PDA

View Full Version : BroncosForums NFL All-Pro Team

studbucket
01-05-2009, 01:22 PM
UPDATE: ROUND 1 VOTING IS NOW OVER. If you voted in round 1, you can begin polling for round 2.
--------
Something I have done the last few years is make an NFL All-Pro team with my friends, and I though that it could be fun to have a BroncosForums one.

Here is how it will work

Round 1: Select a player at each position and send me a private message (http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=318) with all of that info entitled 'All-Pro Round 1'. I will combine all of the votes, and any player receiving 70% or more of the votes is automatically included.

Round 2: With the positions that are not yet determined, I will show each of the candidates who received more than 30% of the vote at that position and we will have some debate on that. Once you know who you want for those positions, send me a private message (http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=318) with your chosen players entitled 'All-Pro Round 2'. Any player who receives 70% of the vote will make the team.

Round 3: If for some reason it hasn't been decided yet, I will narrow it down to the top 2 (or 3) players and do the same thing as above.

Round 4: If that still doesn't decide it, I will choose the player at the position.

Here are the positions (and a nice little template you can copy and paste):
----
QB:
RB:
RB:
WR:
WR:
TE:
T:
T:
G:
G:
C:

DE:
DE:
DT:
DT:
ILB:
ILB:
OLB:
OLB:
CB:
CB:
FS:
SS:

K:
P:
KR:
PR:
----

I am sorry for not including the fullback position, but not enough teams use a fullback to warrant the inclusion of that position on the squad.

If you need some help thinking of All-Pros, a google search returns some results ( http://www.google.com/search?q=2008+NFL+All-Pro&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a ), the NationalFootballPost has a team ( http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2008/12/the-players-all-pro-team/ ), there are the Pro Bowl Rosters ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NFL_Pro_Bowl ), and on Wednesday Peter King will release his All-Pro team.

Any questions, comments, or discussion?

studbucket
01-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Because I didn't mention it, this is an All-Pro team for the 2008 season, not an all-time team NFL team or all-time Broncos team.

I've still got to nail down my 2nd guard, my center, my 2nd DE, and my 2nd ILB, but I'm almost there.

studbucket
01-07-2009, 12:08 PM
So here's Peter King's All-Pro team if you guys need some inspiration: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/01/06/all-pro-team/index.html?eref=T1

I've gotten 3 'High 5's for this post, but no responses or PMs. Is this something nobody wants to do? Are you busy trying to make your team? Have you forgotten or will it take too much time?

studbucket
01-07-2009, 02:38 PM
OK, so I've got some private support for this idea (although I am still the only one posting in my own thread ;) ) and we're going forward with it.

I am going to set a deadline of Monday to get the first round picks in, and I hope to have 10-15 ballots in by then, that would be fantastic!

Also, do not include any of these guys on your ballot: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/01/07/all-disappointment-team/index.html?eref=T1

studbucket
01-08-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm bumping this every day, because there's not much better than bumping your own post.

We have 3 ballots in, I want 7-12 more, let's go guys!

UnderArmour
01-09-2009, 01:10 AM
Maybe it would've gotten more attention in Broncos Talk?

studbucket
01-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Maybe it would've gotten more attention in Broncos Talk?

You are probably right, but I guess it was NFL, not Broncos, related. A mod can remedy this for me if they feel it's worth it.

studbucket
01-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Alright, here's your afternoon reminder to get your All-Pro selections PM'd to me.

I've got 5 ballots, and the deadline is Monday.

If you still can't think of any players, here is the AP All-Pro team MoBronc posted: http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30964

studbucket
01-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Here's your Saturday afternoon reminder.

I'd love to have more ballots!

studbucket
01-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Here is your final reminder to get your All-Pro ballot in. If I don't have a PM when I get to work tomorrow morning, it's too late. I'll tally up the results and we'll begin round 2 tomorrow afternoon.

studbucket
01-12-2009, 10:47 AM
The Following players have made the All-Pro ballot after round 1. Since there were 6 voters, I made the criteria to get in 4 votes (which is almost 70%).

The Voters
studbucket
CoachChaz
UnderArmour
MissouriBronc
drewloc
Jrwiz

Key
* = Unanimous first-round selection
+ = Non-unanimous first-round selection

QB: Drew Brees+
RB: Michael Turner*
RB: Adrian Peterson+
WR: Andre Johnson+
WR:
TE: Tony Gonzalez*
T: Ryan Clady*
T:
G: Steve Hutchinson+
G:
C: Kevin Mawae+

DE: Julius Peppers+
DE:
DT: Albert Haynesworth*
DT: Kevin Williams+
ILB: Jon Beason+
ILB: Patrick Willis+
OLB: James Harrison+
OLB:
CB: Nnamdi Asomugha+
CB:
FS: Ed Reed*
SS: Troy Polamalu+

K:
P: Shane Lechler+
KR:
PR:

studbucket
01-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Out of the positions that are already determined, here are the honorable mentions, and if they received more than 1 vote, that number is in parentheses.

Honorable Mentions, Round 1

QB: Peyton Manning (2), Jay Cutler
RB: DeAngelo Williams (2)
TE: No other player received a vote
DT: Kris Jenkins, Shaun Rogers, Hloti Ngata
ILB: Ray Lewis (2), Barrett Ruud
FS: No other player received a vote
SS: Yeremiah Bell
P: Mike Scifres, Brad Maynard

studbucket
01-12-2009, 10:58 AM
I will be sending a PM to all of the voters as well as posting this here. This is the beginning of round 2. Feel free to discuss who you think should make it, if you think a candidate is not deserving, or anything else pertaining to this. You can join the discussion even if you didn't vote, but voting is reserved for those who did so in round 1.

Number of votes received in round 1 are in parentheses.

WR - Larry Fitzgerald (3), Brandon Marshall (2), Calvin Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Wes Welker
T - Michael Roos (3), Joe Thomas (2), Jeff Otah
G - Alan Faneca (3), Chris Snee (2), Harvey Dahl, Leonard Davis, Logan Mankins

DE - John Abraham (3), Jared Allen (2), Mario Williams (2), Justin Tuck (2)
OLB - Demarcus Ware (3), Joey Porter (3), Terrell Suggs
CB - Cortland Finnegan (2), Corey Webster, Darrelle Revis, Antoine Winfield, Chris Gamble, Champ Bailey

K - Stephen Gostkowski (2), Jason Elam (2), John Carney, Nate Kaeding
KR - Leodis McKelvin (2), Darren Sproles (2), Allen Rossum, Leon Washington
PR - Johnnie Lee Higgins (2), Darren Sproles (2), Jacoby Jones, Clifton Smith

studbucket
01-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Here are my thoughts on some of the positions, this is not my vote!

WR - I think Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, or Wes Welker should get the nod.
T - I like Roos the best here
G - NOT FANECA. Snee or Dahl is the right call here IMO.

DE - Abraham is my choice here, but the others are worthy.
OLB - 3 good candidates..
CB - Finnegan was good, but a little over-rated and inconsistent to me. I like Webster, Revis, or Winfield out of this group.

I don't feel real strongly about the special teams, but I'd probably lean toward Gostkowski, McKelvin, and Higgins.

Any thoughts or debate by you guys?

UnderArmour
01-12-2009, 03:58 PM
WR - Larry Fitzgerald (3), Brandon Marshall (2), Calvin Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Wes Welker
Larry Fitzgerald is an easy choice here, but Wes Welker and Anquan Boldin have compelling arguments.

T - Michael Roos (3), Joe Thomas (2), Jeff Otah
The best right tackle of the bunch is Jeff Otah, a mauler in run support. But, Roos should deservedly get the nod.

G - Alan Faneca (3), Chris Snee (2), Harvey Dahl, Leonard Davis, Logan Mankins
I felt like Leonard Davis had the best season of the bunch. What the Cowboys were able to do in the run game with Tashard Choice is a result of the effective run blocking by Leonard Davis.

DE - John Abraham (3), Jared Allen (2), Mario Williams (2), Justin Tuck (2)
This one is tough. John Abraham dominated games but Mario Williams deserves it too. I'd give John Abraham the nod, their defense is nothing without him.

OLB - Demarcus Ware (3), Joey Porter (3), Terrell Suggs

No question whatsoever. DeMarcus Ware is by far the best of this bunch. 20 sacks in one season, that's amazing, and Ware isn't just a one trick pony.

CB - Cortland Finnegan (2), Corey Webster, Darrelle Revis, Antoine Winfield, Chris Gamble, Champ Bailey
Darrelle Revis is playmaker of this group. Champ sat out almost half the season so it's not fair to give him the nod. It's Revis.

K - Stephen Gostkowski (2), Jason Elam (2), John Carney, Nate Kaeding
No preference here, but I liked Jason Elam's clutch ability.

KR - Leodis McKelvin (2), Darren Sproles (2), Allen Rossum, Leon Washington
Leon Washington impressed me more than Darren Sproles this season, but that's just me. McKelvin did a great job in Buffalo. Toss up.
PR - Johnnie Lee Higgins (2), Darren Sproles (2), Jacoby Jones, Clifton Smith
I didn't even know Sproles returned punts.

studbucket
01-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Here are the round 2 selections:
WR - Larry Fitzgerald
T - Michael Roos
OLB - Demarcus Ware
PR - Johnnie Lee Higgins

Making this the current All-Pro Team:
QB: Drew Brees+
RB: Michael Turner*
RB: Adrian Peterson+
WR: Andre Johnson+
WR: Larry Fitzgerald
TE: Tony Gonzalez*
T: Ryan Clady*
T: Michael Roos
G: Steve Hutchinson+
G:
C: Kevin Mawae+

DE: Julius Peppers+
DE:
DT: Albert Haynesworth*
DT: Kevin Williams+
ILB: Jon Beason+
ILB: Patrick Willis+
OLB: James Harrison+
OLB: Demarcus Ware
CB: Nnamdi Asomugha+
CB:
FS: Ed Reed*
SS: Troy Polamalu+

K:
P: Shane Lechler+
KR:
PR: Johnnie Lee Higgins

And These the Honorable Mentions:
QB: Peyton Manning, Jay Cutler
RB: DeAngelo Williams
WR: Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Wes Welker
TE: No other player received a vote
T: Joe Thomas, Jeff Otah
G: Chris Snee, Harvey Dahl, Logan Mankins
C: No other player received a vote

DE: Justin Tuck
DT: Kris Jenkins, Shaun Rogers, Hloti Ngata
ILB: Ray Lewis, Barrett Ruud
OLB: Joey Porter, Terrell Suggs
CB: Antoine Winfield, Chris Gamble, Champ Bailey
FS: No other player received a vote
SS: Yeremiah Bell

K: John Carney, Nate Kaeding
P: Mike Scifres, Brad Maynard
KR: Allen Rossum, Leon Washington
PR: Darren Sproles, Jacoby Jones, Clifton Smith

For Round 3, These positions needed to be determined:
G - Alan Faneca, Leonard Davis
DE - John Abraham, Jared Allen, Mario Williams
CB - Cortland Finnegan, Corey Webster, Darrelle Revis
K - Stephen Gostkowski, Jason Elam
KR - Leodis McKelvin, Darren Sproles

studbucket
01-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Now that we are at a small standstill at some positions, we need some people to change their minds and we need people to argue for 2-3 different positions. Here are my two arguments:

Guard should not be Alan Faneca. I mean this guy was on the All-Disappointment team and is just getting votes based on his name IMO. Check this link. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/01/07/all-disappointment-team/index.html
Cornerback: While Finnegan is a solid player, he was inconsistent and somewhat over-rated this year in my book. I felt Webster and then Revis were both better, and I coincidentally found a really nice article ranking all the CBs in the league, check it out: http://www.operationsports.com/forums/pro-football/289299-top-50-cbs-nfl.html

Let me hear yours!

CoachChaz
01-20-2009, 09:26 AM
For Round 3, These positions needed to be determined:[/U]

Faneca was a flop and Davis was too. I'm forced to watch every Cowboys game and as well as he played in 07...he went south in 08. Way too many holding penalties. I was not impressed. We need a new option at guard

I'll take Allen at DE. He had a better year than Williams and he isnt one dimensional like Abraham.

Revis gets my vote at CB. He had a good season despite the shortcomings of the front 7.

Gotkowski just put up too good of numbers to ignore him.

I could go either way with the KR's

MOtorboat
01-20-2009, 09:28 AM
McKelvin made more of an impact in season than Sproles, imo.

Lonestar
01-20-2009, 12:55 PM
While I have not watched every game of all teams. the ones I have ans seen these players in I vote for the following.. as they were great in those games and caused huge issues for the other team..

Candidates
G - Alan Faneca
DE - Mario Williams
CB - Corey Webster
K - NO comment
KR - Darren Sproles through out the playoffs he gave SAN great field position..

drewloc
01-20-2009, 12:56 PM
For Round 3, These positions needed to be determined:

Guard is a tossup, I'm in agreement that we may need some more options unless someone has a very good point.

For DE, you can't go wrong with any of these. As mentioned though, Allen had some great lineman playing with him. Abraham is a bit one dimensional, and Williams wasn't in the playoffs. For my money though I go with Williams. To me, he is the better all around player, both with rushing the passer, and stopping the run.

CB is a bit murky, but Revis gets my nod here, he was a gamechanger on his side of the field, and made a few game changing plays. Finnegan was on an amazing defense, so it's hard to say, but he was a bit sporadic for my tastes. Webster is closest to Revis, but I don't believe that he had as much of an impact as he should have with his defense.

K is something that is very interesting. Both have been steady all year, and both are extremely consistant. That being said though, I think Elam screams clutch kicker, so he gets my nod.

For KR I go with McKelvin, he was a dangerous return man all year, and put up some great numbers. I liked Sproles as well, and would probably pick him if it were an all around choice, but on just returns alone, my pick is McKelvin.
:salute:

studbucket
01-20-2009, 01:10 PM
So, you guys wanna toss Faneca and Davis? They got 5/6 votes, so I thought they were the favorites.

I have no problem (and I want to) bring Snee, Dahl, and Mankins back into the discussion. Do we want to evict Faneca and Davis and replace them with those three?

Lonestar
01-20-2009, 01:19 PM
So, you guys wanna toss Faneca and Davis? They got 5/6 votes, so I thought they were the favorites.

I have no problem (and I want to) bring Snee, Dahl, and Mankins back into the discussion. Do we want to evict Faneca and Davis and replace them with those three?

if they got 5 of 6 votes they clearly are better than the rest I stay with faneca..

studbucket
01-20-2009, 01:31 PM
if they got 5 of 6 votes they clearly are better than the rest I stay with faneca..

Well, I disagree they are better, and at least 3 people have expressed interest in having other people there. I was the one vote for someone else, and those two frankly were at the bottom of my list.

CoachChaz
01-20-2009, 01:40 PM
I'll nominate and vote for Snee.

studbucket
01-20-2009, 01:48 PM
I'll nominate and vote for Snee.

I would second that nomination.

If two more choose Snee over the other guys, he's in.