PDA

View Full Version : What if Dungy Retires?

Tned
01-03-2009, 02:53 PM
They were talking about the fact that there is a fairly real chance that if the Colts lose, that Dungy could retire.

So, do the Colts go to one of their coordinators, or do they consider Shanahan?

Italianmobstr7
01-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Dungy might retire regardless of the outcome. The past 3 years he's said that he's thinking of retiring, and that once he does, he won't ever come back. I doubt the Colts would hire Shanahan. They would probably give the reins to Tom Moore, their OC.

G_Money
01-03-2009, 03:06 PM
They've always said the QB coach is taking over the team when Dungy retires. I dunno why they'd change their minds now. I'm sure Shanahan would love to take over that team, but I don't see it in the cards - it'd create a lot of bad will amongst the team as that particular line of succession has already been laid out.

~G

Broncospsycho77
01-03-2009, 03:09 PM
The Colts have one of those "coaches in waiting" deals, IIRC. Jim Caldwell is set to succeed Dungy upon his retirement.

Dungy considering retirement again
Colts Defense - TM - IND - Jan. 3 - 9:03 am et

According to ESPN's Ed Werder, Colts coach Tony Dungy intends once again to spend the first full week of his offseason deciding whether to return or retire from the NFL.
Dungy has taken the same approach the past four years. He expects that when he leaves the NFL, he will be done for good. The Colts have quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell lined up as the eventual successor should Dungy decide to call it a career after the playoffs. Jan. 3 - 9:03 am et

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=1542&line=137126&spln=1

topscribe
01-03-2009, 03:09 PM
They've always said the QB coach is taking over the team when Dungy retires. I dunno why they'd change their minds now. I'm sure Shanahan would love to take over that team, but I don't see it in the cards - it'd create a lot of bad will amongst the team as that particular line of succession has already been laid out.

~G

But then, we didn't see Shanny's termination in the cards, either, did we?

-----

Northman
01-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Shanahan would love that.

G_Money
01-03-2009, 03:13 PM
But then, we didn't see Shanny's termination in the cards, either, did we?

-----

Caldwell is their Gary Kubiak.

Would we have wanted Kubiak to take over for Shanny, or would we have wanted Mike Holmgren to come in?

I think the situation in Indy would be perfect for Shanny, but I don't think it happens because the team has already been prepped for a different direction.

Still, stranger things have happened. We fired our coach for life, as you say.

~G

TXBRONC
01-03-2009, 03:18 PM
If Dungy were to retire and the Colts offered him the job I couldn't see him turning it down. That being said, it sounds like the Colts have their contingency plan in place when Dungy does decide to retire.

Tned
01-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Caldwell is their Gary Kubiak.

Would we have wanted Kubiak to take over for Shanny, or would we have wanted Mike Holmgren to come in?

I think the situation in Indy would be perfect for Shanny, but I don't think it happens because the team has already been prepped for a different direction.

Still, stranger things have happened. We fired our coach for life, as you say.

~G

Caldwell might very well be their guy.

As to the Kubiak thing. I think looking back now, most people would answer Kubiak. However, in Kubiak's final year, most fans I saw posting still believed that Shanahan ran the offense and that Kubiak was not a big loss. When Heimerdinger came on board for 2006 and the offense was horrid, then fans that said, "It's Shanahan's offense, not Kubiak's" all of a sudden were singing a different tune.

So, back at the end of 2005, I think most fans would have opted for Holmgren.

G_Money
01-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Like I said, the lens of hindsight sometimes gives better answers than the heat of the moment. We're not making the call about Gary's worth to this offense from a 2005 viewpoint. I'm just saying that if Shanahan said he was gonna retire after the AFC Championship game and Pat had already said during the season that Kubes was gonna be the next guy, then some players would be pretty bent about Holmgren coming in. It might still be the right move, as maybe Holmgren would win championships as Shanny could do in Indy. But that doesn't mean ownership would go back on their word to find out. Dungy's coaches won a title far more recently than Shanahan's, and there's still a lot of goodwill there.

~G

PS - we're talking about Kubiak in too many threads. I'm getting muddled. ;)

Tned
01-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Like I said, the lens of hindsight sometimes gives better answers than the heat of the moment. We're not making the call about Gary's worth to this offense from a 2005 viewpoint. I'm just saying that if Shanahan said he was gonna retire after the AFC Championship game and Pat had already said during the season that Kubes was gonna be the next guy, then some players would be pretty bent about Holmgren coming in. It might still be the right move, as maybe Holmgren would win championships as Shanny could do in Indy. But that doesn't mean ownership would go back on their word to find out. Dungy's coaches won a title far more recently than Shanahan's, and there's still a lot of goodwill there.

~G

PS - we're talking about Kubiak in too many threads. I'm getting muddled. ;)

I don't think the Kubiak '05/Colts '08 is a good comparison, since as you have said, the Colts have won more recently, and they are closer to being 'on top' of the AFC. The fans and media were already starting to get rabid with the Broncos and the coaching staff in '05.

However, I have no doubt that the fans and media are far more enamored with Kubiak since he left, then when he was here, when he was considered Shanahan's sidekick, not the guy that ran the offense.

Scarface
01-03-2009, 04:25 PM
They'd be dumb not to consider Shanahan. I'm sure Pey Pey wouldn't be too happy if they passed on hiring him.

UnderArmour
01-03-2009, 04:37 PM
There is absolutely nothing to discuss here. If Dungy retires Caldwell is the guy, he's been tagged as the Head Coach in waiting. There is no interviewing process, Caldwell just takes over. Shanahan will not coach the Colts next year, period.

rcsodak
01-03-2009, 04:37 PM
They were talking about the fact that there is a fairly real chance that if the Colts lose, that Dungy could retire.

So, do the Colts go to one of their coordinators, or do they consider Shanahan?

They already have a "HC in waiting". Geez, tned...don't you keep up-to-date on the NFL? :laugh:

Tned
01-03-2009, 05:38 PM
They already have a "HC in waiting". Geez, tned...don't you keep up-to-date on the NFL? :laugh:

Nothing is certain in this league.

Dean
01-04-2009, 08:03 AM
Well Tned the first step has occered. The Colts lost.

If Dungy is going to do something, I would assume he wouldn't wait for too long out of resect for the organization.

dogfish
01-04-2009, 09:21 AM
They'd be dumb not to consider Shanahan. I'm sure Pey Pey wouldn't be too happy if they passed on hiring him.

what does manning care? he already thinks HE'S the coach of that team. . . . :laugh:

if the established dungy leaves and a first-timer takes over, PAYton can have even more juice. . . he's been calling their plays (out of two that the OC sends in to him, but he can audible to whatever he wants) for years, i can't see him wanting them to bring in a big-name coach like shanahan that might try to change up his comfy little system. . . that front office does whatever it takes to keep their boy happy, and you can bet the arrangement with caldwell got manning's stamp of approval. . . with polished assistants like tom moore and howard mudd, their offensive identity has been in place for years and won't miss a beat without dungy-- they don't need shanahan in indy. . . .

lex
01-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Isnt Caldwell the coach in waiting?

Bronco9798
01-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Shanahan wouldn't want to coach the Colts with a veteran QB. Sounds funny, but he probably wants to take a team that has a young QB that he can groom to win a SB with his offense. The offense would stay in tact with Peyton there and Shanny would be riding the coat tails of Peyton.

You take a guy like Romo in Dallas that hasn't won anything and Shanny could get the credit for turning the guys career around and getting the team to the Super Bowl.

I'm pretty sure Shanny will coach somewhere that he can get the credit and feel good about doing things his way. A place like Indy is the worst place for a guy like Shanny to coach.

BroncoJoe
01-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Shanahan wouldn't want to coach the Colts with a veteran QB. Sounds funny, but he probably wants to take a team that has a young QB that he can groom to win a SB with his offense. The offense would stay in tact with Peyton there and Shanny would be riding the coat tails of Peyton.

You take a guy like Romo in Dallas that hasn't won anything and Shanny could get the credit for turning the guys career around and getting the team to the Super Bowl.

I'm pretty sure Shanny will coach somewhere that he can get the credit and feel good about doing things his way. A place like Indy is the worst place for a guy like Shanny to coach.

I agree. He already fights the Elway label. Doesn't want that again.

topscribe
01-04-2009, 11:19 AM

I don't believe it would bother Shanny in the least to work with Peyton.
This is a QB who has won a SB and could go there again. Shanny has
worked with Montana, Young, Elway, and Cutler. You don't think Peyton
would bother him, do you? Shanny is more about winning a Super Bowl than
he is grooming somebody, so I would think he might jump at Peyton.

We'll see . . .

-----

Bronco9798
01-04-2009, 11:26 AM

We'll see . . .

-----

I just wrote what I think. That was a younger Shanahan that worked with those guys. Totally different situation now. I just think he wants to work with a younger QB and not a future HOF'er as it stands now.

topscribe
01-04-2009, 11:28 AM
I just wrote what I think. That was a younger Shanahan that worked with those guys. Totally different situation now. I just think he wants to work with a younger QB and not a future HOF'er as it stands now.

You could well be right. :whoknows:

Shanny has always been a teacher.

-----

Bronco9798
01-04-2009, 11:40 AM
You could well be right. :whoknows:

Shanny has always been a teacher.

-----

It only makes sense that a team with a veteran like Peyton would stay in house with a coaching change. Until Peyton retires things would stay the same with the offense until he left. A coach like Shanny wants to use their own philosophies and schemes.

pnbronco
01-04-2009, 11:42 AM
I didn't know anything about Caldwell so I looked him up on the Colts web site and this is the first paragraph. It seems like he really is in place. I don't remember hearing that title before, but I only follow the Broncos in football.

Jim Caldwell enters his first season as associate head coach of the Colts. Caldwell was promoted to the position on January 21, 2008. Caldwell has served with Indianapolis for the past six seasons. He spent the first three seasons as quarterbacks coach before earning the expanded title of assistant head coach prior to the 2005 season.

Superchop 7
01-04-2009, 06:18 PM
The world as we know it will end.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-04-2009, 08:26 PM

We'll see . . .

-----

As a side note - when Rod Mackey was doing the sports on Channel 9 between 5 - 6 tonight, he said that Peyton called Mike after Mike was let go!

DenBronx
01-04-2009, 08:51 PM
As a side note - when Rod Mackey was doing the sports on Channel 9 between 5 - 6 tonight, he said that Peyton called Mike after Mike was let go!

if peyton wants mike im sure the colts will consider mike. this would be the best situation for mike if you think about it. peyton still has alot let to give and he is one the top tier qb's in this league. dungy does not have the offensive mind that shanahan has, no where near it.

jerry jones in dallas would always be breathing down the neck of coach shanahan. something im not so sure he would like. but man it would suck if we met them in the playoffs and went one and done like we have so many years.

topscribe
01-04-2009, 09:00 PM

Wow! Bombshell! :shocked:

Well, I'm not sure what that means, but that doesn't seem very normal.

I really hope Shanny goes to work in the NFC. The last thing the Broncos need
is for him to take over a team such as Indy's, which is this close and has a
Peyton Manning at QB.

-----

DenBronx
01-04-2009, 09:04 PM

Peyton Manning at QB.

-----

eh, who cares?

we'll smash his little face with our 'orange crush' turnover machine.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-04-2009, 09:07 PM

Peyton Manning at QB.

-----

Possibly Dungy confided in Peyton that this would be his last year, and Peyton wanted to let Mike know that he would like him as the coach in Indy, or, since Mike has been saying that he would like to take off a year, possibly Peyton suggested that Mike could be Indy's coach after next year (that Dungy will be there one more year) - WHO KNOWS???