PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Robertson Trade?

OldschoolFreak
01-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Here you go everybody... A chance to get away from the rampant HC speculation for a minute.

I've got a question for everybody...

I remember that the Robertson trade with the Jets was for an undetermined draft pick depending on his playing time this year ranging anywhere from like a second or third (could be wrong about that) to nothing.

SO...Does anyone know whether or not he hit the threshold (I seem to remember 66% of snaps but again, could be wrong). I'm hoping we got him for free but want to know what (if any) draft pick we had to give up if that is not the case.

lex
01-05-2009, 12:14 AM
Here you go everybody... A chance to get away from the rampant HC speculation for a minute.

I remember that the Robertson trade with the Jets was for an undetermined draft pick depending on his playing time this year ranging anywhere from like a second or third (could be wrong about that) to nothing.

SO...Does anyone know whether or not he hit the threshold (I seem to remember 66% of snaps but again, could be wrong). I'm hoping we got him for free but want to know what (if any) draft pick we had to give up if that is not the case.

I dont think he played the % of plays to make us have to give up a pick. I think a paper had a blurb about it and did a rough estimate on the %.

Shazam!
01-05-2009, 01:51 AM
Another blockbuster Broncos FA who had no impact whatsoever.

I thought he'd have been a contributor. I was wrong.

That's what we get for always getting damaged goods.

DenBronx
01-05-2009, 03:22 AM

yeah i'm more than tired of seeing has beens and damaged good players come through here. just fork out the money bowlen and get a real player like haynesworth. i'm sick of this crap.

btw, robertson started every game this year right? even though he rotated i think he was still in for 66% of the plays. i sure hope he wasn't because i'd hate to see us send a 3rd or 4th for this piece of crap.

silkamilkamonico
01-05-2009, 04:04 AM

Hardly a blockbuster trade/FA. Remember he was given to us.

Italianmobstr7
01-05-2009, 04:10 AM
Hardly a blockbuster trade/FA. Remember he was given to us.

would you remind refreshing us on the terms and conditions of the trade?

fcspikeit
01-05-2009, 04:43 AM

yeah i'm more than tired of seeing has beens and damaged good players come through here. just fork out the money bowlen and get a real player like haynesworth. i'm sick of this crap.

btw, robertson started every game this year right? even though he rotated i think he was still in for 66% of the plays. i sure hope he wasn't because i'd hate to see us send a 3rd or 4th for this piece of crap.

There wasn't one person on our D that didn't look like a piece of crap! Did you see how many times Bailey got toasted against SD? Ed Reed would have looked like crap in Slowics worthless scheme. I hope we keep him for at least another year... After we get a real DC to come in here, we should be able to tell what he can do. That goes for almost everyone on our D excluding Webster, I hope we trade him to the Raiders!

You watch, we will add very little except for a few players on D and our D will be a lot better next year, then everyone can talk about how good a team Shannahan built.. The biggest addition will come by subtracting Slowic..

gobroncsnv
01-05-2009, 08:04 AM
Well, from what I saw this season, Slowik did not miss a single tackle, overrun a single gap responsibility, lose contain on defensive end, or have a total inability to shed a block. Sorry my friend, but Slowik didn't have responsibility for HOW the players played, just WHERE they played.

This is NOT a keep Slowik post by any means, but you won't hear me saying we're 1 or 2 players away from having a good D if we'd just get the right X's and O's guy. We have been without a decent Dline for 10 years now, and Robertson was just one more in a series of "blockbuster" defensive acquisitions. Anyone think Elway would have won it all with this defense for an "anchor"? Think Robinson could have whipped this sorry bunch into SB contenders? Coyer could have led this motley crew to the AFC Ch game? Not me, not for one minute.

I think the number is right, just in reverse order. We're not 1 or 2 players away from a good defense, we only have 1 or 2 really good defensive players.

There's no point to keeping Champ if we aren't going to go after a good pass rush. We've seen that for about, oh, how long has he been here? When the games really count, and you're in the playoffs, it doesn't matter WHO you have at CB if there isn't anybody up front forcing bad throws. Now, I DO hope we keep Champ, but give him some teammates who can support him, but I'm sure when he came to Denver, he was looking to have some help. Right now, he could sue for non-support.

I hope we bring in Spags, and he is given free rein to give our D an enema. Bring in a DC with a good scheme, but GIVE THEM SOME PLAYERS WHO COULD RUN IT!!!!

MOtorboat
01-05-2009, 08:19 AM
would you remind refreshing us on the terms and conditions of the trade?

I believe it was a conditional 6th, if he played 60 percent of the plays this season. He didn't play 60 percent, therefore he was given to us.

TXBRONC
01-05-2009, 08:25 AM

Not that I mean to really spilt hairs but I though it closer to 60% of the snaps.

Tned
01-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Not that I mean to really spilt hairs but I though it closer to 60% of the snaps.

I believe it was a conditional 6th, if he played 60 percent of the plays this season. He didn't play 60 percent, therefore he was given to us.

Rotoworld.com:

The Jets may receive nothing from the Dewayne Robertson trade with the Broncos.

Robertson flunked the Broncos' physical, but the team decided he was worth the risk. If Robertson plays in less than 65 percent of the defensive plays in 2008, the Jets will not receive a 2009 pick. They will get a third-rounder if he does make 65 percent, but the Broncos eight-man rotation and Robertson's balky knee make that scenario unlikely.

Source: Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_9054630)

MOtorboat
01-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Wow, it was higher than I thought...that was almost a mistake...

SmilinAssasSin27
01-05-2009, 08:57 AM
See Shazam, hardly anything to be concerned with. besides, maybe if he had any DE, LB or S help, he may be freed up to make more of an impact. he and THomas were pretty damn good on goalline situations.

Poet
01-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Draft picks are the most overrated pieces of crap in football.

If he was able to play that many snaps it would have meant that he was producing.

Sometimes you gotta gamble.

Traveler
01-05-2009, 09:13 AM
Money matters

The Broncos' foray into free agency last offseason might influence how things go this time around.

One of their issues in the coming months will be what to do with defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson's deal. The contract he signed after being acquired in a trade with the Jets included the potential of a $17 million roster bonus, due this spring, if he played 80 percent of the team's defensive snaps.

An informal count puts Robertson somewhere around 58 to 65 percent of the defensive snaps for the season, so the roster bonus would be lower.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/29/end-they-simply-didnt-finish/

SmilinAssasSin27
01-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Draft picks are the most overrated pieces of crap in football.If he was able to play that many snaps it would have meant that he was producing.

Sometimes you gotta gamble.

I think teams who know what to do w/ em, like Pitt and NE would disagree. Those teams have let talented people go and rely heavily on their draft prowess. We, on the otherhand, seem to fumble thru it when we are considering defensive personnel.

broncofaninfla
01-05-2009, 09:27 AM
I might be wrong about this but being he would probably fail a physical, Denver could opt to give him a injury settlement and cut him.

Poet
01-05-2009, 09:27 AM
I think teams who know what to do w/ em, like Pitt and NE would disagree. Those teams have let talented people go and rely heavily on their draft prowess. We, on the otherhand, seem to fumble thru it when we are considering defensive personnel.

Those teams are scheme teams. They run a specific scheme and find players to match it. It's the same reason why they can get away with fielding old slow players in New England's case, and as far as Pittsburgh goes they are the biggest system defense ever. It's Dick Lebeau, he is the finest defensive mind to ever be in the NFL. They let go of Porter and replace him with Harrison. YOu really think that they managed to find two great LBs in a row? Or would you like to bet that it's the scheme. They run a big rotation on the defensive ends, and their only big time players on defense that are early rounders are Troy P and Hampton. Woodley is emerging.

Draft picks are important, my main point that I should have conveyed better is that early round picks are overrated. The majority of players taken on day one are not going to live up to their expectations. Especially first rounders.

MOtorboat
01-05-2009, 09:30 AM
You really think that they managed to find two great LBs in a row?

Yes.

And they seemed to have found a third in Woodley.

Superchop 7
01-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Look guys, our players were pretty weak.

Funny how much better they got when unknowns Larsen and Woodyard went in.

How hard is it to fix the defense ?

Well, we have some things going in our favor this year,

The draft is deep in linebacker and safety, this should be the primary focus of our draft.

As for d-line.....well..... ya gotta open the checkbook......we need to find a guy that requires a double team.

NightTrainLayne
01-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Those teams are scheme teams. They run a specific scheme and find players to match it. It's the same reason why they can get away with fielding old slow players in New England's case, and as far as Pittsburgh goes they are the biggest system defense ever. It's Dick Lebeau, he is the finest defensive mind to ever be in the NFL. They let go of Porter and replace him with Harrison. YOu really think that they managed to find two great LBs in a row? Or would you like to bet that it's the scheme. They run a big rotation on the defensive ends, and their only big time players on defense that are early rounders are Troy P and Hampton. Woodley is emerging.

Draft picks are important, my main point that I should have conveyed better is that early round picks are overrated. The majority of players taken on day one are not going to live up to their expectations. Especially first rounders.

Yes.

And they seemed to have found a third in Woodley.

As with most things I think it's some of both.

Shazam!
01-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Those teams are scheme teams. They run a specific scheme and find players to match it. It's the same reason why they can get away with fielding old slow players in New England's case...

Junior Seau.

fcspikeit
01-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Look guys, our players were pretty weak.

Funny how much better they got when unknowns Larsen and Woodyard went in.

How hard is it to fix the defense ?

Well, we have some things going in our favor this year,

The draft is deep in linebacker and safety, this should be the primary focus of our draft.

As for d-line.....well..... ya gotta open the checkbook......we need to find a guy that requires a double team.

Woodyard took over for a Pro Bowler. Everyone could see how bad Webster was, everyone but Slowic.. The fact Webster stayed in tells me slowic knew almost nothing about what it takes to have a good defense...

How can you explain why we were better with Woodyard over Williams? My guess is that the rooks were always out of the position Slowic wanted them to play. That's why they were able to make plays... Unlike Webster and Williams who knew what Slowic wanted and played were he told them too.

How many of our corners got toasted because they gave up such a huge cushion? A couple of them even commented on it...

fcspikeit
01-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Well, from what I saw this season, Slowik did not miss a single tackle, overrun a single gap responsibility, lose contain on defensive end, or have a total inability to shed a block. Sorry my friend, but Slowik didn't have responsibility for HOW the players played, just WHERE they played.

This is NOT a keep Slowik post by any means, but you won't hear me saying we're 1 or 2 players away from having a good D if we'd just get the right X's and O's guy. We have been without a decent Dline for 10 years now, and Robertson was just one more in a series of "blockbuster" defensive acquisitions. Anyone think Elway would have won it all with this defense for an "anchor"? Think Robinson could have whipped this sorry bunch into SB contenders? Coyer could have led this motley crew to the AFC Ch game? Not me, not for one minute.

I think the number is right, just in reverse order. We're not 1 or 2 players away from a good defense, we only have 1 or 2 really good defensive players.

There's no point to keeping Champ if we aren't going to go after a good pass rush. We've seen that for about, oh, how long has he been here? When the games really count, and you're in the playoffs, it doesn't matter WHO you have at CB if there isn't anybody up front forcing bad throws. Now, I DO hope we keep Champ, but give him some teammates who can support him, but I'm sure when he came to Denver, he was looking to have some help. Right now, he could sue for non-support.

I hope we bring in Spags, and he is given free rein to give our D an enema. Bring in a DC with a good scheme, but GIVE THEM SOME PLAYERS WHO COULD RUN IT!!!!

Will see...

I'm not saying we have a bunch of all pros on D.. But their not as bad as they looked under Slowic. As I said, both Bailey and Williams looked bad.. If Slowic was baileys DC his entire carrier, he wouldn't even be considered for the Hall. Let alone in the conversation for GOAT...

OldschoolFreak
01-05-2009, 07:48 PM
So the answer is????

Lots of speculation and I now see from the article posted above that the trigger amount was 65% of defensive snaps. But I'm still not clear on where Robertson fell. The only thing I read above was an informal estimate of 58-65% which could go either way.

Anyone have a definitive answer?????

TXBRONC
01-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Rotoworld.com:

Wow 65% of the snaps. I wonder if he reached that threshold?