PDA

View Full Version : So why did we trade Brandon Lloyd?

sneakers
11-01-2011, 03:48 PM
I don't really understand.

Ravage!!!
11-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Why not? He wanted a big contract extension that we weren't going to give him. The team is out of any kind of playoff hopes, and instead of letting him walk for nothing, we got what we could.

Plus, he probably was vocal in the locker room about the move to Tebow from Orton...... and we can now see why.

UnderArmour
11-01-2011, 03:50 PM
The coaching staff couldn't see him.

weazel
11-01-2011, 03:51 PM

he supposedly demanded a trade. I think his true personality came out... you know, the one that he had in San Fancisco.

yes I know Orton also demanded a trade... but if we only got a 5th for Lloyd, what you think we would have received for Orton?

NightTerror218
11-01-2011, 03:51 PM
He was a lockeroom liability and he wanted more then they offered and was going to be gone.

Buff
11-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Because talented offensive players have no place in this organization.

Cugel
11-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Lloyd was a veteran player who was in the last year of his contract and the Broncos were officially announced to the world "we're a rebuilding team" when they went to Tim Tebow. He wants to play for a team that HAS a QB to throw him the ball.

Talks about a contract extension between Lloyd and the Broncos broke down over Lloyd's contract demands to be paid like a #1 WR -- which he is.

He has 12 catches in his first 2 games and a TD so he will easily earn the Broncos that 5th round pick instead of running routes and watching Tebow throw the ball 10 feet over his head for 9 more games and then watching him walk away in FA. :coffee:

hotcarl
11-01-2011, 03:57 PM
because he sucks

NightTerror218
11-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Lloyd was a veteran player who was in the last year of his contract and the Broncos were officially announced to the world "we're a rebuilding team" when they went to Tim Tebow. He wants to play for a team that HAS a QB to throw him the ball.

Talks about a contract extension between Lloyd and the Broncos broke down over Lloyd's contract demands to be paid like a #1 WR -- which he is.

He has 12 catches in his first 2 games and a TD so he will easily earn the Broncos that 5th round pick instead of running routes and watching Tebow throw the ball 10 feet over his head for 9 more games and then watching him walk away in FA. :coffee:

Lets hope that 5th becomes another T. Davis.

Ravage!!!
11-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Lloyd came back down to reality in a hurry.

silkamilkamonico
11-01-2011, 04:34 PM
He realized he was playing for a directionless organization in Denver and wanted no part of it. Trade demanded.

Tned
11-01-2011, 04:42 PM

I'm sure you just accidentally left out the part about him requesting the trade a couple weeks before Tebow was named the starter and that he said his main issue was Fox's conservative gameplan which was not featuring the passing game, or him, like he would like.

sneakers
11-01-2011, 04:47 PM
So he is in his contract year, and he would dog it if he wasn't traded (so his numbers would look like crap in his contract year?) Logic doesn't enter into this situation.

I Eat Staples
11-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Lloyd was a one year wonder who wasn't going to re-sign with us for what we would be willing to pay him. Instead of losing him for nothing at the end of the year, we did the smart thing by getting some value for him.

We have several more important needs than WR. We can worry about signing a Brandon Lloyd when we fix the more important aspects of our team, like the QB position, lines and secondary. Our picks and money have to go to those areas right now.

I really don't think this FO has been doing nearly as bad a job as people say. Aside from retaining McCoy and not drafting a DT, I have no gripes with EFX. The only member of the FO that I don't like is Xanders, but unlike with McD, we have Fox who actually knows how to build a stable team. Xanders just has to handle contracts which he seems to do fine. Some of our draft picks (Moore) haven't looked too good so far, but they were all appropriate picks at the time. Unlike with McD, there were very few reaches.

Once we get a real OC and a franchise QB, I'll be satisfied with the direction of this team.

Ravage!!!
11-01-2011, 04:51 PM
So he is in his contract year, and he would dog it if he wasn't traded (so his numbers would look like crap in his contract year?) Logic doesn't enter into this situation.

I don't think anyone thinks he would "dog it." Lloyd knew that Tebow couldn't throw, Fox wasn't throwing the ball enough to begin with, and Lloyd is looking for a BIG contract extension at the end of the year... so his stats need to be higher. Denver wasn't going to give him that contract extension, and Lloyd was pretty vocal in the locker room about not liking the switch to Tebow.

So we have a player mouthing off about not liking the switch to a worse passer than Orton becuase it doesn't help his stats... playing for a team that knew they weren't going to sign him long-term anyway. He played WAYYY over his head for a single season, and is hoping to cash in on that. INstead of listening to his complaints for the rest of the year, and possibly hear him say something public to the media about his complaints... they traded him while they could and at least get something for him.

NightTerror218
11-01-2011, 04:57 PM
He was upset his "partner" was traded (Gaffney) so he could no longer say in bed say "Cant see me now" from behind

honz
11-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Lloyd came back down to reality in a hurry.

Um, he's still having a pretty good year with him having missed a game (or two?). Not as good as last year, but not too shabby either.

honz
11-01-2011, 05:08 PM
He was upset his "partner" was traded (Gaffney) so he could no longer say in bed say "Cant see me now" from behind

Hahahahahahahahahahaha I ******* love gay jokes, they make me so gay! Dumbass.

Fullback32
11-01-2011, 05:10 PM
One of the sports writers on NFL.com, can't remember who it was, also added that the Broncos wouldn't be willing to give him a huge contract because of his age. Not that 31 (by the start of next season) is all that old mind you.

BroncoNut
11-01-2011, 05:13 PM
he supposedly demanded a trade. I think his true personality came out... you know, the one that he had in San Fancisco.

yes I know Orton also demanded a trade... but if we only got a 5th for Lloyd, what you think we would have received for Orton?

you know, that's a bunch of cockypoo Weazle. He wanted more bank, .. who doesn't. His true personality,,.... my shriveled pimply dick

BroncoStud
11-01-2011, 05:13 PM
We should have kept him. He isn't a cancer like TO. He is just open with the media, which used to be considered a good thing.

He was by far the most talented WR on the roster and a playmaker. Now our shit QBs have one less target to throw to.

This franchise is an amateur mess. Elway is a rookie, Xanders sucks balls, Fox is antiquated and mediocre, and McCoy is a damn joke. My GOD what I wouldn't give to have Shanahan and Cutler back.

Fullback32
11-01-2011, 05:17 PM
My GOD what I wouldn't give to have Shanahan and Cutler back.

Yeah, but I honestly hope Shanny fails completely with the Washington Foreskins. I truly despise that team.

BroncoNut
11-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Yeah, but I honestly hope Shanny fails completely with the Washington Foreskins. I truly despise that team.

that's because you are a cowboy fan I bet. I live amongst them. them and Baltimore fans. I was a Baltimore fan last Sunday. so sue me. I wanted to watch a football game for a change.

NightTerror218
11-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahaha I ******* love gay jokes, they make me so gay! Dumbass.

He is no longer a bronco and I am bored so why should i care.

weazel
11-01-2011, 05:26 PM
you know, that's a bunch of cockypoo Weazle. He wanted more bank, .. who doesn't. His true personality,,.... my shriveled pimply dick

lol, hey I like Lloyd, still do. I think the guy is a really good receiver and we would be better off with him. Im jsut repeating what I have heard. His attitude has always been a problem, why do you think he's never lasted anywhere and never really made as big a splash as he should have.

honz
11-01-2011, 05:29 PM
He is no longer a bronco and I am bored so why should i care.
Because it's disrespectful maybe?

Ravage!!!
11-01-2011, 05:39 PM
He's come back down to reality. He's 31, not really ever being a top guy, and had one really good season out of 8. Doesn't make sense to give him big bank. If he was a complimentary player on a contending team, it would make sense to keep him. On this team, doesn't make much sense at all.

The Glue Factory
11-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Elway is a rookie,

No. There is absolutely nothing accurate about this statement!

Elway was controlling owner and CEO of the Colorado Crush. Bowlen was a minority owner of the Crush as well. After posting a 2-14 record in their first year they followed up as a perennial playoff team and winning the league in their third year. Mike Dailey replaced Bob Beers as HC the second year and remained HC until the league went belly up. From 2004 to 2009 they posted a 6-3 post season record.

Nothing in Elway's experience suggests he's a rookie to this level. He's new to the NFL on the operations side, but he knows what the heck is going on. Give Elway some time and he'll not only right this ship but get us back to annual playoff contention.

Lancane
11-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Brandon Lloyd was traded because the Broncos are in deep shit sort-to-speak.

Look at the number of underachievers Denver is paying right now at certain positions, Denver hasn't cleaned the roster because Fox said Denver didn't need to undergo a rebuild...they just needed to build, which is the dumbest F'n thing I've ever heard when you see the lack of talent the likes that this team has.

Lloyd wanted to make decent money before he was done in the league, Denver didn't offer it to him, he also wanted a trade because he felt that he was underutilized in Denver, watching Tebow and the offense in whole makes anyone realize what he meant when he said that. But he wanted Denver to get something instead of nothing, so at least we did get a fifth round pick. I know some people don't realize this...but it's hard to get compensatory picks, Denver hasn't had one in what feels like forever - goes to show the lack of talent we've had.

There is nothing wrong with the trade, the problem for me - is that I believe we should have traded more, we should have shipped off Dawkins (who will likely retire), Dumervil (underachiever), DJ Williams (solid but not great), and Royal (good at times but struggles).

Denver has so much work cut out for them, that bitching about Lloyd is sort of fruitless, he saw what was happening and wanted to move on...can't say I blame him one bit, and we're lucky to get something out of it.

Juriga72
11-01-2011, 06:56 PM

Wasn't he bitching about his "Throws" while Orton was our QB this year? Oh yeah he was.... hmmm maybe because our OC has OCD.....

NightTerror218
11-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Wasn't he bitching about his "Throws" while Orton was our QB this year? Oh yeah he was.... hmmm maybe because our OC has OCD.....

Maybe it was all the INTs he was throwing.

BORDERLINE
11-01-2011, 08:39 PM
We gave Lloyd away for nothing a fifth round pick is nothing. He should have commanded a 3rd round pick. His pro-bowl year warranted that regardless if he only had that one year. Who knows maybe after the end of the season he would have been more receptive to staying in Denver if other teams didn't want to pay him what he wanted. Look at Braylon Edwards he singed for only a million a year and he was supposed to command way more.

NameUsedBefore
11-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Technically, if the Rams let Lloyd hit free agency they will recoup a 5th round pick. Denver potentially did, literally, give Lloyd away for nothing.

I Eat Staples
11-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Technically, if the Rams let Lloyd hit free agency they will recoup a 5th round pick. Denver potentially did, literally, give Lloyd away for nothing.

Huh? Where did you hear that if they don't re-sign him we don't get anything?

BroncoStud
11-01-2011, 09:59 PM
No. There is absolutely nothing accurate about this statement!

Elway was controlling owner and CEO of the Colorado Crush. Bowlen was a minority owner of the Crush as well. After posting a 2-14 record in their first year they followed up as a perennial playoff team and winning the league in their third year. Mike Dailey replaced Bob Beers as HC the second year and remained HC until the league went belly up. From 2004 to 2009 they posted a 6-3 post season record.

Nothing in Elway's experience suggests he's a rookie to this level. He's new to the NFL on the operations side, but he knows what the heck is going on. Give Elway some time and he'll not only right this ship but get us back to annual playoff contention.

Colorado Crush ------- Denver Broncos

Isn't that sort of saying the same thing like Tebow's talent will translate from NCAA to NFL? He was good in college so he will be good in the pros... Right?

Elway is a rookie, spin it anyway you like, he's a rookie.

rcsodak
11-01-2011, 10:01 PM
I'm sure you just accidentally left out the part about him requesting the trade a couple weeks before Tebow was named the starter and that he said his main issue was Fox's conservative gameplan which was not featuring the passing game, or him, like he would like.

Link?

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

rcsodak
11-01-2011, 10:03 PM
I don't think anyone thinks he would "dog it." Lloyd knew that Tebow couldn't throw, Fox wasn't throwing the ball enough to begin with, and Lloyd is looking for a BIG contract extension at the end of the year... so his stats need to be higher. Denver wasn't going to give him that contract extension, and Lloyd was pretty vocal in the locker room about not liking the switch to Tebow.

So we have a player mouthing off about not liking the switch to a worse passer than Orton becuase it doesn't help his stats... playing for a team that knew they weren't going to sign him long-term anyway. He played WAYYY over his head for a single season, and is hoping to cash in on that. INstead of listening to his complaints for the rest of the year, and possibly hear him say something public to the media about his complaints... they traded him while they could and at least get something for him.
Link?

rcsodak
11-01-2011, 10:06 PM
lol, hey I like Lloyd, still do. I think the guy is a really good receiver and we would be better off with him. Im jsut repeating what I have heard. His attitude has always been a problem, why do you think he's never lasted anywhere and never really made as big a splash as he should have.
Listeen to his interviews. Politics played a large part.
Funny how players become cancers, 1yr wonders, etc, once they leave for greener pastures.

MOtorboat
11-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Link?

Link?

Pay attention.

rcsodak
11-01-2011, 10:10 PM
quit making shit up

:

chazoe60
11-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Funny how players become cancers, 1yr wonders, etc, once they leave for greener pastures.

Link?

TXBRONC
11-01-2011, 10:22 PM

Interesting. IIRC you were quick to call all the players that joshy jettisoned one year wonders and cancers.

Chidoze
11-01-2011, 10:34 PM
I think if the Broncos had offered him up sooner and let more interest build, they probably could have gotten a 3rd for Lloyd.

But it's water under the bridge at this point.

Who knows, we sucked with Lloyd, we suck major ass without him so it really makes no difference whether or not he is or isnt a Bronco.

Bronco4ever
11-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Who knows, we sucked with Lloyd, we suck major ass without him so it really makes no difference whether or not he is or isnt a Bronco.

It's interesting that every game we played with Lloyd this year, we lost. And we are 2-1 without him playing (He was injured when we beat Cincy week 2). Not saying that he didn't add something to this offense, but it seems funny that our W/L is better without him.

DenBronx
11-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Why did the Broncos trade Llyod?

To get to the other side.

cardoso
11-01-2011, 11:44 PM

For the same reason no team was willing to give up a 5th or 6th round pick for him. he's old, He's a szit talker, a cancer, a 9 year vet who's been cut twice and now traded twice who only has 1 year to show for his 9 year career. Get over it he's not this great WR that some make him out to be.

tomjonesrocks
11-02-2011, 01:17 AM
Because talented offensive players have no place in this organization.

:salute:

/thread

NameUsedBefore
11-02-2011, 02:04 AM
Huh? Where did you hear that if they don't re-sign him we don't get anything?

quit making shit up

Brandon Lloyd is currently a RFA.

If he walks, becoming an UFA, the Rams are most likely going to get compensation.

Like, 5-7th round type of compensation.

This is unlikely to happen, but I'm trying to illustrate the low-ball nature of this trade. Lloyd clearly was not happy in Denver, I think that is pretty clear by reading between the lines. No intention of playing. Okay. Well, St. Louis doesn't even have a receiver to its name. So one team is desperate and the other ambivalent. I'm not saying St. Louis would have given us something great, but anything would have been solid. If their offers still sucks, who cares. Let Lloyd walk in free agency and pick up the comp picks a year or two from now.

UnderArmour
11-02-2011, 07:44 AM

If he walks, becoming an UFA, the Rams are most likely going to get compensation.

This is unlikely to happen, but I'm trying to illustrate the low-ball nature of this trade. Lloyd clearly was not happy in Denver, I think that is pretty clear by reading between the lines. No intention of playing. Okay. Well, St. Louis doesn't even have a receiver to its name. So one team is desperate and the other ambivalent. I'm not saying St. Louis would have given us something great, but anything would have been solid. If their offers still sucks, who cares. Let Lloyd walk in free agency and pick up the comp picks a year or two from now.

What? Brandon Lloyd is not going to Restricted Free Agency: He is going to UNRESTRICTED free agency. He has more than 4 accrued league years therefore when the season is over, he'll be free to sign with any team. If we did not trade him the best we could get is a compensatory pick in the 2013 draft from his departure. It could have been a 3rd, it could have been a 4th, who knows? A high fifth round is pretty good value for Lloyd though considering what Tedd Ginn and Santonio Holmes went for a couple of years back. It certainly wasn't a bad trade from a pure value standpoint but as far as helping our team win and helping Tebow develop, it sucked.

LordTrychon
11-02-2011, 08:41 AM
Yeah, value of 2012 pick != value of 2013 pick.

MOtorboat
11-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Yeah, value of 2012 pick != value of 2013 pick.

Compensatory picks aren't guaranteed. This isn't baseball where they label Type A and Type B Free Agents and give out picks accordingly. The organization would have to lose more free agents than they signed, and looking at this roster, I'm pretty sure they won't be getting a whole lot of compensation, even if they had kept Lloyd.

The Glue Factory
11-02-2011, 12:57 PM

Isn't that sort of saying the same thing like Tebow's talent will translate from NCAA to NFL? He was good in college so he will be good in the pros... Right?

Elway is a rookie, spin it anyway you like, he's a rookie.

Let's see...

Colorado Crush = professional football team
Denver Broncos = professional football team

I suppose you could see the Crush as an amatuer organization that isn't in business to make money like the Broncos. If you want to ignore all the glaring similarities between the two and the incredible differences between college and pro football.

Elway is not a rookie, regardless of whatever facts you want to disregard. He has experience in a similar organization, a professional football team. Saying Elway is a rookie is like saying the ex-CEO of IBM is a rookie when he becomes CEO of Ford. You put forth a pretty lame case to support your position.

dogfish
11-02-2011, 05:58 PM

you meant this as a joke, right?

rcsodak
11-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Link?
hahahahaha! Good one.

I heard 2 separate interviews on Sirius NFL with him.

Guess you need to subscribe. ;')

rcsodak
11-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Interesting. IIRC you were quick to call all the players that joshy jettisoned one year wonders and cancers.
Link?

rcsodak
11-02-2011, 06:14 PM
For the same reason no team was willing to give up a 5th or 6th round pick for him. he's old, He's a szit talker, a cancer, a 9 year vet who's been cut twice and now traded twice who only has 1 year to show for his 9 year career. Get over it he's not this great WR that some make him out to be.

Abe lincoln repeatedly failed before becoming President.

I Eat Staples
11-02-2011, 07:00 PM

That isn't how comp picks work, and even if the Rams were awarded one, it wouldn't be taken away from us.

NameUsedBefore
11-02-2011, 11:20 PM
That isn't how comp picks work, and even if the Rams were awarded one, it wouldn't be taken away from us.

I'm not saying one would be taken away from us. I'm saying St. Louis could play Lloyd for this year, then end up recouping the pick, or close to it, if they let Lloyd walk. And, again, this is all unlikely, but it is an illustration of the low-ball nature of the trade. It's a trade Denver should have gotten a player for, but instead opted for the pick. In my opinion, they should have just kept him if that was the choice. St. Louis was the team desperate for a receiver, and Denver would be the team essentially without a receiver once he was gone. We should have plucked a defensive player from their roster; I bet just about any of them would have been fine given the quality of Denver's starting squad. I don't like this trade mostly because look at the receivers on this team, basically. There's virtually nobody out there right now.

I also, just inherently, do not trust the front office to have gotten the best deal. And, really, nobody should. They have proven to be very incompetent and just consistently get owned on trades of any kind. I don't see the slightest resemblance of an actual "plan" by the front office, either, much less the ability to move players around coherently.

BroncoStud
11-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Let's see...

Colorado Crush = professional football team
Denver Broncos = professional football team

I suppose you could see the Crush as an amatuer organization that isn't in business to make money like the Broncos. If you want to ignore all the glaring similarities between the two and the incredible differences between college and pro football.

Elway is not a rookie, regardless of whatever facts you want to disregard. He has experience in a similar organization, a professional football team. Saying Elway is a rookie is like saying the ex-CEO of IBM is a rookie when he becomes CEO of Ford. You put forth a pretty lame case to support your position.

Whatever...

The freaking Colorado Crush is NOTHING like working as an executive in the NFL. Not even close. You don't deal with Drew Rosenhaus in the Arena League. You don't deal with much other than guys getting paid $45,000/year to play some football. It isn't even CLOSE to being the same thing or the same level.

Elway is an NFL rookie, his Colorado Crush experience, while better than nothing, has no bearing on his task with the Denver Broncos. It's ridiculous to even attempt to claim that it does. It isn't even rational.

Ravage!!!
11-02-2011, 11:33 PM
College isn't the same as the NFL either, but yet we hire coaches from teh NCAA. Elway has been around the NFL, and involved in football, for a very long time. He's doing fine and I have absolutely NO worries about John's business acumen.