PDA

View Full Version : Watchmen

Northman
01-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Anyone else excited to see this? Looks fantastic.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Watchmen+trailer&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title#

drewloc
01-05-2009, 08:51 PM
I am stoked for this, it looks amazing!

Zweems56
01-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Cannot wait. Just read the graphic novel. Totally boner if I may say so myself. Can't wait to see Rorschach.

MasterShake
01-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Yes! I still have the original series of novels from the 80's, as well as the softbound complete series reissue from 1994. I heard they changed the ending a bit, but I'm still looking forward to it. I even made a wallpaper for a friends movie blog: http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/4262/watchmenok2.th.jpg (http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=watchmenok2.jpg)

Benetto
02-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Looks like a badass movie...Just like 300 did, and was...

I have been lagging to reserve Imax tickets at Universal city walk....I hope Its not sold out for the release.

MasterShake
02-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Looks like a badass movie...Just like 300 did, and was...

I have been lagging to reserve Imax tickets at Universal city walk....I hope Its not sold out for the release.

I got my IMAX tix reserved two days ago. Now the only pain in the butt will be getting in line early enough so I'm not right next to the screeen!

BroncoAV06
02-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Movie looks sick! But yet again I never get to the movies so I will likely miss this one as well...

MasterShake
02-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Movie looks sick! But yet again I never get to the movies so I will likely miss this one as well...

On March 3rd a really snazzy version of the graphic novel is coming to DVD/Blu Ray. Its a motion comic, and the movie follows the graphic novel pretty closely from what I've read (except for the ending, I think). You might want to check it out if you've never read the novel. Its pretty good. Hell, its REALLY good.

http://www.watchmendvds.com/

And for those familiar with the graphic novel, don't forget the full length "Black Freighter" movie comes out the 24th. I hear the final Blu Ray of Watchmen will be over 3 hours with this cut into it like the novel.

chanesaw
03-05-2009, 09:33 AM
I bought my IMAX tickets last night.

Northman
03-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Il be guying mine tonight.

Zweems56
03-06-2009, 03:51 AM
As probably the first person to see it on the forums, due to east coast locale, let me say.... ******* AWESOME. Amazingly faithful (minus the squid) and Rorschach... still the man.

Northman
03-06-2009, 09:52 AM
As probably the first person to see it on the forums, due to east coast locale, let me say.... ******* AWESOME. Amazingly faithful (minus the squid) and Rorschach... still the man.

Im going saturday night. Rorschach just looks awesome.

Zweems56
03-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Im going saturday night. Rorschach just looks awesome.

Rorschach couldn't be more perfect. You will be pleasantly surprised if Rorschach is one of your favorite "heroes" of all time.

Northman
03-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Rorschach couldn't be more perfect. You will be pleasantly surprised if Rorschach is one of your favorite "heroes" of all time.

Ironically ive never read or even heard of the Watchmen before now. Even when the first trailer came out i was excited but not quite as excited until i saw the 2nd trailer (the one with the song from Muse in it). I downloaded it and burned it to a DVD-R. Just something about the way they did that particular trailer sold me on this movie bigtime. And with Rorschach being one of the main focuses he just sounds like a no nonsense kind of character. I like that. :D

Zweems56
03-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Ironically ive never read or even heard of the Watchmen before now. Even when the first trailer came out i was excited but not quite as excited until i saw the 2nd trailer (the one with the song from Muse in it). I downloaded it and burned it to a DVD-R. Just something about the way they did that particular trailer sold me on this movie bigtime. And with Rorschach being one of the main focuses he just sounds like a no nonsense kind of character. I like that. :D

Don't go in expecting it to be action packed. Its EXTREMELY faithful to the graphic novel. Its very storyline/plot driven and gives you tons of background on characters.

MasterShake
03-06-2009, 12:01 PM

Both those trailers were great (the Smashing Pumpkins teaser and the Muse one), and thats pretty impressive that they lured you in without ever reading the graphic novel.

I first read it in 1989 (right after the Batman movie came out because Alan Moore did the 'Killing Joke') and it was the best thing I had read at that point. I was only 11, and my mind was blown. I re-read it at least once every couple of years and still find little nuances. I'm sure the movie will be fine, but I must remember that its an adaptation and not to expect the same level of detail. Not much longer now!

BigDaddyBronco
03-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Both those trailers were great (the Smashing Pumpkins teaser and the Muse one), and thats pretty impressive that they lured you in without ever reading the graphic novel.

I first read it in 1989 (right after the Batman movie came out because Alan Moore did the 'Killing Joke') and it was the best thing I had read at that point. I was only 11, and my mind was blown. I re-read it at least once every couple of years and still find little nuances. I'm sure the movie will be fine, but I must remember that its an adaptation and not to expect the same level of detail. Not much longer now!

I haven't read the graphic novel either and I'm stoked. I like graphic novels, just don't get a chance to read them much.

But I really like the movies that have been done off graphic novels like 300, Sin City, etc. I'm seeing Watchmen tomorrow.

Northman
03-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Don't go in expecting it to be action packed. Its EXTREMELY faithful to the graphic novel. Its very storyline/plot driven and gives you tons of background on characters.

Im fine with that because the one angle that i like about this compared to the Spiderman's and Batman's is that it seems to show a more human side to the heroes and a much more down to earth reaction from the citizens rather than "oh spidey! i love you" type of ordeal. In that 2nd trailer when Rorschach says "They will cry please save us and i will whisper..... NO" is just classic to me.

Northman
03-06-2009, 12:06 PM
I haven't read the graphic novel either and I'm stoked. I like graphic novels, just don't get a chance to read them much.

But I really like the movies that have been done off graphic novels like 300, Sin City, etc. I'm seeing Watchmen tomorrow.

Indeed, 300 and Sin City were great. Even The Crow is still one of my favorites to this day.

Zweems56
03-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Im fine with that because the one angle that i like about this compared to the Spiderman's and Batman's is that it seems to show a more human side to the heroes and a much more down to earth reaction from the citizens rather than "oh spidey! i love you" type of ordeal. In that 2nd trailer when Rorschach says "They will cry please save us and i will whisper..... NO" is just classic to me.

A.) You'll love it
B.) The quote is much longer, and its first page material from the graphic novel. Great quote. They actually do it word for word in the movie. I was very HAPPILY surprised at how true they stayed, even in dialogue.

underrated29
03-06-2009, 03:25 PM
I have never heard of it before, and i cant see the link. Whats it about?

Obviously it sounds like one of the comic book movies- batman, spiderman, superman- but thats about all i can deduce.

MasterShake
03-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Indeed, 300 and Sin City were great. Even The Crow is still one of my favorites to this day.

Watchmen was called by Alan Moore "unfilmable", but so far the reviews have been good. Ebert loved it, so I'm pretty stoked!

One of the better graphic novel conversions in recent memory was V for Vendetta. That was a great book, and they really caught the essence of it even though it was condensed.

MasterShake
03-06-2009, 03:35 PM
I have never heard of it before, and i cant see the link. Whats it about?

Obviously it sounds like one of the comic book movies- batman, spiderman, superman- but thats about all i can deduce.

Its a movie set in an alternate 1985 were Nixon is still president and the "costumed superheroes" have been outlawed. When one of them gets killed, they come back together to find out who's after them. From there it peels back like an onion, layer by layer.

Heres a pretty good chapter by chapter summary for those who haven't read it:
http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com./watchmen-comic-plot-summary.php

Thnikkaman
03-06-2009, 04:47 PM
I read it, and it makes me excited to both read the series and see the movie.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Worst movie I've EVER seen in a theater...EVER. People actually left half way thru and a bunch of kids spent half the movie PMing. My wife kept falling asleep.

Some of the action/fights were cool and the ending was solid...but only after 2.5 hours of my life were wasted.

MasterShake
03-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Worst movie I've EVER seen in a theater...EVER. People actually left half way thru and a bunch of kids spent half the movie PMing. My wife kept falling asleep.

Some of the action/fights were cool and the ending was solid...but only after 2.5 hours of my life were wasted.

Went with 4 friends last night. 2 of us loved it, one HATED it, and I liked it just fine. I'd give it an 8/10.

Northman
03-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Went with 4 friends last night. 2 of us loved it, one HATED it, and I liked it just fine. I'd give it an 8/10.

Now, thats more like it. :D

MasterShake
03-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Now, thats more like it. :D

Its a polarizing movie, like Clockwork Orange or Blade Runner. Its really mood dependent. Even my friend who hated it had mostly good things to say about it, and even wants to see it again because he can't stop thinking about it. What a weirdo!

Northman
03-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Its a polarizing movie, like Clockwork Orange or Blade Runner. Its really mood dependent. Even my friend who hated it had mostly good things to say about it, and even wants to see it again because he can't stop thinking about it. What a weirdo!

I understand your friend as that is how i have been with that damn trailer. But i love Clockwork and Blade Runner so i think i will be pretty happy with this overall.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-07-2009, 01:39 PM

I could agree with that, but still think the acting and some of the writing was so bad that it hurt the overall message it was trying to send.

chanesaw
03-08-2009, 09:59 AM
It was awful. 2/10.

I was excited to see it, but now I just want my 3 hours back. It had potential to be great, but they screwed it up. I actually hated it. It only gets the two points for some brief but killer visual effects. Plus there was way too many guy's butts and blue dicks. It almost had a homoerotic vibe.

Northman
03-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Careful Chan, your stepping on my dreams.....j/k

Ok, so yea. I can see both sides to the arguement here. There is a lot of moments in here that kind of chug along without any real excitement but like my wife said it all was necessary because there was a lot of back story. I think Smilin said it yesterday that they probably should of tried to make this into 2-3 movies instead of just one. But because it was just one it was important to do it this way.

And of course Shake was right in that it has a similiar vibe to Blade Runner and Clockwork Orange. Its a very cerebral type of movie which requires the viewer to pay attention and understand that this isnt the run of the mill comic book movie. It goes far deeper into the psyche of each and every one of the characters. But the fight scenes were excellent and visual effects were top notch so overall i was very pleased.

However, the ending pissed me off as my boy didnt make it through but in a way i was expecting it because i had read something to the effect of Rorschach biting it. And it was even true to the word as too why it happened which bothers me but at the same time i truly respect Rorschach's view. From what i understand Rorschach never saw anything in grey, it was either black or white/good or evil. So its understandable how he would react in the end. A true hero to the very end.

As for the dongs and all that, yea could of had less than that but from what ive read as Manhatten got further and further away from humanity his need or want for hiding himself just disappeared so they stayed true to the spirit of the book. Personally i never went looking for his schlong so it didnt bother me that much like the rest of you faggets. lol jk.

All in all a very good film but it is one of those that you have to be in the mood to sit down for. Even Silk's character had more meaning than i thought it would initially so it all came together nicely. Probably wont make my top 5 of all time but i did really enjoy it and i still like the character of Rorschach more than any other super hero. The food line scene and the scene in the apt. with the cops were excellent.

Zweems56
03-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Yeah, some of the people who knocked it, I dont think were looking for a plot and character driven storyline. I can tell you right now my brotherwants to see it but he won't enjoy it, because if its more than 1 1/2 - 2 hours long and people aren't dying 75% of the film, he can't be bothered.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-08-2009, 02:41 PM
I personally don't have any issues w/ "wordy" films. I liked the Assassination of Jesse James and there was no action in that. And I actually prefer a solid story to mindless carnage. If I want to not have to think...I watch comedies. Watchmen just didn't do it for me.

MasterShake
03-08-2009, 03:01 PM
People really seem to focus on Dr. Manhattans blue junk. I was like, "Oh, ok" the first time than maintained eye contact the rest of the movie. :lol:

SmilinAssasSin27
03-08-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm not fixated or anything...but it was there an awful lot.

Devilspawn
03-08-2009, 04:06 PM
A friend of mine read The Watchmen and as soon as he heard it was a movie, he hoped it would be a trilogy because of how long it would take to get the full effect of the comic while developing characters. When he heard the buzz that the whole tale was told through the one flick, he had a feeling it would appeal to some but not most. Mind you, he's a comic book artist and develops story boards, draws and inks for comics as well as develops characters. We're going to see it tomorrow, but I already have a feeling that I'm going to like it because I didn't read the comic, nor do I expect anything.

Northman
03-08-2009, 08:54 PM
but I already have a feeling that I'm going to like it because I didn't read the comic, nor do I expect anything.

I think that is why i liked it in my case. It forced me to actually pay attention and find out why and who the characters are and why they are who they are. I think if your someone who was familiar with the comic that you might go in with a hesitation to begin with. It certainly is entertaining to some and not to others. All fair responses in my opinion.

MasterShake
03-08-2009, 09:29 PM
I think that is why i liked it in my case. It forced me to actually pay attention and find out why and who the characters are and why they are who they are. I think if your someone who was familiar with the comic that you might go in with a hesitation to begin with. It certainly is entertaining to some and not to others. All fair responses in my opinion.

I think the only reason I enjoyed it because I looked at it as an "adaptation" of the book, not a literal translation. Sometimes I was like, "Damn, I wish (a or b) scene was in the movie", but then I remember that a longer version is coming to bluray soon. How much they were able to fit into almost 3 was pretty good though, and reading the book helped the ending have a stronger impact on me. One example is (SPOILER ALERT) explosion in downtown NY when the Newstand guy and the kid hug before they evaporate. In the book a whole subplot revolves around them.

Some things like the Comedian character were ten times better in the film, however. In the comic, he was just a jerk, the movie made him seem more like Mickey Rourke in "The Wrestler". If you can't read the book, I highly recommend the motion comic. I watched all 5 hours of it over 3 days, and its the ultimate experience if you really want to feel the weight of the characters and storylines. I still say the Dr. Manhattan on Mars and Rorshach and the Psychiatrist are some of the best writing (graphic novel or novel) ever.

sneakers
03-09-2009, 01:25 AM
It was awful. 2/10.

I was excited to see it, but now I just want my 3 hours back. It had potential to be great, but they screwed it up. I actually hated it. It only gets the two points for some brief but killer visual effects. Plus there was way too many guy's butts and blue dicks. It almost had a homoerotic vibe.

Never see the movie "Boewolf", that has to be the most homoerotic computer generated movie ever!

There is a whole 5 minute fighting sequence with the main character fighting a dragon completely naked swinging around all over the place.

sneakers
03-09-2009, 01:26 AM
People really seem to focus on Dr. Manhattans blue junk. I was like, "Oh, ok" the first time than maintained eye contact the rest of the movie. :lol:

I will hold up my hand in front of my face to shield myself if I ever see it.

http://benamormoviehouse.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/drmanhattan.jpg

Zweems56
03-09-2009, 06:49 AM
Ftr, as illustrated by Sneakers pic, Manhattan's dong was much larger in the movie. I was totally disappointed in how they strayed from Gibbons' art.

EastCoastBronco
03-12-2009, 06:53 AM
I saw it last night with a buddy of mine. Loved it. I had never read the comic so I had no freaking idea what I was in for. I'm the type of movie goer that doesn't buy into pre-release hype and early reviews. I go to the theatre, let the movie experience take place and then pass judgement. This flick has a lot of things going for it as far as I'm concerned:
1) Character Development: What a lot of ADD movie fans nowadays call slow parts. This movie did a great job on the backgrounds of the main characters and overall story. It took the time it needed and it paid off in the end.
2) Story: I've never seen anything quite like it so it ws a welcome surprise. A lot of moviegoers out there are easily lost when a film veers off the unbeaten path and as a result start throwing tomatoes. All part of that instant gratifiction/not leaving my comfort zone thing. This flick is definitely outside the box.
3) Violence: If you are the least bit squeamish, stay the hell away from this flick...;-) If you thought 300 was violent, Watchmen makes it look like the Teletubbies.
4) Visuals: In a word...Amazing.

Overall, I have to say this is one of the more original, thought provoking movies I have seen in years. I really enjoyed the experience and I plan on seeing it again in the theatre.

Thnikkaman
03-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Man, I really hope I get a chance to go see this while its in the theater.

Devilspawn
03-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Ok I saw it twice yesterday. The reason was because I actually fell asleep the first time. I saw two other films yesterday (I Love You Man & Duplicity) and didn't fall asleep on them. When I first saw Watchmen, I was so bored. But I thought that maybe it was because I was going on 5 hours sleep and it followed two awesome previews for Terminator and Star Trek. Something told me I should give it another chance. While it was better the second time around, it was still a below average flick. Out of 10, I gave it a 3.

- Even though it was in an alternate 1980, the score of the film didn't make it feel that way.
- Forget cowbell, we need more penis and ass shots. For those of you who have ever watched those late night skin flicks on Cinemax, those movies have less nudity and sex than this film. Highly unnessesary.
- I was waiting for a sticky money shot in the sex scenes.
- Everytime I saw Nite Owl's hairstyle, I thought Andy Kaufman.
- The actor who played Rorschach was much better without the mask.
- According to a friend of mine, Rorschach's mask was done totally wrong and didn't morph to fit his moods
- Mars shots - awesome / Dr. Manhattan reminded me of Martian Manhunter, which I think was the inspiration when he was created in the comic.

This movie isn't so bad where I won't watch it again a third time to give it a shot. But it ranks as one of the worst superhero movies in the last 10 years. I'm pissed because the only thing that was done incredibly well, which was making me feel for the characters and their story, was completely wasted by everything outside of it.

2/10 changed to 3/10 the second time.

MasterShake
03-21-2009, 02:23 PM
- According to a friend of mine, Rorschach's mask was done totally wrong and didn't morph to fit his moods
- Mars shots - awesome / Dr. Manhattan reminded me of Martian Manhunter, which I think was the inspiration when he was created in the comic.

Good review, just a couple points in response:

-Rorschah's mask changed constantly in the graphic novel. Not sure if it was meant to "morph" but it was different in each panel.

-Originally, Alan Moore wanted to use existing DC characters which is why they remind the viewer/reader of existing characters. Manhattan would have been Superman, Rorschach would have been Batman, and I forget the others.

DenverBronkHoes
04-17-2009, 12:31 AM
god i thought it would never end...

story was ok.. just oo long.. the custume work was terrible... those costumes looked so cheezy

shank
04-17-2009, 12:48 AM
can't believe i missed this thread. i hated this POS movie.

Thnikkaman
04-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Just finished reading the graphic novel. I was very impressed how close the costumes in the movie were to the comic book. And Master Shake, I would agree with you that the ending of the movie was a bit better then the comic book. I don't like the person they cast for Ozymandias but other than that I was impressed that all the key dialogue was there. I would have loved to see some of the things in the comic book depicted the same way in the movie (Rorschach's capture of the pedophile, the rooftop rescue, the assassination attempt on Ozymandias). They made up for this with the perfect casting for Nite Owl and Rorchach.

I would definitely go see this again in the theater. This is quite possibly the best comic book adaption to a movie, and I will probably be watching the direct to DVD release of the subplot that was completely missing from the movie.

Thnikkaman
04-17-2009, 10:52 AM
-Rorschah's mask changed constantly in the graphic novel. Not sure if it was meant to "morph" but it was different in each panel.

Having the novel fresh in my mind, the material Rochach's face was made of was created to constantly morph. I wish they would have included the origin of the face in the movie.

Thnikkaman
04-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Last post for now regarding the characters each was based on, ripped from wikipedia:

The Comedian (Edward Morgan Blake)

The Comedian is Edward Morgan Blake, who began his vigilante career in the 1940s as a teenager. Over the years, he became a patriotic hero for the United States. The Comedian was based on the Charlton Comics character Peacemaker, with elements of the Marvel Comics spy character Nick Fury added. Moore and Gibbons saw The Comedian as "a kind of Gordon Liddy character, only a much bigger, tougher guy"

Doctor Manhattan was based upon Charlton's Captain Atom, who in Moore's original proposal was surrounded by the shadow of nuclear threat. However, the writer found he could do more with Manhattan as a "kind of a quantum super-hero" than he ever could have with Captain Atom.[2] Moore sought to delve into nuclear physics and quantum physics in constructing the character of Dr. Manhattan. The writer believed that a character living in a quantum universe would not perceive time with a linear perspective, which would influence the character's perception of human affairs. Moore also wanted to avoid creating an emotionless character like Spock from Star Trek, so he sought for Dr. Manhattan to retain "human habits" and to grow away from them and humanity in general.[1] Gibbons had created the blue character Rogue Trooper, and explained he reused the blue skin motif for Doctor Manhattan as it resembles skin tonally, but has a different hue. Moore incorporated the color into the story, and Gibbons noted the rest of the comic's color scheme made Manhattan unique.[5] Moore recalled that he was unsure if DC would allow the creators to depict the character as fully nude, which partially influenced how they portrayed the character.[6] Gibbons wanted to tastefully depict Manhattan's nudity, selecting carefully when full frontal shots would occur and giving him "understated" genitals — like a classical sculpture — so the reader would not initially notice it.

Nite Owl was based on the Ted Kord version of the Charlton superhero Blue Beetle. Just as Ted Kord had a predecessor, Moore also incorporated an earlier adventurer who used the name "Nite Owl", the retired crime fighter Hollis Mason, into Watchmen.[2] While Moore devised character notes for Gibbons to work from, the artist provided a name and a costume design for Hollis Mason he had created when he was twelve.[7] Richard Reynolds noted in Super Heroes: A Modern Mythology that despite the character's Charlton roots, Nite Owl's modus operandi has more in common with the DC Comics character Batman.[11] According to Geoff Klock, his civilian form "visually suggests an impotent, middle-aged Clark Kent."

Ozymandias was directly based on Peter Cannon, Thunderbolt, whom Moore had admired for using his full brain capacity as well as possessing full physical and mental control.

Moore based Rorschach on the Steve Ditko creation Mr. A. Moore said he was trying to "come up with this quintessential Steve Ditko character — someone who's got a funny name, whose surname begins with a 'K,' who's got an oddly designed mask".[16] As a result, Rorschach's real name is given as Walter Kovacs. Ditko's Charlton character The Question also served as a template for creating Rorschach.[2] Comics historian Bradford W. Wright described the character's world view as "a set of black-and-white values that take many shapes but never mix into shades of gray, similar to the ink blot tests of his namesake". Rorschach sees existence as random and, according to Wright, this viewpoint leaves the character "free to 'scrawl [his] own design' on a 'morally blank world'".[17] Moore said he did not foresee the death of Rorschach until the fourth issue when he realized that his refusal to compromise would result in him not surviving the story.

Silk Spectre is not based on any pre-existing character.