PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan to Dallas.........?

WARHORSE
01-03-2009, 01:38 PM
SHANAHAN TO DALLAS? (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/03/shanahan-to-dallas/)

Posted by Mike Florio on January 3, 2009, 11:46 a.m.
Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is get “angrier by the minute” in the wake of his team’s season-ending thumping at Philly on December 28.
And Mort suggests that Jones could ultimately go back on his vow not to fire coach Wade Phillips (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/26/jones-reiterates-that-wade-wont-go/).
By hiring former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan.
Mort says that Jones has been thinking about pursuing Shanahan, more than Jones ever thought about chasing Bill Cowher or Mike Holmgren.
One big factor weighing in Shanahan’s favor is that he won’t need a huge contract over the next three years, since he’s guaranteed to receive a total of $21 million from the Broncos.
Don’t underestimate the financial aspect of the situation. We’ve got a feeling that Jones is getting stretched pretty thin as he prepares to enter a $1.1 billion stadium in a bad economy that has featured the disappearance of much wealth, especially among those who are very wealthy. The last thing he wants to do is hire a guy like Cowher, who’ll want upwards of $10 million per year.
Mort says that some view Shanahan as an ideal fit for quarterback (http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/#) Tony Romo, who has shown flashes of brilliance but who tends to gag at inopportune moments.
It’s possible that, if Shanahan comes to Dallas, Phillips could stay as the defensive coordinator.
The urgency to chase Shanahan could increase, if current offensive coordinator Jason Garrett lands a head coaching job with another team.
Shanahan is also regarded as a candidate for vacancies in Cleveland, and with the Jets.

WARHORSE
01-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Didnt see the article posted yet.

But it sure makes sense.

Hobe
01-03-2009, 01:51 PM
A rather diverse group of football fan at work (I am charitably including faiders fan in this group. ;)) have come to the collective conclusion that Dallas will be the one.

unfortunately, the agreed second is KC as GM and HC.

Third place is that he spends the next year pestering the constuction guys at his giant new home and being a talking head for some TV sports bunch.

TXBRONC
01-03-2009, 02:23 PM
I don't think Shanahan would be a good fit in Dallas, because Jones is always interfering wussbags like TO cry Jerry always sides with players. Shanahan going to Dallas would be close to same situation he was in with the Raiders.

jrelway
01-03-2009, 02:27 PM
i would love to see shanny go to dallas..and with his first coaching move...cut that biotch T.O. shanny would make romo that much better, and hed probably get a hard on knowing he has barber, felix jones, and tashard choice.

girler
01-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Poor Wade. :tsk: :tongue:

Tned
01-03-2009, 02:34 PM
A number of us have been saying that Dallas makes the most sense in '09, possibly SD (I hope not), but I am not sure about this contract stuff. I was under the impression, and everything reported to date, indicates that if Shanahan gets a job, then Bowlen is off the hook.

Maybe, the contract is such that Bowlen has to pay the difference between what Shanahan makes at a new job and the $7 million a year on his contract. This is just a pure guess on my part based on what was posted above.

Shazam!
01-03-2009, 02:35 PM
If Shanahan went to Dallas, he'd be going to a team with much more talent than Denver has now (RB, Defense) and had when he arrived in 1995. The pieces are already in place.

If he goes to Dallas and wins there, I don't want to hear 'See what we lost?' crap, because that just isn't true. Dallas is loaded.

BroncoJoe
01-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Well, at least you got the title right...

:heh:

silkamilkamonico
01-03-2009, 02:48 PM
I don't think Shanahan would be a good fit in Dallas, because Jones is always interfering wussbags like TO cry Jerry always sides with players. Shanahan going to Dallas would be close to same situation he was in with the Raiders.

Shanahan needs that though. Jones would most definitely lay off to get a head coach the caliber of Shanahan though.

SM19
01-03-2009, 02:49 PM
It's a little hard to imagine Shanahan putting up with Jerry Jones, who we all know has a history of meddling with personnel decisions. Shanahan's concerns about Jones might be offset by the talent he'll be inheriting, though.

TXBRONC
01-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Shanahan needs that though. Jones would most definitely lay off to get a head coach the caliber of Shanahan though.

There is no coach that needs to have a meddling owner.

silkamilkamonico
01-03-2009, 02:55 PM
There is no coach that needs to have meddling owner.

If the owner saves the coach from himself, it isn't a bad idea.

Tned
01-03-2009, 02:56 PM
There is no coach that needs to have meddling owner.

It's their money. In the case of Dallas, the owner is the GM (not sure if that is his exact title, but it is close). He makes no bones about the fact that he is the head of the Dallas front office.

Tned
01-03-2009, 03:02 PM
On Rotoworld, per NFL.com:

Citing a team source, NFL.com's Adam Schefter reports that the Cowboys will not make a run at Mike Shanahan this offseason.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen suggested that Jerry Jones has grown less inclined to keep Wade Phillips recently, but Schefter says Jones won't pursue Shanny unless he's still available in 2010. Hiring Shanahan this year could not only cost the Cowboys Phillips, who Jones is loyal to, but OC Jason Garrett, who's drawing a lot of interest from teams with head-coaching vacancies.

G_Money
01-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Now that he's turned down the Jets, I'm thinking Washington next year after Zorn flops around a little longer. Shanahan will probably sit out the year IMO.

~G

Magnificent Seven
01-03-2009, 03:15 PM
SF 49ers should have wait until end of the season. They should have hired Mike Shanahan for 49ers' head coach. Return to SF. Good fit for Niners.

TXBRONC
01-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Now that he's turned down the Jets, I'm thinking Washington next year after Zorn flops around a little longer. Shanahan will probably sit out the year IMO.

~G

If I understand Shanahan's situation correctly he has to actively pursue a head coaching job if wants to collect the 21 million from his contract.

Medford Bronco
01-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Dallas is the best fit for Shanny. He would excel there.

the talent is there and Romo would flourish under him.

Personally I would love to see it. My best friend is a huge Cowboys
fan and I like them as well (after Denver of course)

Good luck Shanny no matter where you end up (just not in the afc west please)

Hobe
01-03-2009, 03:47 PM
I don't think Shanahan would be a good fit in Dallas...

Fit? Fit??? We are talking about Jerry Jones here, right?

LawDog
01-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Why are we talking about what might be a good fit for Shanahan? He is our ex-coach. Take this to the other teams forum.

Italianmobstr7
01-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Why are we talking about what might be a good fit for Shanahan? He is our ex-coach. Take this to the other teams forum.

Let's not be stupid here. Shanahan will always be a Bronco. Any news concerning him this off-season belongs in Broncos Discussion. Shanny brought us 2 Super Bowls, and spent 21 years of his career wearing orange and blue. Shanny is forever a Bronco. He even said it himself.

Lonestar
01-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Trying this from my new phone

Whereever he goes unless they already have a great DC and players they will suck on D.

He flat does not put a lot of stock in D.

Tned
01-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Trying this from my new phone

Whereever he goes unless they already have a great DC and players they will suck on D.

He flat does not put a lot of stock in D.

Impressive use of technology. Seems to have worked great. :2thumbs: What kind of phone?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-03-2009, 06:13 PM
I disagree that he doesn't take a lot of stock in D. He just sux at it. Dide he not draft 3 DL in the first few rounds just 2 years ago? What about the 3 CB draft w/ DW, Paymah and Foxxy? He cares about D, he just can't assess talent.

TXBRONC
01-03-2009, 07:11 PM
If the owner saves the coach from himself, it isn't a bad idea.

And just whom has Jerry Jones saved from himself?

Crush05
01-04-2009, 02:01 AM
Hmmm this echoes my poll and my vote in that poll of where will Shanny coach next!!!! Maybe it is time to stretch my arm out to get ready to pat myself on the back!!:listen:

weazel
01-04-2009, 02:33 AM
If Dallas signs him, doesnt Dallas then have to pay half of what Denver owes him? I am asking because I really don't know. Thats the way it works in the NHL and NBA, so just wondering...

tomjonesrocks
01-04-2009, 04:51 AM

~G

I'm hoping for Washington, since I don't have any ill will towards them--but would take Dallas happily if it means Shanny doesn't wind up in KC or another AFC West team.

gobroncsnv
01-04-2009, 10:39 AM
i would love to see shanny go to dallas..and with his first coaching move...cut that biotch T.O. shanny would make romo that much better, and hed probably get a hard on knowing he has barber, felix jones, and tashard choice.

And a pretty decent Dline. Wonder if he'll know how to act... :cool:

lex
01-04-2009, 10:49 AM

~G

If he sits out a year, I wouldnt rule out Florida depending on what Meyer does.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-04-2009, 02:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3808287

Sources: Jones might pursue Shanahan as coach
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3808287

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones hasn't changed his mind about firing coach Wade Phillips, but Mike Shanahan would be the leading candidate if he ever does make a move, according to team sources.

Mike Shanahan, a fan of Tony Romo, could end up with the Cowboys in 2010.
Shanahan's unexpected firing Tuesday by the Denver Broncos has prompted Jones to give "thought" to hiring Shanahan as the future Dallas coach -- even more so than Bill Cowher or Mike Holmgren -- but 2010 may be more timely than 2009, the sources said.

The story was first reported Saturday morning on ESPN's NFL Countdown show.

Jones and Shanahan have had a strong relationship and share a mutual admiration for Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo. Shanahan offered Romo more money than Jones did in 2003 when Romo was an undrafted free agent out of Eastern Illinois, Shanahan's alma mater.

Also appealing to Jones, Shanahan would not carry an exorbitant price tag. Because his contract had three years remaining, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen owes Shanahan $20 million. Any owner who hires Shanahan could pay him a lower salary than the estimated $7 million a year he's owed and Bowlen would be obligated to pay the balance of that "offset."

Jones has been committed to a third season with Phillips as head coach and Jason Garrett as offensive coordinator. Sources say the owner was particularly pleased with Phillips' work with the defense and doesn't want to interrupt that progress. The chance Jones could hire Shanahan and convince Phillips to remain as defensive coordinator is very remote, a source said. Shanahan replaced Phillips as head coach when he was hired in Denver.

If Garrett should land one of the head coaching jobs available now, it could influence Jones to reconsider his plans and approach Shanahan about joining the Cowboys for the 2009 season because of the offensive void left by Garrett's departure, a source said.

The same source added that Jones was growing "angrier by the day" because of the Cowboys' last two defeats -- to Baltimore and Philadelphia -- which left them out of the playoffs.

However, as noted, any proposed union between the Cowboys and Shanahan is more likely for 2010.

Shanahan seemed to confirm the timing of his eventual return, regardless of the destination, when he told Peter King of SI.com and NBC on Saturday: "What I'm going to do is take a couple of weeks to sit back and relax a little, then consider what it is I'm going to do. Unless there's a perfect situation out there, I'd rather sit out the year and return next year."

However, as profootballtalk.com also reported Saturday, most standard NFL head coaching contracts contain a clause that the coach must "use his very best effort to seek other employment." It is unknown if Shanahan has that specific clause and many in the league doubt Bowlen would not honor the contract if the coach sat out.

Chris Mortensen is a senior NFL analyst for ESPN.

Broncolingus
01-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Many, many folks in the Dallas metro area are salavating over this...

I agree with Girler...poor Wade.

broncofaninfla
01-05-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm not sold that Shanahan would like to be in another "Davis like" situation. Jerry Jones is a very hands on owner like Davis is. I can't see Shanahan wanting back into that type of situation.

Lonestar
01-05-2009, 11:05 AM
I disagree that he doesn't take a lot of stock in D. He just sux at it. Dide he not draft 3 DL in the first few rounds just 2 years ago? What about the 3 CB draft w/ DW, Paymah and Foxxy? He cares about D, he just can't assess talent.

so pray tell what is the difference

BroncoTech
01-05-2009, 11:12 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/jtaylor/stories/010509dnspotaylorcol.2b7f4b0.html

Jerry Jones a Dallas Cowboy afraid to pull the trigger

02:28 AM CST on Monday, January 5, 2009

IRVING – Sometimes, if I'm not careful, I could allow myself to feel sorry for Jerry Jones.

He wants to win so badly. Really, he does.

He just doesn't have a clue how to make it happen.

If he did, we all know Wade Phillips wouldn't still be the Cowboys' coach. But Jerry doesn't know how to fix his underachieving team, especially since promoting Jason Garrett these days would cause a mutiny.

So Jerry has somehow convinced himself the status quo will get the job done to his satisfaction. Jerry thinks the mild-mannered Phillips will be demanding enough to maximize the roster's talent.

You don't believe that any more than I do. It's not too late for Jerry to change his mind and fire the coach.

Remember, Jerry once said any one of 500 coaches could coach the Cowboys. Phillips is the fifth coach Jones has hired since uttering those words, but that still leaves 495.

This is no time to be bashful. The NFL is full of qualified assistants who just need an opportunity.

No one except die-hard football fans had ever heard of Mike Smith before Atlanta hired him to run a franchise, which was certifiably dysfunctional after the Michael Vick debacle and coach Bobby Petrino's decision to quit on the team and resign.

Smith took Atlanta to the playoffs and was named coach of the year by The Associated Press.

I knew Jack Harbaugh was a pretty good college coach. I knew Jim Harbaugh was a solid NFL quarterback. I didn't know anything about John Harbaugh except that he coached special teams.

Well, all he's done is lead the Baltimore Ravens to the second round of the playoffs.

And then there's Tony Sparano.

We knew he was a quality coach with the Cowboys because the players and other assistants had such respect for him, and Bill Parcells wouldn't even let him interview for a coordinator's job in New Orleans because he was too valuable.

Sparano certainly wasn't a big name on the national scene, one of those hot coordinators who everyone knows is going to eventually get a head coaching job.

But he took the Miami Dolphins to the playoffs a season after they went 1-15.

Jerry, the man who made hundreds of millions speculating on whether oil was at the bottom of a hole, has lost his nerve. I never thought I'd say that, but it's true.

He's scared to take a chance, whether it's hiring a known commodity like former Denver coach Mike Shanahan – flaws and all – or an unknown commodity like former Cowboys secondary coach and current Dolphins assistant Todd Bowles, who was well-respected by the players and comes with Parcells' approval.

For the record, Bowles is scheduled to interview for the head coaching positions in St. Louis and Detroit.

Jerry has put himself in this position by undermining every head coach he's ever had not named Jimmy or Bill.

I figured the foundation Parcells laid for this franchise would last about five years, especially since Jerry was smart enough to sign several players to long-term deals, meaning the core of the team would stay together.

It lasted one.

The problem is there's no evidence Parcells was ever in the building. From Sparano to Jeff Ireland, the former vice president of college and pro scouting, to assistant coaches such as Bowles, Paul Pasqualoni and Kacy Rodgers.

Everyone is gone.

Every single person who would've maintained the tenets Parcells preaches is in South Beach, helping Miami.

If Jerry the GM wants to control personnel, that's fine. It's his right. And we all thought he did a wonderful job assembling talent before the season, which is why nearly every prognosticator picked Dallas to play in the Super Bowl.

When he listens to players griping about anything from playing time to schemes, he makes a weak head coach even weaker.

That's sad.

But it's Jerry's fault, and that's why I can't feel sorry for him.

Shazam!
01-05-2009, 11:52 AM
JJ should bring in Shanahan and give him total control. Dallas is ready to win now, even though Shanny won't have the luxury of the much weaker AFC West, Dallas would be automatic contenders. I can't see Shanahan rebuilding a trainwreck like Detroit or St. Louis, but a situation like Dallas, a team that is ready to win now with loads of talent in all phases should have him salivating.

Lonestar
01-05-2009, 03:06 PM
JJ should bring in Shanahan and give him total control. Dallas is ready to win now, even though Shanny won't have the luxury of the much weaker AFC West, Dallas would be automatic contenders. I can't see Shanahan rebuilding a trainwreck like Detroit or St. Louis, but a situation like Dallas, a team that is ready to win now with loads of talent in all phases should have him salivating.

IMO any decent team that gives mikey total control is nuts..

If we are talking about a bottom feeder like DET perhaps.. He can make them respectable.. mid-lower range defense with a better offensive capable of winning 6-10 games a year consistently..

But to give him total charge of a DAL program is beyond NUTS..

Tned-Mobile
01-05-2009, 05:13 PM
IMO any decent team that gives mikey total control is nuts..

If we are talking about a bottom feeder like DET perhaps.. He can make them respectable.. mid-lower range defense with a better offensive capable of winning 6-10 games a year consistently..

But to give him total charge of a DAL program is beyond NUTS..

When Shanahan took over Denver, they went from last in the league in defens to top 5 in three years.

LRtagger
01-05-2009, 05:23 PM
When Shanahan took over Denver, they went from last in the league in defens to top 5 in three years.

He didnt have total control when he first took over did he? I thought that was something he "earned" after the SB wins.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-05-2009, 10:21 PM
so pray tell what is the difference

indifference vs incompetence

Tned
01-05-2009, 10:23 PM
He didnt have total control when he first took over did he? I thought that was something he "earned" after the SB wins.

You could be right, I don't remember when he started making personnel decisions.

Shazam!
01-05-2009, 11:22 PM

I remember the words clear as if it were yesterday. I think I have it on video tape in my personal Broncos archives too.

"I'm giving Mike (Shanahan) total control of our football operations. That's what I want him to do."-Pat Bowlen, 1995, press conf. introducing Mike Shanahan as HC