PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan in no rush to talk to other teams

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2009, 07:02 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_11362951?source=rss

Shanahan in no rush to talk to other teams

There were reports out of New York that former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan (how strange does that sound?) rebuffed the Jets.

It's more accurate to say Shanahan has put the Jets — and the two other teams with coaching vacancies, the Lions and Browns — on hold. Each of those teams has contacted Shanahan through his agent, but all conversations have ended there.

"I'm not going to do anything for two weeks," Shanahan said. "I think it's important to get away and make sure you have a clear mind before you start making any major decisions."

If teams still have a head coaching opening in mid-January, Shanahan will talk. Would it bother him if all the coaching vacancies are filled in two weeks?

"No," he said.

Dennison gets chance. No wonder Broncos owner Pat Bowlen sounded so confident he could replace Shanahan.

In comprising their short-list to replace Shanahan, the Broncos have gathered a Who's Who of head coaching candidates.

"By the way, this job here, this is a very highly thought of job," Bowlen said at his news conference Wednesday to formally announce Shanahan's firing. "And I expect we will get a very good head coach."

The candidate list officially expanded to five, unofficially to six, Saturday when the Broncos added one of their own, offensive coordinator Rick Dennison. And of all the big names on the Broncos' search list, no one may be better versed in all three phases of the game.

Dennison, 50, played linebacker for the Broncos from 1982-90, but has coached either special teams or offense since he first joined Shanahan's staff in 1995.

The Broncos' interview schedule is nearly set. It began Saturday evening when they met with New York Giants' defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo in the New York area. Spagnuolo is considered a leading candidate for both the Broncos and the Jets, who interviewed him Saturday afternoon.

The Broncos will meet today with New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels in Rhode Island. McDaniels is considered a longshot because he's a 32-year-old offensive play-caller, and the Broncos already have a 32-year-old offensive play-caller in Jeremy Bates, who has received a passionate endorsement from quarterback Jay Cutler.

On Wednesday, the Broncos will interview Dennison and Tampa Bay defensive coordinator Raheem Morris in Denver. Dallas Cowboys' offensive coordinator Jason Garrett will be interviewed some time next week.

What about Stoops? Not on the Broncos' interview list, at least not officially, is Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops. Although Stoops has drawn at least an infatuated interest from Bowlen, he may be too expensive given the Broncos' $21 million contractual obligation to Shanahan.

The Broncos are acknowledging Spagnuolo, Garrett, McDaniels, Morris and Dennison on their short list, but not Stoops, whose Sooners are preparing for the BCS championship against Florida on Thursday.

And Stoops isn't acknowledging the Broncos.

"That's a rumor that I haven't heard," Stoops said Saturday at his news conference. "No one has contacted me about that so I don't know anything about it. We're preparing for a national championship and that's all my focus and that's all my concentration is on. Obviously, I'm not a candidate or someone might have told me other than (the media)."

Easy on Elway. Minutes after Shanahan was dismissed, there were numerous reports speculating Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway would return to the Broncos, perhaps as their next general manager. Elway, though, was out of the country when Bowlen announced Shanahan's firing and, like everyone else, was surprised by the move.

As of Friday, Elway had yet to speak with Bowlen. That doesn't mean Bowlen won't yet offer Elway a front-office position. But it also means Bowlen has yet to give it much thought.

Mike Klis, The Denver Post

OrangeHoof
01-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Some thoughts:

Shanahan can afford to wait for just the right situation to come up. He's under no pressure to make a deal this winter. A year off from the grind might do him good.

I think the next Bronco coach needs to be a defensive guy. The offense, when healthy, is very good and ought to continue to be without Shanny for at least a couple of seasons. The defense, on the other hand, just flat out sucks and needs an overhaul. If I were interviewing prospective head coaches for the Broncos, my first question would be "how would you plan to fix our defense?".

Stoops has a clause in his contract (so does Mack Brown) where he gets a huge wad of money for simply NOT breaking his contract before it runs out. Unless Stoops' ego is so huge that he needs the challenge of being an NFL head coach (what I call "Spurrier Disease"), he's not going to leave Oklahoma.

I don't think money will be a factor for Bowlen. There's no salary cap for coaching staffs, only players. If he wants to pay megamillions for Shanahan and Stoops or Shanahan and Cowher, for example, there's nothing to stop him.

Italianmobstr7
01-03-2009, 08:06 PM
On "Football Night in America" before the Chargers-Colts game Peter King said that he talked to Shanny yesterday and that Shanny will not coach this year unless the "perfect" situation comes along. He said that Shanny is content to sit out until 2010. If that's the case there might be 4 of the best coaches of all time available in 2010. Shanny, Holmgren, Dungy, Cowher.

That's what Peter King just said. Personally I don't think Dungy will be free, but the others will probably be wanting to coach.

He also said that Dallas and Washington will try to snag up 2 of those coaches.

Tned
01-03-2009, 08:27 PM
On "Football Night in America" before the Chargers-Colts game Peter King said that he talked to Shanny yesterday and that Shanny will not coach this year unless the "perfect" situation comes along. He said that Shanny is content to sit out until 2010. If that's the case there might be 4 of the best coaches of all time available in 2010. Shanny, Holmgren, Dungy, Cowher.

That's what Peter King just said. Personally I don't think Dungy will be free, but the others will probably be wanting to coach.

Earlier today I saw an interview with Dungy and he said if he retires, it will be for good, not for a year or two.

OrangeHoof
01-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Earlier today I saw an interview with Dungy and he said if he retires, it will be for good, not for a year or two.

Some coaches say that but then can't find anything with the juice of being an NFL head coach. When Cowher left the Steelers, he made it sound like he was done. Now, he seems to want back in. Guys like Parcells tried to quit and then found they just kept making him better offers until they got him.

Dungy seems to me like an honest and ethical guy but there have been many before him that claimed they were done with the NFL only to come back.

Tned
01-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Some coaches say that but then can't find anything with the juice of being an NFL head coach. When Cowher left the Steelers, he made it sound like he was done. Now, he seems to want back in. Guys like Parcells tried to quit and then found they just kept making him better offers until they got him.

Dungy seems to me like an honest and ethical guy but there have been many before him that claimed they were done with the NFL only to come back.

I understand, many do that. Time will tell, but he says the reason he says that he wants to be sure, but once he is, he has other things (in the community) that he wants to do.

However, I agree. Many coaches have said something similar, only to be back a year or two later.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2009, 08:39 PM

I also heard that. Do you think what Mike meant, without wanting to say it, is that he is not interested in going where the coaching jobs are open right now? I wonder if he would have the same attitude if other jobs opened shortly - Dallas for one. Or he could really be serious. His new house will be finished, which means they could totally get settled in it, plus just relax this coming year.

Tned
01-03-2009, 08:44 PM
I also heard that. Do you think what Mike meant, without wanting to say it, is that he is not interested in going where the coaching jobs are open right now? I wonder if he would have the same attitude if other jobs opened shortly - Dallas for one. Or he could really be serious. His new house will be finished, which means they could totally get settled in it, plus just relax this coming year.

Rotoworld's thought, based on the King interview:

Mike Shanahan told SI's Peter King that he's unlikely to return to the NFL sidelines in 2009.

"Unless there's a perfect situation out there, I'd rather sit out the year and return next year." That situation could arise if Washington, Dallas, San Diego, or Tampa declares a late firing, but for now it looks like Shanny will take 2009 off. Detroit, Cleveland, and Kansas City just aren't enticing enough.