PDA

View Full Version : Computer repair advice needed!!

gnomeflinger
01-03-2009, 11:06 PM
I have a laptop PC and it's not working right now. The power connector thing became unconnected from the mother board due to repeated yanking of the power cord. I am pretty certain that if it can be fixed, a computer geek will just need to solder it back on the mother board. Any ideas how much this will cost for repair?

TIA

Gnomey

Tned
01-03-2009, 11:35 PM
I have a laptop PC and it's not working right now. The power connector thing became unconnected from the mother board due to repeated yanking of the power cord. I am pretty certain that if it can be fixed, a computer geek will just need to solder it back on the mother board. Any ideas how much this will cost for repair?

TIA

Gnomey

Probably depends if you can find a local shop that does that kind of repair or have to send it off. If you send it back to the manufacturer, it will likely be very expensive. However, there are some internet places that do flat fee repairs.

gnomeflinger
01-03-2009, 11:55 PM
I did a quick google search and it's the DC power jack that is broken. It sounds like an easy fix. If it has to go back to the manufacturer, I'm saying screw it and getting a new one. :lol:

Midnight Blue
01-04-2009, 02:06 AM
I did a quick google search and it's the DC power jack that is broken. It sounds like an easy fix. If it has to go back to the manufacturer, I'm saying screw it and getting a new one. :lol:

I had that problem with my laptop a few months ago... a repair place told me it would be around $150 to fix it. (I know how to use a soldering iron, so opted instead to find the new DC jack on ebay and fix it myself for a lot less).

Broncolingus
01-04-2009, 02:32 AM
I don't know crap about computers, Gnomey, but I bet this person can help!

http://www.infendo.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/nerd-46422.jpg

...going out on a limb there I know, but...

girler
01-04-2009, 10:44 AM
I say push some buttons. :coffee:

Requiem / The Dagda
01-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Get a new computer.

gnomeflinger
01-04-2009, 01:52 PM
I don't know crap about computers, Gnomey, but I bet this person can help!

http://www.infendo.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/nerd-46422.jpg

...going out on a limb there I know, but...

Lingus, you suck. :laugh:

Though I could probably get away with paying the dude with twinkies instead of dollars. Thinking about it...

gnomeflinger
01-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Get a new computer.

That would be awesome, except it's expensive and I spent many many hours making that laptop MINE. It's my baby.

gnomeflinger
01-04-2009, 01:54 PM
I say push some buttons. :coffee:

Whose buttons?

MOtorboat
01-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Step 1: Open window.
Step 2: Pick up computer and step towards said window.
Step 3: Hurl computer out window.
Step 4: Get something to drink.
Step 5: Go to another computer and order a laptop from preferred computer company.

Hope this helps.
:coffee:

Requiem / The Dagda
01-04-2009, 02:44 PM
500 dollars for a ballin' HP Mini is not expensive at all.

NameUsedBefore
01-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Have you tried duct tape?

(Serious answer.)

gnomeflinger
01-04-2009, 03:31 PM
500 dollars for a ballin' HP Mini is not expensive at all.

I've seen those at Costco. I want one. But I don't have $500 in the budget for a computer. I do if we don't want to eat this month and live in the dark. Since we wouldn't be able to pay the electric bill, getting a new computer would be pointless.

gnomeflinger
01-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Have you tried duct tape?

(Serious answer.)

Grandpa???

Duct tape won't fix this. This is a open it up, solder the part back on, close it up, give it back.

gnomeflinger
01-04-2009, 03:34 PM
I know what the problem is, I should now change my question to, "do you have a guesstimate on repairs for this?"

I much prefer MO's MO of repair, but it's not very economical. :lol:

Midnight Blue
01-04-2009, 03:40 PM
I know what the problem is, I should now change my question to, "do you have a guesstimate on repairs for this?"

I much prefer MO's MO of repair, but it's not very economical. :lol:

A repair place in Spokane told me it would be around $150 to fix mine... same problem.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-04-2009, 03:42 PM
They're 21 dollars a month if you go through HP. You can't scrounge that up?

broncogirl7
01-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Midnight's suggestion is great. Find easy step by step directions on the fix and do it yourself. It will be much cheaper and very empowering to do it yourself!

gnomeflinger
01-04-2009, 03:50 PM
They're 21 dollars a month if you go through HP. You can't scrounge that up?

Not with my credit. :lol:

gnomeflinger
01-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Midnight's suggestion is great. Find easy step by step directions on the fix and do it yourself. It will be much cheaper and very empowering to do it yourself!

Yes, I suppose I could. Hmmm I'll have to look into that.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-04-2009, 04:00 PM
That sucks. I'm sorry Gnomey. They are cute laptops though. I'm mulling over whether or not I should get one. I'll be able to afford one, but it's more of a "want" than a need. They'd be cool to have, but honestly -- it's nothin' different than I have now -- newer stuff, but I haven't ever been on a computer with more than 512 MB of RAM as my own machine, so that'd be cool. Plus, I wouldn't use it to do hardcore stuff. Just would be real nice as a professional movin' forward. Those Netbooks are kewl ideas.

Midnight Blue
01-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Yes, I suppose I could. Hmmm I'll have to look into that.

The first thing to do is to Google the model numbers on your laptop... chances are that you can find a messageboard or webpage dealing with your particular machine... and can find info on things like how to take the keyboard loose.

From my experience, getting the old part de-soldered and loose from the circuit board was the hardest part. And when I put in the new DC jack, after it was re-soldered, I used my hot glue gun to solidify the new jack onto the board so that it had more than just the new solder supporting it. Another problem I encountered was that the removal of the keyboard disconnected both the keyboard and the mousepad... space can be kind of tight for re-connecting the "ribbons" and you may need some long tweezers to do it.

gnomeflinger
01-04-2009, 04:26 PM
I'd have to buy a soldering iron, then buy the part, and then not screw it all up. I think it would be more cost effective for me for someone else to do it. :lol:

Midnight Blue
01-04-2009, 04:30 PM
I'd have to buy a soldering iron, then buy the part, and then not screw it all up. I think it would be more cost effective for me for someone else to do it. :lol:

It can be kinda intimidating taking it all apart...and with small children in the house, those soldering irons get very, very hot.

Day1BroncoFan
01-04-2009, 04:58 PM
You can find someone that solders electrical stuff in your area, that's your best bet. Laptops can be a pain to get apart without breaking something on the case.

I think the idea of sending it to someone sucks from my point of view unless you take out the hard drive first, otherwise they have your data to look at and it may get lost or destroyed. Save it or keep the hard drive if you send it out.

If you pay the shipping and send me the part I'll fix it for you if it can be fixed. Sometimes the motherboard can be broken where the part solders on at. PM me if you want.

gnomeflinger
01-04-2009, 04:58 PM
It can be kinda intimidating taking it all apart...and with small children in the house, those soldering irons get very, very hot.

It's just going to have to be done by someone else. At least if they screw it up, I'm not out any more money.