PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Fox, It’s Time to Get Creative

Tned
11-04-2011, 07:10 AM
A piece by Brandon Spano (@Brandonspano) about a need for more creativity in play calling on both sides of the playcalling.

SPANO’S RANTS

Hey, Fox, It’s Time to Get Creative!

When the Broncos come out on Sunday in Oakland, they need to create a new identity – one with urgency, one that’s innovative and one that allows them to catch the Raiders off guard. Not the same old conservative play calling that we have seen for the past two months.

The slow, clock management style offense and the basic, boring defensive calls are obviously not working. This team doesn’t have the ability to lineup one on one in the traditional sense and beat the opposing team fundamentally after they have had time to stop, think and readjust. So why would you, as a coach, continue to attempt that?

Someone asked me a few days ago if the play calling even mattered because the team was so bad. My response was, “That’s when it matters the most.” Why don’t you do your young defensive backs a favor and create pressure with a surprising blitz so that they can have an opportunity to jump a route and create a play. Like my producer Dan Mohrmann often says, “I thought Dennis Allen was known for his exotic blitz packages.”

Read the rest here: http://www.milehighsports.com/?p=6857

UnderArmour
11-04-2011, 07:39 AM
We messed up big time when we traded away Gaffney and Lloyd really. The Josh McDaniels offense works better than a typical ground and pound attack in today's NFL and for BOTH Tebow and Orton. Orton would still be starting and the Broncos might have a winning record right now if we hadn't foolishly thought that we should run less 3/4 WR sets this season. Gaffney was one of Orton's favorite targets and also part of Tebow's development last year.

Hindsight is 20/20, but it's easier to have a quick release passing game with more receivers that can actually catch the freaking football when it is in their area. Again, Orton was playing poorly too. This is not just on Tebow. The sad thing is even if we have Fells in there an extra blocker, it still won't be doing Tebow too many favors because Royal is going to drop the football, DT is going to drop the football, Willis probably won't be on the field, and Decker will be covered. The shotgun spread that we ran on the first drive against Detroit is really the only hope we have of winning games. Tebow can scan the field pre-snap or just run the football. Again, not to be repetitive, but even ORTON was playing better when he was taking snaps in shotgun spread. It is ridiculously easier on a quarterback to be able to read a defense from a shotgun formation.

More on-thread though, there was this neat trick play that Oakland ran with Pryor that I think we could pull off:

Basically: We put Orton in the shotgun, Tebow in the slot, then we have Tebow go in-motion from the slot to under center, take the snap, pitch the ball back to Orton, then have Orton throw the football down field.

claymore
11-04-2011, 07:53 AM
In the long, long, long list of bad decisions that the Broncos have made in the last 3-5 years... Trading Lloyd and Gaffney are at the absolute bottom of that list IMO.

UnderArmour
11-04-2011, 07:55 AM
In the long, long, long list of bad decisions that the Broncos have made in the last 3-5 years... Trading Lloyd and Gaffney are at the absolute bottom of that list IMO.

It's hard to blame this regime for the mistakes of the one that traded away all of our offensive play makers instead of extending them. I can only blame this one for the mistakes that it actually made.

claymore
11-04-2011, 08:35 AM
It's hard to blame this regime for the mistakes of the one that traded away all of our offensive play makers instead of extending them. I can only blame this one for the mistakes that it actually made.

Its going to be harder to judge this regime on mistakes in the first year because this regime isnt so wildly erratic like the last one.

Things that look like mistakes might end up being a slow methodic approach on the way to becoming a winning franchise again.

e.g. Retaining McCoy seems like a mistake. In hindsight it might have been the right decision to see what he had, maintain some continuity because there was no one better to bring in. Why replace him if the guy you want becomes available in 2012, and you would have just replaced the new OC with the other one once he became available.

battherastard
11-04-2011, 08:56 AM
god forbid we run a reverse to eddie royal

nevcraw
11-04-2011, 08:57 AM
think they could have should have worked out an extension with Lloyd. without him the WR core became average and scares no one..

claymore
11-04-2011, 09:02 AM
think they could have should have worked out an extension with Lloyd. without him the WR core became average and scares no one..

Its our QB's that dont scare anyone.

Tned
11-04-2011, 09:03 AM
e.g. Retaining McCoy seems like a mistake. In hindsight it might have been the right decision to see what he had, maintain some continuity because there was no one better to bring in. Why replace him if the guy you want becomes available in 2012, and you would have just replaced the new OC with the other one once he became available.

Depends on your definition of "mistake." McCoy comes from the Fox/Carolina system and is running the type of offense that Fox wants run, so from that perspective, he seems like a good choice.

That said, I don't like Fox's offensive philosophy (can you say Dan Reeves?), so therefore I agree that keeping McCoy was a mistake, even if Fox probably thinks otherwise.

claymore
11-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Depends on your definition of "mistake." McCoy comes from the Fox/Carolina system and is running the type of offense that Fox wants run, so from that perspective, he seems like a good choice.

That said, I don't like Fox's offensive philosophy (can you say Dan Reeves?), so therefore I agree that keeping McCoy was a mistake, even if Fox probably thinks otherwise.

I think Keeping McCoy past this season is a mistake. I think if he was retained for this season to see what he has, or they were waiting until someone else was available than its not a mistake.

If McCoy is retained next year, and his offense doesnt drastically improve by early next year, then we know Fox probably isnt the answer. IMO.

BTW, McCoy isnt the only dude that needs to pack their bags. Studsville, Oline coach... Receiver coach cant be evaluated because they (WR's) are no longer being used. :laugh:

BroncoJoe
11-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Not saying it was right, but keeping McCoy was probably a good decision. We thought Orton would be gone via trade, and with the lockout, it would have helped Tebow be a successful starter to have the same basic system in place.

Once the Orton deal crashed, McCoy focused on Kyle's abilities and not Tebow's. It's going to take some time to get everyone on the same page once again. Question is, will they give Tebow and the team time to get their timing down and make play adjustments.

Buff
11-04-2011, 09:23 AM
I have zero faith in Tim Tebow. I think building an offense around him is an exercise in futility and the offensive staff knows it.

vettesplus
11-04-2011, 09:23 AM
i just wonder how long its going to take for elway to decide john foxes style of coaching isn't in the best interest of the broncos, anyone remember elway vs. reeves..? i think elway finally won that fight....

BroncoJoe
11-04-2011, 09:25 AM
I have zero faith in Tim Tebow. I think building an offense around him is an exercise in futility and the offensive staff knows it.

I don't know if I ever had faith in Tebow - lots of hope though. I was really hoping he would be above average so we can spend our draft focusing on the many deficiencies of this team and not blow our wad on a QB.

I'm losing hope.

claymore
11-04-2011, 09:26 AM

After 2 years we are finally on the exact same page.

Buff
11-04-2011, 09:27 AM
After 2 years we are finally on the exact same page.

It's been a long road, brother. Let's french kiss.

slim
11-04-2011, 09:27 AM

I don't think they should either. But they need to improve the play calling, at minimum. As well as the running game has been working, they could easily call a few boots and split the field in half. Maybe I just miss Kubes and Shanny, but I don't understand why they won't do this.

claymore
11-04-2011, 09:28 AM

I want to run my fingers thru your curly hair and tounge the gap in your front teeth.

Tned
11-04-2011, 09:33 AM

I'm in the "jury's still out" camp with Tebow, but I agree that the staff isn't interested in catering to his playing style. They have moved to the portion of the playbook he's more comfortable, but it's still standard Foxball, which is a very conservative offense (and overall philosophy) that is based on two factors above all to be successful -- run the ball & stop the run.

BroncoStud
11-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Hiring Fox was a mistake. Wait and see.

Buff
11-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Hiring Fox was a mistake. Wait and see.

I think Fox was sort of the best we could do last year - I look at him as a stop gap. Our roster has/had too many holes to attract an A-list candidate like Harbaugh. Plus the organization needed an experienced guy after the McDaniels debacle.

I think Fox only lasts 2-3 years tops... He's not above average or horrible below average - he's just steady and average. Which is an upgrade over McD, but not over the top half of the NFL coaches. Elway will upgrade when it makes more sense IMO.

chazoe60
11-04-2011, 09:51 AM
We should have hired Dennison, twice.

UnderArmour
11-04-2011, 10:07 AM
god forbid we run a reverse to eddie royal

I don't think that works actually. DEs are staying at home(setting the edge and keeping it) due to Tebow's rushing ability. A reverse is ineffective while we have that. We should run more counter plays and kick the DE out to capitalize on that but only McGahee can hit a hole.

arapaho2
11-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Not saying it was right, but keeping McCoy was probably a good decision. We thought Orton would be gone via trade, and with the lockout, it would have helped Tebow be a successful starter to have the same basic system in place.

Once the Orton deal crashed, McCoy focused on Kyle's abilities and not Tebow's. It's going to take some time to get everyone on the same page once again. Question is, will they give Tebow and the team time to get their timing down and make play adjustments.

i wonder how much time its gonna take mccoy and fox to realize that getting sacked in less than 3 seconds while your wrs are running slow developing routes isnt the answer?

how much time is required to see the need for a screen, a te chip and release into the flat, a quick slant or crosssing pattern, wr screen...or maybe a drag route

how much time should we afford our coaches to see the obvious?

BroncoStud
11-04-2011, 10:31 AM
I think Fox was sort of the best we could do last year - I look at him as a stop gap. Our roster has/had too many holes to attract an A-list candidate like Harbaugh. Plus the organization needed an experienced guy after the McDaniels debacle.

I think Fox only lasts 2-3 years tops... He's not above average or horrible below average - he's just steady and average. Which is an upgrade over McD, but not over the top half of the NFL coaches. Elway will upgrade when it makes more sense IMO.

I don't think Fox is a COACHING upgrade over McDaniels at all. I see the same nonsense on defense and we have an inferior offense. McDaniels wasn't a terrible coach but he was a putrid GM and a shitty human being. Fox seems like a very nice guy and I wish him well, but you don't hire "stop gaps" in the NFL. You hire a guy you want to lead you to the promised land. No doubt that Fox sold Elway on the fact he had been to a Super Bowl with a young team, but the game seems to have flown by him.

Look at what Harbaugh has done in SF. That was a terrible team last year and now they sit at 7-1? Coaching matters, and we don't have much of it right now.

Ravage!!!
11-04-2011, 10:53 AM
I don't think Fox is a COACHING upgrade over McDaniels at all. I see the same nonsense on defense and we have an inferior offense. McDaniels wasn't a terrible coach but he was a putrid GM and a shitty human being. Fox seems like a very nice guy and I wish him well, but you don't hire "stop gaps" in the NFL. You hire a guy you want to lead you to the promised land. No doubt that Fox sold Elway on the fact he had been to a Super Bowl with a young team, but the game seems to have flown by him.

Look at what Harbaugh has done in SF. That was a terrible team last year and now they sit at 7-1? Coaching matters, and we don't have much of it right now.

Fox was simply stability in a very unstable enviroment. Thats the only thing I can figure. The guy has been around the NFL a long time. He knows it inside and out, and isn't a guy that is going to be a drama fanatic like McD.

Harbaugh was going to San Fran, and that was the ONLY team he was going to. He didn't have interest in anyone else. So Harbaugh wasn't really an option (and I know you aren't saying he was). But lets not hand Harbaugh any trophies yet. Seems McDaniels was getting the same kind of praise around here after going 6-0 in Denver. Guys can come in and light it up early, but its sustained success that keeps people in the league.

nevcraw
11-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Tebow may never amount to anything but a poor man's Ty Detmer but I cannot tell you that today -- just not enough evidence given what he's been been working with and we've seen both plenty of good and bad in the little he's played..

BroncoNut
11-04-2011, 11:35 AM
WTF dude?

I guess we don't have what I thought we did

Northman
11-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Spano does realize that we have John Fox as the HC and not Mike Shanahan right? lol

I mean, this is what you get with a conservative styled HC. Nothing is going to change Spano, better come to terms with that.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-04-2011, 12:22 PM
We should have hired Dennison, twice.

Why? What has Rick Dennison ever done besides ride the coattails of Shanahan and Kubiak?

Has any other team given him a HC interview except Denver? What makes him so special? Had we hired Dennison, we'd have ended up at best like Houston. We'd have re-focused on the offensive side of the ball and the ZBS only to completely neglect the defense again. There is absolutely no guarantee that Dennison could've lured a decent DC here to fix the defense. He probably would've grabbed one of his assistants from Houston (the only defense worse than ours) to do the job.

We needed a stable, experienced HC to bring stability to the locker room and coaching staff. Gruden and Cowher weren't available and Harbaugh wasn't going to be pried away from the Bay area no matter how much money he was offered. Miami offered to pretty much make Harbaugh the highest paid HC in the league and he turned them down to take less money in SF.

I actually like having a defensive-minded HC. Offensive minded HCs can get you to the playoffs, but you must play defense to win. There's a reason that Manning only won the Superbowl the year his defense played lights-out in the playoffs and that Brady hasn't won one since his defense dropped out of the top-10 in the league.

NorCalBronco7
11-04-2011, 12:46 PM
I don't think they should either. But they need to improve the play calling, at minimum. As well as the running game has been working, they could easily call a few boots and split the field in half. Maybe I just miss Kubes and Shanny, but I don't understand why they won't do this.

Why would a team dare PA Boot......when the defense is blitzing 7+ defenders?

McDaniels was a terrible coach.

Even though its too early to judge, I cant understand how Fox could be worse than McD at anything. The defense and running game are already improved.

I wanted Harbaugh as well, but the niners have been a very talented team for a while now. Its not like he stepped into a bad situation, like Fox has.

arapaho2
11-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Why? What has Rick Dennison ever done besides ride the coattails of Shanahan and Kubiak?

Has any other team given him a HC interview except Denver? What makes him so special? Had we hired Dennison, we'd have ended up at best like Houston. We'd have re-focused on the offensive side of the ball and the ZBS only to completely neglect the defense again. There is absolutely no guarantee that Dennison could've lured a decent DC here to fix the defense. He probably would've grabbed one of his assistants from Houston (the only defense worse than ours) to do the job.

We needed a stable, experienced HC to bring stability to the locker room and coaching staff. Gruden and Cowher weren't available and Harbaugh wasn't going to be pried away from the Bay area no matter how much money he was offered. Miami offered to pretty much make Harbaugh the highest paid HC in the league and he turned them down to take less money in SF.

I actually like having a defensive-minded HC. Offensive minded HCs can get you to the playoffs, but you must play defense to win. There's a reason that Manning only won the Superbowl the year his defense played lights-out in the playoffs and that Brady hasn't won one since his defense dropped out of the top-10 in the league.

which is what bugs me about fox

i wasnt thrilled with his hire, but i resigned myself to the fact that a defensive minded head coach, who hires a supposedly young and exciting DC who would install a defense oriented towards pressure, combined with the return of doom and the eventual drafting of miller

would improve our defense

we have only 18 sacks, we have only three ints, 5 ff...we are 30th in scoreing with the defense giving up only one less point per game than last years epically bad MCD oriented defense

im beginning to think the nfl has passed fox up and left him for dead either unwilling to or unable to adapt to the changing nfl offensive gameplans

dogfish
11-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Hey, Fox, It’s Time to Get Creative

enh, good luck with that. . .

:fear:

this is what i've been saying all along. . . fox wasn't elway's first choice, but we couldn't even get an interview with the guy he wanted, and i'm positive bowlen/ellis weren't going to open up the checkbook for cowher or gruden. . .

i don't disagree with most of this, but who else were they going to get? there's zero proof that dennison could have done any better, and who else were we looking at that had a better resume than fox?

i don't love having the guy here, but i don't see what better choices john had to pick from. . .

slim
11-04-2011, 01:52 PM

Are you trying to tell me the defense is blitzing on every play?

dogfish
11-04-2011, 01:55 PM
The defense and running game are already improved.

last year we were 32nd (dead last) in points allowed at 29.4 per game-- this year we're 31st, at 28.6 points per game. . .

we "improved" from a kick in the nuts to getting poked in the eye with a sharp stick. . .

NorCalBronco7
11-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Are you trying to tell me the defense is blitzing on every play?

In 2 wide+ situations, the defense has just about blitzed every play because Tebow cant throw.

My point is bootlegs are not effective against 7+ blitzers. Almost NO PA is!

dogfish
11-04-2011, 01:58 PM
But lets not hand Harbaugh any trophies yet. Seems McDaniels was getting the same kind of praise around here after going 6-0 in Denver. Guys can come in and light it up early, but its sustained success that keeps people in the league.

betcha he has that staying power. . . he builds physical, fundamentally sound teams, and clearly has the touch with quarterbacks-- those are winning tools in this trade. . .

slim
11-04-2011, 02:01 PM
In 2 wide+ situations, the defense has just about blitzed every play because Tebow cant throw. !
Total BS

My point is bootlegs are not effective against 7+ blitzers. Almost NO PA is!

I understand how play action works.

NorCalBronco7
11-04-2011, 02:07 PM
last year we were 32nd (dead last) in points allowed at 29.4 per game-- this year we're 31st, at 28.6 points per game. . .

we "improved" from a kick in the nuts to getting poked in the eye with a sharp stick. . .

Overall stats can be silly this early in the season. Half the games haven't even been played.

1 Mon, Sep 12 vsOakland L23-20
2 Sun, Sep 18 vsCincinnati W24-22
3 Sun, Sep 25 @Tennessee L17-14
4 Sun, Oct 2 @Green Bay L49-23
5 Sun, Oct 9 vsSan Diego L29-24
6 BYE WEEK
7 Sun, Oct 23 @Miami W18-15 OT
8 Sun, Oct 30 vsDetroit L45-10

The Broncos got destroyed by two great offenses. Other than that, they have done solid.

30th passing off
8th in rushing
19th opp passing yrds
18th opp rushing ryds

Tebow/Orton have been terrible this year. Other than the passing offense, eveything has improved since last year.

NorCalBronco7
11-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Total BS

I understand how play action works.

Well, not fully.

Watch the games, Tebow is getting blitzed like crazy. Calling for more PA and prolonging the play against multiple blitzers is one of the stupidest things McCoy could do. The threat of zero blitzes are ALWAYS THERE WITH THE DEFENSE when playing Tebow. The risk of PA boots - or PA in general, is too risky with Tebow. A couple times a games is fine, like we've seen. But the offense wont make a living off it. This isnt Shannys offense.

dogfish
11-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Overall stats can be silly this early in the season. Half the games haven't even been played.

1 Mon, Sep 12 vsOakland L23-20
2 Sun, Sep 18 vsCincinnati W24-22
3 Sun, Sep 25 @Tennessee L17-14
4 Sun, Oct 2 @Green Bay L49-23
5 Sun, Oct 9 vsSan Diego L29-24
6 BYE WEEK
7 Sun, Oct 23 @Miami W18-15 OT
8 Sun, Oct 30 vsDetroit L45-10

The Broncos got destroyed by two great offenses. Other than that, they have done solid.

30th passing off
8th in rushing
19th opp passing yrds
18th opp rushing ryds

Tebow/Orton have been terrible this year. Other than the passing offense, eveything has improved since last year.

oh, so the defense is better, and we'll be fine as long as we never have to play a good offense again?

cool. . . :lol:

BroncoStud
11-04-2011, 03:04 PM

McDaniels was a terrible coach.

Even though its too early to judge, I cant understand how Fox could be worse than McD at anything. The defense and running game are already improved.

I wanted Harbaugh as well, but the niners have been a very talented team for a while now. Its not like he stepped into a bad situation, like Fox has.

We rank 27th in total offense and 20th in total defense, plus we have a DOOM and Miller this year... How is Fox any better? In fact, the ONLY HC to lose more games than McDaniels last year was in fact, Fox.

slim
11-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Well, not fully.

Watch the games, Tebow is getting blitzed like crazy. Calling for more PA and prolonging the play against multiple blitzers is one of the stupidest things McCoy could do. The threat of zero blitzes are ALWAYS THERE WITH THE DEFENSE when playing Tebow. The risk of PA boots - or PA in general, is too risky with Tebow. A couple times a games is fine, like we've seen. But the offense wont make a living off it. This isnt Shannys offense.

Right, and I am saying they need to call it a couple of times a game (along with more screens and a few quick slants, etc.).

I really don't care what they do, as long as it isn't the same crap they have run out there the last two weeks. They can keep trying to force that square peg into the round hole, but what is the point in that?

chazoe60
11-04-2011, 06:04 PM

Dennison would most likely be the most intelligent HC in the NFL. I believe he'd have been wise enough to leave the offense alone and focus his energy and resources on fixing a badly broken defense.

You can't say for sure he would have neglected the defense anymore than I can say he wouldn't have. It's all guesswork, I just have faith that a man as smart as he is would have seen what the rest of us already saw.

I would have loved to see what Dennison would do as our HC.

BroncoStud
11-05-2011, 02:09 AM
I would very much have liked to see what Rick could have done here. I have ZERO doubt that the Broncos would be BETTER right now, today, if he were the HC than if Fox were. I think we clearly made the wrong hire.

CrazyHorse
11-05-2011, 07:05 AM
Josh McDaniels ran a more creative offense. There, I said it. You know it's true though.

dogfish
11-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Josh McDaniels ran a more creative offense. There, I said it. You know it's true though.

only slightly. . . i think you've forgotten that his playbook had hands down the worst, least imaginative running plays in the entire NFL. . . his passing concepts are more effective than mccoy's-- but i don't know that fifteen bubble screens and ten go routes to lloyd per game is really all that creative. . .

you know his rams are scoring 12 stinking points a game, right?