PDA

View Full Version : Shanny turns down the Jets

DenBronx
01-03-2009, 01:10 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Headlines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=137115

Mike Shanahan has taken himself out of the running to be the Jets' next head coach.

This significantly decreases his odds of coaching in 2009. Shanny made it clear at his farewell presser that his No. 1 priority when seeking a new job would be the likelihood of immediate success. After the Jets, the other clubs currently looking for coaches (Detroit, St. Louis, Kansas City, and to a slightly lesser extent Cleveland) are rebuilding efforts. Perhaps if a team like the Cowboys comes up with a late firing Shanahan will bite, but otherwise he can just collect the money the Broncos still owe him in 2009. Jan. 2 - 9:38 pm et
Source: Newark Star-Ledger

Northman
01-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Interesting.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2009, 01:27 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Headlines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=137115

Mike Shanahan has taken himself out of the running to be the Jets' next head coach.

This significantly decreases his odds of coaching in 2009. Shanny made it clear at his farewell presser that his No. 1 priority when seeking a new job would be the likelihood of immediate success. After the Jets, the other clubs currently looking for coaches (Detroit, St. Louis, Kansas City, and to a slightly lesser extent Cleveland) are rebuilding efforts. Perhaps if a team like the Cowboys comes up with a late firing Shanahan will bite, but otherwise he can just collect the money the Broncos still owe him in 2009. Jan. 2 - 9:38 pm et
Source: Newark Star-Ledger

Somewhere on this site, someone posted that Mike will only get paid his salary if he is actively pursuing another coaching job. Don't know if that was confirmed or not.

Fan in Exile
01-03-2009, 01:35 PM
I don't think that the Jets had a decent shot at success next year. Farve isn't all that he's cracked up to be and their back up is a total unknown, right now.

Broncospsycho77
01-03-2009, 01:38 PM
:lol:

jrelway
01-03-2009, 02:23 PM
shanny probably wants to build the jets up with a nice young qb. he probably doesnt want to deal with all that favre coming back or retiring BS. i can definatly see him going to dallas. maybe even washington.

ikillz0mbies
01-03-2009, 04:35 PM
I don't think that the Jets had a decent shot at success next year. Farve isn't all that he's cracked up to be and their back up is a total unknown, right now.

You're telling me you've never heard of Brett Ratliff or Kellen Clemens? Either one of those QB's can lead the J-E-T-S to the playoffs. :laugh:

Broncolingus
01-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Shanny turns down the Jets

:lol:

Well said, psycho...

Slick
01-03-2009, 04:39 PM
I thought he might take the Jets job. I guess the QB situation makes sense. I wouldn't want to deal with that soap opera either.

Tned
01-03-2009, 05:22 PM
I thought he might take the Jets job. I guess the QB situation makes sense. I wouldn't want to deal with that soap opera either.

I think worse than the Favre soap opera is probably the fact that at this point in his career, he is probably a long shot to lead the Jets to the SB, and even if comes back for one year, then in 2010 the Jets have a new QB, either a journeyman veteran or a rookie/second year player (if they draft one in '09), which means Shanahan's first two to three years will likely be rough, with his second year worst than his first, and with him risking being on the chopping block by his third year.

I'm guessing since he will be a hot commodity, that he is going to want to go some place with low expectations, but young talent and draft picks, or a team like SD or Dallas that is close to winning and has a young, talented QB.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Cleveland is not that far off, talentwise. Plus Shanny would have 2 young QBs to play with, a BMarsh type WR and the TE closest to Sharpe that this league has to offer. A decent OLine, w/ a young stud LT and some very nice parts on the defense. It'd be interesting to see him in Cleveland...but I still don't rule out Detroit.