PDA

View Full Version : McGahee now holds the costliest stiff arm in history.

DenBronx
10-29-2011, 12:44 PM
McGahee fined $7,500 for breaking hand on Smith’s facemask

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 29, 2011, 10:59 AM EDT

Reuters
Broncos running back Willis McGahee may have had the costliest stiff arm in NFL history on Sunday.

Mike Klis of the Denver Post reports that McGahee got a $7,500 fine for grabbing the facemask of Miami’s Sean Smith on Sunday. And that’s not even the worst thing that happened to McGahee on the play.

Read the rest:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/29/mcgahee-fined-7500-for-breaking-hand-on-smiths-facemask/

Nomad
10-29-2011, 12:47 PM
I believe Ray Rice had a fine for a stiff arm a couple weeks ago. Oh well, I guess you gotta stiff arm in the chest or shoulders.

DenBronx
10-29-2011, 12:49 PM
I guess it was costliest because,

It wiped out an 11 yard run.
We got a penalty on the play.
McGahee broke his hand.
He will miss 1-2 games.
The NFL fined him $7,500.

MNPatsFan
10-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Oh well, I guess you gotta stiff arm in the chest or shoulders.Not sure if that is the rule or not, but what is wrong with that if it is the rule?:confused:

Never understood the previous hypocrisy of penalizing the OL, DL, and DBs for hands to the face, but allowing RBs and WRs to use hands to the face.:tsk: The alleged reason the hands to the face penalty was created and enforced was to promote safety.

So why was safety not an issue when the RBs or WRs stiff armed the defender's facemask or what made that hands to the face scenario safer than when the DL, OL and DB's hands strike the opponent's facemask? The answer is there was NO difference and either neither penalty should be called or the penalty should be consistently called whenever it happens regardless of the perpetrator.

Dzone
10-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Dang, sucks because Mcgahee was running as well as he has his whole career.
Speaking of expensive- How about Dumervil making $14 MIllion this year
http://www.milehighsports.com/?p=6748

Nomad
10-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Not sure if that is the rule or not, but what is wrong with that if it is the rule?:confused:

Never understood the previous hypocrisy of penalizing the OL, DL, and DBs for hands to the face, but allowing RBs and WRs to use hands to the face.:tsk: The alleged reason the hands to the face penalty was created and enforced was to promote safety.

So why was safety not an issue when the RBs or WRs stiff armed the defender's facemask or what made that hands to the face scenario safer than when the DL, OL and DB's hands strike the opponent's facemask? The answer is there was NO difference and either neither penalty should be called or the penalty should be consistently called whenever it happens regardless of the perpetrator.

:lol:you went on a rant for nothing because I wasn't questioning the rule, just saying oh well the rbs are gonna have to adjust. You're correct in what you say though RBs have been stiff arming tacklers in the facemask as long as I been around football and lately they've been called on it. The fines are a bit puzzling but it is what it is and rbs are gonna have to adjust.

rcsodak
10-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Dang, sucks because Mcgahee was running as well as he has his whole career.
Speaking of expensive- How about Dumervil making $14 MIllion this year
http://www.milehighsports.com/?p=6748
Pretty crappy when your $14M 1trick pony becomes a $14M 0trick pot.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

NameUsedBefore
10-29-2011, 03:53 PM
Roger Goodell is ruining this shit.

Dirk
10-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Weak sauce!

The NFL is getting too fine happy. Some are warranted...but come on.

Nomad
10-29-2011, 07:26 PM
Weak sauce!

The NFL is getting too fine happy. Some are warranted...but come on.

I agree! Hands to face penalties by lineman don't result in fines! But the players and owners have made up these rules and Goodell enforces it:whoknows:

spikerman
10-30-2011, 10:19 AM
There is no problem when a RB or WR, etc uses an open hand on the face mask, but when he grasps and twists or turns the face mask that warrants a penalty. It does seem like a pretty stiff fine, though.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-30-2011, 10:26 AM
I have no problem with them enforcing the rule on RBs and WRs, just as long as they are CONSISTENT.

Mike
10-30-2011, 11:47 AM
I have no problem with them enforcing the rule on RBs and WRs, just as long as they are CONSISTENT.

Enforce rules...stop the bs fines. Ridiculous.