PDA

View Full Version : Giants Fan Here RE: Spagnuolo

Blue Run
01-05-2009, 07:44 PM
A Giants Fan Here RE: Steve Spagnuolo
As much as I'd hate to see him go, diehard Giants fans realize it's inevitable and I think he'd be an excellent hire for the Broncos. The sentiments seem to be "best if he goes to the AFC" so we don't have to play against him. Of the open jobs right now, Giants fans are hearing Mangini will take the CLE job, the DET job isn't tempting to anyone and Spags came off as "unprepared" for the Jets interview.

I know he has only been in NY for 1 year, but he has made a instant and lasting positive impression. And that's no small feet, considering most Giants fans were highly skeptical of an inexperienced position coach from our rival Philadelphia Eagles. But Spagnuolo won us over quickly, always being a cool, stand-up guy who clearly communicates well.

Of course, the NFL is the ultimate results-oriented business, and Spags has backed up his leadership act on the field. He replaced a DC (Tim Lewis) who ran hot and cold and immediately brought consistent excellence to the unit, which featured much of the same personnel.

Spagnuolo's biggest feat, personnel-wise, was turning CB Corey Webster from a spare part bust under Lewis into an All Pro CB in less than a year. Really, our entire secondary got much better after his arrival, with players like SS James Butler and CB Kevin Dockery looking much improved. This past year, he championed our GM Jerry Reese to choose FS Kenny Phillips in the 1st round, with excellent results.

Scheme-wise, he is a delight. He really mixes it up and is cutting edge. Contrary to popular belief, he is NOT copying Eagles DC Jim Johnson's schemes to a T. He took stuff from Johnson and combined it with Tom Coughlin's ideas to create a "hybrid" defense between the 2. (To be completely accurate, he used the 4-3 under looks we used to stuff the run, and imported a lot of Johnson's man-press pass coverage and overload blitz principles. F.E., he likes to show blitz from 1 side, get the protection looking that way, then drop back and bring an overload from the other side. He also likes "kamikaze blitzes" where one blitzer intentionally blitzes right into a blocker while another blitzer follows behind him through the same gap.)

Additionally, a lot of what he started last year has become "en vogue" around the NFL. He has helped turn DE/DT Justin Tuck into one of the top defensive players in the NFL by allowing him to rush from DE, DT and even as a stand-up MLB on 3rd downs. Last year, before DE Mathias Kiwanuka was lost for the season, he made famous a "4 Aces" 3rd down Package that featured 4 DE's on the DL at the same time - Strahan - Kiwanuka -Tuck - Osi Umenyiora left to right. If you've got the pass rushers, he'll put them on the field. Look for Spags to work some of your DE's inside on pass rushing packages to get more speed on the field.

One other thing that has become a staple under Spags is his "Big Nickel" and "Big Dime" packages featuring 3 S's on the field simultaneously. This year we've often shifted our starting FS Michael Johnson to the slot, using Phillips and Butler over the top and using a slot S instead of a slot CB, which allows you to be more physical. Look for him to bring in athletic S's (and tweener DL's) who can handle these types of unorthodox assignments.
This is done because Spags likes to defend base offenses with subpackages, relying on his slot S to play like a LB in those situations in case of a run. If it' a pass, he has a S to blitz or cover the TE, instead of a LB. It has worked well for us and allowed us to match up better with today's speedy passing attacks featuring athletic TEs and RBs out of the backfield.

As a closing - the only valid point I can see to not hiring Spagnuolo would be what kind of coaching staff he'd put together. Fair point - as none of the Giants assistants are going with him. (They were all retained when he was hired from the Lewis regime.) But he has a decent player following. Here is what a lot of Giants fans see happening should Spagnuolo leave. He will take SS James Butler with him (who is an UFA). Butler doesn't have much of a reputation nationally but he is young, experienced and just entering his prime. One of the tallest, lankiest S's in the NFL (6'3 215 lbs.) and extremely smart. He has been the QB of our secondary for the last 2 years, very rarely gives up big plays and is constantly lauded by the coaching staff for being in position and limiting yards.
We also expect than MLB Antonio Pierce may be shown the door. He is still under contract, but is under some legal fire for his involvement in the Plaxico Burress situation and may have fallen out of favor with the Giants' extremely conservative ownership. Plus, he's 29 and has clearly lost a step. That being said, he is still a Pro Bowl alternate and is one of the smartest MLBs in the NFL. He is literally a coach on the field, a 3-down LB who is Spagnuolo's right hand man in NY. I could see Spagnuolo taking Pierce and Butler, 2 very vocal players from his D in NY, with him to his new destination to help him install. CB Kevin Dockery is also set to be a RFA and DE's Renaldo Wynn and Dave Tollefson may shake free. All 3 are good backups who know the system.

Let me know if you have any questions about Spagnuolo, he is one of the best coordinators we've ever had, and that is a bold statement coming from Giants Central.

PatricktheDookie
01-05-2009, 07:47 PM
I remember seeing him in the Super Bowl, cheering at his defense and pounding his fists into the ground.

That one shot gave me a lasting image of the energy and excitement he can bring to a team.

PatricktheDookie
01-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Oh yeah, and because this has been bothering me for awhile...

When you guys beat the Broncos in 2005, Plaxico Burress pushed off on every reception. Terrible officiating!

That game still upsets me...

fcspikeit
01-05-2009, 07:51 PM
As much as I'd hate to see him go, diehard Giants fans realize it's inevitable and I think he'd be an excellent hire for the Broncos. The sentiments seem to be "best if he goes to the AFC" so we don't have to play against him. Of the open jobs right now, Giants fans are hearing Mangini will take the CLE job, the DET job isn't tempting to anyone and Spags came off as "unprepared" for the Jets interview.

I know he has only been in NY for 1 year, but he has made a instant and lasting positive impression. And that's no small feet, considering most Giants fans were highly skeptical of an inexperienced position coach from our rival Philadelphia Eagles. But Spagnuolo won us over quickly, always being a cool, stand-up guy who clearly communicates well.

Of course, the NFL is the ultimate results-oriented business, and Spags has backed up his leadership act on the field. He replaced a DC (Tim Lewis) who ran hot and cold and immediately brought consistent excellence to the unit, which featured much of the same personnel.

Spagnuolo's biggest feat, personnel-wise, was turning CB Corey Webster from a spare part bust under Lewis into an All Pro CB in less than a year. Really, our entire secondary got much better after his arrival, with players like SS James Butler and CB Kevin Dockery looking much improved. This past year, he championed our GM Jerry Reese to choose FS Kenny Phillips in the 1st round, with excellent results.

Scheme-wise, he is a delight. He really mixes it up and is cutting edge. Contrary to popular belief, he is NOT copying Eagles DC Jim Johnson's schemes to a T. He took stuff from Johnson and combined it with Tom Coughlin's ideas to create a "hybrid" defense between the 2. (To be completely accurate, he used the 4-3 under looks we used to stuff the run, and imported a lot of Johnson's man-press pass coverage and overload blitz principles. F.E., he likes to show blitz from 1 side, get the protection looking that way, then drop back and bring an overload from the other side. He also likes "kamikaze blitzes" where one blitzer intentionally blitzes right into a blocker while another blitzer follows behind him through the same gap.)

Additionally, a lot of what he started last year has become "en vogue" around the NFL. He has helped turn DE/DT Justin Tuck into one of the top defensive players in the NFL by allowing him to rush from DE, DT and even as a stand-up MLB on 3rd downs. Last year, before DE Mathias Kiwanuka was lost for the season, he made famous a "4 Aces" 3rd down Package that featured 4 DE's on the DL at the same time - Strahan - Kiwanuka -Tuck - Osi Umenyiora left to right. If you've got the pass rushers, he'll put them on the field. Look for Spags to work some of your DE's inside on pass rushing packages to get more speed on the field.

One other thing that has become a staple under Spags is his "Big Nickel" and "Big Dime" packages featuring 3 S's on the field simultaneously. This year we've often shifted our starting FS Michael Johnson to the slot, using Phillips and Butler over the top and using a slot S instead of a slot CB, which allows you to be more physical. Look for him to bring in athletic S's (and tweener DL's) who can handle these types of unorthodox assignments.
This is done because Spags likes to defend base offenses with subpackages, relying on his slot S to play like a LB in those situations in case of a run. If it' a pass, he has a S to blitz or cover the TE, instead of a LB. It has worked well for us and allowed us to match up better with today's speedy passing attacks featuring athletic TEs and RBs out of the backfield.

As a closing - the only valid point I can see to not hiring Spagnuolo would be what kind of coaching staff he'd put together. Fair point - as none of the Giants assistants are going with him. (They were all retained when he was hired from the Lewis regime.) But he has a decent player following. Here is what a lot of Giants fans see happening should Spagnuolo leave. He will take SS James Butler with him (who is an UFA). Butler doesn't have much of a reputation nationally but he is young, experienced and just entering his prime. One of the tallest, lankiest S's in the NFL (6'3 215 lbs.) and extremely smart. He has been the QB of our secondary for the last 2 years, very rarely gives up big plays and is constantly lauded by the coaching staff for being in position and limiting yards.
We also expect than MLB Antonio Pierce may be shown the door. He is still under contract, but is under some legal fire for his involvement in the Plaxico Burress situation and may have fallen out of favor with the Giants' extremely conservative ownership. Plus, he's 29 and has clearly lost a step. That being said, he is still a Pro Bowl alternate and is one of the smartest MLBs in the NFL. He is literally a coach on the field, a 3-down LB who is Spagnuolo's right hand man in NY. I could see Spagnuolo taking Pierce and Butler, 2 very vocal players from his D in NY, with him to his new destination to help him install. CB Kevin Dockery is also set to be a RFA and DE's Renaldo Wynn and Dave Tollefson may shake free. All 3 are good backups who know the system.

Let me know if you have any questions about Spagnuolo, he is one of the best coordinators we've ever had, and that is a bold statement coming from Giants Central.

:welcome: to the board! Thank you for your input.... I really hope we land him..

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2009, 08:04 PM
:welcome: to the board Blue Run - ENJOY -

Tned
01-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Hey Blue Run, welcome to the board, and thanks for the great insight into Spagnuolo. There are a lot of people on this message board that thinks he would be the best option, since defense has clearly been our big weakness the last few years.

TXBRONC
01-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Like the others welcome to Broncos Forums and thank you for your insights.

Broncolingus
01-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Welcome, Blue and thx for the post.

Feel free to salute all of us except for Girler...

girler
01-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Welcome, Blue and thx for the post.

Feel free to salute all of us except for Girler...

:fleshhook: :coffee:

Hey Blue Run. I've forgiven your team for the embarrassing beating we got in the superbowl in the 80's, and even cheered for you in the big game last year. :salute: I would love to have a taste of defense on this team again. :salute:

SR
01-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Oh yeah, and because this has been bothering me for awhile...

When you guys beat the Broncos in 2005, Plaxico Burress pushed off on every reception. Terrible officiating!

That game still upsets me...

I'm still mad about the game in '99 when they ruined our perfect season...

Thanks for the write up on Spags. I like what I've read of him thus far and I hope Bowlen hires him.

lex
01-05-2009, 09:33 PM

Can someone make sure that Pat sees this? Thanks.

Blue Run
01-05-2009, 09:45 PM
I would be rooting for DEN if they sign him because I really like this guy and I'm not a big Chargers fan, that scumbag A.J. Smith did bad business with us during the Eli saga. If the Broncos hire Spagnuolo, they will have one of the top defenses in the NFL very quickly. He will take Bulter and Pierce with him. He'll take an impact DE, CB or S with the 1st round pick. And he'll show you that he's an excellent teacher with a greaty system that the players LOVE playing in.

He just has an aura of invincibility, like he's always under control, ahead of the game and knows what to do. His in-game adjustments are apparent and effective. And his now 2 years being groomed under Tom Coughlin - one of the most knowledgable football men in the world - certainly doesn't hurt, either. 7 years under Jim Johnson (and Andy Reid). 2 years under Tom Coughlin. 9 years in the NFC East. He knows a thing or 2 about being a head coach and what it takes to win in the NFL.

The Hallmarks of the new, improved Spagnuolo defense are simple:
Stuff the run and send the QB home in a body bag. And usually that's exactly the way it goes.

Most of the time for the last 2 years, Giants fans leave the games thinking "damn, what a great defensive gameplan". Fun to watch.

MHCBill
01-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Is it worrisome I got an erection reading what Blue Run has said about Spagnuolo?

lex
01-05-2009, 09:55 PM
I would be rooting for DEN if they sign him because I really like this guy and I'm not a big Chargers fan, that scumbag A.J. Smith did bad business with us during the Eli saga. If the Broncos hire Spagnuolo, they will have one of the top defenses in the NFL very quickly. He will take Bulter and Pierce with him. He'll take an impact DE, CB or S with the 1st round pick. And he'll show you that he's an excellent teacher with a greaty system that the players LOVE playing in.

He just has an aura of invincibility, like he's always under control, ahead of the game and knows what to do. His in-game adjustments are apparent and effective. And his now 2 years being groomed under Tom Coughlin - one of the most knowledgable football men in the world - certainly doesn't hurt, either. 7 years under Jim Johnson (and Andy Reid). 2 years under Tom Coughlin. 9 years in the NFC East. He knows a thing or 2 about being a head coach and what it takes to win in the NFL.

Stuff the run and send the QB home in a body bag. And usually that's exactly the way it goes.

Most of the time for the last 2 years, Giants fans leave the games thinking "damn, what a great defensive gameplan". Fun to watch.

Do you think he knows more football than the Dalai Lama?

lex
01-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Is it worrisome I got an erection reading what Blue Run has said about Spagnuolo?

Just think about running that WR screen that didnt work 20 times a game instead of 10 because thats what McDaniels likes. As long as we have that WR screen, we dont need someone whose acumen is meaningful to us like Steel Spagnolia.

DenBronx
01-05-2009, 10:11 PM
cowher who?

DenBronx
01-05-2009, 10:13 PM
i'll be pissed if we dont get him. pierce would be a good pickup as well.

OB
01-06-2009, 12:11 AM
my son and brother are big giants fans - ive been rubbing it in - although it seems it may not happen

SmilinAssasSin27
01-06-2009, 12:47 AM
So if dude does come and brings a S and MLB with him, he's basically gonna draft ALL DLINE. The only other things we'd really be hard up for would be RB, OLB and OG/C of the future. And if you buy into the idea that he'll bring friends, Derrick Ward would look real good saluting the Denver fans.

tricks574
01-06-2009, 01:00 AM
Spag's is undoubtedly one of the best DC's in the game, he just seems a little old to hire for his first head coaching job. He is what, like, 49? I think he might be the kind of coach who is a great coordinator but just can't be a head coach. Sort of like Cam Cameron, who is one of the best OC's in the game, but is a pretty meh Head Coach.

Superchop 7
01-06-2009, 02:23 AM
We don't need a MLB, we have Nate and Niko.

So.......that Phillips kid was a good choice ?

Wish I'd have thought of that.

fcspikeit
01-06-2009, 02:45 AM
We don't need a MLB, we have Nate and Niko.

So.......that Phillips kid was a good choice ?

Wish I'd have thought of that.

Larson maybe, but the Nate sucks more then a free prostitute waiting at the gate, outside a state penitentiary... If Nate Webster is our starting Mike next year I will completely flip out!

Shazam!
01-06-2009, 02:58 AM
I'm not sure about it now. Second time I read a team was 'not impressed,' Denver and the NY Jets. Maybe he doesn't interview well, or his mind is preoccuppied by the NYG playoffs? Who knows. It may not happen. I'd be happy with McDonalds... errr, McDaniels too.

broncofaninfla
01-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the information Blue, really hope we land Spags!

Medford Bronco
01-06-2009, 09:04 AM

Thank you for posting this I wanted Spagnuolo from the get go. :salute: I would love Denver to get back to their glory years as a great D. Like in the late 1970s

CoachChaz
01-06-2009, 09:05 AM
I've stated before that I have a very good friend from my scouting days that is a scout for the Giants. Talked with him yesterday and he said that he'd be really upset to have Spagnuolo leave. He said he's the type of guy that is going to sit down and talk with someone and not do the usual politicking that a typical head coach does. Just said alot of great things about him as a person. I'd love to have him, but it is interesting how he interviews so miserably.

Either way, I'd be happy with him or McDaniels.

atwater27
01-06-2009, 09:12 AM
I've stated before that I have a very good friend from my scouting days that is a scout for the Giants. Talked with him yesterday and he said that he'd be really upset to have Spagnuolo leave. He said he's the type of guy that is going to sit down and talk with someone and not do the usual politicking that a typical head coach does. Just said alot of great things about him as a person. I'd love to have him, but it is interesting how he interviews so miserably.

Either way, I'd be happy with him or McDaniels.

In my experience, there are just as many folks who have stellar job interviews that end up being pieces of shit as there are people who are horrible in their interviews that end up being stellar employees.

Traveler
01-06-2009, 09:12 AM
I kinda torn. I know what we need NOW is someone that can repair our defense. But I'm also a big picture guy. I don't want the team to have to select another HC for at least 7-10 years.

Is Spagnuolo only a short term fix or long-term answer?

PatricktheDookie
01-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Spag's is undoubtedly one of the best DC's in the game, he just seems a little old to hire for his first head coaching job. He is what, like, 49? I think he might be the kind of coach who is a great coordinator but just can't be a head coach. Sort of like Cam Cameron, who is one of the best OC's in the game, but is a pretty meh Head Coach.

I remember when 49 was young for coaches...

atwater27
01-06-2009, 09:15 AM
I agree Traveler. That said, I think the Broncos are considering only the best of what is available, and there is alot available. If our next coach comes from the Giants or the Patriots, we will be in good hands.

CoachChaz
01-06-2009, 09:22 AM
I wouldnt be upset with Garrett, either. He had the Dallas offense rolling strong until Jones stuck his nose in and tried to play OC. There's a reason teams want him and why Jones paid him a ton.

broncofaninfla
01-06-2009, 09:25 AM
In my experience, there are just as many folks who have stellar job interviews that end up being pieces of shit as there are people who are horrible in their interviews that end up being stellar employees.

So true. I wrapped up a project just last year in which I had to interview and hire 120 people. Some of the weaker interviews ended up being some of my best employees. IF Spags did have a bad interview I'm hoping Bowlen's team takes his track record into consideration when they begin to make their final decision. I wouldn't be suprised to see them give a second round of interviews before making their final decision.

Traveler
01-06-2009, 09:28 AM
I wouldnt be upset with Garrett, either. He had the Dallas offense rolling strong until Jones stuck his nose in and tried to play OC. There's a reason teams want him and why Jones paid him a ton.

Garrett=Bates. Just keep bates as OC if that's the choice and hire Spagnuolo, Morris, or Frazier.

CoachChaz
01-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Garrett=Bates. Just keep bates as OC if that's the choice and hire Spagnuolo, Morris, or Frazier.

I know alot of people think really highly of Bates, but what has he done? I'm not saying he cant be an OC one day, but right now?

I also have to look at the long line of DC's that became HC's. What's the success rate?

DenverBronkHoes
01-06-2009, 09:35 AM
good post.......

it doesnt take a giant fan to show me how good Spaggs is. I watch other teams play and living down here i have ALOT of Giant fan friends.. Guy is brilliant

i wanted this guy the day Shanny was shitt canned....

its important we get a guy here from a class organization, defensive mind, somebody with some fire in their eyes and football hate in their heart...

not too mention the guy is italian.....

Medford Bronco
01-06-2009, 09:46 AM
I know alot of people think really highly of Bates, but what has he done? I'm not saying he cant be an OC one day, but right now?

I also have to look at the long line of DC's that became HC's. What's the success rate?

I agree, I think people here overrate him big time.

Yes we had injuries on offense but our passing game was inconsistent with
turnovers etc.

If the new coach likes him, he should stay but if not then the new coach
should hire who he wants. Just My Humble Opinion and most wont like it I am sure.

CoachChaz
01-06-2009, 09:56 AM
I agree, I think people here overrate him big time.

Yes we had injuries on offense but our passing game was inconsistent with
turnovers etc.

If the new coach likes him, he should stay but if not then the new coach
should hire who he wants. Just My Humble Opinion and most wont like it I am sure.

I think most people like him because Cutler likes him. I dont see that as a reason to keep him or promote him. Trent Green recently said how much he enjoys playing for Jim Haslett...should the Rams keep him?

Or...

How much do you think Giants players enjoy playing for Coughlin? Probably not alot, but he has done a pretty damn good job winning.

Just like anything else, it's 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. There is no guaranteed recipe for success and I always have to be just a little curious when a player starts doctating who stays and who goes.

Nomad
01-06-2009, 09:57 AM

They had a breakdown of DC's or a defense coach as HC's at Mania and the success rate isn't very good, but that's not to say one of these guys being looked at won't be another successful coach.

I believe the way Bowlen is going to hire a HC and GM seperately will make a world of difference. The players can't be closed minded (regardless of their status on the team) no matter who is hired as HC and GM and the coaches they bring in!

CoachChaz
01-06-2009, 09:59 AM
The more I look at the scenario and what is best for the team overall...the more I lean towards McDaniels.

NightTrainLayne
01-06-2009, 10:05 AM
The more I look at the scenario and what is best for the team overall...the more I lean towards McDaniels.

I can't exactly quantify why, but I am leaning that direction also.

CoachChaz
01-06-2009, 10:14 AM
I can't exactly quantify why, but I am leaning that direction also.

I like his youth and the path he took to get where he is amidst an organization that has been nothing but successful as of late. I also like how he maximized the talent he had to work with. I mean seriously...how many people wrote off the Pats when Brady went down. No one could have expected the type of success that Cassell and Sammy Morris had.

Medford Bronco
01-06-2009, 10:21 AM
I like his youth and the path he took to get where he is amidst an organization that has been nothing but successful as of late. I also like how he maximized the talent he had to work with. I mean seriously...how many people wrote off the Pats when Brady went down. No one could have expected the type of success that Cassell and Sammy Morris had.

I respect your opinion Coach but a lot of people around here that are Pats fans are not as enamored with him as a lot of the ousiders are.

I think he did a great job this season but in the past, Brady had a lot to do with the success in tandem with McDaniels

He is okay but I feel with our team that our D needs a stronger leader and Spags would be that guy.

I would only be okay with McDaniels if they bring in a strong defensive coordinator to support him and a real GM type to run that part of the team, which is lacking the most IMO

who knows really, its all a crap shoot.

broncofaninfla
01-06-2009, 10:27 AM
At times I like Bates, then at times, I scratch my head and wonder what the heck he is thinking? The bubble screens against San Diego drained a lot of confidence I had for the guy. I wouldn't be angry if he got the nod BUT he isn't in the top 5 on my list right now. That brings me to this question: "Has Bates even been interviewed for the job?" The only current Bronco that I am aware of that has been interviewed is Dennision.

NightTrainLayne
01-06-2009, 10:27 AM

There. You quantified it for me. Thanks! :salute:

CoachChaz
01-06-2009, 10:37 AM
I respect your opinion Coach but a lot of people around here that are Pats fans are not as enamored with him as a lot of the ousiders are.

I think he did a great job this season but in the past, Brady had a lot to do with the success in tandem with McDaniels

He is okay but I feel with our team that our D needs a stronger leader and Spags would be that guy.

I would only be okay with McDaniels if they bring in a strong defensive coordinator to support him and a real GM type to run that part of the team, which is lacking the most IMO

who knows really, its all a crap shoot.

I guess I have to wonder why Pats fans wouldnt be happy with McDaniels. I cant see where he hasnt done anything but create success for them and their offense. But fans of every team are always going to nit-pick over their favorite organization. Look no further than this forum for proof of that.

I have to ask your opinion on why you think Spag is such a strong leader? Yes, he's done a good job with good players and he's a very good cheerleader, but running a team? I cant say I have any proof that he'd be a better "leader" than any of the other candidates. Just my opinion

Shazam!
01-06-2009, 10:45 AM
I'd seriously rather have Rick Dennison than some of these other guys, especially Morris. Some are too risky.

Rick
01-06-2009, 10:48 AM
If they write off Spags because of an informal interview over dinner then they are just stupid.

They need to look at his track record of success or at the very least bring him in again after Giants season is over for a more formal in depth interview.

Traveler
01-06-2009, 10:50 AM
If they write off Spags because of an informal interview over dinner then they are just stupid.

They need to look at his track record of success or at the very least bring him in again after Giants season is over for a more formal in depth interview.

My guess is that he'll get another interview once the NYG are done this weekend.:D

Medford Bronco
01-06-2009, 10:53 AM

Great post and agreed big time. :salute:

CoachChaz
01-06-2009, 11:03 AM

I highly doubt this would be the only reason they'd write him off.

TXBRONC
01-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Thank you for posting this I wanted Spagnuolo from the get go. :salute: I would love Denver to get back to their glory years as a great D. Like in the late 1970s

Hopefully that wont be at the expense of productive offense.

Fan in Exile
01-06-2009, 11:40 AM
I want a defensive mind as the head coach because I think that's what you need to win in today's NFL.

Look at the Superbowl winners going all the way back to 2000 and you'll see a common theme they all had Defense as they're key to victory. I believe that with the rules favoring the passing game the way they do, that you need to have a head coach who can focus on the defense because that takes a lot more work. You can get by with a good OC, and a good QB to run the offense but you have to have an institutional mentality that focuses on the D in order to win.

I like what Spags has done with the D in New York and I would like the Bronco's to hire him. I also like the idea of him bringing along a couple of his players because I think that would give us a leg up on turning the defense around especially if the guys that he brings in are leaders.

Medford Bronco
01-06-2009, 11:45 AM
I want a defensive mind as the head coach because I think that's what you need to win in today's NFL.

Look at the Superbowl winners going all the way back to 2000 and you'll see a common theme they all had Defense as they're key to victory. I believe that with the rules favoring the passing game the way they do, that you need to have a head coach who can focus on the defense because that takes a lot more work. You can get by with a good OC, and a good QB to run the offense but you have to have an institutional mentality that focuses on the D in order to win.

I like what Spags has done with the D in New York and I would like the Bronco's to hire him. I also like the idea of him bringing along a couple of his players because I think that would give us a leg up on turning the defense around especially if the guys that he brings in are leaders.

Great post, also IMHO he brings a lot more cashe than McDaniels does.

Just my humble opinon. I will support whomever they bring in though:salute:

Blue Run
01-06-2009, 02:22 PM
A little dirt on the "unimpressive interview" stuff:

I'm not privy to the DEN details but I know what happened with the Jets. They liked him, but they were looking to be "wowed" and Spags didn't "wow" them. Specifically, they currently run a 3-4 defense and Spags openly admitted he wasn't ready to make any kind of definitive statements about their personnel without looking at more tape.

He said similar things AFTER he was hired by the Giants. You could debate how important it is for the coach to know your personnel before you hire him - if you trust him to fix it, you trust him to eventually watch as much film as he wants before he's completely comfortable. Expecting a coach on a Tom Coughlin staff to be anything but focused on his current task at hand is just plain dumb. He was interviewed 4 times last week, how the heck can he be expected to be ready if they want to talk deeply and specifically about personnel?

Spagnuolo has a very specific scheme in mind and he knows the types of players he wants. You are hiring his ideas, his schemes and his leadership abilities (which are tremendous - ask anyone of his players in NY). He is a great motivator. Again, guys love playing in his schemes. And he doesn't seem old at all, he's very current, hip and has that Italian tough-guy streak that the players respond to and respect. I can't recall a coach who's done a better job of being both a "players coach" and a disciplinarian at the same time.

Like I've said, I'm sitting here smiling in the corner, hoping all the teams use the "unimpressive interview" stuff to hire other candidates. That means we get to keep him another year. And he'll get Osi Umenyiora back. To the guy who asked "short term fix" or not, no, you'll never want him to leave. He earned a lifetime pass on the Giants staff the minute he held Tom Brady (and Josh McDaniels) to 14 points in the Super Bowl.

Offensively, it's all speculation but I think, as a defensive guy, he'd try to bring in a ball control offense that takes shots down the field, similar to what the Giants run. He's seen that the combination of that O and his D can win a Super Bowl, something that hasn't worked with a WCO and J.J.'s D in PHI.

Medford Bronco
01-06-2009, 02:33 PM
A little dirt on the "unimpressive interview" stuff:

I'm not privy to the DEN details but I know what happened with the Jets. They liked him, but they were looking to be "wowed" and Spags didn't "wow" them. Specifically, they currently run a 3-4 defense and Spags openly admitted he wasn't ready to make any kind of definitive statements about their personnel without looking at more tape.

He said similar things AFTER he was hired by the Giants. You could debate how important it is for the coach to know your personnel before you hire him - if you trust him to fix it, you trust him to eventually watch as much film as he wants before he's completely comfortable. Expecting a coach on a Tom Coughlin staff to be anything but focused on his current task at hand is just plain dumb. He was interviewed 4 times last week, how the heck can he be expected to be ready if they want to talk deeply and specifically about personnel?

Spagnuolo has a very specific scheme in mind and he knows the types of players he wants. You are hiring his ideas, his schemes and his leadership abilities (which are tremendous - ask anyone of his players in NY). He is a great motivator. Again, guys love playing in his schemes. And he doesn't seem old at all, he's very current, hip and has that Italian tough-guy streak that the players respond to and respect. I can't recall a coach who's done a better job of being both a "players coach" and a disciplinarian at the same time.

Like I've said, I'm sitting here smiling in the corner, hoping all the teams use the "unimpressive interview" stuff to hire other candidates. That means we get to keep him another year. And he'll get Osi Umenyiora back. To the guy who asked "short term fix" or not, no, you'll never want him to leave. He earned a lifetime pass on the Giants staff the minute he held Tom Brady (and Josh McDaniels) to 14 points in the Super Bowl.

Offensively, it's all speculation but I think, as a defensive guy, he'd try to bring in a ball control offense that takes shots down the field, similar to what the Giants run. He's seen that the combination of that O and his D can win a Super Bowl, something that hasn't worked with a WCO and J.J.'s D in PHI.

Thanks for the post. I hope he does come here. No disrespect to your Giants as I think they still will be fine and might win another Super Bowl in the process.

Denver needs massive help on D and I would love to see Spags get the job and bring some of the talent here.

Fan in Exile
01-06-2009, 02:33 PM
I've got to say that the more I hear about Spags the happier I would be with him as HC which isn't true of some of the other guys out there.

underrated29
01-06-2009, 02:37 PM
I've got to say that the more I hear about Spags the happier I would be with him as HC which isn't true of some of the other guys out there.

Im right there with you. If i was a gm those are the characteristics i am looking for. I could care less about an interview. I am good at reading people and if they pass the ok part then it goes to actions speak louder than words.

An interview is all words.

Lonestar
01-06-2009, 03:15 PM
I'd seriously rather have Rick Dennison than some of these other guys, especially Morris. Some are too risky.

bite your tongue dennison is a mikey yes man.. got his job only because Gibbs left..

LAst thing we need is a home grown LB as HC.. IMHO

broncofaninfla
01-06-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm not sure how much weight we can put on the rumors that are supposedly coming out of Denver. Odds are, that team hasn't leaked any information and what we are hearing is pure speculation. I'm as guilty as anybody in reading these stories but after giving it more thought I doubt anything has been discussed with anybody outside closed doors.

tomjonesrocks
01-06-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm not sure how much weight we can put on the rumors that are supposedly coming out of Denver. Odds are, that team hasn't leaked any information and what we are hearing is pure speculation. I'm as guilty as anybody in reading these stories but after giving it more thought I doubt anything has been discussed with anybody outside closed doors.

Let's hope so, as I'm not liking the rumors...

TXBRONC
01-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Even if McDaniel is new head coach there is no reason to think he wont address the defense.

Medford Bronco
01-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Even if McDaniel is new head coach there is no reason to think he wont address the defense.

He will address the defense but who will he bring in?

I feel more comfortable with Spags but that is just my humblest of opinions.

I am not that impressed with McDaniels.

Last year he became very predicatble in the playoffs and Super Bowl and he had that all world offense going at the time.

He did not adjust to the Giants D, continually going deep and not bringing Moss underneath, which I think the Giants would not have stopped that easily. He did it on one drive that got NE ahead 14-10.

He might be okay but I feel our D has suffered so much over the last few years and need a much better leader for them

atwater27
01-06-2009, 07:20 PM
I guess I have to wonder why Pats fans wouldnt be happy with McDaniels. I cant see where he hasnt done anything but create success for them and their offense.

Unbelievable. I guess they would be happier with the awesome teams they had in the 80's.

bcbronc
01-06-2009, 07:24 PM
He will address the defense but who will he bring in?

I feel more comfortable with Spags but that is just my humblest of opinions.

I am not that impressed with McDaniels.

Last year he became very predicatble in the playoffs and Super Bowl and he had that all world offense going at the time.

He did not adjust to the Giants D, continually going deep and not bringing Moss underneath, which I think the Giants would not have stopped that easily. He did it on one drive that got NE ahead 14-10.

He might be okay but I feel our D has suffered so much over the last few years and need a much better leader for them

the thing is, whether it's Spags or McDaniels, it's who they hire as DC that will have the biggest impact on our defense. that and our new GM being able to judge defensive talent.

fcspikeit
01-06-2009, 10:50 PM
So true. I wrapped up a project just last year in which I had to interview and hire 120 people. Some of the weaker interviews ended up being some of my best employees. IF Spags did have a bad interview I'm hoping Bowlen's team takes his track record into consideration when they begin to make their final decision. I wouldn't be suprised to see them give a second round of interviews before making their final decision.

I would hope so.. They didn't even give Spags a real interview, it was more of a sit down then anything..

gobroncsnv
01-07-2009, 12:59 AM
Not really that big a deal that Spags or any good candidate doesn't "interview" well, to me (as if that matters). Their resume' is on the field, not at a dinner table. Would rather have a guy who can do it instead of just talk it.

I don't think they can get a decent sit-down with anyone who still has a team active in the playoffs. So if this is delayed a while, I'm ok with it. I hate the waiting game, but will be perfectly understanding if they know who they want, and have an agreement in principle that they just can't announce until the guy's season is over.

PatricktheDookie
01-07-2009, 01:01 AM
I'm still hoping for Morris.

fcspikeit
01-07-2009, 01:50 AM
Not really that big a deal that Spags or any good candidate doesn't "interview" well, to me (as if that matters). Their resume' is on the field, not at a dinner table. Would rather have a guy who can do it instead of just talk it.

I don't think they can get a decent sit-down with anyone who still has a team active in the playoffs. So if this is delayed a while, I'm ok with it. I hate the waiting game, but will be perfectly understanding if they know who they want, and have an agreement in principle that they just can't announce until the guy's season is over.

The only guy they would have to wait on right now is Spags... If it isn't him I expect to hear an an announcement before this season is over...

gobroncsnv
01-07-2009, 07:53 AM
Yeah, quite frankly, if it goes past this week, I would have to guess it's Spag-man. Do we really wait to announce in Feb if the Giants have to defend their title? Wow... Hope the scouts are working overtime, and the film guys are setting up the season review for Mr Whoever... He's gonna need to hit the ground running, cause the draft just ain't that far off.