2) Choice for GM

3) 1 free agent pickup

4) Your first 4 draft picks

SR
01-01-2009, 07:14 PM
1) Spagnuolo

2) Haven't decided yet

3) Jon Vilma

4) Rey Maualuga...that's all I care about right now...haven't researched the rest of the rounds yet...not that much in to the draft to put the time and effort in to the r&d

yardog
01-01-2009, 07:21 PM
1) Spagnuolo

2) One of the Goodmans

3) Jon Vilma and Peppers

4) Best Safety available at #12

5) Best RB available with our 2nd rd pick.

Slick
01-01-2009, 07:26 PM
1) A coach who actually gives a shit about his defense.

2)After Pioli I'll admit I have no clue. Please no to Floyd Reese or Charlie Casserly.

3) Suggs

4) !st-MLB,DT,S
2nd-MLB,DT,S
3rd-MLB,DT,S
4th-James Davis

SR
01-01-2009, 07:31 PM
The problem I have with Suggs is he is the same type of player as Jarvis Moss. Granted, he is exponentially better than Moss, but he is too small to be an every down DE and too big to be a linebacker. He's a 3-4 player, not a 4-3 player. If we brought in a defensive coordinator that wanted to impliment a 3-4, then I'd be in favor of bringing Suggs in.

Slick
01-01-2009, 07:34 PM
The problem I have with Suggs is he is the same type of player as Jarvis Moss. Granted, he is exponentially better than Moss, but he is too small to be an every down DE and too big to be a linebacker. He's a 3-4 player, not a 4-3 player. If we brought in a defensive coordinator that wanted to impliment a 3-4, then I'd be in favor of bringing Suggs in.

You're still pissed after what happened in high school.

ikillz0mbies
01-01-2009, 07:35 PM
1) Steve Spagnuolo

2) Scott Pioli. If not, I would actually like to see one of the Goodman's be GM.

3) Vilma

4) James Laurinaitis or Taylor Mays

lex
01-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Here's what I want.

1) Choice for coach

2) Choice for GM

3) 1 free agent pickup

1. Steve Spagnuolo
2. Jim Goodman
3. Albert Haynesworth
4. Beanie Wells, Alex Mack, Jason Phillips, Zack Follett

lex
01-01-2009, 07:48 PM
1) Steve Spagnuolo

2) Scott Pioli. If not, I would actually like to see one of the Goodman's be GM.

3) Vilma

4) James Laurinaitis or Taylor Mays

Vilma and then Laurinaitis?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Spag
i dunno
Derrick Ward
Brian Cushing, OLB, USC
Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
Patrick Chung, S, Oregon
Jordan Shipley, WR, Texas

Superchop 7
01-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Great research.

lex
01-01-2009, 07:49 PM
1) Spagnuolo

2) Haven't decided yet

3) Jon Vilma

4) Rey Maualuga...that's all I care about right now...haven't researched the rest of the rounds yet...not that much in to the draft to put the time and effort in to the r&d

Spagnuolo runs a 4-3, which mean there is one middle linebacker? WTH???!!!

topscribe
01-01-2009, 07:53 PM
1. Spagnuolo -- maybe, depends on interviews, etc. (In view of the failure rate, coordinators have to be considered very carefully.)

2. Parcells

3. Julius Peppers - or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

4. Rey Maualuga #1, with the others being the best defensive player available.

I would have picked Goodman for GM, but he is so good at scouting and
talent evaluation that I could not see him stuck behind a GM's desk.

-----

DenBronx
01-01-2009, 07:53 PM
1.) Cowher

2.) Pioli (If he lands with the Browns then keep the Goodmans.)

3.) Haynesworth

4.) Round 1 - MLB James Laurainitis, Round 2 - S Patrick Chung, Round 3 - RB Shonn Greene, Round 3 BPA

Slick
01-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Spagnuolo runs a 4-3, which mean there is one middle linebacker? WTH???!!!

Not all of us can be geniuses. I saw two MLB's on some posters lists too. Let it go.

DenBronx
01-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Honorable mentions,

Spag, Peppers, Nnamdi, Maualuga

DenBronx
01-01-2009, 07:57 PM
1. Spagnuolo -- maybe, depends on interviews, etc. (In view of the failure rate, coordinators have to be considered very carefully.)

2. Parcells

3. Julius Peppers - or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

4. Rey Maualuga #1, with the others being the best defensive player available.

I would have picked Goodman for GM, but he is so good at scouting and
talent evaluation that I could not see him stuck behind a GM's desk.

-----

I think Parcells is going to be with Miami for awhile.

Bozo Jr.
01-01-2009, 08:04 PM
1) Spags
2) Pioli
3) Haynesworth
4) S,RB,MLB,CB

Bozo Jr.
01-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Spag
i dunno
Derrick Ward
Brian Cushing, OLB, USC
Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
Patrick Chung, S, Oregon
Jordan Shipley, WR, Texas

Ward would be a Denver fans dream come true. That guy means business!

Superchop 7
01-01-2009, 08:12 PM
OKAY FINE, I CHALLENGED YOU, STEP UP !!!!!

Anyways, heres my choice for GM.

One of the league's top executives, Tom Heckert is in his 8th season in Philadelphia after being promoted to his current role of general manager on January 2, 2006. In this role, he works closely with Andy Reid in all player personnel matters while managing the player personnel department, which includes both college and pro scouting. On May 30, 2008, the team extended his contract through 2011.

"The lifeblood of building a successful NFL team is having a strong player personnel department. Specifically, the success in the draft," said team president Joe Banner. "Tom has been a tremendous asset in that area. He's bright and is very diligent in his work."

His first draft with the Eagles produced Lito Sheppard, Michael Lewis, Brian Westbrook and Sheldon Brown, the first three earning Pro Bowl selections. In 2004, the Eagles added two-time Pro Bowler in Shawn Andrews and another Pro Bowler Trent Cole in 2005. Prior to the 2004 draft, he also engineered the trade of 3rd-string QB A.J. Feeley to the Dolphins for their 2nd round pick in the 2005 draft, which was used to select WR Reggie Brown.

Heckert has also shown a knack for finding key rookie free agents (S Quintin Mikell, C Jamaal Jackson, DT Sam Rayburn, WR Greg Lewis, and LB Akeem Jordan among others) who not only earned roster spots, but have been solid contributors to the Eagles recent success.

Heckert, 41, joined the Eagles as the club's director of player personnel on May 21, 2001, after a 10-year stint as a member of the Miami Dolphins player personnel department. Heckert was promoted to vice president of player personnel in 2003.

"In the interview, I just felt comfortable with him," Reid said, "felt comfortable with what he knew. I knew he wouldn't be afraid to tell me his honest opinion. I knew it wouldn't matter what the scouts or the coaches said. He was going to give me a straight shot."

In 1999, he served as the Dolphins assistant director of pro personnel/college scout and was promoted to director of pro personnel in 2000. Heckert served as both a pro scout and as a college scout during his first nine seasons in South Florida.

Heckert's scouting talents have been valued by the NFL. In 2003, he was appointed by the league to the 12-person College Advisory Committee, which advises college football juniors on their draft status. In 2008, Heckert was named to the General Managers Advisory Committee, which will advise Commissioner Roger Goodell and the NFL football operations department on key issues involving player development, scouting and technology.

Over his 17-year career in the NFL, Heckert's teams have experienced just one losing season, won their division eight times and made the playoffs 12 times, including five in Philadelphia.

During Heckert's tenure in Miami, he worked under two of the most successful head coaches in NFL history - Don Shula and Jimmy Johnson - who both personally recommended Heckert for his current post with the Eagles.

Said Johnson when Heckert was hired, "I told Coach Reid if I were to come back as a head coach, Tom would be one of the first guys I'd try to hire."
y GM choice,

Superchop 7
01-01-2009, 08:19 PM
My choice for head coach,

Jim Johnson (born May 26, 1941) is currently the defensive coordinator with the Philadelphia Eagles, having joined the Eagles in 1999.

Johnson is generally accepted as one of the best defensive coordinators in the NFL. His ability to change blitzing schemes to adjust to his opponents is a large factor in the Eagles success since 2000. The Eagles have accumulated the 3rd best record in the NFL over his time with Philadelphia.[citation needed]

Because head coach Andy Reid is known more for his acumen on the offensive side of the ball, he has given complete control of the defensive unit of the team to Johnson, allowing Reid to concentrate on running the offense with his offensive coordinator, Marty Mornhinweg. Reid has repeatedly said he has full confidence in Johnson and the Eagles rewarded him accordingly, as he currently is one of the highest paid coordinators in the NFL.

Johnson's tenure in Philadelphia has been his most successful, as the Eagles have won 5 division titles, each reaping the benefits of his defenses. His schemes rely on putting pressure on opposing quarterbacks and he is often called the "Master of the Blitz". On January 22, 1999, Eagles head coach Andy Reid targeted and hired Jim Johnson as the Eagles new defensive coordinator. A veteran of 21 seasons as a NFL assistant, Johnson has proven to be the right man leading the team's defense in becoming one of the most respected units in the NFL.

"As I've said many times, Jim Johnson is the best in the business at what he does," said Reid upon signing his prized defensive coordinator to a lucrative four-year contract extension in 2005. "His defensive units continue to produce at a very high level as he puts a lot of pressure on opposing offenses."

The Eagles defense knows only one way to play and that is to attack. From 2000-07, Johnson's units rank tied for first in the NFL with 342 sacks, second in the league in 3rd down efficiency (34.3%) and red zone touchdown percentage (43.0%), and fourth in fewest points allowed (17.6 per game).

In 2001, Johnson's unit became the fourth team in NFL history to go all 16 games without allowing more than 21 points. Their streak of allowing 21 or fewer in 34 straight games was second longest in NFL history (Minnesota, 1968-71). In 1999, Johnson's unit forced a NFL-best 46 turnovers, including a team-record 5 interceptions returned for TDs.

As the Eagles defensive chief, Johnson's defense has produced 24 Pro Bowl selections: Brian Dawkins (6), Troy Vincent (5), Jeremiah Trotter (4), Hugh Douglas (3), Lito Sheppard (2), Trent Cole (1), Michael Lewis (1), Corey Simon (1), and Bobby Taylor (1).

Superchop 7
01-01-2009, 08:23 PM
I now have 2 guys putting players in the pro-bowl consistently.

AND they are smart enough not to screw with the offense.

They win with little, imagine them with Pat's drive.

Superchop 7
01-01-2009, 08:36 PM
MY FIRST ROUND PICK (I move up )

Aaron Curry LB Wake Forest
STRENGTHS
Aaron has excellent size, strength and speed to play the LB position. He is smart and understands situational football. He has shown leadership skills through his play on the field as well as demonstrated his knowledge of offenses from study in the film room. He is strong enough to meet, greet and shed offensive lineman, then be quick enough to rush the passer. He has excellent cover skills, understands the reasoning behind zone defense like a secondary coach and is a good tackler. Aaron is a franchise LB. A player you build your defense around. He is an Offensive Coordinator's nightmare when it comes to game planning.
NEEDS TO IMPROVE
There are things he needs to get better at, but nothing that makes you think that this kid is going to struggle becoming a star at the next level.
TALENT BOARD ROUND 1
Read my lips (or the words spoken by my lips)! Aaron Curry is the best LB in this draft class and this is a strong LB class. On the field, you can tell by the way he plays that he really has the respect of his fellow teammates and coaches. He is strong, fast and smart and could play any one of the LB positions and impact. Let me say this to all the USC and Ohio St fans: Aaron is the best LB in this draft class and I have all the film to prove it. This is not to downgrade any LB that has a high rating, but this should tell you that if you feel that your guy is the best in this draft, then I suggest you realize that Aaron is just a step or two better. He can stop the run and cover. He is always in the backfield making plays and pressuring QB's. He is directing and changing the defense like a coach --moving players around to put them in the right position to make plays. Aaron makes the players around him play better. That is the biggest difference between Aaron and some of the more highly rated LB's in this class. I call him Aaron (Red) Curry because once you draft him, he will spice up your defense!

Aaron Curry Wins Butkus Award
Nation's best linebacker receives surprise visit from Dick Butkus

BroncosFanFromIA
01-01-2009, 08:40 PM
1. B. Cowher-coach Romeo Crenell-Def. coord.

2. Don't know (somebody that won't mess with the offense)

3. Haynesworth would be great (need run stoppers)

4. 1st pick defensive player 2nd pick Shonn Greene (most underated running back in the draft)

Superchop 7
01-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Pick 2 (Had to move down to get Curry)

Louis Delmas- FS

Just because you've never heard of anybody in the MAC Conference, doesn't mean there isn't anybody worth watching. With the college football season beginning soon, FanHouse gives you "MAC Daddies," a look at some players you may not yet know about but should.

Louis Delmas is the starting free safety for the Western Michigan Broncos. Odds are you haven't heard of the junior, but offensive coordinators in the MAC sure know who he is. He's caused so much havoc in the middle of the field that they've had to form entire gameplans around Delmas.

The thing that has most NFL talent scouts drooling when it comes to Delmas is his amazing closing speed, and his very good instincts. At times when you're watching Delmas it seems as though he knows where the ball is going before the quarterback does. It's not something you can teach, so when you find a player with that type of ability you're extremely grateful. It's also something that NFL teams take notice of come draft day.

honz
01-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Why does everyone want a LB or S? We need to fix our line IMO. I'd go DE with the 12th pick if there is a reasonable choice there. I'm not a draft guru at all, but I think that the kid from Florida St. (Everett, I think) and Orakpo from Texas are going to be good at the next level. Whoever the top prospects at DE are, I think we need to take one...unless we address that need via FA.

Superchop 7
01-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Pick 3

2009 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

person
Nic Harris, SS, Oklahoma
Nic Harris is a big, hard-hitting safety who has given nightmares to Big 12 opponents. It started when he was a freshman and earned some starts at free safety. A year later Harris was playing corner and ended the season back at free safety, where he led the team in interceptions and started to show just how good he could be. By his junior campaign, Harris was earning all-conference accolades from just about everybody
At 6-3 and 230 pounds, Harris is a big safety. Yet, his foot speed does not suffer due to his size. Harris does a great job getting into the backfield and he is always a candidate to blitz out of the secondary.

Slick
01-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Why does everyone want a LB or S? We need to fix our line IMO. I'd go DE with the 12th pick if there is a reasonable choice there. I'm not a draft guru at all, but I think that the kid from Florida St. (Everett, I think) and Orakpo from Texas are going to be good at the next level. Whoever the top prospects at DE are, I think we need to take one...unless we address that need via FA.

I can't fault the logic that games are won and lost in the trenches, but we aren't fixing this line in one off season. I don't like the idea of drafting a ton of lineman only to have one turn out to be a player.

Were you happy with the LB and S play this year? Be honest.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2009, 08:48 PM

Problem is, the 4-3 DEs will be gone top 8. That leaves us w/ the 3-4 OLB tweeners and Michael Johnson of G Tech who has dropped quickly down drafts boards and shoed no interest in actually playing the bowl game last night. We need DL AND LBs. This happens to be a LB heavy draft. We need to take advantage of that and not reach for a risky DE.

That being said, I wanna trade back and get Cushing AND Tyson Jackson. Some call Tyson a 3-4 DE, but others say he'd be great in a 4-3 and could play DE and DT...pending on the situation. IF Spag comes in, that's how he used Justin Tuck when all his DEs were healthy. I like the flexibility he brings.

Superchop 7
01-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Pick 4

Jarron Gilbert led the Spartans in tackles for loss and quarterback sacks in 2008. (Photo by Terrell Lloyd)

Houston, Texas-----Following one of the best seasons by a San Jose State defensive lineman, Jarron Gilbert will continue his college career playing in the 2009 East-West Shrine Game, Saturday, January 17, at Robertson Stadium on the University of Houston campus.

Gilbert was the 2009 Western Athletic Conference Co-Defensive Player of the Year. His 22.0 tackles for loss are the most by a Football Bowl Subdivision this season. He finished his four-year San Jose State career with 42.0 tackles for loss – one of the top-10 figures in Western Athletic Conference history.

Superchop 7
01-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Free Agent

Suggs, Haynesworth, Peppers.

I don't care , just get 1 of them.

Slick
01-01-2009, 08:57 PM
You're hired Chop. Nice work.

honz
01-01-2009, 09:03 PM
I can't fault the logic that games are won and lost in the trenches, but we aren't fixing this line in one off season. I don't like the idea of drafting a ton of lineman only to have one turn out to be a player.

Were you happy with the LB and S play this year? Be honest.

Obviously I wasn't pleased with the safety play this year...possibly the worst in the league. We need upgrades at the LB spots, but I don't think we are as bad at LB as many think we are. I think our biggest problem is the lack of a stud DE. Doom was a ghost this year and even when he is getting after the QB, he is mediocre at best in playing the run. Our achilles heal on D is our pass rush. We consistently let QBs have all day to find an open receiver and we can't get off the field on third down because of it.

I know that we have had bad luck with drafting DLineman of late and we whoever we draft will probably need a year or two to fully develop, but the longer we ignore the issue the longer it will be an issue. Who knows though...our new coaches may be able to utilize our current player better than Shanny and Slowick were able to and we may have more talent on the line than it appears. I just think that the bottom line is that we need upgrades almost everywhere on D, but an improved line would help improve the rest of our D as well. I mean even Champ looks mediocre at times when the QB has all day to pick us apart.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Obviously I wasn't pleased with the safety play this year...possibly the worst in the league. We need upgrades at the LB spots, but I don't think we are as bad at LB as many think we are. I think our biggest problem is the lack of a stud DE. Doom was a ghost this year and even when he is getting after the QB, he is mediocre at best in playing the run. Our achilles heal on D is our pass rush. We consistently let QBs have all day to find an open receiver and we can't get off the field on third down because of it.

I know that we have had bad luck with drafting DLineman of late and we whoever we draft will probably need a year or two to fully develop, but the longer we ignore the issue the longer it will be an issue. Who knows though...our new coaches may be able to utilize our current player better than Shanny and Slowick were able to and we may have more talent on the line than it appears. I just think that the bottom line is that we need upgrades almost everywhere on D, but an improved line would help improve the rest of our D as well. I mean even Champ looks mediocre at times when the QB has all day to pick us apart.

I HATED our safeties and had that position as my #1 wish. BUT since Barrett has stepped in and there is the possibility of seeing what Woodyard can do along side of him, my thought process has changed. Let's give em some time to see what they can do and beef up the front 7 in the meantime.

...Although Mays is a frickin specimem.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/27atwater/bcandmays.jpg

Ziggy
01-01-2009, 09:17 PM

Most of the Dlineman that do make an impact take time to get to that point in the NFL. That's why I think this team needs to draft an impact MLB in the first round, and go after the Dline in free agency. There are 3 proven veteran studs available, (Peppers, Haynesworth, and Suggs) and I think we can pull one of them in.

Add an impact MLB, and safety from the draft, and our D is instantly better. With later round picks, we can supplement Dlineman and give them time to develop. Maybe even get lucky like Chicago did the year they drafted Tommy Harris in the 7th. I'm also one of the few here that think we have more talent with our young guys that can be developed with the right coaches. Moss, Doom, Thomas and Crowder all still have a chance to be much better with the right people around them.

Slick
01-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Most of the Dlineman that do make an impact take time to get to that point in the NFL. That's why I think this team needs to draft an impact MLB in the first round, and go after the Dline in free agency. There are 3 proven veteran studs available, (Peppers, Haynesworth, and Suggs) and I think we can pull one of them in.

Add an impact MLB, and safety from the draft, and our D is instantly better. With later round picks, we can supplement Dlineman and give them time to develop. Maybe even get lucky like Chicago did the year they drafted Tommy Harris in the 7th. I'm also one of the few here that think we have more talent with our young guys that can be developed with the right coaches. Moss, Doom, Thomas and Crowder all still have a chance to be much better with the right people around them.

I agree. I look forward to having a coach that can develop the young guys for the pro game. I don't think we've had that in a very long time.

honz
01-01-2009, 09:28 PM

I'd be fine with going after a stud in FA, but no Sam Adam's or Simeon Rice's please. If we could get one of those 3 guys, I d be ecstatic, but a lot of people are going to want them.

It's tough to really guess what is going to happen though since we don't have a GM or a coach right now. I too am hopeful that new coaches can help utilize some of our young lineman better, but we shall see. Whatever we do though, we need much better DLine play.

dogfish
01-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Here's what I want.

1) Choice for coach

2) Choice for GM

3) 1 free agent pickup

1. steve spagnuolo

promote bates to OC, sign sean mcdermott as DC, and get me a real D-line coach-- hopefully spags can bring mike waufle with him from NY

2. jim goodman

why **** with a good thing?

3. dunta robinson

or, if he's too expensive, i'll take phillip buchanon, kelvin hayden or bryant mcfadden-- just cut bly and give me somebody younger. . . if we're talking fantasy-land scenarios i'd take peppers, but realistically i prefer to keep the cap flexibility to re-sign most if not all of the '06 draft class. . .

4. b.j. raji (alternate selections are brandon spikes, lesean mccoy, taylor mays)

patrick chung (alternate selections are shonn greene, brian cushing, fili moala)

darry beckwith (alternate selection is james davis)

dogfish
01-01-2009, 09:41 PM

:confused:

tommy harris was a 1st round pick, not a 7th!

:lol:

but i like the rest of the post-- i'm on record as being willing to see what a real coordinator and position coach can get out of our young talent on the DL before we start investing heavily again. . .

Scarface
01-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Pick 2 (Had to move down to get Curry)

Louis Delmas- FS

Just because you've never heard of anybody in the MAC Conference, doesn't mean there isn't anybody worth watching. With the college football season beginning soon, FanHouse gives you "MAC Daddies," a look at some players you may not yet know about but should.

Louis Delmas is the starting free safety for the Western Michigan Broncos. Odds are you haven't heard of the junior, but offensive coordinators in the MAC sure know who he is. He's caused so much havoc in the middle of the field that they've had to form entire gameplans around Delmas.

The thing that has most NFL talent scouts drooling when it comes to Delmas is his amazing closing speed, and his very good instincts. At times when you're watching Delmas it seems as though he knows where the ball is going before the quarterback does. It's not something you can teach, so when you find a player with that type of ability you're extremely grateful. It's also something that NFL teams take notice of come draft day.

He hits like a tank too.

Ziggy
01-01-2009, 10:20 PM
:confused:

tommy harris was a 1st round pick, not a 7th!

:lol:

but i like the rest of the post-- i'm on record as being willing to see what a real coordinator and position coach can get out of our young talent on the DL before we start investing heavily again. . .

You're right as usual Dog. Sorry, old age is creeping up on me. They say the memory is the 2nd thing to go.

skycoyote
01-01-2009, 11:19 PM
1. Spag or Ryan

2. Goodman

3. Don't spend money on free agents.

4. Terrence Cody, DT 6-5, 365lbs
Brian Cushing, LB 6-3, 255lbs
Patrick Chung, SS, 6-0, 210
Ron Brace, DT, 6-3, 324

As you can see I think we need some big boys on the team.

Shazam!
01-01-2009, 11:26 PM
I agree with Coyote. Denver doesn't need anymore FA busts.

As long as a new defensive staff is brought in and the new Coach sees the need for a new fundamentally sound more aggressive scheme, just Draft some defense and cut some of the dead weight. The Broncos defense can be well improved in just one season. I don't mean liek Top 10 of course, even a middling defense and Denver could have won a couple more games in 2008. They aren't that far away.

LoyalSoldier
01-02-2009, 12:12 AM
1) Someone good

2) Someone good

3) Someone who can play

4) A great player, another great player, A good player, and a "WHAT A STEAL" player.

So informative aren't I?:D

underrated29
01-02-2009, 12:18 AM
just an FYI for a couple of you. Cody is returning to school and will not be available in the draft.

Zweems56
01-02-2009, 03:19 AM
1) Spagnuolo

2) Pioli first but most likely just keep Goodman.

3) Peppers

4) 1st-Rey Maualuga or Spikes
2nd-Louis Delmas, but replace this selection with Cushing if he lasts to the early second
3rd-Javon Ringer to pair with hillis, or Rashad Jennings as this year's Matt Forte. (who G and I creamed our pants over last offseason)
4th- If he declares, Maurice Evans (hopefully Spagnuolo can turn this kid into a friggin beast)

As an explanation for taking another DE when we already have a few and (if my scenario pans out, will have Spagnuolo to groom some of our young underachievers), Spagnuolo sometimes likes to use 4 DE's to create pressure. He's been known to do it in New York, and it wouldn't help us to have an actual legitimate talented DE rotation

broncofaninfla
01-02-2009, 09:20 AM
1) Spagnuolo

2) Goodman

3) Kenechi Udeze (Minnesota)

4) BJ Raji DT Boston College

dogfish
01-03-2009, 02:48 AM
okay, i've got an additional request. . . .

PACKER MINI-PURGE COMING?
Posted by Mike Florio on January 2, 2009, 9:04 p.m.
Before we received word via e-mail from the Packers that special teams coordinator Mike Stock has retired, a reader asked us via e-mail if we’d caught wind of rumors that Stock and three other members of the team’s coaching staff were in danger of being relieved of their duties.

So after hearing about Stock, we ran the rumors by a league source with knowledge of the dynamics of the team’s football operations. Though our source has heard nothing definitive, the source was aware of the rumors that Stock, defensive coordinator Bob Sanders, defensive ends coach Carl Hairston, and offensive line coach James Campen could be gone.

Campen and Sanders were working with the team when coach Mike McCarthy was hired. Harison arrived with McCarthy in 2006.

if hairston (http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/hairston_carl/) is fired, we need to go get him! of course, we're not going to be hiring assistants and position coaches until our new HC is in place, but i can hope. . .

Tned
01-03-2009, 02:51 AM
if hairston (http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/hairston_carl/) is fired, we need to go get him! of course, we're not going to be hiring assistants and position coaches until our new HC is in place, but i can hope. . .

Just remember how well the last two Packers defensive coaches (Slowik and Bates) worked out. :D

Broncolingus
01-03-2009, 04:11 AM
1) Don't know yet (Spag's if he's only who's been touted as available now and have to pick this second - Cowher if he comes available and no GM thing)

2) Pioli

3) RB, DL, LB, or Safety - whatever of best of the 4

4) Best available, Best available. Best available, Best available (all must be physical - not light and/or 'system' players)

tricks574
01-03-2009, 05:21 AM
1. I like McDaniels, just because of the big names out there I think he has the best upside. Spags is almost 50, Morris is running a defense that is about a year or 2 away from being outdated, and any college coach is a pretty big risk. He needs to bring in a solid D-Coordinator pick though, shouldn't be a problem for a guy with strong ties to Bellicheck though.

2. Pioli is the only one who stands out in the GM's to me, but if Powlen is going to hire a coach first and make that the big name guy I'd assume he goes internal for the GM.

3. Haynsworth or Peppers are probably pipe dreams. I'd offer a short term incentives laden deal to Tank Johnson, maybe try to get Bertrand Berry on the cheap. Go after Dawan Landry as well, but even if he doesn't sign long term the ravens would probably franchise him.

4. Maualuga: He does everything a linebacker has to do, he finds the ball, he gets there fast, and he gets there angry. 250 pounds of Samoan man-child will help shore up any run defense.

Best CB: Deep CB draft this year, big names will probably be off the board by now though. Still, we need to develop some talent here with Champ and Bly getting older. You could still probably get a Victor Harris, Darius Butler, or Captain Munnerlyn here, and you don't have to throw them into the fire right away.

Terrance Taylor: I won't lie, I'm a Michigan fan, and that probably factors into me loving TT, but he is an underrated DT this year. He doesn't have the upside of a player like Jean-Francois but Taylor was consistent all year and at times was downright unblockable. He can fill a hole nicely but has the athleticism to rush the passer as well. If not for a historically poor tackling linebacker and secondary corps, TT and Tim Jamison would be rated much higher than they currently are.

Roy Miller: Another DT, I know, but when you have a pressing need you don't address til round 3 its nice to shore it up with an extra pick or 2. Miller was very highly recruited coming out of HS in a class oddly full of DT recruiting busts. Miller has played a big part in Texas's impressive D-line this year though. He's not a pash rusher, but he's big and strong and can clog up the middle.