates can also see this and correct it or it's gonna be a long season!

BigBroncLove
10-06-2007, 09:08 PM
I saw the "breakdown" of why our run defense is so bad last night on NFL Network, and it seems like the basic problem is undisciplined play; guys over-commiting and not staying in their lanes and over-running the play. Hopefully, Bates can also so this and correct it or it's gonna be a long season!

I saw it to. It was an interesting breakdown, but one that only covered two plays. I think it's a matter of coaching, and While DJ is leading this team in tackles, I am seriously becoming concerned with is playin the middle.

East Coast Fan
10-06-2007, 09:13 PM
I saw it to. It was an interesting breakdown, but one that only covered two plays. I think it's a matter of coaching, and While DJ is leading this team in tackles, I am seriously becoming concerned with is playin the middle.

DJ was one of the players that they showed over-commiting on one of those plays! If you recall, he actually took himself AND Lynch out of the chance to make the tackle!

BigBroncLove
10-06-2007, 09:16 PM
DJ was one of the players that they showed over-commiting on one of those plays! If you recall, he actually took himself AND Lynch out of the chance to make the tackle!

No that was Webster. DJ did run himself out of the play and over commited to the left of the line and found hismelf two big Dlinemen in the process. It was Webster who was supposed to commit to the inside gap the RB was going to take, as Lynch had the outside gap, but Webster over thought the play and tried to juke to the outside, leaving a small but large enough hole for the RB to run and make a big play.

East Coast Fan
10-06-2007, 09:21 PM
No that was Webster. DJ did run himself out of the play and over commited to the left of the line and found hismelf two big Dlinemen in the process. It was Webster who was supposed to commit to the inside gap the RB was going to take, as Lynch had the outside gap, but Webster over thought the play and tried to juke to the outside, leaving a small but large enough hole for the RB to run and make a big play.

You're probably right. But I do remember them mentioning Williams being out of position on either that play or the other one. Either way, it's got to be fixed or we're in trouble! I STILL haven't seen a live Broncos game out here in PA.-only thing that I saw was the replay of the Colts game. Hopefully, tomorrow's game will be on so that I can see what the heck really is going on!

lex
10-06-2007, 09:31 PM
I saw the "breakdown" of why our run defense is so bad last night on NFL Network, and it seems like the basic problem is undisciplined play; guys over-commiting and not staying in their lanes and over-running the play. Hopefully, Bates can also see this and correct it or it's gonna be a long season!

A lot of us have been saying this as well. But its not just the LBs overrunning the lanes they are supposed to fill. Its also partly because we have a RDT in Gordon who routinely gets knocked off the ball 3-5 yards. Not only does this create clutter for the LBs to run through but you also have to wonder if it leads to the LBs developing poor habits. Discipline means you trust other guys to do their job. They might be trying to compensate for Gordon so much that they over pursue. Its hard to know for sure but its not just one thing. BTW, they also have poor tackling.

Lonestar
10-06-2007, 11:44 PM
as a LB at from 215-245 pounds it is hard to stay disciplined when the OT or OG outweighs you by 60+ pounds and is on your side of the LOS.

And that is becuase the DL is getting taken out of the play.

dogfish
10-06-2007, 11:54 PM
Can we play disciplined defense?

i'd like to think so, but williams and webster have always been known for overpursuing, and gold seems to be getting worse in that regard as his career progresses. . . i'm firmly convinced we'll be drafting a LB on the first day next year! as others have pointed out, the crappy play of the DTs sure doesn't help any. . . naturally i WANT to think that our personnel isn't fundamentally flawed, but they sure haven't done much to convince me. . .

TXBRONC
10-07-2007, 12:13 AM
I'd like to think so, but Williams and Webster have always been known for over pursuing, and gold seems to be getting worse in that regard as his career progresses. . . I'm firmly convinced we'll be drafting a LB on the first day next year! as others have pointed out, the crappy play of the DTs sure doesn't help any. . . naturally i WANT to think that our personnel isn't fundamentally flawed, but they sure haven't done much to convince me. . .

I understand completely. Can the Broncos play with more discipline? Sure it's possible, its just hard to be confident about it sense they have had difficulties through the first month of the season.

broncosfanscott
10-07-2007, 12:37 AM
Hopefully, tomorrow's game will be on so that I can see what the heck really is going on!

This link will help. However only half of PA will see the SD/DEN game.

http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/2007-05-CBS2.html

omac
10-07-2007, 12:42 AM
as a LB at from 215-245 pounds it is hard to stay disciplined when the OT or OG outweighs you by 60+ pounds and is on your side of the LOS.

And that is becuase the DL is getting taken out of the play.

Sounds like a real good point.

I'd like to see more of the gang-tackling happen much sooner. It almost seems that it's one-on-one a whole lot.

Tned
10-07-2007, 06:35 AM

I've heard a few people talk about the Total Access breakdown, but I hadn't seen it.

However, Champ and a few other guys have been saying similar things the last few weeks. They have talked about things like it only takes one person out of position for big break downs to occur. Don't know if that is reality, or just talk on their part.

East Coast Fan
10-07-2007, 07:42 AM
This link will help. However only half of PA will see the SD/DEN game.

http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/2007-05-CBS2.html

Thank you my friend! According to the map, I'll be able to watch the game. Last week they kept showing ads for the Colts-Broncos game, our TV directory also had it listed, and when the 4:15 game came on it was Pittsburgh-Arizona :banghead: I never can figure out why they put certain games on and omit others, although it has a lot to do with "regional" teams. I see the Steelers and Jets from the AFC here a lot, even though other games would produce higher ratings because they are more meaningful games.

I appreciate your information-thank you! :salute:

Medford Bronco
10-07-2007, 07:53 AM

Maybe these guys can watch the video and stay in their lanes.

Learn from the Pats and Minny who both have excellent run defenses.

I HOPE they do but am not so sure they will..

dogfish
10-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Maybe these guys can watch the video and stay in their lanes.

Learn from the Pats and Minny who both have excellent run defenses.

I HOPE they do but am not so sure they will..

in all fairness, we'd have a good run defense too if we had pat williams-- he's one of the top three run-stopping DTs in football. . . .

Skinny
10-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Last week against Indy on the play that Marvin Harrison got hurt while blocking for Addai was on a nice 'slide'/pursuit tackle by DJ. So i also see the positives of DJ progress too.

He's learning.

But in all honesty i'm going to be fair to the LB core considering how bad the D-line is playing. The D-line is where it all starts for the LBs and those guys are having to work TWICE as hard to make plays.

Webster, DJ, and Ian are the least of my worries.

BigBroncLove
10-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Sounds like a real good point.

I'd like to see more of the gang-tackling happen much sooner. It almost seems that it's one-on-one a whole lot.

Well unfortunately given the personel, IMHO I don't think we will see much gang tackling. Bates scheme in this personel is all about gap assignments. That usually means one man per gap assignment, allowing very little bend in this D. If we had better DT's who could handle a true two gap system, and close gaps in the middle, allowing the LB's to deal with less gaps, then we could see more gang tackling, but with what I've seen in the replays of Broncos games through the season thus far, the Broncos LB's each have to hit their gap assignments which means one man per gap.

The terrible tackling by this D is also compounding the gap assignment problems thus far. We gotta hope they start getting things together. Today will be a big teller IMO if we continue to see the same LB lineup after the bye.

BigBroncLove
10-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Last week against Indy on the play that Marvin Harrison got hurt while blocking for Addai was on a nice 'slide'/pursuit tackle by DJ. So i also see the positives of DJ progress too.

He's learning.

But in all honesty i'm going to be fair to the LB core considering how bad the D-line is playing. The D-line is where it all starts for the LBs and those guys are having to work TWICE as hard to make plays.

Webster, DJ, and Ian are the least of my worries.

I agree, but none the less he is making mental mistakes that rest on him IMO, not the Dline. The DT's certienly arn't helping the situation, and last week wasn't a great teller since our real starting DT's were out, which Shanahan and company chose to do based upon Mannings ability to run the no huddle (and I think it was smart, though a bit costly). So I agree, the Dline does share a good deal of responsibility, but the LB's have not been playing to form IMO.

Gold is getting pushed around due to his lack of size. That has always happened, but this year in this system it seems to be amplified over years past. Williams is making gap mistakes and giving up big yards in the procvess, and so is Webster. There are positives for our LB's as well, but right now I am becoming a little more pessimistic with their level of play compared to weeks past seeing their problems persist on replays and breakdowns on NFL shows week in and week out.

jlarsiii
10-07-2007, 11:31 AM
I will answer the question with a simple answer: no. Until this defense proves it on the field I will have to say that they can't play disciplined. We have played 1/4 of the season without any sign of improvement in that department.

I hope that they prove me wrong by the end of the season, but it doesn't look like anything is going to change with this defense.

Lonestar
10-07-2007, 11:35 AM
in all fairness, we'd have a good run defense too if we had pat williams-- he's one of the top three run-stopping DTs in football. . . .

You see that is the rub we are trying to create great players instead of drafting them.

Mikey on the cheap again on Defense unless your taking about CB or LB's.

BigBroncLove
10-07-2007, 11:41 AM
You see that is the rub we are trying to create great players instead of drafting them.

Mikey on the cheap again on Defense unless your taking about CB or LB's.

Dont forget the DE's to :D. They drafted two big DE's, brought in the big Doom last season who is performing great, and also signed Rice who has yet to find his step, but I think will.

The DT's brought in though are generally the worst tandem in the league :mad:

broncosfanscott
10-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Can we play disciplined defense?

NO!