PDA

View Full Version : Stoops has no interest in Broncos job (Thank God)

Italianmobstr7
01-03-2009, 05:07 PM
ESPN is reporting that Bob Stoops has no interest in coaching the Denver Broncos. I'm very thankful for that. I'm not knocking Bob Stoops personally, I just wouldn't be happy with ANY college coach taking over our team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls08/news/story?id=3807860

MIAMI SHORES, Fla. -- Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said Saturday he has not been contacted by the Denver Broncos about their head coaching position and he has no interest in the job.

"That's a rumor I haven't heard and nobody contacted me about that," Stoops said. "I don't know anything about it. I'm preparing for a national championship and that's where all my focus and concentrations are."

Stoops, 48, made his comments after his team's workout Saturday afternoon at Barry University. The Sooners will meet Florida in the FedEx BCS National Championship Game Thursday night.

Speculation on Stoops came shortly after Mike Shanahan was fired last week. Stoops had visited the Broncos training camp in 2006 where he first met with Broncos owner Pat Bowlen, who graduated from Oklahoma with degrees in business and law.

"Obviously, I'm not a candidate and I'm sure somebody might have told me about that other than you guys," Stoops said. "That's not something I'm concerned about whatsoever. It's a great organization but I'm not a candidate for it."

Stoops said he is not concerned about the timing of the story affecting his team's focus for Thursday's game.

"I don't know why, because there's no story," Stoops said. "This is the first I heard of it."

Several Oklahoma players mentioned earlier in the day that they had seen stories that linked their coach with the NFL job, although Stoops said he hadn't talked to them about the reports.

"I guess I have to get back and watch TV," Stoops said. "I hadn't watched [reports] and didn't realize it was something I needed to do. My guys know that there's a lot of things said about me that's not true. I guess I'll have to deal with rumors. But it won't take long."After the Sooners victory in the 2001 Orange Bowl, Stoops was mentioned for the then-vacant Cleveland Browns' head coaching job.

Stoops left open the possibility of taking a job in the NFL, saying Saturday that coaching in the league might intrigue him some day.

"At some point in my career, that might be the case," Stoops said. "Everybody wants you to tell them what you'll do in 10 years from now. Who knows? I don't know."

Scarface
01-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Of course Nick Saban had no interest in returning to college either. Man I hope we don't hire Stoops.

broken12
01-03-2009, 05:21 PM
great news, stoops has had good defensive players but never good defense i would be freakin pissed if he was our coach! i would have more patient with a spag or morris type but if stoops came in i would lose it!

Lonestar
01-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Please Pat NO college coaches they flat do not work out.. for every Jimmy Johnson there seems to be hundreds of others that did not Make it..

Tned
01-03-2009, 05:25 PM
As "no interest" statements go, that was fairly carefully worded. What he really said was he was not contacted and therefore is not a candidate. Unless I missed it, I didn't see him say he wouldn't be interested if contacted.

That is worded like someone that hasn't made up his mind about running for president, or someone that deflects a question about being the VP candidate, because s/he hasn't been asked yet.

Sounds like someone trying to keep his team focused.

Having said all that, I sure hope the Broncos don't contact him.

Northman
01-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Stoops would be an idiot to leave Oklahoma. Guys like him and Carroll have it made at their respective colleges so why ruin a good thing? I dont see him coming here.

Italianmobstr7
01-03-2009, 05:47 PM
As "no interest" statements go, that was fairly carefully worded. What he really said was he was not contacted and therefore is not a candidate. Unless I missed it, I didn't see him say he wouldn't be interested if contacted.

That is worded like someone that hasn't made up his mind about running for president, or someone that deflects a question about being the VP candidate, because s/he hasn't been asked yet.

I just copied and pasted the ESPN link. It's word for word. I agree with you though. It doesn't say anywhere that he's not interested, just says that he hasn't been contacted. I hope that we don't even waste our time. It would be great to just get Spags in here ASAP.

BroncoWave
01-03-2009, 05:55 PM
I just copied and pasted the ESPN link. It's word for word. I agree with you though. It doesn't say anywhere that he's not interested, just says that he hasn't been contacted. I hope that we don't even waste our time. It would be great to just get Spags in here ASAP.

So you'd rather us not interview as many candidates as possible? :confused:

What if the Spags thing doesn't work out? You have to have contingency plans. And I really don't think that Stoops would be as horrible as some of you think.

Tned
01-03-2009, 05:57 PM
So you'd rather us not interview as many candidates as possible? :confused:

What if the Spags thing doesn't work out? You have to have contingency plans. And I really don't think that Stoops would be as horrible as some of you think.

He might be great, it's just that the recent history of 'great' college coaches completely failing in the NFL is going to have most fans leary of him coming in as HC.

BroncoWave
01-03-2009, 05:59 PM
He might be great, it's just that the recent history of 'great' college coaches completely failing in the NFL is going to have most fans leary of him coming in as HC.

That doesn't mean that Stoops doesn't at least deserve an interview. I'm just as much for Spags being our next coach as anyone but in the case that that doesn't work out, we should have as many other options as possible.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-03-2009, 06:06 PM
eh...was likely never a candidate to begin with.

TXBRONC
01-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Stoops is a terrific college coach but I'm not sure he's cut out for the NFL.

TXBRONC
01-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Please Pat NO college coaches they flat do not work out.. for every Jimmy Johnson there seems to be hundreds of others that did not Make it..

Agreed most college coaches are not suited for the NFL.

OrangeHoof
01-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Stoops is NOT going to say he's interested when he has a National Championship game to coach this week and a recruiting season to wrap up in a month. He's not an idiot. I'm sure there is an understanding on the Broncos' part they wouldn't even try to approach him until Friday at the earliest.

As a Longhorn fan, I'd love to see him leave the Sooners but, as a Bronco fan, I don't want to have him in Denver choking on the Big One as he does in Norman.

Tned
01-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Stoops is NOT going to say he's interested when he has a National Championship game to coach this week and a recruiting season to wrap up in a month. He's not an idiot. I'm sure there is an understanding on the Broncos' part they wouldn't even try to approach him until Friday at the earliest.

As a Longhorn fan, I'd love to see him leave the Sooners but, as a Bronco fan, I don't want to have him in Denver choking on the Big One as he does in Norman.

Exactly, whether there is interest or not (by either party), it woud have to be handled carefully.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Stoops is a loser. I hate the Sooners. Screw Booma Soona nation. Good.

Tned
01-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Stoops is a loser. I hate the Sooners. Screw Booma Soona nation. Good.

I don't really follow the NCAA, but isn't he playing for a national championship or something? :confused: Loser?

honz
01-03-2009, 07:43 PM
stoops is a loser. I hate the sooners. Screw booma soona nation. Good.

fail.

Watchthemiddle
01-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Stoops has a good thing going in OK. I would hate to see his ego get in teh way of that and ruin our team here.

I think some coaches are good for college, and some are good for the NFL. Just because you succeed at one, doesn't mean you will be successful at the other. See: Carroll, Saban, and Spurrier

TXBRONC
01-03-2009, 07:46 PM
I don't really follow the NCAA, but isn't he playing for a national championship or something? :confused: Loser?

Yeah I'm not a fan of the Stoops or the Sooners but he is by no means a loser.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-03-2009, 07:49 PM
He is in my book.

Broncolingus
01-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Stoops has no interest in Broncos job (Thank God)

...thank God.

Was this dude really on anyone's wish list?

If so, they need to be punked...

Slick
01-03-2009, 08:01 PM
He is in my book.

He turned around that program though Dream. OU was getting beat by Colorado, Iowa ST and KState before he resurrected that program. Like him or not, he's a fine college coach. That being said, I hope he stays where he is.

Tned
01-03-2009, 08:01 PM
He is in my book.

lol, sounds like you might need a new 'author' for your book. ;)

Requiem / The Dagda
01-03-2009, 08:15 PM
lol, sounds like you might need a new 'author' for your book. ;)

Yeah, makes a whole lot of sense. Have someone else author a book of my own. Good one. Not.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-03-2009, 08:15 PM
He turned around that program though Dream. OU was getting beat by Colorado, Iowa ST and KState before he resurrected that program. Like him or not, he's a fine college coach. That being said, I hope he stays where he is.

I hate OU. Enough said.

OrangeHoof
01-03-2009, 08:41 PM
One national championship, three other national championship game appearances. I could get used to the Broncos "losing" like that.

TXBRONC
01-03-2009, 08:54 PM
One national championship, three other national championship game appearances. I could get used to the Broncos "losing" like that.

That's great for college football but doesn't mean he's suited to coach at the pro level.

nj10
01-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Thank God!

TXBRONC
01-03-2009, 11:40 PM
I hate OU. Enough said.

That's fine but it doesn't mean Stoops sucks as a head coach.

slim
01-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Thank God...Stoops is no beuno.

NightTrainLayne
01-04-2009, 12:24 AM

Tned, I have to agree with you. This statement actually increased my anxiety that Stoops might come here. That statement was parsed VERY well, and for him to say that he hadn't heard it at all. . ..well we know that's a. . .shall we say, "stretch"?

weazel
01-04-2009, 02:04 AM
Stoops?

He has no interest? he has no interest because Denver hasn't shown interest in him. What a jack ass.

BroncoWave
01-04-2009, 02:06 AM
Stoops?

He has no interest? he has no interest because Denver hasn't shown interest in him. What a jack ass.

I think Denver has a strong interest. I would bet money that we interview him after the national championship game.

Shazam!
01-04-2009, 02:30 AM
I'd much rather have Dennison than Stoops. Ugh.

weazel
01-04-2009, 02:30 AM
Lets hope not. I'd rather have Ryan Leaf as the coach. At least Ryan sells his players drugs! sorry, had to make fun of Ryan.

OB
01-04-2009, 12:28 PM
ESPN is reporting that Bob Stoops has no interest in coaching the Denver Broncos. I'm very thankful for that. I'm not knocking Bob Stoops personally, I just wouldn't be happy with ANY college coach taking over our team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls08/news/story?id=3807860

MIAMI SHORES, Fla. -- Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said Saturday he has not been contacted by the Denver Broncos about their head coaching position and he has no interest in the job.

"That's a rumor I haven't heard and nobody contacted me about that," Stoops said. "I don't know anything about it. I'm preparing for a national championship and that's where all my focus and concentrations are."

Stoops, 48, made his comments after his team's workout Saturday afternoon at Barry University. The Sooners will meet Florida in the FedEx BCS National Championship Game Thursday night.

Speculation on Stoops came shortly after Mike Shanahan was fired last week. Stoops had visited the Broncos training camp in 2006 where he first met with Broncos owner Pat Bowlen, who graduated from Oklahoma with degrees in business and law.

"Obviously, I'm not a candidate and I'm sure somebody might have told me about that other than you guys," Stoops said. "That's not something I'm concerned about whatsoever. It's a great organization but I'm not a candidate for it."

Stoops said he is not concerned about the timing of the story affecting his team's focus for Thursday's game.

"I don't know why, because there's no story," Stoops said. "This is the first I heard of it."

Several Oklahoma players mentioned earlier in the day that they had seen stories that linked their coach with the NFL job, although Stoops said he hadn't talked to them about the reports.

"I guess I have to get back and watch TV," Stoops said. "I hadn't watched [reports] and didn't realize it was something I needed to do. My guys know that there's a lot of things said about me that's not true. I guess I'll have to deal with rumors. But it won't take long."After the Sooners victory in the 2001 Orange Bowl, Stoops was mentioned for the then-vacant Cleveland Browns' head coaching job.

Stoops left open the possibility of taking a job in the NFL, saying Saturday that coaching in the league might intrigue him some day.

"At some point in my career, that might be the case," Stoops said. "Everybody wants you to tell them what you'll do in 10 years from now. Who knows? I don't know."

no way stoops leaves oklahoma - he is a god here who makes tons of money and can basically do and say what he please with no backlash - the media loves him to death - OK loves him - he gets the best players coming to him - players arent over paid whiney ass cry babies - they are kids that have to listen - why leave that for a 500 team with very big expectations ASAP - would be silly

plus im glad too - im with IM - i dont want a college coach - i esp. did not want stoops

BroncoWave
01-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Also, when you look at other college coaches who failed, alot of them stepped into BAD situations. Petrino when to a Falcons team in dissarray, Saban went to an awful Dolphins team, and Spurrier went to a bad Redskins team. Stoops would be stepping into a pretty talented team and if we pick a good GM who can build the defense, I think Stoops could do a pretty good job.