PDA

View Full Version : Bowlen looked like one who got fired

Nature Boy
01-02-2009, 06:34 PM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/01/lincicome-bowlen-looked-one-who-got-fired/

Alert to clues as to what Mike Shanahan might do next, my wife fixed on Shanahan's pastel goodbye jacket. Very tropical. Very cheerful. Very game-show host.

"Miami," she said.

I told her Miami has a new coach, just had a good year.

"Tampa," she said.

Hmm. Possibly. As things are, I would trade Jon Gruden for Shanahan.

"Ah. Jacksonville. He's going south somewhere."

Well, aren't we all, eventually? And if I had to pick a spot in that direction, Texas would come to mind first, and Dallas in particular - the Cowboys more disappointing even than the Broncos with an owner every bit as single-minded and hardhearted as this one, if Jerry Jones has a quicker trigger finger than does Pat Bowlen.

That might take a whole season before it happens, but ex-Super- Bowl-winning coaches seem to only get smarter and more valuable with their feet up. Like Bill Cowher, everyone's present prince. Dick Vermeil. Jimmy Johnson. Bill Parcells, over and over.

Even Mike Ditka found a sucker in New Orleans.

Oh, Shanahan is going to be just fine. He did look like he was accepting some kind of an achievement award while Bowlen was wrapped in one long sigh.

What is not an issue is that Shanahan has choices, whereas the Broncos have only obligations. Pay off the old coach. Roil the whole internal structure of the place. Get a better team. Pick a coach from, to use Bowlen's phrase, "the panacea of coaches."

The get-a-better-team part is more important than landing a coach for a franchise that Bowlen believes is every coach's goal. There is a comfort level here, as loyal and uncomplaining a fan base as can be found, a mostly compliant media - thanked by Shanahan for being "fair" - a secure spot at the top of the local sports pile and an owner slow to panic.

These are all great considerations for the next guy, but not that much different than in most places that are not New York.

And, speaking of that, my advice to Shanahan is to stay clear of the New York Jets, certainly a challenge with greater rewards for success, but his skin is a bit too thin for the place and as long as the Giants exist, the Jets are renters in the attic.

Whatever dominoes are left to fall, the ones already toppled - Detroit and Cleveland - can be bettered, though Cleveland may have better talent than Shanahan is leaving. Better to wait for the right combination of opportunity and desperation, which is the Parcells model.

The natural course of these things is that famous unemployed coaches are subsumed by television, most of them ill-fitted to suddenly be expansive and entertaining when they have spent their lives guarding their thoughts as if they were the national treasury, and speaking of that . . . no, let's not.

Shanahan would seem more unlikely than most to become a natter bug, but then who would have thought Cowher could appear warmly human?

Shanahan's problem, if he has one, is that he is a brand name, and he cannot, oh, just for the love of the game, become somebody's quarterbacks coach or front-office prop. He has at least one more challenge in him, to take charge and prove that it was he and not John Elway who put those Lombardi Trophies in the case at Dove Valley.

And how nice of Shanahan to proclaim the Broncos are just, oh, one healthy linebacker away from the elite, or some such nonsense.

The next coach will have that echoing daily, that if he just keeps them all healthy, all the X's and O's are already there.

What must be done to restore the defense should have already been started, and all the coaching rooms are empty.

You can't believe that this was well thought out by Bowlen, other than, as we all do sometimes, feeling that things ought to be different than they are, that each day is a weight rather than an opportunity. You wonder if what Bowlen really needed to do was have a chat with Dr. Phil.

What came to mind as Bowlen rolled around in his own confusion about just why this had to happen is that he was the one being fired. Shanahan was clear-eyed and chipper, disembarking a leaky boat while Bowlen is left to plug the holes.

Even as Bowlen extolled the virtues of his good friend for life, it seemed as if he was introducing his new coach rather than getting rid of the old one.

Thanks for the pink slip, Pat. And would you make sure that all your owner buddies have my cell number?

This guy is right on his observation of how Pat Bowlen and Mike Shanahan looked and felt during their firing press conference and I think it was pretty funny.

Pat Bowlen made a horrible decision. Mike Shanahan is one of the best coach and football mind in the game. Good luck to Mickey where ever he should land, but I don't think he'll need it.

Shazam!
01-02-2009, 10:30 PM
It doesn't matter how bad the defense was. When the Broncos are getting their asses kicked on a routine basis at home in must win games, by some of the worst teams in the League who are playing for nothing, a change must be made in the Coach.

Even Bellichick would get fired in a situation like this in NE.

yardog
01-02-2009, 10:44 PM
It doesn't matter how bad the defense was. When the Broncos are getting their asses kicked on a routine basis at home in must win games, by some of the worst teams in the League who are playing for nothing, a change must be made in the Coach.

Even Bellichick would get fired in a situation like this in NE.

So my Def sucks to high heaven so I fire the best Offensive mind in the game today before I step in and make him fix the Defense. :tsk:

Shazam!
01-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Mike took too many gambles. Go down the list at Drafts and FAs. Here are two of each I'll throw out.

The guy wasted a pick on Clarrett.

The guy thought Jake Plummer was the answer to Denver's QB woes.
I thought he was crazy and it was a stupid move.
Then I thought he was right and surprised me.
Then I realized I was right, he was wrong and it WAS a stupid move.

Denver's success was 10 years ago.
24-24 isn't success.
Time to move on.
If the organization can move on, so should we.

The only man who was bigger than the Broncos was John Elway.
The Broncos are bigger than Mike Shanahan.
I rooted for the Broncos before Shanahan was Coach.
I will root for them without him.

yardog
01-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Mike took too many gambles. Go down the list at Drafts and FAs. Here are two of each I'll throw out.

24-24 isn't success.
Time to move on.

I think the shake up in the front office fixed our draft issues. More change could have fixed our FA moves. Hiring a real DC would have fixed that issue also. I'm not saying Shanahan is bigger than the Broncos. I'm saying with less power he's the best person to have continue the growth of the offensive and lead the Broncos.

Shazam!
01-02-2009, 11:11 PM
I doubt Shanahan would want less power.

Shanahan hired this incompetent Slowik.

Too many big games Denver lost to horrible teams even worse than Denver.

I hear ya Yard, but after all these years, especially the last three, Denver needed a change.

Bring in the right guy, beef up the defense even to a middle of the pack in the League, add some RBs and Denver can be a contender for the Playoffs in 2009.

Sometimes, change can be good.

I am actually excited about this new era of the Broncos and a change of identity. Bring back the ole' uniforms!! Modernize em' a bit!
:defense: :defense: :defense:

yardog
01-02-2009, 11:17 PM
I doubt Shanahan would want less power.

Shanahan hired this incompetent Slowik.

Too many big games Denver lost to horrible teams even worse than Denver.

I hear ya Yard, but after all these years, especially the last three, Denver needed a change.

Bring in the right guy, beef up the defense even to a middle of the pack in the League, add some RBs and Denver can be a contender for the Playoffs in 2009.

Sometimes, change can be good.

I agree with you. If the right person is hired it's all good. Who's to say Bowlen didn't try and do the things I've suggested we may never know. To me these things should have been done first and then if Shanahan bocked you replace him.

Shazam!
01-02-2009, 11:20 PM
I remember when Shanahan was hired. I still have the clipping from the NY Daily News.

'Shanahan Grabs Broncs' 6 Million Offer; Pete too?' (Pete Carroll for DC)

That was a new era for a different time for our beloved team.

They needed change and wanted greatness and found it.

Denver will do it again. I know many don't believe it, but this team won't turn out to be the Browns or Bengals.

BeefStew25
01-02-2009, 11:49 PM
So my Def sucks to high heaven so I fire the best Offensive mind in the game today before I step in and make him fix the Defense. :tsk:

He was the one that picked the defense, Yard.

Nature Boy
01-03-2009, 12:20 AM

24-24 isn't success.
Time to move on.

If you look at Jake Plummer's win lost record in % as a Denver Bronco, it's equal too or slightly better than John Elway's. I'm not saying Plummer was better than Elway, but Jake Plummer was no slouch of a QB by any means.

Mikey also knew the furthest he can go with Jake Plummer was an AFC Championship game so he pulled the strings on Jake Plummer. Actually I thought he pulled the string on Plummer a little bite too early as I am 100% sure Plummer would have took us to the playoffs in 2006.

Anyone else remember Jay Cutler's debute against Seattle?

Nature Boy
01-03-2009, 12:28 AM
He was the one that picked the defense, Yard.

Mike Shanahan screwed up the defense when he fired Larry Coyer and hired Jim Bates to implement his system. Well the Broncos did not have the players to execute Jim Bates' system in such a short time and this is the defense we are left with.

That was totally Mikey's fault but with the current offense, a few tweaks in the defense this off season and the Broncos were sure to be realistic contenders in my opinion. Too bad we'll never see it.

Hopefully whomever comes in will only build on what Mikey was so close to accomplishing.

All speculations on my part here. Flame away.

Shazam!
01-03-2009, 02:42 AM
Those Broncos teams with Jake were much, much better, whether it is RBs, Defense, and healthier than any team Jay has played on to date.

Jay has made plays this year that Jake NEVER COULD. I know he had a lot of INTs, but he had no RBs and was trying to keep the ball away from the defense. He pressed too hard a lot I think because the defense couldn't stop anybody (even on a 2nd and 22) so he knew he'd have to score on almost every drive if the Broncos were to win.

As far as Jake goes, I was never happy with him at QB. I thought Mike totally sabotaged him and his career. While I am glad we finally got a young talented QB and are rid of Jake (and Shanahan in fact,) Mike totally destroyed him. I thought the circumstances were classless and Jake deserved better.

Tned
01-03-2009, 02:49 AM
Those Broncos teams with Jake were much, much better, whether it is RBs, Defense, and healthier than any team Jay has played on to date.

Jay has made plays this year that Jake NEVER COULD. I know he had a lot of INTs, but he had no RBs and was trying to keep the ball away from the defense. He pressed too hard a lot I think because the defense couldn't stop anybody (even on a 2nd and 22) so he knew he'd have to score on almost every drive if the Broncos were to win.

As far as Jake goes, I was never happy with him at QB. I thought Mike totally sabotaged him and his career. While I am glad we finally got a young talented QB and are rid of Jake (and Shanahan in fact,) Mike totally destroyed him. I thought the circumstances were classless and Jake deserved better.

The offensive line this year is FAR superior to anything Jake played behind. I know there was a lot of talk of Jake not being a pocket passer, and that might have been true, but the flip side is during his time in Denver there was not a line that could actually keep a pocket intact to throw from.

Also, while he did have Rod at the end of his career, and Sharpe I think for one year, the receiving corp this year (Marshall, Royal, Scheffler, Stokely and even Graham) is far better than anything Jake ever had.

That aside, Jay is a much more gifted QB. He actually probably makes more mistakes that Jake did, even though Jake was roundly attacked when he did make a mistake, but the difference is that Jay is still a raw QB with tons of talent, Jake was a 8-10 year vet who made the most of his limited skills, but was still prone to trying to hard and making a dumb mistake. Then again, there are few QB's that aren't guilty of that.

TXBRONC
01-03-2009, 12:18 PM
The offensive line this year is FAR superior to anything Jake played behind. I know there was a lot of talk of Jake not being a pocket passer, and that might have been true, but the flip side is during his time in Denver there was not a line that could actually keep a pocket intact to throw from.

Also, while he did have Rod at the end of his career, and Sharpe I think for one year, the receiving corp this year (Marshall, Royal, Scheffler, Stokely and even Graham) is far better than anything Jake ever had.

That aside, Jay is a much more gifted QB. He actually probably makes more mistakes that Jake did, even though Jake was roundly attacked when he did make a mistake, but the difference is that Jay is still a raw QB with tons of talent, Jake was a 8-10 year vet who made the most of his limited skills, but was still prone to trying to hard and making a dumb mistake. Then again, there are few QB's that aren't guilty of that.

Peyton Manning has on occassion has been criticized for making dumb mistakes especially early in his career.

While the offensive line talent wise was not as good as it now it was functional and it could and did keep the pocket in tact just not as consistently as it can now. Besides that they didn't have to be superb at that kind blocking because Jake's strength was not as a pocket passer.

Shazam!
01-03-2009, 02:30 PM
That's not true TN. The Broncos' OL when Jake was here was very good. It is much better now in the pass blocking dept. but to say it was mediocre at almost anytime is just not true.

silkamilkamonico
01-03-2009, 02:53 PM

That could be debatable. I won't argue with your comment, but without Elway, and without Cutler, his offenses have been ho hum at best.

With explosive talented QB's, anyone can create a great offense. For as great as he was, and he w3as great, he sure couldn't figure out how to score TD's in the redzone.

Tned
01-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Peyton Manning has on occassion has been criticized for making dumb mistakes especially early in his career.

While the offensive line talent wise was not as good as it now it was functional and it could and did keep the pocket in tact just not as consistently as it can now. Besides that they didn't have to be superb at that kind blocking because Jake's strength was not as a pocket passer.

TX, the line sucked. They not only couldn't pass protect, the lost the ability to open up holes, especially in short yardage. Same thing when Jay took over, which is why he got pummelled when he tried to stand in the pocket.

TXBRONC
01-03-2009, 02:59 PM
TX, the line sucked. They not only couldn't pass protect, the lost the ability to open up holes, especially in short yardage. Same thing when Jay took over, which is why he got pummelled when he tried to stand in the pocket.

Then we differ there Tned. The line was functional in Jake's first three year and one of the main reason's Jay was pummelled had to to with injury situation along the front line.