View Full Version : Broncos' Williams needs surgery on injured shoulder

MOtorboat
01-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Didn't see this anywhere else:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11369169

Broncos' Williams needs surgery on injured shoulder
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/05/2009 12:30:00 AM MST

Everybody knew D.J. Williams was hurt while trying to play in the final two games of the season.

Few knew the extent of his pain.

Williams, the Broncos' weakside linebacker, is facing offseason surgery — on his shoulder, not his knee.

The Broncos had signed Williams to a five-year, $32 million contract extension that included a guaranteed $13 million on the eve of the 2008 season opener. Williams was quickly justifying his new deal as he was the NFL tackles leader through seven games.

However, Williams suffered a partially torn medial collateral ligament in his left knee late in the Broncos' eighth game against Miami. He missed the next six games and wasn't the same player as the Broncos lost to Buffalo 30-23 and San Diego 52-21. In the last two weeks, Williams was listed on the injury report with knee and shoulder injuries.

Will money matter?

Because the Broncos could be paying $7 million to fired coach Mike Shanahan for the 2009 season, there is speculation salary requirements could be a factor for owner Pat Bowlen as he seeks a new head coach.

Yet, two of the NFL's highest-paid assistants — New York Giants' defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo ($2 million a year) and Dallas offensive coordinator Jason Garrett ($3 million) — are on Bowlen's shortlist.

Bet on Garrett, 42, interviewing well Tuesday. He was offered the head coaching jobs last year by the Baltimore Ravens and Atlanta Falcons but turned them down to return to Dallas and become the NFL's highest-paid assistant.

Fassel to interview with Rams.

Former Broncos quarterbacks coach Jim Fassel will interview Thursday for the St. Louis Rams' head coaching job. Fassel, who led the New York Giants to the 2000 Super Bowl, finished second to Mike Shanahan for the Broncos' head coaching job in 1995 and to Jim Zorn last year for the Washington Redskins' job.

Fassel coached Broncos quarterbacks in 1993, when John Elway had his only 4,000-yard passing season.

McCaffrey legacy continues.

Heads up, football. Here comes another McCaffrey. Christian McCaffrey, son of former Broncos receiver Ed McCaffrey, had a huge performance in a national seventh-grade all-star game this weekend at the Alamo Dome in San Antonio.

Playing for the victorious West team in the Football University Youth All America Bowl, which showcased the nation's top 40 seventh-graders, McCaffrey rushed for 82 yards and a touchdown on just seven carries.

broncofaninfla
01-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Woodyard should have stayed the starter

LRtagger
01-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Yea why the hell was DJ playing if he was hurt? WW wasnt playing poorly, so I see no reason for it.

On another note, I had no idea they had an all-american game for 7th graders haha.

GEM
01-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Yea why the hell was DJ playing if he was hurt? WW wasnt playing poorly, so I see no reason for it.

On another note, I had no idea they had an all-american game for 7th graders haha.

I watched the high school all american game and they had McCaffrey's son on during one of the breaks with a small group of the kids. The high school game was pretty good. The kid who played RB for the East was pretty damn good. :D The sad thing is those coaches had 7 days to bring together all of the kids from across the country. They said that most of the noteworthy kids for OL were Tackles so they brought in a few of them and had to move them over to C. They had one kid who hadn't played defense in quite awhile and he played where they had room for him...he intercepted the ball and ran it in for a td, his stats at the end of the game were really good. Now the sad part is the coaches are from all different parts of the country. They came together, brought the kids together and played very, very well. Our Broncos played together for quite awhile and played very, very bad. :tsk: I guess the hunger is just more intense for these young kids. It was pretty cool watching the kids declare for college teams during the game.

I can't wait for next season. Going to be Pomona Panther Black and Red. High school ball....I'm salivating. :laugh: Should be fun.

LRtagger
01-05-2009, 01:38 PM
I watched the high school all american game and they had McCaffrey's son on during one of the breaks with a small group of the kids. The high school game was pretty good. The kid who played RB for the East was pretty damn good. :D The sad thing is those coaches had 7 days to bring together all of the kids from across the country. They said that most of the noteworthy kids for OL were Tackles so they brought in a few of them and had to move them over to C. They had one kid who hadn't played defense in quite awhile and he played where they had room for him...he intercepted the ball and ran it in for a td, his stats at the end of the game were really good. Now the sad part is the coaches are from all different parts of the country. They came together, brought the kids together and played very, very well. Our Broncos played together for quite awhile and played very, very bad. :tsk: I guess the hunger is just more intense for these young kids. It was pretty cool watching the kids declare for college teams during the game.

I can't wait for next season. Going to be Pomona Panther Black and Red. High school ball....I'm salivating. :laugh: Should be fun.

I caught the end of the game...wish i got to watch the entire thing. I was watching SNL sports 09.

Lonestar
01-05-2009, 03:32 PM
sounds like another blunder for the coaching staff allowing him to play when he was hurt.. It was not like Woodyard was not playing lights out..

And everyone wonders why mikey Etal was fired..

Broncospsycho77
01-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Eh.

Our two lines of linebackers were pretty much a wash effectiveness-wise by the end of the season; however, DJ probably still has the talent somewhere in there to get back to his dominant WLB ways...