PDA

View Full Version : Shanny coming out ahead

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2009, 08:11 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_11348401

Shanny coming out ahead

Quit the crying already. Game on. Now that their quickie divorce is final, the new relationship between unemployed coach Mike Shanahan and Broncos owner Pat Bowlen is a deliciously down-and-dirty football game of one-upmanship.

Winner is the guy who gets back to the Super Bowl first.

And know what?

I'm betting on Shanahan.

"I have a sign on me: I'm looking for a job," Shanahan said Wednesday, less than 24 hours after reporting to Bowlen's office, thinking the boss was taking him to lunch.

Instead, Bowlen handed his coach a pink slip attached to a $20 million golden parachute.

"I may end up regretting this decision, but right now, I'm very comfortable," said Bowlen, searching for a new coach who's a perfect 10, but professing he had not given a single thought to a possible replacement.

Twenty million bucks to go away and start over at age 56?

Good golly. Next to hoisting the Lombardi Trophy and cuddling his newborn children, this had to be one of the greatest days of Shanahan's life.

After 21 years together, the last 14 with Shanahan as absolutely, positively, the 100 percent defining personality in a team complex bearing the Bowlen name, this was an overdue and necessary break-up of a sports marriage whose thrill was long gone.

"I run the show," Bowlen said.

But did it strike anybody else as odd when Bowlen and Shanahan took separate turns Wednesday to share their misty-colored memories of the way things were at Dove Valley, the fired coach looked so ready for his next challenge, while the franchise owner appeared to be frail, uncertain and broken?

There were whispers last week Bowlen had let it be known in his inner circle the end was near for Shanahan even before an embarrassing 52-21 loss against San Diego bumped Denver from playoff consideration for a third consecutive season.

"I guess nothing is forever," said Bowlen, seeking a new direction and another championship ring. But, quite frankly, he sounded lost about how to move forward.

There's no doubting the owner's commitment to doing Denver proud. Speaking into bright TV lights has never been Bowlen's forte. Now that we've dispensed with the polite praise, however, it must be noted the 64-year-old owner's vision for his team's future seems fuzzy at best.

So after dumping his best pal in the game, maybe Bowlen could use some advice for the lovelorn, so he doesn't run out and throw cash at John Elway to hang with him at the office.

Elway is a sexy name brand, not a nose-to-the-grindstone workaholic. Hiring the legendary quarterback to do anything except sell tickets for the Broncos or tutor Jay Cutler would be a mistake.

If Bowlen wants to beat Shanahan back to the Super Bowl, the Broncos need to shop for their next coach and general manager as a complementary hammer and saw for this rebuilding project, not as separate toys.

So think of New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo in tandem with respected football architect Charley Casserly, who gave "Spags" his first job in the league 25 years ago. Or Air Force coach Troy Calhoun, who joined the Falcons from the NFL, might fit nicely working with former Denver general manager Ted Sundquist.

You get the idea. Let's hope Bowlen does.

It was time for Shanahan to go, because Bowlen felt the coach's act had grown stale in Denver. Staying longer would have jeopardized their friendship.

"My goal is always to win the Super Bowl. My next job that
Share Your Analysis

Post sports columnist Mark Kiszla fields your feedback. Look for it in Kickin' It With Kiz every Saturday.
I go to will be based on one thing: What gives you the best chance to win? Because this thing's about winning," said Shanahan, far funnier and more nonchalant in his farewell than he ever allowed himself to be as the great and powerful Oz of Broncos Nation.

Shanahan, however, always has a pen and a do-list at his fingertips. While it's a trait that sometimes results in maxing out the charge card with impulse buys of free-agent flops Niko Koutouvides and Travis Henry, the coach's relentless pursuit of victory never naps.

If Shanahan can check at least one bag of his two-suitcase ego at the door, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones would be a fool not to hire a new sheriff in Big D to make his team an instant Super Bowl favorite in 2009.

Hey, if we remember correctly, dumping Wade Phillips for Shanahan has a history of working out pretty darn well as a strategy for NFL success.

Once his sentimental tears were blinked away, here's why a coach without a job wore such a happy smile. The next football team that can lure Shanahan back in the sport will almost definitely have better talent than the group of players that got him fired.

I asked the owner of a team with a coaching vacancy how close he thought the Broncos were to winning the Super Bowl.

"We're not in the playoffs, so we are a long way away. But that could change in a hurry," Bowlen replied.

Strange as it seems, with the simple act of walking out the door in Denver, Shanahan immediately moved two big steps ahead of the Broncos in the chase for a championship.

SR
01-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Kiszla...yuck

scott.475
01-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Oh give me a break. What a trashy piece. Look, Bowlen is a smart, but secretive man. I truly do not take what he said at face value necessarily, I rather believe that he simply was not going to telegraph his moves. Bowlen and Shanahan are masters of secrecy, and I think this is just a continuation of that. If Bowlen truly, truly has no idea how he is going to move forward I would be stunned beyond belief.

That being said, I would not be at all surprised if Shanny makes it to the big show first. Lets see, some team that has the personnel yet is only missing the coach will probably snap him up. The Broncos have more work to do, a nearly complete D overhaul combined with possibly needing to train up a new coach and staff...dang Kiszla, this is not rocket science you tool.

G_Money
01-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Dear Denver Post,

I don't have a journalism degree or a bunch of NFL contacts, but I can write sports articles that don't sound like bitchy gossip columns slamming the hairdos of movie-stars on the red carpet.

If you ever decide you want to do better than Kizla, please keep me in mind.

TIA,

~G

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Mark Kiszla: 303-954-1053 or mkiszla@denverpost.com

Slick
01-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Mark Kiszla: 303-954-1053 or mkiszla@denverpost.com

:lol:

Can you post his address Carol? I'd like to do the dog poop in a burning paper bag prank on Kiszla.

CrazyHorse
01-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Dallas Cowboys + Mike Shanahan = Super Bowl

NameUsedBefore
01-01-2009, 09:34 PM
The article seems accurate enough. Shanahan lands on the right team, like the Cowboys, and he can already have the Superbowl in his sights. Bowlen has to be perfect with his next choice or we're looking at a coach carousel for the next few years.

Fan in Exile
01-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Anyone who suggests that Sundquist should come back is a total moron.

shank
01-01-2009, 09:48 PM
:lol:

Can you post his address Carol? I'd like to do the dog poop in a burning paper bag prank on Kiszla.

he called the shit poop

haroldthebarrel
01-01-2009, 09:49 PM
"I run the show"

Is it just me or is this just another guy with an ego complex at least the size of the one he just fired?
Well, it is your show Bowlen. You want to be the genious owner, now you have to put it out there.

dogfish
01-01-2009, 10:14 PM
typical moronic drivel from kiszla-- that tool is probably the biggest hack in the industry! bowlen has already lined up interviews with two of the hottest young defensive names in the business-- that's hardly the action of a "frail, uncertain and broken" man, regardless of how he looked at an emotional press conference. . .

and why in the hell do so many people assume that we need to rush out and get a name GM when we have a couple of guys in the building that have been smashing the ball clean out of the park in recent drafts? i don't get it. . . we sure as hell don't need some retread like charley casserly! let alone a return of useless ted sundquist. . . :eek: :fear:

can we get bowlen to pay kiszla to go away?

Dear Denver Post,

I don't have a journalism degree or a bunch of NFL contacts, but I can write sports articles that don't sound like bitchy gossip columns slamming the hairdos of movie-stars on the red carpet.

If you ever decide you want to do better than Kizla, please keep me in mind.

TIA,

~G

amen, G, amen!

Broncos Mtnman
01-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Kiz can be great one day and a total tool the next.

Guess what day it was when he wrote this piece of refuse?

:coffee:

Requiem / The Dagda
01-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Lollercoaster.

scott.475
01-02-2009, 12:16 AM
"I run the show"

Is it just me or is this just another guy with an ego complex at least the size of the one he just fired?
Well, it is your show Bowlen. You want to be the genious owner, now you have to put it out there.

Did you see the presser with him and Shanny? It did not at all come across as egotisitical, like the article would have you believe. Bowlen looked a little broken hearted over the situation, but to say he looked old and frail is a flat out fabrication and Kizsla should be ashamed.

Shazam!
01-02-2009, 02:13 AM
If Shanahan goes to the Jets (which I doubt,) he'd be in trouble. Playing second fiddle to the NY Giants year after year, and that team is cursed. He'd be playing in one of the toughest divisions in Football. Jets fans want him because he can beat Bellichick.

Parcells couldn't turn the Jets around. I don't think Shanahan can either.

LRtagger
01-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Worst

Article

Ever

Northman
01-02-2009, 11:54 AM
The article seems accurate enough. Shanahan lands on the right team, like the Cowboys, and he can already have the Superbowl in his sights. Bowlen has to be perfect with his next choice or we're looking at a coach carousel for the next few years.

I was going to say the same thing. Bowlen did look beaten down and for good reason. It was a tough choice for him to fire Shanahan. Shanny though, despite his mediocre last few years would be a hot commodity for any team. Denver is a sexy job for any coach but whether or not its the right one will remain to be seen. Much like the QB position, the coaching position will be a tough one to live up too. Bowlen better strike gold or will forever be criticized for pulling the plug too soon.

Northman
01-02-2009, 11:57 AM
but to say he looked old and frail is a flat out fabrication and Kizsla should be ashamed.

No its not but then again it comes down to one's perception. He looked beaten down like a dead horse. All understandable but its not a fabrication on Kizla's part.