PDA

View Full Version : Broncos: great offense but a mess on defense

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2009, 04:55 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jQz1cq1Y6Tp_4r8YrfHzl94IBB3wD95EJ2TG0

Broncos: great offense but a mess on defense

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) — Mike Shanahan's successor in Denver will inherit an explosive offense that might be one healthy running back away from greatness. He'll also take over a dreadful defense that needs yet another overhaul.

Shanahan's 14-year tenure as Broncos coach ended with the franchise mired in mediocrity: a 24-24 record over the last three seasons, largely the result of too many personnel mistakes and decrepit drafts that failed to stock the defense.

Despite losing an astonishing seven tailbacks to injured reserve in 2008, the Broncos' offense, led by young stars Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, Ryan Clady and Tony Scheffler, ranked second in the NFL in yardage as Cutler set several franchise passing records in his third pro season.

The defense, on the other hand, ranked 29th, allowed an NFL-high 448 points and managed a measly 13 takeaways under Bob Slowik, Denver's third defensive boss in three years.

When Shanahan and Bowlen held tearful back-to-back news conferences on New Year's Eve to talk about their divorce, both spoke proudly of the Broncos' high-octane offense and its bright future. They also spoke of Denver's desperate need to refurbish a defense that's been the franchise's Achilles' heel for way too long.

"I don't want to put any pressure on the new head coach, but if you take a look at the offense, the youth, the talent ..." Shanahan gushed. "Defensively, we lost a couple of our captains this year (in Champ Bailey and D.J. Williams). They'll be back. We get some guys that were out, they will be back. Through free agency and the draft, people want to be a Denver Bronco. This is the best organization in sports."

The Broncos' new boss will need to get right to work addressing needs along the defensive line, at linebacker and in the secondary.

He doesn't need to tinker with the offense at all, unless he feels that Ryan Torain (knee) and Peyton Hillis (hamstring) might not return to full health in 2009.

Shanahan said the team's offense will soon put the Broncos in the hunt for another championship. But if 2008 proved anything, it's that without a solid defense and a decent running game, Cutler can't shoulder the burden by himself, no matter his immense talents and strong right arm.

Only five players from his 2001-05 drafts remain on the roster, and two from the four-man draft of 2007, defensive linemen Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder, were inactive more often than not this season. The list of unproductive free agents is nearly as long as the list of draft busts.

Bowlen seemed a little bit fuzzy on how to move forward. He said he didn't want to give his next coach total control of football operations the way he did Shanahan.

"I don't anticipate the next coach will have both jobs," Bowlen said.

And Bowlen said he wanted to focus on hiring a coach, then a general manager. That unconventional approach could eliminate some potential candidates such as Scott Pioli, Bill Cowher or Bill Parcells from front office consideration because they would presumably want a say in hiring the coach.

Bowlen said the current front office trio of Jim Goodman, Brian Xanders and Jeff Goodman would stay in place. Although Jim Goodman is the vice president of football operations and player personnel, Bowlen wouldn't call him a general manager.

Bowlen said he'll consult with chief operating officer Joe Ellis in selecting the next head coach. The owner also said most of Shanahan's assistants will be fired, although they'll be considered on a coach-by-coach basis.

Cutler wants quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates to stick around. He just signed a contract extension and has a budding relationship with the third-year pro who earned his first Pro Bowl nod this season.

Keeping Bates would soothe Cutler, who publicly criticized Bowlen's firing of Shanahan. Bowlen said he would keep Cutler in the loop on the coaching search out of respect for his star.

"I talked to Jay Cutler, and Jay understood ... I didn't get any negative feedback," Bowlen said. "I think he understands enough about the business of football, the game of football, that there are going to be coaching changes and changes in organizations. I didn't sense that Jay had any negative feelings about it, and I'm sure he is very interested in who is going to be the next head coach. Obviously, he is 'The Man' around here now, so I will be talking with Jay."

Bozo Jr.
01-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Nice read DN(C)! If we can keep Bates and the offense in tact, and bring in Spagnuolo we will definitely prosper for years to come. He's a defensive ACE. Just look at the pressure he brings on opposing QB's from that Giants D'Line!
The thought makes me salivate. :salute:

Devilspawn
01-01-2009, 05:24 PM
I don't think their offense is great, not yet anyway. It's potentially great, but when you talk about great offenses, you're talking about offenses that laugh at a 14 point deficit like a Colts, or 99-01 Rams or the '98 Vikings or the Pats last year. Right now Denver's offense could be in trouble. If Shanahan's Plug 'n' Play ZBS is gone, then you'll have to find a feature back, and no one, not even my fantasy sleeper Peyton Hillis, has estabished themselves. Bell is a one hit wonder and the others are just a committee of unprovens. Then Cutler has to play smarter more consistently. Clady's the real deal tough, that dude looks like The Thing with hair extensions. That's where it starts but Denver's offense the past 25 years has been either a great QB or a great system for any back. The great QB isn't here yet, let's see if they can retain that system.

Bozo Jr.
01-01-2009, 05:38 PM
I'll take second in the league in total yardage any year. Thats called a "GOOD" stat!

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2009, 05:43 PM
I don't think their offense is great, not yet anyway. It's potentially great, but when you talk about great offenses, you're talking about offenses that laugh at a 14 point deficit like a Colts, or 99-01 Rams or the '98 Vikings or the Pats last year. Right now Denver's offense could be in trouble. If Shanahan's Plug 'n' Play ZBS is gone, then you'll have to find a feature back, and no one, not even my fantasy sleeper Peyton Hillis, has estabished themselves. Bell is a one hit wonder and the others are just a committee of unprovens. Then Cutler has to play smarter more consistently. Clady's the real deal tough, that dude looks like The Thing with hair extensions. That's where it starts but Denver's offense the past 25 years has been either a great QB or a great system for any back. The great QB isn't here yet, let's see if they can retain that system.

I think we do have/will have a great offense - when healthy.

Tned
01-01-2009, 05:58 PM

I think you're right. The Broncos' offense is 'close' to being a great offense, but we aren't there yet. I think we have all the talent (assuming a healthy RB) to be a great offense, but right now dropped passes, INTs and missed throws need to be eliminated before this offense will really be great and score on anyone.

Right now, other defenses aren't as likely to stop our drives, as our players' mistakes.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2009, 06:16 PM
thread title=well, duh!

Superchop 7
01-01-2009, 06:16 PM
They are young and they are good.

The focus is defense.

Shazam!
01-01-2009, 11:18 PM
All the Offense needs is a Back. This is well known to the fans and everyone else about the Broncos of 2008.

"Bowlen said he wanted to focus on hiring a coach, then a general manager. That unconventional approach could eliminate some potential candidates such as... Bill Parcells from front office consideration because they would presumably want a say in hiring the coach."

Umm... I'd bring in anybody who Parcells would want. Almost everyone on Parcells coaching tree/ex-assitants is either good or excellent, like Bill Walsh's group.

muse
01-02-2009, 09:15 AM
I think our team is the perfect place for any Defensive HC. Basically, we can offer:

- A team with a complete O which will likely only need one or two draft picks this year

- A defence which has had no direction for 2 years having been through 101 different schemes from run contain to Bates' emergency scheme to Slowik's original scheme to 3-4 to 4-4 to show blitz to punt formation. The players that are kept on will be happy to finally have a set plan.

- Some great building blocks on the D; our DL has a lot of young talent there which has suffered from lack of good coaching and stability. We've got some intriguing LBs and Bailey and Bly. A lot of holes, but there are guys we can build around.

- 9 draft picks, most of which at #12. That's a pretty handy place to pick or to trade down...not to mention 2006 and 2008 show that we have good scouts. 2007 not so much, but it's clear that at least 3 of the players have potential and 1 is fast becoming a silent star (Harris).

- Shitloads of cap room. We should have ~20m next year theoretically, maybe more as guys like Henry and Javon come off the books. Whilst the FO will want to keep some back for next year (ie extending Cutler, Marshall, Scheffler and Kuper) there's a lot of money to play with and we have the means to make a splash somewhere.

- The D needs total rebuilding, so whoever becomes HC can be the architect of their defence. They can also hire all their own defensive staff.

It's a pretty attractive prospect IMO, just like Dungy's situation in Indy - although hopefully it'll take a shorter time for us to get an SB out of it.

Dreadnought
01-02-2009, 09:28 AM
As far as the existing staff goes, they need to keep Bates, but even more importantly Bobby Turner. That one is a must.

muse
01-02-2009, 09:48 AM
As far as the existing staff goes, they need to keep Bates, but even more importantly Bobby Turner. That one is a must.

I'd say Rick Dennison too: he's developed Clady, Kuper, Harris and Hamilton in his career, not to mention some of the oldies like Lepsis.

Dean
01-02-2009, 12:25 PM
All the Offense needs is a Back. This is well known to the fans and everyone else about the Broncos of 2008.

This is true only if we stay with the same scheme. Our linemen are not what you would want for an power offense that relies on drive blocking.

In that case, you need a RB, center, 1 guard and maybe two, and possibly a true blocking fullback.

topscribe
01-02-2009, 12:33 PM

That is true, except that offenses that laugh at 14-point deficits have
defenses that have a reasonable chance at forcing punts or turnovers. The
Broncos' offense, then, is not at the root of the problem: it is the defense.

Nice post, BTW.

-----

Medford Bronco
01-02-2009, 12:34 PM
IMHO if you hire a new coach you need to let him pick his whole staff

I think it is kind of undermining if you force someone on him really.

Just my take. I would not be upset if the O staff stayed however I would
not be upset if a new coach wanted to bring in his own people.

When Shanny was hired in 95 was he forced to take Wade Phillips staff?
obvioiusly not. So why not give the new coach that option as well.

Medford Bronco
01-02-2009, 12:38 PM

The 98 Broncos were there too DS.

I think this offense has parts to do great, however Cutler needs to be a much smarter QB with the ball and not throw picks in the Red Zone.

Marshall needs to stop fumbling as well, especially in key times.

Yards are only great if they lead to pts and so far that has not happened on a consistent basis.

2 out of 16 games with no turnovers. That needs to change as well. Winning teams dont turn it over that much.