PDA

View Full Version : Bly might be gone to free cap room

DenBronx
01-02-2009, 02:08 PM
No loss here. If we gain cap room then cut him. I wouldnt mind S Atogwe from St. Louis and look for safties and db's on the 2nd day of the draft.

http://www.opensports.com/football/nfl/player/profile/1639

Jan 02 - 12:30 PMDre' Bly, CB DEN
It is possible that to clear up space under the salary cap to sign a defensive lineman, the Denver Broncos will cut a high salaried player, which may be Dre Bly, according to Pro Football Weekly.
Analysis: Bly had just two interceptions this season and was a part of what turned out to be a horrid Broncos pass defense, though the lack of a pass rush likely didn't help.

DenBronx
01-02-2009, 02:13 PM
"I want someone to come in here and win a Superbowl" Pat Bowlen

By that remark I wouldn't doubt that he goes after a few big name free agents. Cut the dead weight and let's get a real defense.

jrelway
01-02-2009, 02:18 PM
get him out of here. put that money towards something more useful.

underrated29
01-02-2009, 02:21 PM
I say we keep him. Get him to restructure. If not try to trade him, if still not.....then i suppose we can cut him...

I really think he would be very good here with champ and bell and jmfw if we could rush the passer.

But thats just me.

yardog
01-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Free up his money and go get Peppers. Champ, Bell and Williams would be just fine with pressure from Peppers.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2009, 02:26 PM
I say we keep him. Get him to restructure. If not try to trade him, if still not.....then i suppose we can cut him...

I really think he would be very good here with champ and bell and jmfw if we could rush the passer.

But thats just me.

I agree - defense starts with the line - if the line stinks, or the defensive scheme stinks, it puts a lot of pressure on the linebackers, corners, safeties, etc. I say correct the line problems, personnel or scheme, and we will have a good defense.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-02-2009, 02:27 PM
We have 31 million dollars already. Try and at least trade him. If we had a decent defensive line, Bly's play would improve too. Then again, I guess the people in Charge thought it was smart to invest almost 100 million in two corners. . . front to back -- not back to front, turds. (Not to mention the LB spending which has been dumb as hell.)

honz
01-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Even Champ looks ordinary when QBs have all day to throw...

broncofaninfla
01-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Unless he restructures, I say it is a foregone conclusion that Bly is sent packing. Bly is being paid to be a great player, trouble is, he isn't a great player. He is at best a good player. No way he deserves the money he is currently getting paid.

G_Money
01-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Trade him, restructure him or cut him.

But don’t pay him that much. Unfortunately, Jack Williams hasn’t come along the way we wanted. When you have defensive backfield injuries and your rookie can barely get on the field in a dime package he’s not exactly clamoring to take Bly’s place.

Maybe we can hope that he was fine and Slowik just didn’t see it, but I’m not holding my breath.

I expect at least one more CB in the draft. Gotta replace the irrepressible Paymah, doncha know.

~G

Bozo Jr.
01-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Bly gone??? That would be music to my ears. :lol:

Crush05
01-02-2009, 02:42 PM
This would be a blessing to my ears!!!! Bly is overrated and over paid in every sense of the word! He was and is a mistake for the Broncos cut ties and let it go I fully agree!!!!:salute:

DenBronx
01-02-2009, 02:43 PM
i wonder what would happen to the cap if we did cut bly? if he did restructure then we might as well keep him but if not i can see us cutting him. i agree that the defense starts up front but corners shouldnt be getting beat so badly one on one all the time. he get's man handled off the ball by larger recievers, heck even smaller ones named steve smith.

DenBronx
01-02-2009, 02:45 PM
if we can cut ties with shanahan to move in a new direction then we can surely cut ties with this loser.

Crush05
01-02-2009, 02:45 PM
i wonder what would happen to the cap if we did cut bly? if he did restructure then we might as well keep him but if not i can see us cutting him. i agree that the defense starts up front but corners shouldnt be getting beat so badly one on one all the time. he get's man handled off the ball by larger recievers, heck even smaller ones named steve smith.

So true he gets beat like a dirty rug!!!!

LRtagger
01-02-2009, 02:50 PM
I thought somebody mentioned in another thread that Bly was willing to restructure.

MOtorboat
01-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Anything is possible at this point, with us having new men in charge...the new GM will probably not look too kindly on Bly's pay day vs. his performance, whereas Shanny might have been a little more forgiving since it was he who made the deal for him.

NightTrainLayne
01-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Anything is possible at this point, with us having new men in charge...the new GM will probably not look too kindly on Bly's pay day vs. his performance, whereas Shanny might have been a little more forgiving since it was he who made the deal for him.

Exactly. There's going to be a LOT of players that get "re-evaluated". Whoever the new coach is, won't have any ties to speak of with these guys.

Slick
01-02-2009, 03:06 PM
I thought somebody mentioned in another thread that Bly was willing to restructure.

I hope so. I don't think Bly is as bad as some of you make him out to be. I'd like to see him restructure and stay. Our two corners with any pash rush are better than most.

Ziggy
01-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Everyone wants to trade Bly. Can anyone give me a single team that would give up a draft pick or player for him AND pay his salary? I'd like to see what he can do with a pass rush. I'd be all for restructuring if he would do it.

MOtorboat
01-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Exactly. There's going to be a LOT of players that get "re-evaluated". Whoever the new coach is, won't have any ties to speak of with these guys.

He'll be gone if its Heckert and Spagnuolo.

Bozo Jr.
01-02-2009, 03:12 PM
person #1: Geez Bly really sux today!

person #2: But he did make that one tackle. :rolleyes:

person #1: Ya, I guess, but wow he gets beat deep every game.

person #2: Well he might get better in time.

Broncos Fans: Times Up Scrub, hit the road! :lol:

Nature Boy
01-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Dre Bly sucked!

SmilinAssasSin27
01-02-2009, 06:25 PM
I'll lose no sleep if he leaves. He can make some plays, but takes way too many risks IMHO.

TXBRONC
01-02-2009, 06:33 PM
No loss here. If we gain cap room then cut him. I wouldnt mind S Atogwe from St. Louis and look for safties and db's on the 2nd day of the draft.

It is possible that to clear up space under the salary cap to sign a defensive lineman, the Denver Broncos will cut a high salaried player, which may be Dre Bly, according to Pro Football Weekly.
Analysis: Bly had just two interceptions this season and was a part of what turned out to be a horrid Broncos pass defense, though the lack of a pass rush likely didn't help.

Even if we don't sign defensive lineman from free agency I think there is still a very good chance Bly will be given his walking papers.

WARHORSE
01-02-2009, 06:36 PM
If Spagnolio is brought in, Im thinking Bowlen will give him what he wants defensively.

Numer one on my list: Asomugha

After him, defensive line help, or LBers.

If that means cutting Bly, to free up some money, then so be it. We dont need any more cap space to wiggle around in this year. We got what we need and then some.

Its revenue we need.

TXBRONC
01-02-2009, 06:55 PM
If Spagnolio is brought in, Im thinking Bowlen will give him what he wants defensively.

Numer one on my list: Asomugha

After him, defensive line help, or LBers.

If that means cutting Bly, to free up some money, then so be it. We dont need any more cap space to wiggle around in this year. We got what we need and then some.

Its revenue we need.

If Spagnuolo is our next head football coach I don't see him bringing in Asomugha. I think he'll work on the front seven as first priority.

DenBronx
01-02-2009, 07:12 PM
If Spagnuolo is our next head football coach I don't see him bringing in Asomugha. I think he'll work on the front seven as first priority.

i see him looking long and hard at haynesworth before he does nnamdi. i think haynesworth is going to command more money but money well spent. i really dont see us breaking the bank for yet another corner when in reality there are at least 3-4 positions on the d that needs to upgraded first.

TXBRONC
01-02-2009, 07:24 PM
i see him looking long and hard at haynesworth before he does nnamdi. i think haynesworth is going to command more money but money well spent. i really dont see us breaking the bank for yet another corner when in reality there are at least 3-4 positions on the d that needs to upgraded first.

I agree, I could see the new coaching regime looking to try and get Haynesworth over a cornerback especially if its someone like Spagnuolo.

Watchthemiddle
01-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Everyone wants to trade Bly. Can anyone give me a single team that would give up a draft pick or player for him AND pay his salary? I'd like to see what he can do with a pass rush. I'd be all for restructuring if he would do it.

Dallas.

We could have 4 Champs in the backfield and they would get burnt with our pass rush.

Trade him for whatever we can get for him. Bring in a player or two who can put heat on the QB on a consistent basis.

DenBronx
01-02-2009, 07:35 PM
I agree, I could see the new coaching regime looking to try and get Haynesworth over a cornerback especially if its someone like Spagnuolo.

if i was a rookie head coach and wanted to make a splash then id get him. you cant go wrong and our defense would instantly look 50% better. you have to wonder what a guy like moss and doom could actually do on the ends when they had a real dt that commands double teams every single down. even our linebackers will be lights out. bring in a maualuga or jl with guy like chung in the 2nd and this d is going to be a top 10 d.

with 31 mill available and possiblly cutting or restructuring bly im almost certain bowlen will allow us to at least interview him. bowlen doesnt want to look like a jackass, so in getting a coach like spag and a dt like haynesworth would make him look like he made a wise decision. it's just sad when we could have easily got rogers last year for a 3rd.

DenBronx
01-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Dallas.

We could have 4 Champs in the backfield and they would get burnt with our pass rush.

Trade him for whatever we can get for him. Bring in a player or two who can put heat on the QB on a consistent basis.

maybe they could put carpenter in the deal?

d ware???:laugh:

TXBRONC
01-02-2009, 07:43 PM
if i was a rookie head coach and wanted to make a splash then id get him. you cant go wrong and our defense would instantly look 50% better. you have to wonder what a guy like moss and doom could actually do on the ends when they had a real dt that commands double teams every single down. even our linebackers will be lights out. bring in a maualuga or jl with guy like chung in the 2nd and this d is going to be a top 10 d.

with 31 mill available and possiblly cutting or restructuring bly im almost certain bowlen will allow us to at least interview him. bowlen doesnt want to look like a jackass, so in getting a coach like spag and a dt like haynesworth would make him look like he made a wise decision. it's just sad when we could have easily got rogers last year for a 3rd.

We'll see what happens. If Denver wishes too they can make a nice offer but it doesn't mean Haynesworth will accept it.

elsid13
01-02-2009, 07:55 PM
The guy has 16 million signing bonus I think the cap it would like 10 million dollar if he is cut.

dogfish
01-02-2009, 08:32 PM

realistically, we're probably not going to get a chance to look at either of those players. . . the titans are already negotiating a deal with haynseworth, and the fade is all but certain to franchise asomugha again. . .

Superchop 7
01-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Bly deserves a pay cut.

Re-negotiate the deal.

Or cut him June 1.

skycoyote
01-02-2009, 10:32 PM
I would hope he is gone.

Shazam!
01-02-2009, 11:17 PM
PLEASE no overpaid FAs DLinemen!

If we get Spagnuolo, we can Draft linemen and he will make SURE they're effective.

He's truly loved here in NY. The Giants defense is great. If we could be 50% of their defense we'd be in the playoffs next season.

PatricktheDookie
01-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Spagnuolo would make me happy.

And I wouldn't mind getting rid of Bly at all.

But I'd hate to get rid of Bly and pick up a more-expensive Bly-like defensive lineman.

Shazam!
01-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Broncos FAs-

21 Tatum Bell RB
91 Ebenezer Ekuban DE
82 Darrell Jackson WR
20 Marlon McCree FS
66 Tom Nalen C
90 Kenny Peterson DT
28 Michael Pittman RB
87 Jeb Putzier TE
11 Patrick Ramsey QB
86 Edell Shepherd WR
58 Nate Webster ILB
64 Erik Pears OT
23 Andre Hall RB

Pears and Ramsey Denver will keep. Nalen for OL Coach!!!

DenBronx
01-03-2009, 12:34 AM
i could care less if we resigned any of our free agents. ramsey needs to go and bring in a guy like boller or sims.

ekuban is the only guy we should keep.

Nature Boy
01-03-2009, 12:46 AM
i could care less if we resigned any of our free agents. ramsey needs to go and bring in a guy like boller or sims.

ekuban is the only guy we should keep.

Great idea. They were both QBs I wanted Denver to draft a few years ago.

SR
01-03-2009, 12:57 AM
Free up his money and go get Peppers. Champ, Bell and Williams would be just fine with pressure from Peppers.

We won't get shit for pressure on the ends if we don't get a good tackle, at least one. If we have one stud DE and a bunch of lame-o tackles and opposite ends, they will just double Peppers every down and he'll be useless like the DEs we have now.

miguelon
01-03-2009, 01:39 AM
One obvious thing that I would like to see is that we acquire either through the draft or free agency defensive tackles that understand a thing or two about gap responsibility!!!

We don't need to see any more of these huge running plays against our defense Sunday in and Sunday out.

Chastise me if I'm wrong, but a lot of that has to do with coaching, something that we no doubt have lacked for the last three seasons. That being said we need to bring a defensive minded head coach first thing (which is a no-brainer!)

Poet
01-03-2009, 01:51 AM
PLEASE no overpaid FAs DLinemen!

If we get Spagnuolo, we can Draft linemen and he will make SURE they're effective.

He's truly loved here in NY. The Giants defense is great. If we could be 50% of their defense we'd be in the playoffs next season.

Haynesworth is the best NT in football. NT is the most important position for a defense.

You can't really overpay a guy like that when you look at what some players (like Bly) make.

I think the big question with Haynesworth is his past. As someone (I think it may have been GEM) point out awhile ago, when you mess up THAT bad you have to play every year to the best of your ability. Especially on a team with Fischer, who doesn't play with any of that crap.

If you did sign him, he could very well end up being the best DT in the game (again), and make average LBs look real good (again), and help out his ends, rush the passer himself, and help the secondary.

The trickle down effect a dominant DT has is insane. However, if he ends up being his former self....................ugh.

Broncolingus
01-03-2009, 04:18 AM
Bly might be gone to free cap room

"Well...bye."

http://www.theboxset.com/images/reviewcaptures/612capture_tombstone03.jpg

PatricktheDookie
01-03-2009, 04:25 AM
Haynesworth is the best NT in football. NT is the most important position for a defense.

You can't really overpay a guy like that when you look at what some players (like Bly) make.

I think the big question with Haynesworth is his past. As someone (I think it may have been GEM) point out awhile ago, when you mess up THAT bad you have to play every year to the best of your ability. Especially on a team with Fischer, who doesn't play with any of that crap.

If you did sign him, he could very well end up being the best DT in the game (again), and make average LBs look real good (again), and help out his ends, rush the passer himself, and help the secondary.

The trickle down effect a dominant DT has is insane. However, if he ends up being his former self....................ugh.

Contract year is my concern.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-03-2009, 11:22 AM
Broncos FAs-

21 Tatum Bell RB
91 Ebenezer Ekuban DE
82 Darrell Jackson WR
20 Marlon McCree FS
66 Tom Nalen C
90 Kenny Peterson DT
28 Michael Pittman RB
87 Jeb Putzier TE
11 Patrick Ramsey QB
86 Edell Shepherd WR
58 Nate Webster ILB
64 Erik Pears OT
23 Andre Hall RB

Pears and Ramsey Denver will keep. Nalen for OL Coach!!!

No Tatum? Really? Seems to me he was the only one who came to play vs SD and ran the hell out of the ball. And as much many hated him, wasn't he sharing the rock w/ MA when we went to the AFCCG? I don't get why so many people discount that. It seems like noone liked any of the individuals from that team, but that team still won. He surely isn't the perfect RB, but I say keep him, Young, Hillis and draft a round 2 or 3 RB.

TXBRONC
01-03-2009, 12:03 PM
realistically, we're probably not going to get a chance to look at either of those players. . . the titans are already negotiating a deal with haynseworth, and the fade is all but certain to franchise asomugha again. . .

I thought the Titans were seriously thinking of letting him go or franchising him. I do admit when I heard that it was early in the season.

The Raiders franchising Asomugha wouldn't surprise me. If Davis takes that retarded move all it will do is piss off Asomugha.

dogfish
01-03-2009, 01:40 PM
I thought the Titans were seriously thinking of letting him go or franchising him. I do admit when I heard that it was early in the season.

The Raiders franchising Asomugha wouldn't surprise me. If Davis takes that retarded move all it will do is piss off Asomugha.

they made an agreement that they wouldn't franchise haynseworth again, but i heard a few days ago that negotiations are under way for a monster new deal. . . now that the regular season is over they are free to negotiate, and can lock him up before he has a chance to hit the market. . . .

WARHORSE
01-03-2009, 01:43 PM

Though he will address the front seven, he will address the entire defense.

Asomugha is worth the money.......Haynesworth is too IF he keeps playing hard.

Every position will need to be evaluated and addressed.

Some will come in the draft, some in Fagency.

Not that we'll be getting both Haynesworth and Nnamdi.

Will we get Nnamdi? 99.99999 no.

I think we will make a play for some Dlinemen though.

I hope Spagnola comes in as long as he keeps Bates.

TXBRONC
01-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Though he will address the front seven, he will address the entire defense.

Asomugha is worth the money.......Haynesworth is too IF he keeps playing hard.

Every position will need to be evaluated and addressed.

Some will come in the draft, some in Fagency.

I agree both are worth the money but as Dog pointed out the likelihood of their availability is doubtful.

DenBronx
01-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Spagnuolo would make me happy.

And I wouldn't mind getting rid of Bly at all.

But I'd hate to get rid of Bly and pick up a more-expensive Bly-like defensive lineman.

by reading blue runs post and seeing what spag can do with average cb's i'm beggining to wonder if bly should stick around. i think slowiks system flat out sucked! also i didnt realize bly is only getting 3.2 mill over the next couple of years and he already stated he would restructure.

again, after reading blue runs post it sorta made me change my mind a bit on the secondary. if he gets our front 4 to be like they are in ny then i think we might all be champ and bly bandwagoners. never got off the bailey wagon but ive been of the bly wagon since he's got here.

Tned
01-05-2009, 10:42 PM

Ok, not to doubt PFW's logic here, but I think I am going to have to. Oops, I guess I do mean to question it.

Ok, unless there was a contract restructure before this year, I don't see how the broncos come out ahead cutting Bly.

His Salary the next three years is:
$3.25 M
$3.25 M
$4.00 M

However, he has been paid $13.5 M in signing bonuses, $4.5 in '07 and $9.0 in '08, so that prorates out at $3.15 million a year in prorated signing bonuses, meaning if he was cut, there would be a $9.45 million cap hit.

However, he also received a $2.9 million bonus in '07, which wasn't classified a signing bonus, but certain roster and other bonuses still can be prorated for cap purposes, so if that $2.9 million was spread for cap purposes, that would be another $1.74 million, so.

It looks to me like if the Broncos cut Bly there would be a cap hit of between $9.45 and $11.19 million. If they designate him a June 1st cut, then they would be able to spread it, I believe 1/3 in '09 and 2/3 in '10, meaning the cap hit in '10 is roughly $3.3 million, but in 2010 it would be $6.6 million or so.

If they keep him, then the 'cap' number would be the salary + prorated bonus, so his cap number the next three years would be approximately:

$6.4 M (possibly $6.98 M)
$6.4 M ($6.98 M)
$7.15 M ($7.73 M)

So, if he is cut, we save roughly $3 million next year (assuming he is designated a June 1st cut), break even in '10, and save $7.15 M in '11.

It would make more sense to me to keep him in '09 and '10 and cut him prior to '11.