PDA

View Full Version : Champ Bailey: No one stops Calvin Johnson one-on-one

DenBronx
10-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 29, 2011, 1:45 PM EDT

Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey will spend most of Sunday covering Lions receiver Calvin Johnson, but he won’t do it alone.

Bailey said it’s just not realistic to think any cornerback is going to consistently match up one-on-one with Johnson, and that every team has to be ready to give safety help to the cornerback who draws the Megatron assignment.

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/29/champ-bailey-no-one-stops-calvin-johnson-one-on-one/

Revis would be shooting his mouth off about his island.

Meanwhile, Champ is still the shutdown king of the NFL and he is very humble about it. Gotta love the Champ!

SoCalImport
10-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Gotta love Champs honesty here. It's absolutely true. IMHO CJ is the most talented and physically dominant wr in todays NFL.

Nick
10-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Gotta love Champs honesty here. It's absolutely true. IMHO CJ is the most talented and physically dominant wr in todays NFL.

More debatable, Maybe the most dominant person for any position in NFL. I think the last person I saw so gifted for a position was Sean Taylor.

I Eat Staples
10-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Love Champ's attitude. The players who brag and talk shit before games end up biting off more than they can chew. No corner in this league can shut down Megatron, better to acknowledge it and work on ways to minimize the damage he can do rather than make it a personal challenge and get burned.

UnderArmour
10-29-2011, 06:26 PM
He's just being his usual modest self. I hope that Matt Stafford makes the mistake of testing Champ Bailey. Bailey will have 2 or 3 interceptions if Stafford tries to force the ball to Calvin Johnson. I'm actually really looking forward to it because it's been such a long time since Champ has been tested.

BroncoTech
10-29-2011, 06:36 PM
I like Champ. He's killer on the run too, still has it in coverage. I'd like to see him get an int this week. If he gets one, I'd even let him blitz on the 3rd and 6+ next time. Champ only gets to blitz once or twice a year maybe this is his week.

DenBronx
10-29-2011, 08:18 PM
It's funny to read all the Jets fans comments about Revis in the article. It's like they didnt even bother reading it.

They know nothing about Champ, zilch, zero, nada....nothing!

Revis is a flash in the pan and Bailey does it year after year after year while being incredibly modest about it. He even took a lesser amount to play for the team he loves. Meanwhile Revis shafts his team and the fans to get a payday.

getlynched47
10-29-2011, 08:19 PM
1) Andre Johnson
2) Larry Fitzgerald
3) Calvin Johnson

claymore
10-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Built in excuse. Should have kept Portis. :smh:

cmc0605
10-29-2011, 10:57 PM
I came online with the intention of posting a Champ vs. Calvin Johnson article, but then seen this. This, to me, will be one of the much more interesting aspects of the game, but it has been lost in all the QB talk. Bailey is still a high quality corner, and effectively shut down Brandon Marshall last week (aside from maybe the 16 yard catch or so in overtime, Marshall only had a few catches for minimal gains against Bailey. Several of Marshalls catches came when they lined him up in the slot where Champ doesn't go).

That said, Calvin Johnson is among the top 2 receivers in the league (I also have Andre Johnson in mind here). The guy is a 6' 6'' beast. I have Calvin on my fantasy team (which makes it a tough week for what I'm routing for!!), and every week he has either given 100+ yards and/or TDs, and is now constantly ranked as the #1 fantasy WR to have by the "experts." The earlier part of the season was great when he pulled in 2 TDs four games in a row (that's not a typo if you haven't been following the Lions).

Locnar
10-30-2011, 01:56 AM
I'm not worried about Champ.. It's the other jabroni's back there that have me worried. We would have Tron locked up all day but Burleson could slide under the radar and catch for over 100 on us..

Canmore
10-30-2011, 02:02 AM
I'm not worried about Champ.. It's the other jabroni's back there that have me worried. We would have Tron locked up all day but Burleson could slide under the radar and catch for over 100 on us..

Who's going to take Pettigrew. I have nightmares of him having a huge game.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-30-2011, 08:08 AM
Who's going to take Pettigrew. I have nightmares of him having a huge game.

Exactly! I worry more about Pettigrew and even, dare I say, Scheffler. Dawkins isn't the guy I want to see matched up on them. Hopefully we'll rotate Harris, Moore, and Carter in on passing downs like we did last week when we kept bringing Dawkins off the edge on a blitz.

Also, this is just as much about our D-line vs the Lions' O-line and whether or not Knowshon can really get it going against a defense that will give up rushing yards in buckets. I also hope Dennis Allen can get pressure on a gimpy Stafford whose O-line struggles in pass protection. These are just as big a factor as Champ vs Johnson.

BroncoStud
10-30-2011, 12:12 PM
1) Andre Johnson
2) Larry Fitzgerald
3) Calvin Johnson

It's hard to justify Andre Johnson when he can NEVER stay healthy...

DenBronx
10-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Well Champ you sure proved to be right today. :laugh:

UnderArmour
10-30-2011, 05:31 PM
Well Champ you sure proved to be right today. :laugh:

Champ got burned on one play by Calvin. The other times our moronic coaching staff kept Harris in the slot on him instead of moving Champ to shadow him the entire game. Horrible game planning and horrible in making an adjustment.

Ravage!!!
10-30-2011, 06:57 PM
You can't put Champ on him every snap. Thats why they move formations around to cause mismatches. Thats what it is. I you put Champ on Johnson the entire game, you force the 1-n-1 match-ups across the board....or create holes in larger gaps of the D. You have to mix up the defenses or it would have been worse....yes... worse.

UnderArmour
10-30-2011, 07:02 PM
You can't put Champ on him every snap. Thats why they move formations around to cause mismatches. Thats what it is. I you put Champ on Johnson the entire game, you force the 1-n-1 match-ups across the board....or create holes in larger gaps of the D. You have to mix up the defenses or it would have been worse....yes... worse.

The hell you can't put Champ on him every play. Don't be ridiculous.

Ravage!!!
10-30-2011, 07:03 PM
The hell you can't put Champ on him every play. Don't be ridiculous.

Ok... you got me. :coffee:

DenBronx
10-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Actually you can put him 1v1 on CJ every play. Unless the Lions switch things so fast the D doesnt have time to adjust and that would be the only exception. But yeah, I see it happen alot with man on man coverages.

Ravage!!!
10-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Actually you can put him 1v1 on CJ every play. Unless the Lions switch things so fast the D doesnt have time to adjust and that would be the only exception. But yeah, I see it happen alot with man on man coverages.

You put champ man-o-man on Johnson every play, and you get beat worse. QBs look for the man-o-man matchup, especially with a guy like Johnson, and there is a reason for it. Crossing routes would open up, especially with the strength of Johnson at the LoS.

Its MUCH easier to exploit 1-n-1 coverage...and if yo play 1n1 coverage with Bailey chasing Johnson back and forth across the field, that completely changes the dfense for the REST of the team....which we don't have the personnel to do. That kind of coverage would cause HUGE holes in the defense, that most likely would result in larger runs after the catch.

Its not so much a matter of "can you do it"... its "can you do it and succeed"... HUGE difference.

DenBronx
10-30-2011, 08:49 PM
You put champ man-o-man on Johnson every play, and you get beat worse. QBs look for the man-o-man matchup, especially with a guy like Johnson, and there is a reason for it. Crossing routes would open up, especially with the strength of Johnson at the LoS.

Its MUCH easier to exploit 1-n-1 coverage...and if yo play 1n1 coverage with Bailey chasing Johnson back and forth across the field, that completely changes the dfense for the REST of the team....which we don't have the personnel to do. That kind of coverage would cause HUGE holes in the defense, that most likely would result in larger runs after the catch.

Its not so much a matter of "can you do it"... its "can you do it and succeed"... HUGE difference.

You play Bailey on every #1 WR but you dont negate help. Bailey said it himself "No one stops CJ 1v1" But as you can see from the game today the plan was to have Bailey cover him 1v1 but expect help when needed.

Ravage!!!
10-30-2011, 09:13 PM
You play Bailey on every #1 WR but you dont negate help. Bailey said it himself "No one stops CJ 1v1" But as you can see from the game today the plan was to have Bailey cover him 1v1 but expect help when needed.

He got beat on the 1n 1..and obviously you need safety help...>BUT... when you commit one guy to cover the one WR, then you commit the safety to cover what that corner wasn't covering if in another coverage. Champ wasn't man-to-man on Johnson entirely. Couldn't do it. Can't do it.

Its why Detroit uses Calvin as they do. They have teams doubling him, bracketing him, and keeping safeties over the top. What happens, is that Calvin gets very few pases to him in the first half. Its what Johnson was saying after the game "I know thats the way it is, and I know that the opportunities are going to be limited. But you have to do what you do to get the other guys open." Thats my point. Sure you can put Bailey on Johnson, but that creates havoc for the rest of the defense in the long run if Champ is tied up going side-line to side-line with a single WR. It creates holes

DenBronx
10-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Really with the way the new rules are in the NFL any DB is going to get exposed no matter how good he is.

John Lynch said thats a big reason why he's out of the NFL. His whole paycheck would go to the NFL. Kinda drastic and really Lynch is out of the NFL because of his age but I do see what he meant. Its a sissy league now.