PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible that Tebow doesn't have the smarts to make it as a QB in the NFL?

igoe4broncos
10-31-2011, 07:51 AM
Look, this is not a Tebow hate thread. I love the guy's work ethic and I've never pulled for an individual player so hard before in my life. With that said.......

I don't see a lot of people mentioning this, but looking back on it, Tebow didn't score too well on his wonderlic test coming into the draft (22 out of 50).

In college, he didn't run a very complicated offense and he was surrounded with exceptional coaches and great talent that allowed him to succeed without having to read opposing defenses too much.

Looking at Tebow through his first couple of starts this year, he just flat out looks lost. He can't seem to pick up blitzes, he misses open underneath receivers all the time, and he only seems to be able to have one read. Now I know this is only his 5th NFL start and he has a lot to learn, but guys like Cam Newton and Chistian Ponder look much more comfortable making reads and getting rid of the ball.

I just don't think this is all about mechanics. A lot of QB's have succeeded in the National Football League with uncharacteristic mechanices like Tebow. But it is obvious he has a lot of learning to do in multiple phases of the game before he can become a solid all-around NFL QB.

Krugan
10-31-2011, 08:08 AM
Newton scored a 21.

So thats not a good comparison.

Along with people like marino and kelly who score 15s.

Jawallrus scored a 24.

That test isnt a be all end all, sadlt i think its more about how utterly raw the kid is. 5th start, from a non-nfl system to this ungodly awful mess. I think if anyone gets at least a minor crutch its gotta be ANY qb with the nerve to try in Denver right now.

Mike
10-31-2011, 08:27 AM
Not this shit again.

hotcarl
10-31-2011, 09:27 AM
id rather have tebow that cam newton because tebow has better intagibles. he will learn how to throw a football soon.

Lancane
10-31-2011, 09:31 AM
id rather have tebow that cam newton because tebow has better intagibles. he will learn how to throw a football soon.

You F'n Liar! :lol:

Npba900
10-31-2011, 09:34 AM
Look, this is not a Tebow hate thread. I love the guy's work ethic and I've never pulled for an individual player so hard before in my life. With that said.......

I don't see a lot of people mentioning this, but looking back on it, Tebow didn't score too well on his wonderlic test coming into the draft (22 out of 50).

In college, he didn't run a very complicated offense and he was surrounded with exceptional coaches and great talent that allowed him to succeed without having to read opposing defenses too much.

Looking at Tebow through his first couple of starts this year, he just flat out looks lost. He can't seem to pick up blitzes, he misses open underneath receivers all the time, and he only seems to be able to have one read. Now I know this is only his 5th NFL start and he has a lot to learn, but guys like Cam Newton and Chistian Ponder look much more comfortable making reads and getting rid of the ball.

I just don't think this is all about mechanics. A lot of QB's have succeeded in the National Football League with uncharacteristic mechanices like Tebow. But it is obvious he has a lot of learning to do in multiple phases of the game before he can become a solid all-around NFL QB.

You may have a point here. Tebow may have already peaked as player at the QB position. Question is has EFX realized this fact yet. I doubt right now that Tebow could even beat out Landry Jones for the starting position in 2012, should Jones is drafted by the Broncos.

hotcarl
10-31-2011, 09:35 AM
You F'n Liar! :lol:

i was watching some of that panthers game yesterday... if you think its bad now imagine if carolina had passed on him nd then we passed on him because we had tebow. i would kill myself

BroncoNut
10-31-2011, 10:36 AM
i was watching some of that panthers game yesterday... if you think its bad now imagine if carolina had passed on him nd then we passed on him because we had tebow. i would kill myself

that would really suck because I don't want you to die.

I love you HotCarl,

your friend, Bronconut

igoe4broncos
10-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Not this shit again.

I haven't been around this board that long, so sorry if this is a re-hash, but I was just making an observation based on what I've seen the last two games.

I do have to say he looked much more comfortable last year against the Raiders, Texans, and Chargets to close out the season when Studesville and Co. just let him go out there and do his thing.

SR
10-31-2011, 09:16 PM
Have you heard how much he says "um" every time he speaks publicly? Of course it's a possibility.

Medford Bronco
10-31-2011, 09:20 PM
I think there are some HS kids that have better mechanics than he has.

He takes about 10 min to release the ball. That is not smarts it is about lack of physical talent throwing the ball. Not athleticism. I think he could be a very good wildcat or even TE. Sorry to rain on the Tebowites parade but I am less than impressed with these games and he was mediocre last year as well.

Ready to be flamed and ripped.. We are all frustred. I do not root against the kid. He looks ugly playing though and if you dont see that, you must be new to the NFL game then.

sneakers
11-01-2011, 12:25 AM
I heard Payton Hillis isn't too smart, can anyone confirm this?

BroncoStud
11-01-2011, 05:19 AM
I heard Payton Hillis isn't too smart, can anyone confirm this?

Mrs. McDaniels can neither confirm or deny the allegation.

CrazyHorse
11-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Come on now. He isn't Vince Young.

claymore
11-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Mrs. McDaniels can neither confirm or deny the allegation.

She is used to captain lip smack doosh pants. Im sure hillis seemed like a genius in comparison.

BigDaddyBronco
11-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Come on now. He isn't Vince Young.

He might be Vince Young, except he is not suicidal and isn't an egomaniac. But wait, Vince is a better passer.

Lancane
11-01-2011, 10:48 AM
He might be Vince Young, except he is not suicidal and isn't an egomaniac. But wait, Vince is a better passer.

If Tebow had Young's throwing mechanics and arm, we'd not be even having this discussion.

:beer:

SM19
11-01-2011, 04:03 PM
22 is a decent enough score, compared to Tebow's peer group. My concern is not so much about his intelligence per se as his capacity for learning. A guy who's been in the league for over a year and has Tebow's reputation for putting in hard work really ought to be further along in his development.

NightTerror218
11-01-2011, 04:06 PM
If Tebow had Young's throwing mechanics and arm, we'd not be even having this discussion.

:beer:

But if Tebow looks like Young by December then I will jump on his bandwagon and let the Gator Fans tell me, "I told you so, F*ing idiot"

Lancane
11-02-2011, 02:29 AM
But if Tebow looks like Young by December then I will jump on his bandwagon and let the Gator Fans tell me, "I told you so, F*ing idiot"

Don't worry, it won't happen...and if it does I will happily swallow crow.

But the chances are so slim Phidelt. Young had terrific throwing mechanics from before he entered the NFL, Tebow on the other hand needs to be taught how to throw, once you need coached on the basic fundamentals it's pretty much a wash IMHO.

DenBronx
11-02-2011, 02:38 AM
I think athletically he has it but mentaly he doesnt. He has had alot of time to work on it and yet he looks worse than last year. I think the current playbook is too complicated for him as well.

He might just be a really slow learner. But if I were in the Broncos front office I would bring in a solid veteran to work with Tebow everyday until he gets it.

Dzone
11-02-2011, 06:36 AM
Have you heard how much he says "um" every time he speaks publicly? Of course it's a possibility.
Ive noticed that. Kind of like that one speech where cutler said "You know" like 57 times in one interview. Tebow needs to take a speech class or get in a Toastmasters club.. He has charisma, but having charisma doesnt always mean youre smart.
Those standardized tests like wonderlick are pure crap IMO. Same is true for those high school tests the government makes our kids take. Pure crap.

Dzone
11-02-2011, 06:41 AM
Did anyone see the yahoo story yesterday about Mark Brunell? How he lost $50 Million in bad investments and filed BK. He has a $60,000 a year job waiting for him next year, selling medical equipment. Why not bring Brunell here for a year to work with Tebow?

Dzone
11-02-2011, 06:46 AM
Best Cutler interview ever! What an idiot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9WCPxDYBjg

Npba900
11-02-2011, 07:05 AM
I think athletically he has it but mentaly he doesnt. He has had alot of time to work on it and yet he looks worse than last year. I think the current playbook is too complicated for him as well.

He might just be a really slow learner. But if I were in the Broncos front office I would bring in a solid veteran to work with Tebow everyday until he gets it.

Here's the Blue Print on Tebow. He's great athlete and football player but their is an overwhelmingly strong indication he will never grasp and develop into a proto-typical NFL QB who can excel from the pocket.

Because Tebow is a great athlete, competitor, and never quits, he can have a great career as a TE in the NFL. Hopefully Tebow can be honest with himself and realize this. Who knows Tebow could become a Pro Bowler playing the TE position.

The only way for Tim realize he doesnt have a future as an NFL QB is to leave him in as the starter for the remaining 9 games even if he continues to stink up the joint. Hell even allow him to start the first 8 games of the 2012 season! The long term reality is Tebow will never excel as a pocket passing QB in the NFL.

Tebows future in the NFL will be at Tight End.

Npba900
11-02-2011, 07:09 AM
The Broncos could hire Urban Meyer as OC to run the Spread offense and hire Steve Young, Warren Moorn, and Mark Brunell and Elway to tutor-mentor Tebow for 2 solid years and Tebow still would not develop into a Top 5-10 NFL QB that can Excel from the pocket.

chazoe60
11-02-2011, 07:13 AM

Too bad that didn't happen.