PDA

View Full Version : Horsepig's take on the game

horsepig
10-30-2011, 11:59 PM
One of the repetitive posts on the game day thread was: the play calling sucks, there's no outlets for TT tto check down on. Nick commented that there were plenty of checkdown ops for TT and after replaying the game frame by frame, I'd have to say he was half right.

TT was running scared after the first series. Several he had outlet receivers wide open right in front of him, however, about 1/2 the time he didn't have time to look anywhere but at the #1 target.

The play calling was not as poor as we thought. Most plays had a very well set up checkdown receiver, and they were almost always open for 5-30 yard gains. TT just didn't see them.

A huge part of that was due to the OL getting literally manhandled. Franklin needs to either move to LG or spend some time on the pine, IMHO. Clark is much more effective, even if he does seem to just zone out on some plays.

Ray Crocket was a ref's make-up guy. The guy was a very, very good corner who always got screwed on IF calls. Clady seems to be the Broncos new whipping boy. Is he callinf the refs fat homos? Why are they flagging him 2-3/game for invisible holding calls, when he's only guilty of 1?

Slowshon sucks as a full time RB. Put Ball in. Noshow seems to be pretty effective as a 3'rd down/reciever type.

Finally, go no huddle/hurry up offensive sets. TT thrives under these conditions. What do the coaches have to lose here? When they speed up the offensive flow TT seems to be able to catch his checkdown receivers and the defense can't do everything they want to. TT will actually look around and find open guys rather than throw up long range prayers.

BroncoStud
10-31-2011, 12:06 AM
We lack the innovation and coaching to use Tebow properly. McCoy/Fox are to blame along with Tebow himself. The gameplan today would have been fine if Peyton Manning were the QB, not Tim Tebow, not a lot of QBs.

They did NOTHING to help his cause and he did NOTHING to help theirs. Like so many have said, you have to be ALL-IN on Tebow to make it work. The offense has to be predicated on his skills and has to masks his glaring weaknesses. There should have been short, high percentage throws from the onset. Mix in bootlegs, screens, and rollouts. We saw NONE of that.

It was quite honestly the worst possible gameplan for Tim Tebow to execute.

Fox and McCoy showed me today why we are absolutely SCREWED for the next few years. Tim Tebow, Kyle Orton, Jay Cutler, it wouldn't matter. This coaching is horrific. Tebow had no business dropping back so many times and throwing those routes. It was a tragic attempt at an offensive gameplan.

horsepig
10-31-2011, 12:06 AM
Bye the way, the Raiders will throw the kitchen sink at TT and dare us to throw. Until he can reacr to this defensive strategy. he will see it over and over. Maybe that will be how he learns to beat it? (no pun intended)

BroncoStud
10-31-2011, 12:09 AM
When a team is blitzing the hell out of you the obvious and logical call is to kill them with screens. Throw the ball to Moreno in the open field and let him make some plays. Or maybe get Eddie Royal on a WR screen going across the field...

silkamilkamonico
10-31-2011, 12:11 AM
We need to get a competent coaching staff, and we need a plethora of new starters, and none more badly then the QB position.

horsepig
10-31-2011, 12:12 AM
We lack the innovation and coaching to use Tebow properly. McCoy/Fox are to blame along with Tebow himself. The gameplan today would have been fine if Peyton Manning were the QB, not Tim Tebow, not a lot of QBs.

They did NOTHING to help his cause and he did NOTHING to help theirs. Like so many have said, you have to be ALL-IN on Tebow to make it work. The offense has to be predicated on his skills and has to masks his glaring weaknesses. There should have been short, high percentage throws from the onset. Mix in bootlegs, screens, and rollouts. We saw NONE of that.

It was quite honestly the worst possible gameplan for Tim Tebow to execute.

Fox and McCoy showed me today why we are absolutely SCREWED for the next few years. Tim Tebow, Kyle Orton, Jay Cutler, it wouldn't matter. This coaching is horrific. Tebow had no business dropping back so many times and throwing those routes. It was a tragic attempt at an offensive gameplan.
Watch the pass plays one at atime Stud. About 25% of the time they only sent two receivers out, duh, stupid huh? They were trying to max protect TT and it didn't work. The OL was manhandled today.

The rest of the pass plays had at least one checkdown receiver WIDE OPEN right in front of TT. Several of these plays could have resulted in substantiaal gains. Live and learn, I guess, or play and learn. The Off coaches are going to be all over TT's ass in meetings this week.

Luckyshot
10-31-2011, 12:13 AM
Wouldn't some of these posts be better in the Tebow Excuses thread.

horsepig
10-31-2011, 12:15 AM
No, because we're talking about today's performance. The safety valves were there. Did he have time to even look? He didn't have much time back there. I am by no means a TT appologist.

silkamilkamonico
10-31-2011, 12:17 AM
No, because we're talking about today's performance. The safety valves were there. Did he have time to even look? He didn't have much time back there. I am by no means a TT appologist.

This certainly nullifies the "Tebow inspires his teammates play better" argument.

horsepig
10-31-2011, 12:23 AM
Why is that?

silkamilkamonico
10-31-2011, 12:31 AM
There is no inspiration of players playing above their capability because Tebow is all of a sudden playing. They still suck, and it's contributing to how bad Tebow sucks.

Probably has something to do with getting blown out of the stadium, at home, to the Detroit Lions.

BroncoStud
10-31-2011, 01:04 AM
Detroit blew us out several years ago when John Kitna was QB as well. I don't mind losing anymore (thanks to the last few years) but losing THIS way was sad.

It all starts at the top. I never expected Tebow to light the world on fire and I don't expect him to when the offense is not taking advantage of his strengths either.

It is my humble opinion that Elway made a poor decision to hire John Fox, it was THEN, it is even more now. He coaches like it's 1983. His choice for OC, Mike McCoy, coaches like it's 1983. Neither is really what a young and rebuilding franchise needs. There is no innovation in our gameplan. Regardless of what these bozos seem to think, we can't line up and beat the other team because we lack the ability to do so.

We have no innovation, no trickery, nothing, we have nothing. Elway took the easy road and hired a retread who had a mediocre career in Carolina and led offenses that were not very good.

This offensive system we run has GOT TO GO. It's antiquated and overall ineffective, especially if we are going to develop a QB. Whether it's Tebow, Luck, or anyone else, there needs to be an offense that gives them a CHANCE to succeed. Open it up, spread it out, give them easy throws, call good plays at good times. None of this will happen with McCoy and possibly even Fox calling the shots.

I know we're saddled with Fox for several years thanks to Elway, but there is no reason we can't get rid of McCoy. The dude sucks and has for quite some time.

sneakers
10-31-2011, 03:01 AM
Triple Option.