PDA

View Full Version : Is our OL the worst in NFL?

DenBronx
11-02-2011, 11:37 PM
It seems like all year long other teams defenses are getting into our backfield extremely quick, whether it was Kyle Orton or Tim Tebow. I for one though TT would be doing alot better because of his scrambling ability but defenses are getting to him rather quick. I think it's been 12 sacks in 2 games now?

Clady has been solid in years past but hasnt really seemed to be back to Pro Bowl form since he got injured. The rest of the guys, even Kuper seem to get blown up, ALOT! Orlando Franklin has shown flashes at times but most of the time he looks horrible.

I used to think the Bears had the worst OL but now I'm thinking it's the Broncos.

Thoughts???

dogfish
11-02-2011, 11:43 PM
they mostly suck. . . i don't know if i'd call them worse than chicago's OL-- don't know if i much care exactly where we "rank," either. . . if someone else is worse, it doesn't help us on the field any. . .

it's not good, that's for sure. . . at least the run blocking has shown some signs of improvement, but overall it's not an effective unit. . . i do think we could see significant progress next year if we get a legit RT and kick franklin inside, because the young guys are getting more valuable experience this year, and should actually be able to carry some cohesion into next season assuming we retain most or all of them. . . which we should. . . draft a RT, and bring in a vet to compete with walton, and that leaves beadles as an experienced swing OL off the bench. . . not our worst situation IMO, despite this year's poor showing. . .

BroncoStud
11-02-2011, 11:44 PM
Hell no, Chicago is by far the worst. Miami is pretty bad too.

DenBronx
11-02-2011, 11:47 PM
they mostly suck. . . i don't know if i'd call them worse than chicago's OL-- don't know if i much care exactly where we "rank," either. . . if someone else is worse, it doesn't help us on the field any. . .

it's not good, that's for sure. . . at least the run blocking has shown some signs of improvement, but overall it's not an effective unit. . . i do think we could see significant progress next year if we get a legit RT and kick franklin inside, because the young guys are getting more valuable experience this year, and should actually be able to carry some cohesion into next season assuming we retain most or all of them. . . which we should. . . draft a RT, and bring in a vet to compete with walton, and that leaves beadles as an experienced swing OL off the bench. . . not our worst situation IMO, despite this year's poor showing. . .

I credit McGahee to our running game looking better. Why have Moreno and Ball looked like scrubs with the same OL and same system when given the chance?

Seems like we have used a buttload of picks on the OL within the last few years and none of them are any better than Ryan Harris was. At least when Harris was healthy, which seemed like never, he held his own. The noobs just look lost at times.

DenBronx
11-02-2011, 11:49 PM
Hell no, Chicago is by far the worst. Miami is pretty bad too.

Chitowns OL is pretty terrible but ours doesnt look any better.

To be fair, half of TTs sacks was his own fault from holding the ball too long.

dogfish
11-02-2011, 11:51 PM
Why have Moreno and Ball looked like scrubs with the same OL and same system when given the chance?

because they ARE scrubs. . . :laugh:

nflfan
11-03-2011, 12:14 AM
Denver has some good talent at OL, but an OL needs the proper mix of young talent plus guiding experience for cohesion. Hamilton and Wiegmann, as old as they were, played a huge role in stabiilizing the OL to make it one of the best of 2008. That experience and leadership isn't easy to replace, and the young guys now will just have to make their own mistakes.

The strength of the Bears' OL is size; their weakness is lateral movement, specially at LT. Now, though, they just use more blockers to hide their deficiencies, and call less and less empty backfield, deep drops, or long developing plays.

Jsteve01
11-03-2011, 12:21 AM
Combo of mediocre o line and bad qb play

dogfish
11-03-2011, 12:32 AM
Combo of mediocre o line and bad qb play

and really predictable play-calling. . .

Lancane
11-03-2011, 12:59 AM
No, not even close...there are issues with the offensive line, but they can be relatively fixed easily. A big problem is the blocking scheme, before Tebow was put in the starting lineup the offense was closer to man-to-man blocking or power then a zone, and they started to look better, then suddenly Denver with Tebow because of whatever reason we're back to using zone more often with power, about 50/50 or 40/60, that doesn't work well. Franklin, Beadles, Walton have proven to struggle with more zone, while Clady is solid in either, but a better zone blocker just like Kuper. They're all over the F'n place, and the coaches don't seem to have a clue.

Poet
11-03-2011, 01:02 AM
Pittsburgh and Philly's line are pretty god awful.

NorCalBronco7
11-03-2011, 02:00 AM
Franklin is doing horrible is pass protection overall, but hes shown flashes this season, like not giving up a sack to Clay Matthews. In the run game hes been great, but hes probably a LG next season.

Beadles sucks, except when pulling. Hes got the feet, but he makes too many mistakes. Hes not great at the point of attack and is the worst overall lineman of the starting five. Hes young and might improve, but I think he'll ever be good enough.

Walton has surprised me. Hes had a very solid season thus far. Hes a good run blocker and decent in the pass game. Hes been making his share of mistakes like Beadles, but hes at least contributing in the run game and has improved his footwork in the passing game.

Clady/Kuper are both excellent players.

The OL's run blocking has improved tons this season, but the pass protection is about the same. Still, I think this group is soild/average overall.

claymore
11-03-2011, 06:19 AM
I think with better coaching, and a different scheme the players can be salvaged and even excell.

Our whole offensive philosophy and staff needs to be re-evaluated in the offseason.

Dirk
11-03-2011, 06:29 AM
The OL may not be the worst in the league....but it's knocking at the door trying to be.

rcsodak
11-03-2011, 06:50 AM
and really predictable play-calling. . .

Its funny when people say this. Especially when our tv's dont show the entire field and mainly follow the ball from snap to whistle.

As for playcalling, there more to it than just run left/run right or pass.

C'mon people......you know only what your TV-eyes allow you to see.

:coffee:

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

HORSEPOWER 56
11-03-2011, 07:13 AM
1 rookie, 2 second year players, and 2 4th/5th year guys. Not a ton of experience. Not to mention, but when you first have a QB who can't/won't move around in the pocket, followed by a QB who doesn't even realize that there is a pocket and can't get the ball out quick enough, combined with the fact that most teams blitz more guys than they can block against either of the two, it makes them look worse.

They need time, experience, and to switch Franklin and Beadles at their respective positions... ;)

dogfish
11-03-2011, 12:01 PM
They need time, experience, and to switch Franklin and Beadles at their respective positions... ;)

guard, and backup. . . .

Northman
11-03-2011, 12:22 PM
The Oline is ranked 15th in the league, so no. They are not the worst. Even Minny has a worst Oline than us.

Cugel
11-03-2011, 12:54 PM
I keep harping on this but nobody pays any attention, so here's what Shannon Sharpe has to say:

Shannon: "But let me tell you what a great QB can do. A great QB is like makeup. He can hide a lot of flaws and imperfections. Because we had a great QB in Denver for 16 years and let me tell you what he did. He took a 7th round draft pick and got him in Canton. He took an undrafted WR and got him more yards and more catches than any undrafted receiver in the history of the game and got him on the ballot for the Hall of Fame. And he took a 6th round draft pick in Terrell Davis and he was an MVP and a Super-Bowl MVP and on the ballet for the Hall of Fame. That's what a great QB can do. He can hide flaws and imperfections.

If you don't have that guy. If you have a QB who's sub-par you know what he's going to do? He's going to make the rest of your players look sub-par.

When you have a very AVERAGE QB who can never get out of the pocket without a Hover-round, combined with an inexperienced line and a marginal running game then teams tee off on the QB and the line looks bad.

Whey they brought in Tebow and teams went to an 8 man front they looked worse because nobody can block an 8 man front. The only thing you can do in that situation is have the QB make a quick throw to a WR in one-on-one coverage.

You can't run the ball. You can't do designed rollouts, the QB doesn't have the space to run around and extend the play. He has to get rid of the ball quickly on time and on target.

So, one sub-par and one outright BAD QB is doing exactly what Shannon said they'd do: make the rest of your team look sub-par. :ranger:

silkamilkamonico
11-03-2011, 02:32 PM
We seem to have the worst, a lot of things, in the NFL these days.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-03-2011, 02:41 PM
It seems like all year long other teams defenses are getting into our backfield extremely quick, whether it was Kyle Orton or Tim Tebow. I for one though TT would be doing alot better because of his scrambling ability but defenses are getting to him rather quick. I think it's been 12 sacks in 2 games now?

Clady has been solid in years past but hasnt really seemed to be back to Pro Bowl form since he got injured. The rest of the guys, even Kuper seem to get blown up, ALOT! Orlando Franklin has shown flashes at times but most of the time he looks horrible.

I used to think the Bears had the worst OL but now I'm thinking it's the Broncos.

Thoughts???

Not sure about worst, but I think I read somewhere that they are the youngest, or one of the youngest - if that is correct, it takes time.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-03-2011, 02:59 PM
from article:

Today's question about the Broncos comes from Rusty Gardner.

Q: Rookie offensive tackle Orlando Franklin has done a horrible job protecting quarterback Tim Tebow. That needs to be addressed before a complete and fair evaluation of Tebow can be made. Do you agree?

On the first play of the fourth quarter in the Detroit game Sunday, Tebow held the ball nine seconds before Lions defensive end Lawrence Jackson​ sacked him for a 5-yard loss. Tebow never left the pocket and didn't throw the ball away. Offensive tackle Ryan Clady​ was called for a holding penalty, which the Lions declined.

No offensive line in the NFL can regularly hold blocks for nine seconds. Offensive linemen get just as frustrated with quarterbacks who won't deliver the ball on time as quarterbacks get with offensive linemen who don't keep pass rushers out of the backfield.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19249884?source=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Ravage!!!
11-03-2011, 03:11 PM
I keep harping on this but nobody pays any attention, so here's what Shannon Sharpe has to say:
Quote:

Shannon: "But let me tell you what a great QB can do. A great QB is like makeup. He can hide a lot of flaws and imperfections. Because we had a great QB in Denver for 16 years and let me tell you what he did. He took a 7th round draft pick and got him in Canton. He took an undrafted WR and got him more yards and more catches than any undrafted receiver in the history of the game and got him on the ballot for the Hall of Fame. And he took a 6th round draft pick in Terrell Davis and he was an MVP and a Super-Bowl MVP and on the ballet for the Hall of Fame. That's what a great QB can do. He can hide flaws and imperfections.

If you don't have that guy. If you have a QB who's sub-par you know what he's going to do? He's going to make the rest of your players look sub-par.

I have always liked how Shannon is willing to take away from himself and his accomplishments, to compliment someone else. :salute: