PDA

View Full Version : Is There a Future For Tebow at H-Back or TE?

Npba900
11-06-2011, 08:33 AM
I've got my fingers crossed that Elway's shrewdness, open mindedness, thinking outside the box and GM smarts come into play and short of injury advocates for Tebow to remain the starter for the remainder of the 2011 season. By doing so in the end perhaps Elway can convince Tebow that he has a long term career as a Bronco.....but as an H-Back or TE and not a long term solution at QB.

Elway just wants to show Tebow he was given a chance as a starting QB. If Tebow's great character, common sense and integrity realizes that Elway gave him his chance, when no other NFL team would have and respected his goal of becoming an NFL QB, but it just didn't work out, Tebow just might make the switch to H-Back or TE.

Elway has said from the beginning that T2 is a great football player/athlete but it might no parley into being a great QB in the NFL.

I'd rather its the Broncos that can convince Tebow to switch to a TE/H-Back before another NFL team convinces Tebow to make the position change.

Whichever team that can convince Tebow to switch positions, will be getting a good-great H-Back--TE receiver. Tebow's athleticism good just yet turn him into a pro bowler at H-Back/TE and a long shot to the HOF. You just never know.

Ravage!!!
11-06-2011, 09:06 AM
I think Tebow could play at a position other than QB in the NFL.. but he won't. Just as Stewart wouldn't/didn't.

But if he DID play another position other than QB, it won't be in Denver. He'll be released/traded to another team where he will try to play QB once again. He'll play the "specialty" QB where he comes in on goalline situations to run the wildcat.

SoCalImport
11-06-2011, 11:13 AM
You just never know.

sums it up for me

CrazyHorse
11-06-2011, 03:50 PM
CFL Quarterback Superstar.

tomjonesrocks
11-06-2011, 04:03 PM
I wish. Especially at TE.

Obviously I don't know him personally, but it seems from all indications in interviews, documentaries, etc., that he has his heart set on this QB dream.

If it were suddenly to come out of his mouth that he was open to other positions that would be good news for Denver. If you could get his fire and passion on the field without it meaning errant wounded ducks being chucked all over Invesco that would be fantastic.

bcbronc
11-06-2011, 04:04 PM
He'll play the "specialty" QB where he comes in on goalline situations to run the wildcat.

This is the worst thing about the Tebowites...they could deprive us of an effective short yardage weapon. If he was any other prospect Tebow could be a very effective package player, if never a starting QB. But the politics of Tebow make that pretty much impossible in Denver.

Lancane
11-06-2011, 04:06 PM
I say if we keep him convert him to a backup quarterback/slot receiver/tight end...he'd do fine in that case.

SR
11-06-2011, 04:21 PM
I think he'll be great...

...on another team.

nevcraw
11-06-2011, 07:54 PM
nope think he's a qb

SR
11-06-2011, 08:05 PM
He was 10/21 for 120-something and two TDs...

MileHiWildcat
11-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Close this thread full of FAIL

Lancane
11-06-2011, 08:12 PM
nope think he's a qb

It's too soon to determine that Nev, enjoy the win. But I'm not happy about his numbers, he had below mediocre numbers for an NFL starting quarterback.

I think he earned another week, but he needs to complete more passes, have more yards per game and lessen the yards with his legs. He did well enough to beat Oakland, but it wouldn't be enough to beat the more high powered teams and that's a fact.

Let's see if he improves next week or remains below average.

Northman
11-06-2011, 08:17 PM
It's too soon to determine that Nev, enjoy the win. But I'm not happy about his numbers, he had below mediocre numbers for an NFL starting quarterback.

I think he earned another week, but he needs to complete more passes, have more yards per game and lessen the yards with his legs. He did well enough to beat Oakland, but it wouldn't be enough to beat the more high powered teams and that's a fact.

Let's see if he improves next week or remains below average.

Well, i dont like the fact that he still struggles to hit wide open receivers. But..... Eli went 21/39 or too something of that effect and still won the game for the Giants in NE.

I dont like the fact that our QB is running for over a 100 yds but lets be happy that we won. I didnt think we would be able to do it yet it got done. Can Tebow carry the team if the rest of them dont play well? Probably not but winning is winning.

Ravage!!!
11-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Eli is a top QB in the league. Tebow was 47%... and we had to negate down to running the OPTION run.

Now, granted, the OC kept calling what the defense was giving us. So can't blame that. But we still had a QB riding the RB on veer reads on a keep/pull option. It will be ONE game before thats taken away from us.

Good win, but I don't think this proves Tebow to be a QB at all. :beer:

broncohead
11-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Eli is a top QB in the league. Tebow was 47%... and we had to negate down to running the OPTION run.

Now, granted, the OC kept calling what the defense was giving us. So can't blame that. But we still had a QB riding the RB on veer reads on a keep/pull option. It will be ONE game before thats taken away from us.

I was thinking the same thing. We got away with it this game but apposing DEs will start to stay home

Northman
11-06-2011, 08:27 PM

Indeed. But my point was that ALL QB's can have bad games yet find ways to win. Even though i still have many questions for Tebow im not going to let it sour me on a very impressive win today. Its hard to argue that without Tebow's run yardage that we win today.

Tned
11-06-2011, 08:29 PM

Maybe. The Raiders said they practiced that read/option play all week and in the second half couldn't stop it.

I don't like it. I think the plays that were good were the rolling pocket and things like that, but the fact is it worked against a team that we had about 40 yards rushing against two months ago.

BroncoNut
11-06-2011, 10:24 PM
dudes got some speed. I can see him as an effective hback, maybe a TE.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Maybe. The Raiders said they practiced that read/option play all week and in the second half couldn't stop it.

I don't like it. I think the plays that were good were the rolling pocket and things like that, but the fact is it worked against a team that we had about 40 yards rushing against two months ago.

Not to mention, but Carolina has been doing it all year with Cam Newton and people still can't stop it. How many teams saw Newton/Tebow/etc, etc do it every week in college and still couldn't stop it? It's like Georgia Tech's triple option offense. How many weeks did Clemson, who has a really good defense, have to prepare for it and they got run the hell over last weekend?

Sometimes it's just about execution. It's like the saying, "there's no defense for a perfect pass", well in some cases, there's just no defense for a properly run option-read offense. The only drawback are the hits your QB takes sometimes. Saying, "It will be solved in ONE week" is like saying you can solve the West Coast offense or the ZBS in one week. Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, the other team just executes better.

I'd also like to point out everyone who said Tebow would get killed with all his running that Tebow takes much larger shots in the pocket then when he scrambles or runs designed draws.

nevcraw
11-06-2011, 11:03 PM
kid played well threw zero picks and people are still bitching. it's a process!!! That was the best bronco team win since Plummer was playing. I am impressed.

nevcraw
11-06-2011, 11:04 PM
He was 10/21 for 120-something and two TDs...

and a win.

broncobryce
11-06-2011, 11:05 PM
No. There is a future at QB.

Lancane
11-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Not to mention, but Carolina has been doing it all year with Cam Newton and people still can't stop it. How many teams saw Newton/Tebow/etc, etc do it every week in college and still couldn't stop it? It's like Georgia Tech's triple option offense. How many weeks did Clemson, who has a really good defense have to prepare for it and they got run the hell over last weekend?

Sometimes it's just about execution. It's like the saying, "there's no defense for a perfect pass", well in some cases, there's just no defense for a properly run option-read offense. The only drawback are the hits your QB takes sometimes. Saying, "It will be solved in ONE week" is like saying you can solve the West Coast offense or the ZBS in one week. Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, the other team just executes better.

I'd also like to point out everyone who said Tebow would get killed with all his running that Tebow takes much larger shots in the pocket then when he scrambles or runs designed draws.

Cam Newton has also has thrown for over at least two hundred yards in every contest if not more and has a completion percentage above 60%, only once this season did he throw for less then two hundred and a top that he has three, three hundred plus yard performances - two of which were over four hundred. Tebow has only thrown over two hundred yards twice, one was barely over the mark and he has had only one three hundred yard game, not to mention that he's got a completion percentage of 46.1 which is horrific.

nevcraw
11-06-2011, 11:11 PM
Cam Newton has also has thrown for over at least two hundred yards in every contest if not more and has a completion percentage above 60%, only once this season did he throw for less then two hundred and a top that he has three, three hundred plus yard performances - two of which were over four hundred. Tebow has only thrown over two hundred yards twice, one was barely over the mark and he has had only one three hundred yard game, not to mention that he's got a completion percentage of 46.1 which is horrific.

so?

HORSEPOWER 56
11-06-2011, 11:13 PM
I was thinking the same thing. We got away with it this game but apposing DEs will start to stay home

And when they do, they can't crash down in backside pursuit vs the run. That's when the hand-off happens and the RB shoots the gap between the G and T for 5+ yards. The big McGahee run came on that exact play. We ran the play several times and rarely was Oakland able to stop it effectively. I'm not talking about just the designed shogun RB draw, I'm talking about the read play.

That option read effectively freezes the DE and forces him to commit to either chasing the RB or staying home against the QB. It's no different than the naked boot we used to run with Elway and Plummer. What do you choose? The QB and give up a potentially big run or the RB and give up a potential QB run or big play pass as the QB rolls out?

HORSEPOWER 56
11-06-2011, 11:17 PM

Once again, who gives a flying **** about passing stats? Wins are the ONLY stats that are important. You're completely locked in on this BS crap you hear from analysts about guys having to be a 60%, pocket passer when it's just a bunch of bunk.

Tebow is now 3-3 as a starter in 6 games. I DON'T CARE HOW WINS HAPPEN AS LONG AS THEY HAPPEN! Roethlisberger played like complete ass in his first Superbowl win, but he did enough with his legs to win the game.

Lancane
11-06-2011, 11:17 PM
and a win.

I'm glad we won...

But does anyone actually believe that he could shoulder this team and lead them to victory? That he could best a top flight quarterback and offense in a shootout?

This was a team victory, but Tebow's numbers were not solid, they were mediocre to say the least.

Northman
11-06-2011, 11:23 PM
I'm glad we won...

Yes, awesome win. The team stepped up in defense, rushing, and ST's. Something we havent seen a lot of this year.

But does anyone actually believe that he could shoulder this team and lead them to victory?

In a way he's done it twice. Once against Houston and once against Miami so yea he can do it if the situation is right for him.

That he could best a top flight quarterback and offense in a shootout?

With his current accuracy? No.

Fact is he wont or we wont be able to win games every week with him running more than passing. It just wont happen and we saw that against a team like Detroit. At some point he is going to have to be able to dissect and exploit defenses through the air with more consistency.

This was a team victory, but Tebow's numbers were not solid, they were mediocre to say the least.

Definitely the usual percentage he has had so far in the season. But again, look around the league and there is some pretty bad play by some very good QB's. It happens, right now it just is happening to Tebow more than your average QB. He has work to do for sure still.

underrated29
11-06-2011, 11:24 PM
You guys can have your stats and your throwing motions. I am going to take my wins.

PS- Peyton manning says hi.

Northman
11-06-2011, 11:26 PM
You guys can have your stats and your throwing motions. I am going to take my wins.

Doesnt Manning have both? :lol:

underrated29
11-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Doesnt Manning have both? :lol:

Hahaha. Not this year

HORSEPOWER 56
11-06-2011, 11:27 PM
I'm glad we won...

But does anyone actually believe that he could shoulder this team and lead them to victory? That he could best a top flight quarterback and offense in a shootout?

The opposing offense is not his problem. Stopping that QB falls squarely on the defense. But I'll tell you what, if we keep running the ball like we did in the second half, those "top flight" QBs and offenses won't be on the field very much.

Dreadnought
11-06-2011, 11:30 PM

QB rating was 98+. A FAR better statistical yardstick than completion percentage. Comp percentage is much the least important of the four stats going into the QB rating. I simply don't give a Rat's ass about it. Nor do I really give a Rat's Ass about total yardage.

Oh, and we won, too. He also ended up with decent passing numbers. I'd like to see a better YPA, but I think that will come

Lancane
11-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Once again, who gives a flying **** about passing stats? Wins are the ONLY stats that are important. You're completely locked in on this BS crap you hear from analysts about guys having to be a 60%, pocket passer when it's just a bunch of bunk.

Tebow is now 3-3 as a starter in 6 games. I DON'T CARE HOW THEY HAPPEN AS LONG AS THEY HAPPEN! Roethlisberger played like complete ass in his first Superbowl win, but he did enough with his legs to win the game.

So you think a performance like that would beat Detroit, New England, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Houston or New York?

Winning is meaningless if there is no goal, and the goal for most is to win enough to get into the playoffs and eventually win a championship - that hasn't changed! I guess stats are meaningless for you (which is your prerogative), but don't talk down on me HP like I am wrong, cause you know damn well that I'm not against the kid, I'm just not buying that he can do the g'damn job required to play the position or lead a team to surpass those who are perennial playoff caliber teams and favorites to win the title.

I'm not saying that it can not be done, what I'm saying is that he hasn't shown enough to be considered even a legit starting quarterback, let alone a franchise quarterback. Roethlisberger at times looks like crap, he's also had the luxury of having a tremendous defense and solid ground game for most of his career. He wouldn't be the same elsewhere.

Can Tebow become a starting caliber quarterback? I dunno, I think he's earned more time, and we'll see how it plays out, but in three contests his numbers have been mediocre and that's just a fact, it's indisputable.

Tned
11-06-2011, 11:37 PM
While it wasn't always pretty, it was a 98 passer rating, and a great improvement over the first two starts this year.

Lancane
11-06-2011, 11:40 PM
The opposing offense is not his problem. Stopping that QB falls squarely on the defense. But I'll tell you what, if we keep running the ball like we did in the second half, those "top flight" QBs and offenses won't be on the field very much.

One victory with solid numbers and you believe the run game is unstoppable?

Come on HP, your riding the high of a big victory (and you should)...but don't go overboard and start buying that this offense can do that too many in this league...eventually Tebow will have to win with his arm and where the offense rests on his shoulders and that's just the way of it.

We'll see what happens, if he grows and gets better or if he remains about the same, or indeed regresses.

underrated29
11-06-2011, 11:55 PM
So you think a performance like that would beat Detroit, New England, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Houston or New York?

Winning is meaningless if there is no goal, and the goal for most is to win enough to get into the playoffs and eventually win a championship - that hasn't changed! I guess stats are meaningless for you (which is your prerogative), but don't talk down on me HP like I am wrong, cause you know damn well that I'm not against the kid, I'm just not buying that he can do the g'damn job required to play the position or lead a team to surpass those who are perennial playoff caliber teams and favorites to win the title.

I'm not saying that it can not be done, what I'm saying is that he hasn't shown enough to be considered even a legit starting quarterback, let alone a franchise quarterback. Roethlisberger at times looks like crap, he's also had the luxury of having a tremendous defense and solid ground game for most of his career. He wouldn't be the same elsewhere.

Can Tebow become a starting caliber quarterback? I dunno, I think he's earned more time, and we'll see how it plays out, but in three contests his numbers have been mediocre and that's just a fact, it's indisputable.

You have to be fare LAN...do you think with tom Brady we would be able to beat those teams? Or with Cutler/plummer?

Imo no way. Our team (keyword) is not as complete as those teams. So sure ultimate goal is to win to get to playoffs, but I will taken the opportunity just to get there for a 6rb start qb.

nevcraw
11-06-2011, 11:58 PM

Come on HP, your riding the high of a big victory (and you should)...but don't go overboard and start buying that this offense can do that too many in this league...eventually Tebow will have to win with his arm and where the offense rests on his shoulders and that's just the way of it.

We'll see what happens, if he grows and gets better or if he remains about the same, or indeed regresses.

it's football dude.. it's a fluid thingy.. you either ride the wave or wait until the mayan calendar gives us another HOF QB.

silkamilkamonico
11-07-2011, 12:49 AM
it's football dude.. it's a fluid thingy.. you either ride the wave or wait until the mayan calendar gives us another HOF QB.

If we rode the wave, we could be like the Rams, who went from crushing the New Orlean Saints one week, to losing to John Skelton and the Cardinals the next.

Great win today by the Broncos. Let's hope they don't go and fall flat on their face of embarrassment against the hapless Chiefs next week...because it very well could happen.

Ravage!!!
11-07-2011, 01:09 AM
I don't think I would say the Chiefs are "hapless."

Davii
11-07-2011, 01:57 AM
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/Letha123/thread-delivers.jpg

http://policelink.monster.com/nfs/policelink/attachment_images/0057/0955/epic-fail-sports-fail-epic-forehead-weak-retard-demotivational-poster-1206344902.jpg

slim
11-07-2011, 08:46 AM

It was only his 6th NFL start, Lan. Maybe you need a little perspective? Here, read this.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_19274728