PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Coaching Interviews

Pages : [1] 2

broken12
01-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Looks like raheem morris is to be interviewed, this would be great in my opinion.
http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2009/01/broncos-to-inte.html

UnderArmour
01-01-2009, 01:31 PM
It could just be to satisfy the Rooney Rule. The Browns interviewed their old Defensive coordinator(terrible coach), who happens to be black, so they could just hire whoever Pioli wants with the Rooney rule already satisfied. It is interesting though and I wouldn't mind seeing him on our sidelines next season, but this could just be for us to throw the bank at somebody else.

broken12
01-01-2009, 01:34 PM
could be right, and maybe could interview good, he fits the mold of a mike tomlin, who i believe is great on the sideline.

spikerman
01-01-2009, 01:35 PM
could be right, and maybe could interview good, he fits the mold of a mike tomlin, who i believe is great on the sideline.Except for leaving his franchise QB in a meaningless game in which he ultimately gets hurt. :D

broken12
01-01-2009, 01:40 PM
right, its his fault the qb dont have the brains to throw the ball away, and is always making plays by getting out of them situations sure bud.

spikerman
01-01-2009, 01:46 PM
right, its his fault the qb dont have the brains to throw the ball away, and is always making plays by getting out of them situations sure bud.It's his fault that he was in the game in the 1st place.

broken12
01-01-2009, 01:50 PM
whatever man, yeah probably shouldnt have been in there but maybe he wanted his offense to get some continuaty after that as$ whooping they got from the titans, they didnt perform well against tennesse so i could see why he was in the game, and at least for a half, i didnt watch the game but if he was getting constant pressure than yeah sit him. remember when shanny did that to clinton portis against the brown kept running him up the middle and ended up hurt when they were already in field goal range ended up hurting us going into indy for playoff, remember?

spikerman
01-01-2009, 01:54 PM
whatever man, yeah probably shouldnt have been in there but maybe he wanted his offense to get some continuaty after that as$ whooping they got from the titans, they didnt perform well against tennesse so i could see why he was in the game, and at least for a half, i didnt watch the game but if he was getting constant pressure than yeah sit him. remember when shanny did that to clinton portis against the brown kept running him up the middle and ended up hurt when they were already in field goal range ended up hurting us going into indy for playoff, remember?Yeah, I got to see the game and he was under constant pressure. I can understand him playing a little for continuity (especially with a bye week coming), but that injury happened pretty far into the game. I don't want to turn this into a debate about that game. We got off topic in this thread and it's totally my fault.

Back to topic.

broken12
01-01-2009, 02:01 PM
well who care anyway right, tomlin wont be here, maybe bowlen putting pressure on tampa to do something about morris, just a thought and to maybe free gruden and morris stay in tampa!

Northman
01-01-2009, 02:01 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9016454/Broncos-will-meet-with-Spagnuolo,-Morris?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162ATT=5

muse
01-01-2009, 02:05 PM
He's my guy. Very happy to hear this.

broken12
01-01-2009, 02:07 PM
another post shows denver to meet with spagnolia,

G_Money
01-01-2009, 02:09 PM
It could just be to satisfy the Rooney Rule. The Browns interviewed their old Defensive coordinator(terrible coach), who happens to be black, so they could just hire whoever Pioli wants with the Rooney rule already satisfied. It is interesting though and I wouldn't mind seeing him on our sidelines next season, but this could just be for us to throw the bank at somebody else.

It could be, but I prefer to think better of Bowlen than that.

I doubt he would go with a guy who has never even been a DC as a head coach, but sometimes you also interview guys because one of your friends (read: other owners) recommends them. "Give an interview to Morris. He's sharp as hell, you'll love him, and he deserves to get his profile bumped a bit."

Not everybody who interviews for a job has a chance at it. Sometimes you interview just so that people know you deserve another interview. To get the first one out of the way.

I like Morris. I think he's got lots of potential. I don't think he's ready yet, but I'm glad we're interviewing him instead of Denny Green to "fill a quota."

Let the deserving young guys get some pub.

~G

Italianmobstr7
01-01-2009, 02:13 PM
I'd love to get Spagnuolo. I want either him or Cowher to coach, and I think Cowher will be too expensive. Spag would help out the D tremendously I'm sure, and he would probably keep Bates around to keep the offense going. This could be awesome.

spikerman
01-01-2009, 02:13 PM
I think he should give a legit interview to Bobby Turner.

G_Money
01-01-2009, 02:16 PM
well who care anyway right, tomlin wont be here, maybe bowlen putting pressure on tampa to do something about morris, just a thought and to maybe free gruden and morris stay in tampa!

LOL this is also possible. "If you like Morris so much, why don't you keep him, fire Gruden, and we'll take Gruden off your hands since he hates the Raiders almost as much as Shanahan does?" ;)

I don't think Gruden would be a great fit here - he tends not to flourish with young players. He likes his guys to know what to do and doesn't like to have to instruct them in the nuances of the game, just the ones of his scheme, and wants them to lead themselves. He and Shanahan are a lot alike that way.

But I also don't think we're trying to force TB to promote Morris over the DC job they already promoted him to. We may just be helping TB put pressure on Gruden. Friendly Owners do each other favors like that

Spagnuolo gets just a short interview for now:

he Denver Broncos have begun their search to fill the position opened by the firing of Mike Shanahan.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Broncos will have an informal interview Saturday in New York with Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo. On Monday, they're scheduled to interview newly named Buccaneers defensive coordinator Raheem Morris.

Spagnuolo is having dinner with the Broncos brass but is not expected to go through a full grueling interview due to time constraints from previously committed interviews as well as the Giants playoff run.

Morris, named last week to replace long-time Bucs defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, is widely considered a rising star in the coaching ranks.

I like Spagnuolo's chances better than those of Morris, but I like that the first two guys on the docket are defensive-minded coaches.

~G

Den21vsBal19
01-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Another HC maybe with an axe to grind with Al????;)

yardog
01-01-2009, 02:32 PM
:tsk:

Gruden isn't half the coach Shanahan was no thanks.

topscribe
01-01-2009, 02:52 PM
I like the looks of Schwartz of Tennessee. I'm not knowledgeable enough to
say that he's "my guy," but he looks -- on the surface, at least -- to be a
strong candidate. And Fisher has repeated ad nauseum that he's ready to be
a head coach.

-----

muse
01-01-2009, 02:56 PM
I like the looks of Schwartz of Tennessee. I'm not knowledgeable enough to
say that he's "my guy," but he looks -- on the surface, at least -- to be a
strong candidate. And Fisher has repeated ad nauseum that he's ready to be
a head coach.

-----

Do you know what sort of scheme Schwartz runs? I'm a big fan of Spags' scheme (like the '05 scheme but more refined) and I think he could bring on guys like Moss, Crowder, Doom and Thomas very nicely indeed.

topscribe
01-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Do you know what sort of scheme Schwartz runs? I'm a big fan of Spags' scheme (like the '05 scheme but more refined) and I think he could bring on guys like Moss, Crowder, Doom and Thomas very nicely indeed.

No. As I mentioned, I am just not knowledgeable enough to go beyond the
recognition of a coach as a strong person, and success with his team, which
he certainly is successful.

But then, he has Haynesworth & co. helping him to that success . . .

-----

silkamilkamonico
01-01-2009, 03:15 PM

This is why I want Spagnola. He has an impeccable record of player development along the defense, and that's one thing that has sorely been missing on the defensive side of the ball. I don't believe I've seen any player development whatsoever. Even Elvis Dumervil one could argue has 'regressed'.

Players, especially along the dline, need to be developed and taught in the progression area, and I don't feel there's been any development along the dline whatsoever.

elsid13
01-01-2009, 03:17 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/WWHI/2008/wwhi122908.htm

Schwartz has earned his spurs, first entering the league as a scout with the Browns in 1993 under Bill Belichick. Completing his 10th season on head coach Jeff Fisher’s staff, he’s been Tennessee’s D-coordinator since 2001 and has consistently assembled units that are strong against the run and in third-down situations, although he has had a strong core group to work with, as is the case for Ryan in Baltimore.

Schwartz may be the most qualified assistant in terms of pure brainpower, but he has a tendency to come across as overly arrogant — a quality that should be very interesting to monitor in the coming days and weeks.

“I wish there was more consistency from Jim Schwartz,” said one veteran league source. “Would you have said he were a hot candidate last year? … He’s very, very smart, but he’s always the smartest guy in the room.

“You have to know what you’re getting and be able to manage him.”

It’s also worth noting that a few league observers believe Titans offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger could get some feelers after the job he did this year with a rejuvenated Kerry Collins under center.

Shazam!
01-01-2009, 03:54 PM
NYG fans here in NY are ?!@#ing their pants at the thought about losing Spags.

Him, Schwartz, or a deal for Kubes with Houston would be great IMO.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Another thing to consider, although it should not be a major factor, is the ability of the new coach to bring some of "his" players with him. Basically, are there any TB or NYG defensive Free Agants upcoming that he could convince to sign w/ Denver? I know the Giants have Ward as an upcoming FA, but that's on the offensive side of the ball. Even so, it'd be nice (assuming Spag would be hired here) if he could bring Ward in to complete the offense and the draft could be sloely used on defense.

Magnificent Seven
01-01-2009, 04:05 PM
I would be very happy if Bowlen chose Elway for G.M. and Gary Kubiak for head coach. However, that will not be happen. Right?

Magnificent Seven
01-01-2009, 04:09 PM
I would be very happy if Bowlen chose Elway for G.M. and Gary Kubiak for head coach. However, that will not be happen. Right?

If Elway is Broncos' G.M., he could do another blockbuster trade. Trade Cutler for Matt Ryan. Ha! Hands down, I like Cutler. :D

Ziggy
01-01-2009, 04:21 PM

Right. Me thinks.:D

Rick
01-01-2009, 04:23 PM
I like Kubes, a lot. I think he has a promising career ahead of him.

But to move this team in the right direction, anyone brought in that is NOT a defensive guru will to me be the wrong choice.

We have a great offensive, save a good RB, keep it in place with the powers that be, don't change much there but bring in a guy who knows defense that will rip it apart, remold it and actually make it good.

We need a defensive shanny. To have another offensive coach we might as well have kept shanny as who in that regard is really better?

Superchop 7
01-01-2009, 04:24 PM
I just hope it's a defensive guy that leaves the offense alone.

Tned
01-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Well, I know it's only two, but I like the early noise about the interviews. Defensive coordinators. Going with a defensive coordinator is the most likely, possibly only, way that Bates and a few of the other offensive coaches stay in place.

If they brought in a defensive minded head coach, like Cowher, he likely wipes out the entire staff and starts over. Going with a defensive coordinator, especially one that hasn't been a head coach in the past, is the best chance of the HC being willing to focus on the defense, while leaving the offense mostly unchanged.

broncophan
01-01-2009, 05:02 PM
I like Kubes, a lot. I think he has a promising career ahead of him.

But to move this team in the right direction, anyone brought in that is NOT a defensive guru will to me be the wrong choice.

We have a great offensive, save a good RB, keep it in place with the powers that be, don't change much there but bring in a guy who knows defense that will rip it apart, remold it and actually make it good.

We need a defensive shanny. To have another offensive coach we might as well have kept shanny as who in that regard is really better?

I like Kubes too.....but he , imo, has the Texans real close to being one of the better teams in the nfc.........
I just don't think he would leave now.....after all the time and effort he has vested.............

DenBronx
01-01-2009, 05:25 PM
I like Kubes too.....but he , imo, has the Texans real close to being one of the better teams in the nfc.........
I just don't think he would leave now.....after all the time and effort he has vested.............

they are in the afc south

Requiem / The Dagda
01-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Good. GOOD NEWS.

Bring Elway Back
01-01-2009, 05:45 PM
http://www.thedenverdailynews.com/article.php?aID=2884

Think this guy is pretty right on. We don't have to have a defensive minded coach. Pioli is going to the Browns if we don't get him in here for an interview quick. And then bring in Fassel.

spikerman
01-01-2009, 05:46 PM
I think that if the argument for firing Shanahan was that the message had grown stale then bringing in Kubiak would be a mistake. Kubiak is a fantastic coach, but he learned how to be a coach from Coach Shanahan so you could probably assume that the messages would be similar.

Besides, Kubiak is from Texas. Houston is home for him. I don't see him leaving voluntarily.

broken12
01-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Two league sources said the Broncos have asked for permission to speak with New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. Permission has not yet been granted, but Denver is expected to get the go-ahead to discuss the job with Bill Belichick's young offensive coach.
More from ESPN.com

spikerman
01-01-2009, 05:52 PM
It sounds like they're going to talk to everybody. I'm going to go turn my cellphone on.

broken12
01-01-2009, 06:02 PM
The Broncos have reached out to several candidates to become their new head coach, including University of Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, and will interview at least two candidates in the coming days. per rocky mountain news

HOPE NOT!!!

Tned
01-01-2009, 06:05 PM
http://www.thedenverdailynews.com/article.php?aID=2884

Think this guy is pretty right on. We don't have to have a defensive minded coach. Pioli is going to the Browns if we don't get him in here for an interview quick. And then bring in Fassel.

I doubt Bowlen is going to interview Pioli, even if it might be the right thing to do.

As to Fassel, he has been to Denver once and I wasn't impressed with him. It is possible he has grown greatly in the 16 years or so since he was here, but at that time reuniting him with Elway was supposed to bring us to the promised land.

UnderArmour
01-01-2009, 06:14 PM
I doubt Shanahan is going to interview Pioli, even if it might be the right thing to do.

As to Fassel, he has been to Denver once and I wasn't impressed with him. It is possible he has grown greatly in the 16 years or so since he was here, but at that time reuniting him with Elway was supposed to bring us to the promised land.

Me too. It'll definitely not happen. Kind of hard for him to do considering Shanahan is gone.

DenBronx
01-01-2009, 06:14 PM
to even consider fassel is idiotic.

spag would be a smart move though.

JKcatch724
01-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Fassel makes me wanna throw up.

Thnikkaman
01-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Vall me a homer, but I would like to see Kirk Ferentz get an interview.

Tned
01-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Me too. It'll definitely not happen. Kind of hard for him to do considering Shanahan is gone.

That's what I get for sleeping until 3:30, still groggy.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2009, 08:04 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_11350685?source=rss

Broncos to interview Spagnuolo, Morris, McDaniels

The search for Mike Shanahan's replacement has begun. The Broncos confirmed they will meet with New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo on Saturday and Tampa Bay defensive backs coach Raheem Morris on Monday.

The Broncos have also requested permission to interview New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, the team confirmed.

Spagnuolo, 49, is considered the No. 1 head coaching candidate in the NFL. He was the only defensive coach who frustrated the previously undefeated New England Patriots in 2007, helping the Giants upset them in the Super Bowl.

Spagnuolo became the Giants' defensive coordinator in 2007 after eight years with the Philadelphia Eagles. After being courted by the Washington Redskins last
Raheem Morris of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on December 14, 2008 in Atlanta.. (Getty Images North America | Al Messerschmidt)
year, the Giants rewarded him with a three-year contract for more than $2 million a year.

Morris, 32, has gradually risen through the coaching ranks after playing at Hofstra and working his way up from graduate assistant at the school in 1998. He broke in with the Tampa Bay Bucs in 2002 as a defensive quality control coach and also spent a season as defensive coordinator at Kansas State.

During his time at Tampa Bay, Morris worked with assistants Kyle Shanahan, now with the Houston Texans, and Jeremy Bates, now the Broncos quarterback coach.

McDaniels, 32, directed a Patriots offense that set an NFL record with 589 points in 2007 and finished fifth in the league this season in yards gained, despite losing all-pro quarterback Tom Brady in the first quarter of the first game to a season-ending knee injury.

dogfish
01-01-2009, 08:44 PM
The Broncos reportedly will have an informal interview with Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo Saturday in New York.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9016454/Broncos-will-meet-with-Spagnuolo,-Morris?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162ATT=5

:whoo: :whoo:

:woot:

Another thing to consider, although it should not be a major factor, is the ability of the new coach to bring some of "his" players with him. Basically, are there any TB or NYG defensive Free Agants upcoming that he could convince to sign w/ Denver? I know the Giants have Ward as an upcoming FA, but that's on the offensive side of the ball. Even so, it'd be nice (assuming Spag would be hired here) if he could bring Ward in to complete the offense and the draft could be sloely used on defense.

no one to speak of from the G-men, but tampa has jermaine phillips and phillip buchanon entering free agency, and jovan haye also i believe. . . .

a scenario that would make me more excited than having the new guy bring players with him would be spagnuolo bringing D-line coach mike waufle with him from new york. . . .

:D

lex
01-01-2009, 08:45 PM

:woot:

no one to speak of from the G-men, but tampa has jermaine phillips and phillip buchanon entering free agency, and jovan haye also i believe. . . .

Dawkins may come to Denver. I think he is a FA.

BroncoWave
01-01-2009, 08:45 PM
The Broncos have reached out to several candidates to become their new head coach, including University of Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, and will interview at least two candidates in the coming days. per rocky mountain news

HOPE NOT!!!

I'd be cool with Stoops. Don't think it will happen though.

Den21vsBal19
01-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Of those three, on paper, Spag would probably be my preferred choice, a good defensive mind who can probably be persuaded to leave the offense alone..........thinking a little out of the box, playing the NFC East next year may also make his transition a little easier as he's familiar with that Division.

As for Morris & McDaniels I'm a little split...............Morris, IMO, is possibly a little young and inexperienced, and whilst McDaniels has done a great job with Brady going down, but I'd prefer a defensive mind that will take advantage of & improve what our offense already is rather than bring in his own, completely new scheme :2cents:

dogfish
01-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Dawkins may come to Denver. I think he is a FA.

he is, and philly doesn't exactly have a reputation for paying to retain their aging vets. . . i'm generally not in favor of bringing in older guys, but dawkins is a name that i've been thinking about-- he's not the super-dynamic player that he was a few years ago, but he's still very solid, and he would bring a boatload of the guts and competitiveness we so desperately need on defense. . .

lex
01-01-2009, 09:05 PM
he is, and philly doesn't exactly have a reputation for paying to retain their aging vets. . . i'm generally not in favor of bringing in older guys, but dawkins is a name that i've been thinking about-- he's not the super-dynamic player that he was a few years ago, but he's still very solid, and he would bring a boatload of the guts and competitiveness we so desperately need on defense. . .

Plus I think he might help mentor young guys.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Dawkins will stay...so will Johnson. Those dudes bleed Eagle Green. Johnson appears to be content with being the best at what he does at the highest level possible.

UnderArmour
01-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Oh god...

http://www.denverpost.com/sportsheadlines/ci_11350685?source=rss

The Broncos have requested permission to interview Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett for their head-coaching vacancy.

dogfish
01-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Oh god...

The Broncos have requested permission to interview Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett for their head-coaching vacancy.

:frusty:

Tned
01-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Oh god...

That was a given.

lex
01-01-2009, 10:55 PM
ENGLEWOOD — Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said the process of finding a new coach would begin quickly with the arrival of the new year Thursday.
He meant what he said.
The Broncos moved quickly on New Year's Day, locking up interviews with two NFL assistants, asking permission for another, as well as making a preliminary move to contact University of Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops.
Bowlen could not be reached for comment on any of the day's events.
But the Broncos have finalized meetings with New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and newly named Tampa Bay defensive coordinator and former secondary coach Raheem Morris.
Spagnuolo will be the first to interview for the Broncos job since Mike Shanahan was fired Tuesday, with a meeting set for Saturday with Broncos officials.
Morris, who Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden recently promoted to replace the departed Monte Kiffin to run Tampa Bay's defense, will meet with the Broncos on Monday.
Also Thursday, the Broncos made preliminary moves toward Stoops, whose team will play Jan. 8 in the Bowl Championship Series title game in Miami, and asked for permission to speak with New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.
In his lone public appearance since Shanahan's firing, Bowlen continued to express the Broncos' job would be attractive to prospective coaches because of the offensive performance this season and the youth of the roster, saying, "This job . . . this is a very highly thought-of job and I expect to get a very good head coach. . . . I want him to be a 10 in every area."
That appears to be the case in securing an interview with Spagnuolo, who will be the first in line for the Broncos because of rules regarding assistant coaches with teams in the playoffs. When interviewing a coach with a team that has a first-round bye, as the Giants do, the Broncos are facing a Sunday deadline.
After that, assistants with playoff teams can only be interviewed after their teams are knocked out of the playoffs or in the week immediately after the conference championship games if their teams advance to the Super Bowl.
Because of that Sunday deadline, the Broncos aren't expected to interview Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz - the Titans have a bye this weekend so he will not be in the first wave of their interviews.
But Spagnuolo is a popular target around the league. He also is scheduled to interview with the New York Jets on Saturday and the Detroit Lions and Cleveland Browns already had asked for, and received, permission to interview Spagnuolo at some point.
But he moved the Broncos interview to Saturday evening despite the team being the last one of the four to contact him. Because of the interview with the Jets and the Giants' preparations for their playoff game in a little more than a week, the Broncos will interview Spagnuolo in the New York area.
The Redskins made a significant push to get Spagnuolo after the Giants' Super Bowl win against the previously undefeated Patriots in February, with Redskins owner Daniel Snyder bringing Spagnuolo to his estate for two days.
But Spagnuolo elected to stay with the Giants.
Giants players routinely have lauded Spagnuolo's preparation and the Giants finished fifth in defense during the regular season despite defensive end Michael Strahan's retirement and the loss of defensive end Osi Umenyiora to a season-ending injury early in the year.
Morris just was promoted by the Buccaneers to replace Kiffin, the team's longtime defensive coordinator who left to coach with his son Lane at the University of Tennessee.
A personality many in the league say people just gravitate to, Morris will be a popular head coaching candidate, several general managers predict, in the coming years if he is not hired by the Broncos. The Buccaneers were second in the NFC against the pass this season and fourth in the league.
For his part, Stoops, who visited Broncos training camp during the summer with his coaching staff, is a known quantity to Bowlen. But his contract at the football powerhouse averages about $3 million a year, and he will earn $6 million this year because of a $3 million bonus for staying at the school 10 seasons that kicked in on New Year's Day.
Bowlen is an Oklahoma graduate and he did spend some time with Stoops during the visit in August. The Broncos had not had any direct contact with Stoops as of Thursday, but they were making overtures to his representatives.
It is unlikely Stoops, who also was considered for the Redskins job last year, would consider an interview before his team faces Florida at Dolphin Stadium.
The Broncos also have sent a letter to the Patriots, as required by league rules, formally seeking permission to talk with McDaniels, but they had not received an answer from Patriots officials as of Thursday night.
The Broncos also have discussed Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier and could seek permission to speak with him once he is available to interview. The Vikings play host to the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday in an NFC wild- card game.
Because of the league's Rooney Rule, the Broncos have to interview at least one minority candidate for the job and the league would prefer more than one is considered.

This was posted on the Mane. No link was provided.

lex
01-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Dawkins will stay...so will Johnson. Those dudes bleed Eagle Green. Johnson appears to be content with being the best at what he does at the highest level possible.

Without a contract?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2009, 11:07 PM
he'll get one.

Shazam!
01-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Morris = Rooney Rule

G_Money
01-01-2009, 11:16 PM
So Bowlen's a racist who would only interview a minority candidate because the league told him he has to? Garrett's as "unqualified" as Morris. Is there also some rule that says that young white dudes have to be called up?

~G

Shazam!
01-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Oh, c'mon G. You know I didn't mean it like that.

"I want him to be a 10 in every area."-Pat Bowlen

He is not a 10, Sir.

G_Money
01-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Shanahan came in with a piss-poor coaching record. He was a great OC obviously, while Morris hasn't done that as DC. Of course, Mike Singletary was never a DC and he put some spine into his team but quick.

I'm sure he would have been a Rooney Rule guy too.

Dick Vermeil was a special teams coach who did a small stint at UCLA before the Eagles called him up, right?

Being a 10 is what you make of it. There is SOME reason that everyone in the league, from front office people to the guys that leak info to journalists are talking up Morris as The Next Big Thing before he's ever been a DC in the pros.

They might all be wrong in what they're seeing, but what they're seeing isn't the color of his skin.

And that's why you imply when you say he's a Rooney Ruler and dismiss him out of hand.

I wouldn't make him the next coach of the Broncos, but if he became the next coach I wouldn't call it white guilt, either.

~G

Shazam!
01-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Elway wanted Shanahan here. Elway wanted Shanahan in 1993. Elway had everything to do with Shanahan getting the job. Shanahan was one of the hottest commodities around back then after the SF Super Bowl.

This situation isn't even close G.

There are better more qualified guys available. That's all I'm saying.

G_Money
01-01-2009, 11:32 PM
The only reason I don't like the Rooney Rule is because it gives people an excuse. When they see a black candidate for head coach they don't think, "Hey, that guy must really be something to already be considered for head coach, especially for an organization as proud and respected as the Broncos. It's not like they have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to get candidates, like the Raiders. Good for him, I'll keep an eye on him, he's going places."

Nope.

"Morris = Rooney Rule." On to next subject.

It does the man a grave disservice. If I didn't think that stupid owners would stop opening the doors to more black head coaches like they did before the rule, and like colleges do now, I would advocate repealing the rule just to get the stench of that Token Black Inferior Candidate crap outta the air.

~G

Shazam!
01-01-2009, 11:35 PM
I think the rule stinks too and I agree. I meant that may be only reason he is getting interviewed. There are too many much more qualified, experienced guys out there. That's what I meant.

G_Money
01-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Elway wanted Shanahan here. Elway wanted Shanahan in 1993. Elway had everything to do with Shanahan getting the job. Shanahan was one of the hottest commodities around back then after the SF Super Bowl.

This situation isn't even close G.

There are better more qualified guys available. That's all I'm saying.

And Morris has headed the lists of future DC/HC candidates for 2 years now. He was changing Kiffin's defense and putting wrinkles in it for the last coulple of years too - not at the end of this year when they collapsed, before that. The collapse of the D might have been in part (and has been rumored to be) because not only was Kiffin leaving them but Morris wasn't gonna be around long either.

If he doesn't get a head job and succeeds as DC the only way TB keeps him longer than 2 years is to fire Gruden and replace him with Morris.

Morris is heating up Gruden's seat. I'd call that...interesting.

Not token.

I know you didn't mean it as an insult to him, but it is. You may feel - as I do - that he is not ready to be a HC, and certainly not one for us since we don't need to take that much risk.

But if he's the right guy, it's not a risk. I don't expect us to find out, but Mike Tomlin was a "risk" for Pittsburgh and he seems to be killin it over there.

Being unexpected doesn't automatically make someone unqualified, and sometimes the only times you get the Right Candidate is because they don't have the resume yet and you happen to have the balls to take the chance now.

*shrugs* I'm glad he's getting an interview. And I won't say it's undeserved or because of racially preferrential treatment either.

~G

BroncoWave
01-01-2009, 11:41 PM
If I had to put money on it, Spagnuolo will be the next head coach of the Broncos. I honestly think the job is his if he wants it. And the fact that he moved our interview ahead of teams he had already interviewed shows that he is at least very interested. Sign this guy up Bowlen!

lex
01-01-2009, 11:42 PM
And Morris has headed the lists of future DC/HC candidates for 2 years now. He was changing Kiffin's defense and putting wrinkles in it for the last coulple of years too - not at the end of this year when they collapsed, before that. The collapse of the D might have been in part (and has been rumored to be) because not only was Kiffin leaving them but Morris wasn't gonna be around long either.

If he doesn't get a head job and succeeds as DC the only way TB keeps him longer than 2 years is to fire Gruden and replace him with Morris.

Morris is heating up Gruden's seat. I'd call that...interesting.

Not token.

I know you didn't mean it as an insult to him, but it is. You may feel - as I do - that he is not ready to be a HC, and certainly not one for us since we don't need to take that much risk.

But if he's the right guy, it's not a risk. I don't expect us to find out, but Mike Tomlin was a "risk" for Pittsburgh and he seems to be killin it over there.

Being unexpected doesn't automatically make someone unqualified, and sometimes the only times you get the Right Candidate is because they don't have the resume yet and you happen to have the balls to take the chance now.

*shrugs* I'm glad he's getting an interview. And I won't say it's undeserved or because of racially preferrential treatment either.

~G

But Pittsburgh already had a good D in place and a HOF defensive coordinator. Denver needs someone to come in and be the architect of turning around the defense. As impressive as Morris may be, he hasnt been a DC yet...not the way some other guys have. His biggest selling point is being able to motivate and connect with young players. When you want someone to rebuild your defense, its a case of a bird in the hand being worth more than one in the bush. We have a better idea of what guys like Spags is about. He has a great body of work as a DC on his resume.

lex
01-01-2009, 11:46 PM
If I had to put money on it, Spagnuolo will be the next head coach of the Broncos. I honestly think the job is his if he wants it. And the fact that he moved our interview ahead of teams he had already interviewed shows that he is at least very interested. Sign this guy up Bowlen!

I feel that way too. I have a feeling it will be Spags. Last summer there was a poll that said Pat Bowlen is one of the top 3 owners to work for (this was a poll of NFL coaches), so when Denver comes calling, you have to listen. Its a case of jobs like this dont come calling very often. I think the biggest obstacles would be him being able to choose offensive coaches and also possibly some family ties to the east...or something like that. But then, he wouldnt have pushed Denver ahead of NYJ if that was the case.

Plus as soon as Pat walks in wearing his fur coat, he will see how super cool Pat is and it will be all over.

Shazam!
01-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Word around NY here is that he will take the Denver job.

NYG fans are sorry to see him go, and local Sports talk station FAN says he'd be an ass not to take it, as Denver is the best team needing a Coach.

The Jets job guarantees you'll be fired eventually. That uniform is cursed.

G_Money
01-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Being a head coach is not being a coordinator. If it was, then you wouldn't have so many talented coordinators Epic Fail their shots at the head job.

It's a different animal. Some men like Kiffin and LeBeau and Johnson are defensive geniuses who are content to remain defensive geniuses and not try to be the head man and remove themselves from the schemes. Some men, like Martz, are incredible coordinators who are terrible head coaches and get in their own way.

Being a head coach is like being President of the United States: you're not supposed to write the laws, you're supposed to give guidelines, enforce the laws, inspire the people, encapsulate vision.

And then hopefully the people doing the work to write the laws are doing their jobs well.

As HC, you at least get to hire the law-writers: your coordinators. One reason I think so many coordinators fail is that they are too good at their former jobs. They just can't get out of their own way.

I don't know if Morris will get in his own way. They say Schwartz for the Titans is a man who might, and there's some distrust there. He may have to take a harder job where they can't be as discriminating. It was the concern about Martz, and about Marvin Lewis.

Morris hasn't raised an iota of those concerns. There is no doubt among anyone who knows him that he will be a head coach before too long. I think that's astounding to say about someone so young, with so little experience in charge of even half a team, but they definitely believe it.

If we are the team to help him get his first interview experience and get his foot in the door, so be it. I'm glad we can help him out. Doing someone a favor isn't the same as racial favoritism.

It's making sure that young talent is recognized. We're recognizing him and elevating him around the league. If he bombs the interview the other owners will know it. If he impresses the hell outta Bowlen they'll know that too.

Either way, it's an impression he can't make if he can't get the first interview.

Just because he hasn't had one yet doesn't mean it's not worth Bowlen's time to sit down with him.

Aaaaaand I'm gonna get down off this high horse now, it's rocking a little. ;)

~G

G_Money
01-01-2009, 11:52 PM
My vote is for Cowher first, Spagnuolo second.

Spagnuolo might pull from either the Giants staff or the Eagles staff to help fill out our D, too. He also likes McDermott, so I might get Spags as my HC and McDermott as our DC from Johnson's Philly staff.

I'd have to like that coaching tree. We might stand a chance next year.

~G

underrated29
01-01-2009, 11:55 PM
if we did land spaggy, do you think there would be any NYG FA that he would bring over?

Remember Kubes did that with a lot of our players, most were backups, but coaches often get players who are FA to move with them.

G_Money
01-01-2009, 11:55 PM

I think Spags is likely too. Just don't forget Saturday isn't a real interview. He's sitting down with Bowlen over dinner to talk about the job. It's a first-impression, not a 4-hour blowout.

I think Spagnuolo will come back for a second one - like lex said, we're one of the best jobs in the country, hands down - but it's just gonna be a short one right now. We're gonna have to hang on a while if the G-Men make some playoff noise.

~G

lex
01-01-2009, 11:57 PM
if we did land spaggy, do you think there would be any NYG FA that he would bring over?

Remember Kubes did that with a lot of our players, most were backups, but coaches often get players who are FA to move with them.

Its not just NYG, its also Philly. A coworker of mine is from Philly and he was telling me that if Denver got Spags, a couple of Eagles would likely follow him. Thats one reason that I think Dawkins may become a Broncos in this off season.

BroncoWave
01-01-2009, 11:58 PM
I think Spags is likely too. Just don't forget Saturday isn't a real interview. He's sitting down with Bowlen over dinner to talk about the job. It's a first-impression, not a 4-hour blowout.

I think Spagnuolo will come back for a second one - like lex said, we're one of the best jobs in the country, hands down - but it's just gonna be a short one right now. We're gonna have to hang on a while if the G-Men make some playoff noise.

~G

Yeah I know it's just an informal discussion but the fact that he moved that ahead of meetings shows that we are probably #1 on his list. I mean look at his other options: Cleveland, no, Detroit, hell no, NYJ, eh maybe, but probably not. I think he's as good as ours if Bowlen offers him the job.

underrated29
01-01-2009, 11:58 PM
that would be sexy.

lex
01-01-2009, 11:59 PM

~G

Yeah, they can have a handshake agreement. Im hoping the Giants lose their first game 3-0 and we can get on with this. I think Denver would wait it out if Bowlen thinks Spags is "the guy".

lex
01-02-2009, 12:33 AM
It looks like we have some conflicting information.

Denver Broncos are now in mix for New York Giants' Steve Spagnuolo
by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger
Thursday January 01, 2009, 2:13 PM

Bill Kostroun/Associated Press
Denver has joined the list of teams interested in Giants' defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo (l.) and will meet with him on Saturday.Steve Spagnuolo was already in the running for a head-coaching job with the Jets, Lions and Browns. Now, he's a candidate for perhaps the most attractive opening on the market. The Giants' defensive coordinator will meet with the Broncos Saturday, a Denver team spokesman confirmed Thursday. A report on Foxsports.com indicated it will be a quick, "informal" interview because of the time constraints on Spagnuolo, who will meet with Jets officials earlier in the day. Spagnuolo was believed to be meeting with Detroit and Cleveland Thursday.
Denver fired Mike Shanahan early this week after 14 years as coach. That created an intriguing opening for coaching candidates because the Broncos have plenty of talent on the roster and, unlike the Jets and Lions, they have a young franchise quarterback in Jay Cutler.

Cleveland has two young quarterbacks in Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn, though neither has been as successful as Cutler, who threw for 4,526 yards this season.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/01/report_broncos_now_in_mix_for.html

fcspikeit
01-02-2009, 02:24 AM
Man I would love to see Spagnuolo as our HC!!

I hope Pat isn't serious about Morris? They are using the Bucks defensive stats to prove his worth and he wasn't even the DC there! :confused:

He could be good but who knows? At least Spagnuolo has proven he can coach a defense and his endless supply of good D-lineman tells me he knows how to teach the position...

This also tells me the move from Shanny had more to do with the defense of the last couple years then anything. I bet if he had canned Slowic he would still be our head coach...

Shazam!
01-02-2009, 02:35 AM
I bet if he had canned Slowic he would still be our head coach...

Or if the Broncos beat one of the two pathetic teams they lost to (Oak, KC or even Bills) to have avoided this year's embarassment, he'd have been fine even if Denver got creamed in the playoffs.

If the Broncos had won the West like they were supposed to, regardless of how bad the Division or the team itself was, he'd be here for 2009. Shanahan has nobody to blame but himself. I'm glad he owned up to it.

sneakers
01-02-2009, 02:36 AM
who?

Is he going to be better than shanahan?

fcspikeit
01-02-2009, 02:38 AM
Or if the Broncos beat one of the two pathetic teams they lost to (Oak, KC or even Bills) to have avoided this year's embarassment, he'd have been fine even if Denver got creamed in the playoffs.

If the Broncos had won the West like they were supposed to, regardless of how bad the Division or the team itself was, he'd be here for 2009. Shanahan has nobody to blame but himself. I'm glad he owned up to it.

But they didn't and when you look back over the last 3 years it always seems to be the same reason... Our defense sucked, big time!

Shazam!
01-02-2009, 02:39 AM
That's why he was fired!!

fcspikeit
01-02-2009, 02:40 AM
who?

Is he going to be better than shanahan?

Ask the same question in 14 years :D

fcspikeit
01-02-2009, 02:40 AM
That's why he was fired!!

That's what I said.... :D

Shazam!
01-02-2009, 02:42 AM
Denver could've lost some of the close games and finished worse this season, and went 8-8 or even worse next season, and some Broncos fans would still have a beef with firing him.

fcspikeit
01-02-2009, 02:47 AM
Denver could've lost some of the close games and finished worse this season, and went 8-8 or even worse next season, and some Broncos fans would still have a beef with firing him.

Denver could have went 0 - 16 and some Broncos fans would have had a beef with firing him...

He earned a lot of respect over the last 14 years.. IMO he lost some the last 2, There where more then a few things that left me :confused: my head...

Just so you know, sitting 16 wasn't one of them...

Magnificent Seven
01-02-2009, 02:51 AM
What about Mike Holmgren?

Shazam!
01-02-2009, 03:04 AM
I forgot he was available too? Good call.

I'd rather have Cowher or Spagnulo.

Some would say we'd have been better off kepping Shanahan then.

Age and FA have decimated Seattle.

He does have the qualifications Bowlen wants. He could be an option if he went the vet route as opposed to the young hot assistant.

Ya know, I'm surprised his name hasn't come up more?

Tned
01-02-2009, 03:09 AM
Ya know, I'm surprised his name hasn't come up more?

I've heard his name a bunch, but all in terms of coaching in 2010, not 2009. I'm not sure if there is some sort of contractual reason, or if he has said he is going to take at least a year off, but every time I hear his name, it is about 2010.

For instance, on Inside the NFL they were saying that if Shanahan and
Cowher don't get jobs this year, that in 2010 you could be looking at three great coaches (them plus Holmgren) available.

fcspikeit
01-02-2009, 03:12 AM
I've heard his name a bunch, but all in terms of coaching in 2010, not 2009. I'm not sure if there is some sort of contractual reason, or if he has said he is going to take at least a year off, but every time I hear his name, it is about 2010.

For instance, on Inside the NFL they were saying that if Shanahan and
Cowher don't get jobs this year, that in 2010 you could be looking at three great coaches (them plus Holmgren) available.

It would look pretty bad if he left them saying he wanted a year off, then took the HC job for the Broncos..

In fact, I'm not sure I would want a coach who would go about things that way..

Tned
01-02-2009, 03:27 AM
It would look pretty bad if he left them saying he wanted a year off, then took the HC job for the Broncos..

In fact, I'm not sure I would want a coach who would go about things that way..

This was from an article talking about the Jets/Seattle matchup a couple weeks ago.

Holmgren, who has announced this will be his final season with the Seahawks - though he was emphatic in calling it a "sabbatical" rather than a "retirement"

fcspikeit
01-02-2009, 03:45 AM
This was from an article talking about the Jets/Seattle matchup a couple weeks ago.

I know he didn't retire, but taking a sabbatical isn't the same as saying, I want out of Seattle... If he left them to take a year off, then signed with us without taking a year off or if you prefer, a sabbatical, he would be being dishonest...

If he just wanted out of Seattle he should have just said that...

Tned
01-02-2009, 03:59 AM
I know he didn't retire, but taking a sabbatical isn't the same as saying, I want out of Seattle... If he left them to take a year off, then signed with us without taking a year off or if you prefer, a sabbatical, he would be being dishonest...

Hence the reason that I stated that the reason that nobody is mentioning his name for the Broncos job is because 2010 is considered the soonest he will come back, since he has stated he is taking a sabbatical (people assume he will take at least one year off).

I brought this up because some people on this message board were asking why Holmgren's name hadn't come up as a candidate for the Denver job.

BroncoTech
01-02-2009, 04:00 AM
On TV he said his wife was making him take off. She's the boss.

elsid13
01-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Harbaugh contract extension being 'finalized'
Michelle Smith, Chronicle Staff Writer

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

(12-30) 23:05 PST -- All signs still point to Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh signing a contract extension with the Cardinal, despite the fact that his name has surfaced as a potential candidate for the Raiders' head-coaching job.

Harbaugh, who was not available for comment Tuesday, has not been contacted by the Raiders, according to his agent, Jack Bechta. Bechta, responding by e-mail, said the work on Harbaugh's extension at Stanford is ongoing.

Stanford athletic director Bob Bowlsby said via e-mail that Harbaugh's extension is in the process of being "finalized."

"We have agreed to all terms and we are in the process of finalizing the documents," Bowlsby said. "I have not been contacted by the Raiders, nor have Jim or his agent."

Harbaugh, who is 9-15 in two seasons as the Cardinal's head coach, said in November that he intended to sign a three-year extension at Stanford at the end of the season. The extension would put him under contract with Stanford through 2014.

The Chronicle reported Tuesday that Harbaugh could be interviewed by Raiders owner Al Davis for the head-coaching position.

E-mail Michelle Smith at msmith@sfchronicle.com.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/12/31/SPPJ151ALE.DTL

This article appeared on page D - 2 of the San Francisco Chronicle

Dirk
01-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Going out on a limb a little here, but I think Spags as HC, bring in Martz for OC and go after a ringer DC. I'm not sure who the DC would be but it's not a bad route to take.

I know Bates is making strides, but with the weapons on offense and a back like Hillis (good hands), Martz would make the Broncos the greatest show on turf.

lex
01-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Going out on a limb a little here, but I think Spags as HC, bring in Martz for OC and go after a ringer DC. I'm not sure who the DC would be but it's not a bad route to take.

I know Bates is making strides, but with the weapons on offense and a back like Hillis (good hands), Martz would make the Broncos the greatest show on turf.

Martz is a horrible idea. 1. Our offense is already in decent shape and he runs a different system. 2. He passes too much and if youre a defensive head coach, you end up butting heads...this has happened to Martz in his last two OC jobs. 3. We need to run the ball more.

MOtorboat
01-02-2009, 10:03 AM
I don't want Martz anywhere near Cutler. I don't even want them in the same room, even if its a banquet hall.

ktrain
01-02-2009, 10:18 AM

~G

It might end up being like Houston with Kubes in '06. They had made up their mind on Kubes early in the search process and were just waiting for us to finish our season so they could offer him the job. Unfortunately, 10 yd db cushions by foxy and Dwill, a missed champ int return for a TD and plummer being plummer shortened that period by two weeks less than it should have been (but I digress)

topscribe
01-02-2009, 10:56 AM

Hence the reason that I stated that the reason that nobody is mentioning his name for the Broncos job is because 2010 is considered the soonest he will come back, since he has stated he is taking a sabbatical (people assume he will take at least one year off).

I brought this up because some people on this message board were asking why Holmgren's name hadn't come up as a candidate for the Denver job.

On the other hand, he would not have been aware that the Denver job was
coming up. That could change things . . .

-----

SoTxBroncFan
01-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Spags and more spags. Keep the offensive staff intact. Win Super Bowls.

BroncoWave
01-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Looks like we're looking at Stoops as well.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11352656

He was married in the Vatican, which figures to be no trivial matter to a Catholic named Pat Bowlen.

His New York Giants defense accumulated 95 sacks the past two seasons, and that doesn't include the five times New England quarterback Tom Brady was dumped in Super Bowl XLII.

His name is Steve Spagnuolo, and he just may be the Broncos' No. 1 choice to succeed Mike Shanahan as head coach.

Spagnuolo is among the candidates on the Broncos' shortlist of coaching vacancies, the team confirmed Thursday.

The Giants' defensive coordinator the past two seasons, Spagnuolo, 49, could be viewed as the ideal alter ego to Mike Shanahan, who was the Broncos' offensive-minded head coach for 14 seasons until he was dismissed Tuesday.

Besides Spagnuolo, the Broncos have also received permission to interview Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels and Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive coordinator Raheem Morris, both 32.

The Broncos also have requested permission to interview Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett. The dark horse remains Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops.

Two NFL sources confirmed that the Broncos have attempted to contact the Sooners' coach, who is preparing for his fourth NCAA title game this decade.

Bowlen, the Broncos' owner, and Joe Ellis, the team's chief operating officer, will fly east this weekend to begin the interview process. The Broncos will meet with Spagnuolo on Saturday night in the New York area and will interview McDaniels on Sunday in the Boston area.

Bowlen and Ellis also are scheduled to sit down with Morris, who was recently promoted by Tampa Bay from defensive backs coach to defensive coordinator. As of Thursday night, the Broncos have yet to receive permission to interview Garrett, the hot head coaching candidate last season.

Garrett turned down head coaching offers from the Baltimore Ravens and Atlanta Falcons last year so he could return to the Cowboys, who made him the league's highest-paid coordinator with a $3 million salary. A year later, the Ravens and Falcons are in the playoffs while the Cowboys stayed home with a 9-7 record.

The No. 1 head coaching candidate this year is Spagnuolo, and it's no surprise the Broncos are interviewing him first. The Broncos contingent will meet with Spagnuolo after he interviews earlier Saturday with the New York Jets for their head coaching vacancy.

Although Spagnuolo is making $2 million a year with the Giants, he and his wife, Maria, are spiritual, nonmaterialistic people who are not expected make money a top priority as they weigh the offers that are certain to come their way.

Four years ago, the Spagnuolos eloped to Italy, where they got married at the Vatican. Bowlen, embarrassed by his team's frequent brushes with the law before the 2008 season, has made character a top priority for his new coach. He also would like someone who can straighten out his defense.

The Broncos ranked 30th in scoring defense in 2008 and 28th in 2007. A consistent pass rush has been a problem for years, but it happens to be Spagnuolo's forte. Groomed by Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson, considered the league's most aggressive defensive coach, Spagnuolo reshaped the Giants' defense last season to one that led the league in sacks.

Spagnuolo became a hot commodity after his Giants stymied the Patriots' offense, which during the regular season had scored an NFL record 589 points, during a 17-14 upset victory in Super Bowl XLII.

Within days after that Super Bowl triumph, Spagnuolo was offered the head coaching position by the Washington Redskins, but he turned it down to return to the Giants, who are the odds-on favorites to come out of the NFC and return to the Super Bowl this year.

Coaching candidates from teams with a strong chance to reach the Super Bowl generally are hired before their second-round playoff game, so there's a chance Bowlen and Ellis will quickly move through their search process next week.

ktrain
01-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Looks like we're looking at Stoops as well.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11352656

uuugggghhh! Who was the last college coach to successfully make the jump to NFL from college?

Frenze might be decent (crap shoot) but just say no to stoops

JONtheBRONCO
01-02-2009, 03:01 PM
The Broncos reportedly may be seeking a "package" deal that would include hiring Steve Spagnuolo as head coach and Tom Heckert as general manager.

Spagnuolo, interviewing over dinner with Denver on Saturday, worked with Heckert for six years in Philadelphia. Heckert doesn't have "final say" over Eagles personnel decisions, but owner Pat Bowlen could offer him that in Denver. The Jets and Broncos appear to be in a direct battle to land Spags.

Source: Newsday

JONtheBRONCO
01-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Steve Spagnuolo and Josh McDaniels are the "clear frontrunners" to be Denver's next head coach, according to the National Football Post's Mike Lombardi.

Lombardi worked in the Broncos' organization in 2007 and likely has kept ties with members of the front office. He notes that it makes "too much sense" for Denver to hire a defensive-minded coach and maintain most of its offensive staff. That would appear to make Spagnuolo owner Pat Bowlen's top choice.

Source: National Football Post

dogfish
01-02-2009, 04:06 PM
I don't want Martz anywhere near Cutler. I don't even want them in the same room, even if its a banquet hall.

even sharing the same continent is too close. . . . :coffee:

the only time martz needs to be within 500 miles of 5280 is when he's there with an opposing team. . .

His name is Steve Spagnuolo, and he just may be the Broncos' No. 1 choice to succeed Mike Shanahan as head coach.

Spagnuolo is among the candidates on the Broncos' shortlist of coaching vacancies, the team confirmed Thursday.

damn, i LOVE hearing that!!

make it happen, pat!

BroncoWave
01-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Steve Spagnuolo and Josh McDaniels are the "clear frontrunners" to be Denver's next head coach, according to the National Football Post's Mike Lombardi.

Lombardi worked in the Broncos' organization in 2007 and likely has kept ties with members of the front office. He notes that it makes "too much sense" for Denver to hire a defensive-minded coach and maintain most of its offensive staff. That would appear to make Spagnuolo owner Pat Bowlen's top choice.

Source: National Football Post

I REALLY hope we get Spags. The Belichick coaching tree has been less than impressive. Crennell, Weis, Mangini...meh. I'm weary on McDaniels for that reason.

Offer Spagnuolo the job this weekend Pat. Make it happen!

Italianmobstr7
01-02-2009, 06:16 PM
I really hope we get Spags!

TXBRONC
01-02-2009, 06:41 PM
even sharing the same continent is too close. . . . :coffee:

the only time martz needs to be within 500 miles of 5280 is when he's there with an opposing team. . .

damn, i LOVE hearing that!!

make it happen, pat!

I guess that would mean that Jeremy Bates would have a good chance of sticking around to run the offense.

In any event I wonder who Bowlen will have in mind for G.M. My hope is that is is someone like Charlie Casserly.

UnderArmour
01-02-2009, 06:49 PM
I guess that would mean that Jeremy Bates would have a good chance of sticking around to run the offense.

In any event I wonder who Bowlen will have in mind for G.M. My hope is that is is someone like Charlie Casserly.

I'd rather have Tom Heckert. Cassely wasn't even that good in Houston.

TXBRONC
01-02-2009, 07:12 PM
I'd rather have Tom Heckert. Cassely wasn't even that good in Houston.

While he was there he found talent for the Texans and he does have a long history of being able find talented offensive lineman.

I have nothing against Herkert maybe he would be a very good choice. However his role with Eagles is very like that of our former GM.

UnderArmour
01-02-2009, 07:15 PM
While he was there he found talent for the Texans and he does have a long history of being able find talented offensive lineman.

I have nothing against Herkert maybe he would be a very good choice. However his role with Eagles is very like that of our former GM.

Am I missing something? The Texans O-Line has sucked until recently.

TXBRONC
01-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Am I missing something? The Texans O-Line has sucked until recently.

True he didn't do well in Houston on the offensive side of the ball but guy has found a lot of talent for teams he has worked for. Guys like Jeff Bostic, Joe Jacoby, Mario Williams as well as guys like DeMeco Ryans, Chester Pitts, Andre Johnson, and Jerome Mathis, and Champ Bailey.

DenBronx
01-02-2009, 07:41 PM
i think it's funny that we're interviewing dennison. #1 it's only to fill a legal obligation. #2 it's a downgrade from shanahan. #3 i think its only out of respect because he has had alot to do with the offense for 14 years. other than that he really wouldnt be the guy we need at all.

Dean
01-02-2009, 07:53 PM
i think it's funny that we're interviewing dennison. #1 it's only to fill a legal obligation. #2 it's a downgrade from shanahan. #3 i think its only out of respect because he has had alot to do with the offense for 14 years. other than that he really wouldnt be the guy we need at all.

What legal obligation is that?

keithbishop
01-02-2009, 08:31 PM
I don't remember the exact wording of the rule, Dean, but it's something about a requisite interview for anyone who both served as an assistant under the fired head coach and used to play LB for the team. The rule doesn't come into play very often. ;)

BroncoWave
01-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Just out of curiosity, I've never really know this since I've never been through the Broncos doing a coaching search, If can we offer the job to someone who's team who is still in the playoffs (Spags) and if so, can he take it before their season is over?

lex
01-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Just out of curiosity, I've never really know this since I've never been through the Broncos doing a coaching search, If can we offer the job to someone who's team who is still in the playoffs (Spags) and if so, can he take it before their season is over?

No. No offer and no acceptance other than a handshake deal.

BroncoWave
01-02-2009, 10:10 PM
No. No offer and no acceptance other than a handshake deal.

Thanks. Well hopefully the Giants get upset in their first game then because I want this to happen soon! I just went through the wait of a coaching search with Mississippi St., my patience can't handle another one! :lol:

Mike
01-03-2009, 09:51 AM
No wonder Pat Bowlen sounded so confident he could replace Mike Shanahan.

In comprising their shortlist to replace Shanahan, the Broncos have gathered a Who's Who of head coaching candidates.

"By the way, this job here, this is a very highly thought-of job," Bowlen said at his news conference Wednesday to formally announce Shanahan's firing. "And I expect we will get a very good head coach."

The candidate list officially expanded to five, unofficially to six Saturday when the Broncos added one of their own, offensive coordinator Rick Dennison. And of all the big names on the Broncos' search list, no one may be better versed in all three phases of the game.

Dennison, 50, played linebacker for the Broncos from 1982-90, but has coached either special teams or offense since he first joined Shana-han's staff in 1995.

In other developments Friday, the Broncos received formal permission from the Dallas Cowboys to interview offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, who was one of the hottest head coaching candidates last season. Garrett turned down head coaching offers from Baltimore and Atlanta, both of whom are in the playoffs while his Cowboys are not.

The Broncos' interview schedule is nearly set. They will begin Saturday night when they meet with New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo in the New York area. Spagnuolo is considered a leading candidate for the Broncos and the Jets, who are interviewing him Saturday afternoon.

On Sunday, the Broncos will meet New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels in Rhode Island. On Wednesday, the Broncos will interview Dennison and Tampa Bay defensive coordinator Raheem Morris in Denver.

That leaves Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, who has drawn at least an infatuated interest from Bowlen but may be too expensive, given the Broncos' $21 million contractual obligation to Shanahan.

The Broncos are acknowledging Spagnuolo, Garrett, McDaniels, Morris and Dennison on their shortlist, but not Stoops, whose Sooners are preparing for the BCS championship game against Florida on Thursday.

Easy on Elway.

Minutes after Shanahan was dismissed, there were numerous reports speculating Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway would return to the Broncos, perhaps as their next general manager. Elway, though, was out of the country when Bowlen announced Shanahan's firing and, like everyone else, was caught off guard by the move.

As of Friday morning, Elway had yet to speak with Bowlen. That doesn't mean Bowlen won't offer Elway a front-office position. But it also means Bowlen has yet to give it much thought.

Mike Klis, The Denver Post

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11360329

If they pick Dennison to be the HC of the Denver Broncos...:yell:

TXBRONC
01-03-2009, 12:32 PM

In comprising their shortlist to replace Shanahan, the Broncos have gathered a Who's Who of head coaching candidates.

"By the way, this job here, this is a very highly thought-of job," Bowlen said at his news conference Wednesday to formally announce Shanahan's firing. "And I expect we will get a very good head coach."

The candidate list officially expanded to five, unofficially to six Saturday when the Broncos added one of their own, offensive coordinator Rick Dennison. And of all the big names on the Broncos' search list, no one may be better versed in all three phases of the game.

Dennison, 50, played linebacker for the Broncos from 1982-90, but has coached either special teams or offense since he first joined Shana-han's staff in 1995.

In other developments Friday, the Broncos received formal permission from the Dallas Cowboys to interview offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, who was one of the hottest head coaching candidates last season. Garrett turned down head coaching offers from Baltimore and Atlanta, both of whom are in the playoffs while his Cowboys are not.

The Broncos' interview schedule is nearly set. They will begin Saturday night when they meet with New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo in the New York area. Spagnuolo is considered a leading candidate for the Broncos and the Jets, who are interviewing him Saturday afternoon.

On Sunday, the Broncos will meet New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels in Rhode Island. On Wednesday, the Broncos will interview Dennison and Tampa Bay defensive coordinator Raheem Morris in Denver.

That leaves Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, who has drawn at least an infatuated interest from Bowlen but may be too expensive, given the Broncos' $21 million contractual obligation to Shanahan.

The Broncos are acknowledging Spagnuolo, Garrett, McDaniels, Morris and Dennison on their shortlist, but not Stoops, whose Sooners are preparing for the BCS championship game against Florida on Thursday.

Easy on Elway.

Minutes after Shanahan was dismissed, there were numerous reports speculating Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway would return to the Broncos, perhaps as their next general manager. Elway, though, was out of the country when Bowlen announced Shanahan's firing and, like everyone else, was caught off guard by the move.

As of Friday morning, Elway had yet to speak with Bowlen. That doesn't mean Bowlen won't offer Elway a front-office position. But it also means Bowlen has yet to give it much thought.

I would be disappointed to say the least if Dennison is picked as the successor, that being said I don't think he will be.

dogfish
01-03-2009, 01:33 PM
spags! spags! spags!

git 'er done. . . .

tomjonesrocks
01-03-2009, 07:41 PM
I don't fully understand Spagnuolo as the overwhelming favorite here.

Would much rather see Cowher.

Watchthemiddle
01-03-2009, 07:49 PM

I would agree with you, but I am not sure Cowher wants to coach this year. Thought I heard he is going to take another year off.

Watchthemiddle
01-03-2009, 07:49 PM
I would be disappointed to say the least if Dennison is picked as the successor, that being said I don't think he will be.

I think its a formality to interview current staff members.

xzn
01-04-2009, 01:30 AM

At first, that was my thought too. But as I have thought on it further and discussed with other fans / family a couple of problems came into my mind with Cowher.

Namely:

1. Availability: he's not really interested in working right now

2. Motivation: how many SB winning coaches have gone to another team and done it again?

3. Defensive Scheme: we do not have 3=4 style players and it would take a while to acquire them.

4. Cost: Bowlen owes Mike $20 million over the next three years. Cowher will command close to $10 mill p/y

tomjonesrocks
01-04-2009, 05:02 AM
At first, that was my thought too. But as I have thought on it further and discussed with other fans / family a couple of problems came into my mind with Cowher.

Namely:

2. Motivation: how many SB winning coaches have gone to another team and done it again?

3. Defensive Scheme: we do not have 3=4 style players and it would take a while to acquire them.

4. Cost: Bowlen owes Mike $20 million over the next three years. Cowher will command close to $10 mill p/y

Some great points. However:

-Yes, but according to Bowlen/many on this forum, this is a job that surpasses those that were available at the time Cowher made this comment.

-Perhaps.

-Meh, I don't know that what we currently have to build on now for a 4-3 is worth determining a future scheme over. The defense needs a total rebuild no matter what scheme you run. I don't know that we're *that* much closer to a solid 4-3 than we are a 3-4 with *this* personnel.

-I'm not concerned about what hiring the best candidate will cost Bowlen. I would have been fine keeping Shanny here for another couple of years. He's the one that decided to take this action at this time--he might need to dig deep for the best possible replacement. If he's passing on a better candidate for money reasons this is already a mistake.

lex
01-04-2009, 10:17 AM

Easy on Elway.

Id rather it be Dennison than a lot of the other names being kicked around but, by far, it should be Spags...its not even close.

lex
01-04-2009, 10:19 AM

-Yes, but according to Bowlen/many on this forum, this is a job that surpasses those that were available at the time Cowher made this comment.

-Perhaps.

-Meh, I don't know that what we currently have to build on now for a 4-3 is worth determining a future scheme over. The defense needs a total rebuild no matter what scheme you run. I don't know that we're *that* much closer to a solid 4-3 than we are a 3-4 with *this* personnel.

-I'm not concerned about what hiring the best candidate will cost Bowlen. I would have been fine keeping Shanny here for another couple of years. He's the one that decided to take this action at this time--he might need to dig deep for the best possible replacement. If he's passing on a better candidate for money reasons this is already a mistake.

Thats a great point. If cost is such a big issue, why fire Shanahan in the first place?

Dean
01-04-2009, 10:39 AM

Bulls-eye! If Bowlen isn't going to do what is necessary to obtain an improvement over Shanahan, it is very poor management to have fired Mike. :eek:

dogfish
01-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Making a play to coach
Spagnuolo has always been serious about one thing: football
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/04/2009 12:30:00 AM MST
Updated: 01/04/2009 01:49:41 AM MST

Not that Howard Vandersea needed any more confirmation that Steve Spagnuolo had a bright future as a football coach, but proof came hand-delivered.

Vandersea was Springfield (Mass.) College's head football coach, and at the small, Division III school, it was a job that also entailed teaching classes in the college's physical education department.

From 1979-81, Spagnuolo was Vandersea's starting wide receiver and his star pupil.

"We had a coaching class, and players had to put together playbooks, some sort of visible means of their work," Vandersea said Friday in a phone interview from his home in Brunswick, Maine. "Steve's playbook was at least 100 pages long."

That was about five times longer than the rest of Spagnuolo's
classmates.

"That just showed his interest in the field and his desire to do well," Vandersea said.

Nearly three decades later, Spagnuolo, the New York Giants' 49-year-old defensive coordinator, is the NFL's hottest head-coaching candidate and appears to be the Broncos' top choice to replace Mike Shanahan. Saturday night, Spagnuolo was scheduled to become the first man to meet with Broncos owner Pat Bowlen about Denver's coaching vacancy.

The Jets, Browns and Lions also covet Spagnuolo for his aggressive defensive play-calling and innovative blitz schemes. That is not a surprise to those who have known Spagnuolo longest.

He is the second oldest of five Spagnuolo children, and everyone knew he would find a way to make sports his life's work. He played ice hockey and baseball — he was the second baseman on his high school's state-champion squad — but football was his passion, said Donna O'Brien, Spagnuolo's older sister.

"He knew from a very young age what he wanted to do. He just knew it in his heart, and not very many people are like that," O'Brien said. "And look at where he is now. He worked very hard for it."

He showed an aptitude for coaching while he was the quarterback at Grafton High School in central Massachusetts.

"After practice, he'd sit down on the steps leading into the locker room and ask me questions. 'How'd you come up with that play?' 'Why did you do that?' We'd go on and on," said Richard Egsegian, who coached at Grafton for 32 years before retiring in 2000.

Spagnuolo then played at Springfield College, where the goal of most players was to become a football coach, not a pro player. Spagnuolo and three of his college teammates, Minnesota special-teams coordinator Paul Ferraro, Atlanta linebackers coach Glenn Pires and Carolina offensive line coach Dave Magazu, are on NFC playoff team staffs.

"All of them had a real interest in learning what they were doing, not just what they were playing," Vandersea said.

After graduating from Springfield, Spagnuolo began a career as an assistant coach at six colleges and two NFL Europe teams before he landed his first NFL job on Andy Reid's staff in Philadelphia in 1999.

He stayed with the Eagles as part of Jim Johnson's defensive staff until Tom Coughlin hired Spagnuolo as the Giants' defensive coordinator in 2007.

After his defense suffocated the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl last February, Spagnuolo turned down an offer to coach the Washington Redskins. The Giants rewarded him with a new contract and a raise, and, at about $2 million a year, he is one of the league's highest paid defensive coordinators.

"His resume is outstanding. Every place he's gone, he's advanced a little bit.

Never moved sideways," Egsegian said. "I wanted to see him get the (Washington) job because his ultimate dream is to be a head coach in the NFL, but I figured that someday his time would come. Apparently, it's now."
In Hopkinton, Mass., O'Brien is keeping updated on her brother through her sons, who are following their uncle's job prospects through online reports and phone calls with Spagnuolo's wife, Maria.

Spagnuolo is the only one of his siblings to have left Massachusetts, though he returns in the offseason to vacation on Cape Cod with his brothers and sisters, their mother and the brood of nieces and nephews. Those summer trips often include a visit to Grafton, where he was inducted into the high school's Hall of Fame in 2006.

"I think he's very happy and content in his personal life, and content in his work life," O'Brien said.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11364056?_requestid=5831909

i thought this poll that was posted on the same page was pretty interesting:

Who should the Broncos hire as the next coach?

Total Votes = 1487

Broncos offensive coordinator Rick Dennison
3.765 %
Dallas offensive coordinator Jason Garrett
1.546 %
N.Y. Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo
75.65 %
New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels
3.160 %
Tampa Bay defensive coordinator Raheem Morris
2.017 %
Oklahoma's Bob Stoops
2.824 %
John Elway
4.169 %
None of the above
6.859 %

Dean
01-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Here is what rotoworld thinks.

Broncos Offense | Team
TEAM: Denver Broncos

Broncos Offense-TM- Broncos Jan. 4 - 9:52 am et

NFL Network's Adam Schefter says that many around the league believe Josh McDaniels is going to be the front-runner to land the Denver coaching search.

McDaniels has a similar profile to Dan Reeves and Mike Shanahan when they were hired by Broncos owner Pat Bowlen. Hiring McDaniels would mean that Denver's young offensive coaches would likely lose their jobs, but his hiring would keep Jay Cutler on the right track.
Related: Lions, Patriots

Broncos Offense-TM - Broncos Jan. 3 - 3:23 pm et

Mike Shanahan told SI's Peter King that he's unlikely to return to the NFL sidelines in 2009.
"Unless there's a perfect situation out there, I'd rather sit out the year and return next year." That situation could arise if Washington, Dallas, San Diego, or Tampa declares a late firing, but for now it looks like Shanny will take 2009 off. Detroit, Cleveland, and Kansas City just aren't enticing enough.Source: SI.com

Broncos Offense-TM - Broncos Jan. 2 - 10:21 pm et

Broncos offensive assistant Rick Dennison will be interviewed Wednesday for the team's head-coaching vacancy.
Like Mel Tucker in Cleveland and Bill Callahan and Brian Schottenheimer with the Jets, this is probably an in-house "concession" interview. Dennison officially becomes the sixth candidate for the Broncos' gig, joining Steve Spagnuolo, Jason Garrett, Bob Stoops, Josh McDaniels, and Raheem Morris.Source: Denver Post

Broncos Offense-TM - Broncos Jan. 2 - 2:03 pm et

tomjonesrocks
01-04-2009, 12:27 PM
NFL Network's Adam Schefter says that many around the league believe Josh McDaniels is going to be the front-runner to land the Denver coaching search.

McDaniels would appear to mean a total discard of everything we're familiar with in Denver. The Pats do everything differently--so everything from the zone blocking running scheme to the West Coast offense would go out the door and we'd be watching 100% a new brand of football.

And incidentally, the Pats obviously run a 3-4, something that supposedly makes Cowher a less-than-likely choice.

This hire would be an indication Bowlen feels we are not on the right track offensively either.

The guy is really young as well. What is he, in is early 30s?

lex
01-04-2009, 12:29 PM
McDaniels would appear to mean a total discard of everything we're familiar with in Denver. The Pats do everything differently--so everything from the zone blocking running scheme to the West Coast offense would go out the door and we'd be watching 100% a new brand of football.

And incidentally, the Pats obviously run a 3-4, something that supposedly makes Cowher a less-than-likely choice.

This hire would mean that Bowlen obviously feels we are not on the right track offensively either.

The guy is really young as well. What is he, in is early 30s?

muse
01-04-2009, 12:31 PM

I disagree there. After all, this year was already a step away from the WCO - many fewer bootlegs and play action passes etc. Also McDaniels tried to install the ZBS in NE, although they've not been that successful with it so far. So I'm pretty sure he'd want to keep hold of the premier zone blocking scheme in the NFL especially as their pass pro is excellent.

BroncoWave
01-04-2009, 01:00 PM
PLEASE NO to McDaniels. Everyone that has come off Belichick's coaching tree has become a failure. And hiring McDaniels will do nothing to fix our defense unless he brings a kickass d-coordinator with him. I think McDaniels would be a huge mistake though.

lex
01-04-2009, 01:07 PM
PLEASE NO to McDaniels. Everyone that has come off Belichick's coaching tree has become a failure. And hiring McDaniels will do nothing to fix our defense unless he brings a kickass d-coordinator with him. I think McDaniels would be a huge mistake though.

Dont worry. The only thing that matters is that Jays happy and that he throws for 5000 yards and 40 TDs.

Traveler
01-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Adam Schefter
Busy day for Giants’ Spagnuolo
Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Cleveland Browns, Denver Broncos, New York Jets, NFL coaching search, Steve Spagnuolo

No assistant coach will be as busy on Saturday as Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo. It’s Spagnuolo’s day.

Saturday starts with an interview at the Jets training complex in New Jersey, continues with an interview in New York City with a contingent of Broncos officials Saturday night, and then wraps up with Spagnuolo trying to figure out whom the Giants will play host to in next weekend’s NFC Divisional Playoff Game.

Spagnuolo also could have other options aside from the Jets, Broncos and Browns which interviewed him earlier this week. The New York Giants do not want Spagnuolo to leave and could be persuaded to promise their defensive coordinator the chance to succeed head coach Tom Coughlin whenever he retires.

No one can say for certainty where Spagnuolo will end up next season. But more and more it is looking like it will be with the head coaching title.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/03/busy...nts-spagnuolo/

Denver Native (Carol)
01-04-2009, 05:15 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ddfb7b&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Patriots assistant McDaniels scheduled to meet with Broncos

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Denver Broncos are in a hurry to find Mike Shanahan's replacement.

By midweek, owner Pat Bowlen and his advisers will have interviewed five candidates to succeed the winningest coach in franchise history, the man who won him two Super Bowl trophies but just one playoff game in the decade since John Elway retired.

The Broncos brass planned to meet Sunday with New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, whose reputation grew this year after Matt Cassel, a perennial backup who hadn't started a game since high school, replaced an injured Tom Brady and led the Patriots to an 11-5 record a year after Brady threw for 50 touchdowns and came within less than a minute of the NFL's first 19-0 season.

McDaniels also interviewed for the Cleveland Browns' coaching vacancy on Friday.

The Broncos met Saturday night with the most sought-after assistant in the league this year, Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, who also has chatted with the Browns, Lions and Jets about becoming their coach.

Spagnuolo, 49, who spurned the Washington Redskins last year and got a big contract to stay in New York, is the architect of the pass rush that stymied Brady in last year's Super Bowl stunner and who has helped the Giants earn the top seed in the NFC playoffs this season despite the retirement of seven-time Pro Bowler Michael Strahan last summer and the loss of fellow Pro Bowl defensive end Osi Umenyiora to a knee injury in the preseason.

The Broncos need lots of help on defense, where they ranked 30th in points allowed this season, went through six free safeties and a half-dozen linebackers and couldn't stop the run under Bob Slowik, their third defensive coordinator in three seasons.

The Broncos' brain trust of Bowlen, chief operating officer Joe Ellis and personnel chief Jim Goodman will take a breather Monday before interviewing three more candidates at their team headquarters.

On Tuesday, they'll meet with Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, who spurned offers from Baltimore and Atlanta last offseason after Cowboys owner Jerry Jones upped his salary to about $3 million and pledged to make him head coach Wade Phillips' eventual successor.

On Wednesday, they'll interview Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive whiz Raheem Morris, 32, who was promoted from secondary coach to coordinator following the departure of Monte Kiffin to join his son Lane at Tennessee, and the only in-house candidate for the job, Rick Dennison.

Dennison, who played linebacker for the Broncos from 1982-90, joined Shanahan's staff in 1995 and coached special teams and the offensive line before being elevated to offensive coordinator three years ago.

Although the Broncos haven't reached the playoffs since losing to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC title game in 2005, it's hardly been the offense's fault.

Behind stars Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, Tony Scheffler, Ryan Clady and Eddie Royal, the Broncos ranked second in the league in yards this season but were done in by a dreadful defense that ranked 29th.

When Bowlen fired Shanahan last week with three years and more than $20 million left on his contract, he said he wanted a replacement who was "a 10 in every area" and would immediately put the Broncos back among the league's elite.

In addition to the five candidates they've lined up for interviews, the Broncos put out feelers to gauge the interest of University of Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops, who is preparing for his fourth shot at a national championship when the Sooners face Florida in the BCS title game Thursday night.

On Saturday, Stoops dismissed the notion he was ready to leave the college ranks for the rigors of the NFL.

"What situation? That's a rumor that I have not heard and no one has contacted me about that so I don't know anything about it," Stoops said of the Denver job. "We're preparing for a national championship, that's all my focus, all my concentration is on that, so obviously I'm not a candidate. I'm sure someone might have told me ... if I was.

"There's no story," Stoops said. "I'm not a candidate. This is the first I've heard about it."

The Broncos finished 8-8 this season and are 24-24 in the last three seasons, their first such stretch without a playoff appearance since 1980-82.

Despite a rash of injuries and personnel moves that didn't pan out, they were on the cusp of ending their playoff drought this season before a colossal collapse. Their 52-21 blowout at San Diego last week rendered them the first team in league history to blow a three-game lead with three weeks remaining.

Shanahan, 146-91 in 14 seasons in Denver, was fired 48 hours later.

It appears Shanahan will sit out the 2009 season and look to land a prime NFL coaching job in 2010, when fellow free agents Bill Cowher and Mike Holmgren might also be rejoining the coaching ranks.

Crews are putting the finishing touches on Shanahan's 35,000-square foot mansion and he recently broke ground on a Denver steakhouse that will bear his name.

So, he'll likely be getting an up-close view of the rebuilding job his successor tackles at Dove Valley.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Tned
01-04-2009, 05:17 PM
rotoworld:

Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo was reportedly very impressive in his Saturday night interview with Denver, but Josh McDaniels remains the favorite to be the Broncos' next head coach.

NFL.com's Adam Schefter says Spags is still in the running to replace Mike Shanahan, but "most league insiders" believe McDaniels is out in front. If we had to guess right now, we'd say McDaniels will go to Denver, Eric Mangini to Cleveland, and Spagnuolo to the Jets. But it's still very early in the process.
Source: NFL.com

BroncoWave
01-04-2009, 05:19 PM
I would be beyond pissed if it's McDaniels. Jay Glazer said we are also looking at Leslie Frazier from the Vikes. I'd take him over McDaniels.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-04-2009, 05:23 PM
I don't know enough about McDaniels. I want a defensive guy, but who knows? Maybe he picked up enough from Belichick to understand what good D takes...and a better DC will be hired.

Slick
01-04-2009, 05:24 PM
I doubt McDaniels knows more about offense or running a team than Mike Shanahan. I'm beginning to think this firing was a huge mistake.

Hire a GM, and get a guy that can coach a defense Pat. Leave the offense alone for crying out loud.

Tned
01-04-2009, 05:29 PM
I don't know enough about McDaniels. I want a defensive guy, but who knows? Maybe he picked up enough from Belichick to understand what good D takes...and a better DC will be hired.

I may be getting my candidates confused, but I was thinking McDaniels was a defensive position coach or something a while back that switched to the offensive side, and is now OC.

DenBronx
01-04-2009, 05:29 PM
mcdaniels as our hc is a huge mistake. we need the coach with a mind for defense. let bates stay which cutler and our offense wants and bring in a head coach that has roots with a stellar d. anything else is a huge mistake. bowlen is going to look like a complete idiot if he doesnt hire spag.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-04-2009, 05:34 PM
I really think we should be a bit patient. Billick was an offensive genius and Lewis was a defensive guru. However, once they became head coaches, their teams found success at their respective other sides of the ball. An offensive guy does not automatically equal defensive sufferage. We still would be getting a new DC as well. That is where the improvement will have to come.

Slick
01-04-2009, 05:36 PM
I really think we should be a bit patient. Billick was an offensive genius and Lewis was a defensive guru. However, once they became head coaches, their teams found success at their respective other sides of the ball. An offensive guy does not automatically equal defensive sufferage. We still would be getting a new DC as well. That is where the improvement will have to come.

Good point. There's a Tom Petty song that comes to mind at the moment.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Good point. There's a Tom Petty song that comes to mind at the moment.

Some here would say "Free Fallin"

Tned
01-04-2009, 05:42 PM

When Shanahan took over the Broncos they had the worst defense in the NFL. In two years, they were top five. He wasn't a defensive guru, but an offensive one.

Slick
01-04-2009, 05:46 PM

:lol: So true. I was thinking "The waiting is the hardest part"

Tned
01-04-2009, 05:47 PM

Some would say, "be careful what you ask for..." Oops. too late. :D

Denver Native (Carol)
01-04-2009, 06:01 PM
http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=playerbio&bio=24595

Coaching

Josh McDaniels enters his eighth NFL season and his eighth season in New England. He joined the Patriots on March 1, 2001 as a personnel assistant in the scouting department and assisted the defensive coaching staff for three seasons. He began serving as the Patriots' quarterbacks coach in 2004 and was named offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach on January 20, 2006.

McDaniels oversaw an offense that broke several NFL records in 2007, including points scored, touchdowns scored and most players scoring a touchdown. Under his tutelage, 2007 NFL MVP Tom Brady broke the NFL record for touchdown passes in a season (50) and led the league in both passing yards (4,806) and passer rating (117.2). Brady also set franchise marks in nearly every major passing category, while new wide receiver Wes Welker set the franchise record for receptions in a season (112). New acquisition Randy Moss broke the NFL record for touchdown receptions with 23 and set the Patriots' franchise record for receiving yards in a season (1,439). The Patriots offense also posted the franchise's highest average yards per rush in 22 seasons with 4.1 yards per carry and the team's 17 rushing touchdowns were the second highest total in the last 20 years.

In 2006, McDaniels helped integrate several new players into the offense, including free agent signee Reche Caldwell, mid-season acquisition Jabar Gaffney and rookie Laurence Maroney. In all, six new Patriots caught at least 10 passes, including Caldwell, who led the team with career-highs in receptions (69) and receiving yards (760). Gaffney, acquired prior to week six, became a starting receiver by the end of the regular season and was the team's most productive receiver in the playoffs. Maroney, splitting time with Corey Dillon, was the third leading rusher among NFL rookies.

In his role as quarterbacks coach, McDaniels has worked closely with Brady. In four seasons working with McDaniels, Brady has compiled the top four passer ratings of his eightyear career – 92.6 (2004), 92.3 (2005), 87.9 (2006) and 117.2 (2008).

In 2005, Brady led the NFL with a career-best 4,110 passing yards, a number that exceeded his previous career high by nearly 350 yards and represents the third highest yardage total in Patriots history. Patriots quarterbacks threw 28 touchdown passes, tying the fifth-highest total for the position in franchise history. The mark was also achieved in 1986, 2002 and 2004, McDaniels' first season as quarterbacks coach. Also in 2005, the Patriots finished the season as the NFL's second-ranked passing offense (257.5 yards per game), marking the team's highest ranking in that category in 11 seasons.

In addition to assisting in Brady's continued development, McDaniels has tutored Matt Cassel, a four-year backup quarterback in college and a seventh-round draft choice in 2005. In the 2005 regular-season finale, Cassel threw his first two touchdown passes since high school as he led the Patriots on a fourth-quarter comeback against Miami that fell just two points short.

In 2004, McDaniels earned his first positional coaching responsibilities and worked with Brady to help the quarterback produce his then highest passer rating of his career (92.6) and the third highest single-season passer rating in team history. Brady's 28 touchdown passes ranked second in the AFC and tied his career high set in 2002.

Upon his arrival in New England prior to the 2001 season, McDaniels served as a personnel assistant and quickly expanded his role to include film breakdown and scouting preparation for the defensive coaching staff. He became a coaching assistant in February of 2002. In that role, his responsibilities included film breakdown and scouting chart preparations for the defensive staff. In 2003, he drew additional responsibilities working with the defensive backs

McDaniels began his coaching career in 1999 as a graduate assistant at Michigan State, working under head coach Nick Saban.

silkamilkamonico
01-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Why does everyone think they know who's in the forefront?

I hardly believe that Bowlen has made a comment along the lines of, "we've interviewed a few coaches now, and Josh McDaniels is emerging as our favorite for the new head coaching position..."

I don't buy that at all.

Slick
01-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Why does everyone think they know who's in the forefront?

I hardly believe that Bowlen has made a comment along the lines of, "we've interviewed a few coaches now, and Josh McDaniels is emerging as our favorite for the new head coaching position..."

I don't buy that at all.

If it's on rotoworld or profootballtalk, it's got to be true silk. ;)

I think it's because we've got nothing else to talk about at the moment.

Tned
01-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Adam Schefter: Broncos move up Morris’ interview to Monday

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/04/broncos-will-interview-bucs-morris-on-monday/

The Broncos are busy wheeling, dealing and intensifying their head-coaching search.

The team has moved up Buccaneers defensive coordinator Raheem Morris‘ visit to Monday. Initially, Morris was scheduled to interview Wednesday.

Morris began the season as the Buccaneers’ defensive backs coach, and he recently was elevated to defensive coordinator in the wake of Monte Kiffin leaving to join his son, Lane, at the University of Tennessee.

silkamilkamonico
01-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Adam Schefter: Broncos move up Morris’ interview to Monday

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/04/broncos-will-interview-bucs-morris-on-monday/

I wonder if that means they are set to go with McDaniels possibly, and want to make the hire asap. It's a good contact for Morris to interview, and it satisfies the Rooney Rule.

yardog
01-04-2009, 08:43 PM
I wonder if that means they are set to go with McDaniels possibly, and want to make the hire asap. It's a good contact for Morris to interview, and it satisfies the Rooney Rule.

Let's hope not. :tsk:

silkamilkamonico
01-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Let's hope not. :tsk:

Yea I'm not sure how I feel about that either. The guy's what, 32?

DenBronx
01-04-2009, 08:53 PM
all i know is defense has been the back bone of the winning teams in the playoffs this year. it pretty much is every year. so, i'll be pissed if we go after a rookie head coach that was an o cordinator.

ikillz0mbies
01-04-2009, 09:18 PM
So if McDaniels gets hired, I have a strong feeling that Bates, Dennison, and Turner are pretty much gone. With McDaniels being an OC and his success in New England, especially with what hes done this past season, he will bring his own offensive philosophy to Denver, which is not a good thing. Cutler has and will thrive under Bates, and he will not be a happy man if his top request goes out the window.

I understand that Bowlen is the man behind the decision, but McDaniels is no defensive genius. Denver right now should be the team every available coach wants to coach for. They have the edge over (IMO) over other teams and they should be able to bring in the best coach available that can utilize defense.

Defense is the biggest problem in Denver. Has been for years. Why would an offensive coordinator be the answer? Maybe to have an offense so great and can score at will that a defense is not even needed? Going this route is like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

LRtagger
01-04-2009, 09:24 PM
:barf:

SmilinAssasSin27
01-04-2009, 09:42 PM

Could the same not be said for Spgs since we interviewed him yesterday?

lex
01-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Yeah, it doesnt look good. If its McDaniel, Pat really blew it on this one.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-04-2009, 09:46 PM

why is only 1 option acceptable? Pat is the same guy who hired Shanny, is he not? Why can't you give him the benefit of the doubt he has clearly earned? Besides, we know jack compared to what the real NFL folks do.

BroncoWave
01-04-2009, 09:52 PM
If we do hire McDaniels, he better bring a kickass defensive coordinator with him.

Scarface
01-04-2009, 09:57 PM
why is only 1 option acceptable? Pat is the same guy who hired Shanny, is he not? Why can't you give him the benefit of the doubt he has clearly earned? Besides, we know jack compared to what the real NFL folks do.

Exactly. It's not like Pat Bowlen is some smuck who doesn't know a thing or two about NFL football. He may not hire the guy I want but I trust that he makes the right decision.

lex
01-04-2009, 10:00 PM

First of all, dont worry about it. Second of all, speak for yourself.

lex
01-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Exactly. It's not like Pat Bowlen is some smuck who doesn't know a thing or two about NFL football. He may not hire the guy I want but I trust that he makes the right decision.

Pat Bowlen found his Lane Kiffin...his 30 something guy that he can control.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-04-2009, 10:03 PM

If that were really the case, I think Morris has more of a chance than u think.

Scarface
01-04-2009, 10:03 PM

Yep, that's Pat. A total control freak. You nailed it.:marchmellow:

Fan in Exile
01-04-2009, 10:06 PM

That's how he got along with Shanny for so long. Shanny let him do everything.

lex
01-04-2009, 10:11 PM

Things change. Shanahan pissed him off and now he's showing off his muscle. How many times did he say, "Im in charge" at the press conference?

Tned
01-04-2009, 10:15 PM

It's a little early to go with "blew it", don't you think?

silkamilkamonico
01-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Could the same not be said for Spgs since we interviewed him yesterday?

He can't announce Spags as coach until the Giants season is over. If that were the case there would be no reason to rush anything.

Shazam!
01-04-2009, 10:35 PM
All this speculation is killing me. Here are two possibilities-

1-Denver has 'agreed' on preliminary terms with their first choice, Spags. They want to get everyone in for the interviews to get the process over with, moving up Morris with the Rooney Rule satisfied. They can't announce it until the NY Giants season is over, but they will prepare for him.

2-McDaniels will be the next Coach of the Broncos. They want to wrap up the interview process to make the announcement and start picking the Patriots staff apart ASAP.

I will not trash McD (Oh man I can see it now) yet. Some Patriots juice I will not decree as poison yet. This team needed an injection of some SF49er championship goodness once upon a time. A new direction can be a good thing.

TXBRONC
01-04-2009, 10:39 PM

They could be just as easily be moving up the time table inorder to offer Spagnuolo the job as well.

lex
01-04-2009, 10:42 PM
They could be just as easily be moving up the time table inorder to offer Spagnuolo the job as well.

They cant until the Giants season is over.

jlarsiii
01-04-2009, 10:46 PM
It will be interesting to see which way we go and who gets hired. I don't envy the guy though. He is walking into quite a storm. The fan expectations are almost unreal, and he has to live up to and deal with the precedent set by our former HC. Already fans are picking sides and downplaying the other candidates. This is a tough fandom to deal with.

Tned
01-05-2009, 12:18 AM
All this speculation is killing me. Here are two possibilities-

1-Denver has 'agreed' on preliminary terms with their first choice, Spags. They want to get everyone in for the interviews to get the process over with, moving up Morris with the Rooney Rule satisfied. They can't announce it until the NY Giants season is over, but they will prepare for him.

2-McDaniels will be the next Coach of the Broncos. They want to wrap up the interview process to make the announcement and start picking the Patriots staff apart ASAP.

I will not trash McD (Oh man I can see it now) yet. Some Patriots juice I will not decree as poison yet. This team needed an injection of some SF49er championship goodness once upon a time. A new direction can be a good thing.

3. Bowlen is going to reunite Reeves and Elway, one on the sideline and one as GM...

Magnificent Seven
01-05-2009, 12:28 AM
Dan Reeves is too old and he has never won any Super Bowl. He is 0-4 in Super Bowl.

0-3 with the Broncos
0-1 with the Falcons.

Scarface
01-05-2009, 12:52 AM
It will be interesting to see which way we go and who gets hired. I don't envy the guy though. He is walking into quite a storm. The fan expectations are almost unreal, and he has to live up to and deal with the precedent set by our former HC. Already fans are picking sides and downplaying the other candidates. This is a tough fandom to deal with.

Pro football, that's what its all about. Some guys thrive in it. Some curl up in the fetal position.

Superchop 7
01-05-2009, 01:25 AM
I saw Reeves at Elways induction, didn't seem to be doing well physically.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer someone older myself, just letting you know what I saw.

Magnificent Seven
01-05-2009, 01:29 AM
John Elway would be a perfect for the position of General Manager. No question about it.

Shazam!
01-05-2009, 01:49 AM
3. Bowlen is going to reunite Reeves and Elway, one on the sideline and one as GM...

Nobody can predict the future. The Broncos could be better or worse without Shanahan.

Also by the same token, nobody could predict how Shanahan's offseason would work out, with the same 'quick fix' he is known for because 'we're only 3 players away on defense' how that might've worked out.

If Denver finished 5-11 next year, there will be the usual list of excuses and scapegoating as to why.

If Shanahan was fired then after further regressing, some would still be bitching.

Tned I understand your worry about the future of our beloved Broncos, but you really should try to be more optimistic. Change can be a good thing.

JKcatch724
01-05-2009, 04:23 AM
John Elway would be a perfect for the position of General Manager. No question about it.

What makes you think that? I seriously doubt his ability to be a legit GM. Just because you were a great player doesn't mean you know a great player when you see one.

fcspikeit
01-05-2009, 04:25 AM
So if McDaniels gets hired, I have a strong feeling that Bates, Dennison, and Turner are pretty much gone. With McDaniels being an OC and his success in New England, especially with what hes done this past season, he will bring his own offensive philosophy to Denver, which is not a good thing. Cutler has and will thrive under Bates, and he will not be a happy man if his top request goes out the window.

I understand that Bowlen is the man behind the decision, but McDaniels is no defensive genius. Denver right now should be the team every available coach wants to coach for. They have the edge over (IMO) over other teams and they should be able to bring in the best coach available that can utilize defense.

Defense is the biggest problem in Denver. Has been for years. Why would an offensive coordinator be the answer? Maybe to have an offense so great and can score at will that a defense is not even needed? Going this route is like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

If it were my choice, just off their body of work and what we need the most I would hire Spag or Rex Ryan.

That being said, McDaniels has done an amazing job with NE offense. We are not at these meetings, maybe McDaniels really knows something about defense too? Just because he was an OC doesn't mean he couldn't also be a great DC... I thought our offense looked pretty good but if I had my choice of OC's I would take McDaniels. In other words, I wouldn't not hire him just because we might lose Bates.. If he knows as much about D as he does O he would be a great HC IMO... I doubt Pat would hire him or anyone if he didn't feel he was the best guy for the job..

What other reason would he have for hiring McDaniels? Morris is who scares me, I have heard the NFL rewords teams for hiring minorities, like giving them more prime time games, where they make more cash for the broadcast. Cleveland comes to mind..

Anyways, I don't want Pat to hire someone just because that's what the NFL wants him to do... Beings Morris hasn't even been an OC or DC, I really don't see how he could be seriously considered as a candidate?

Tned
01-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Dan Reeves is too old and he has never won any Super Bowl. He is 0-4 in Super Bowl.

0-3 with the Broncos
0-1 with the Falcons.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer someone older myself, just letting you know what I saw.

I was making a Joke about Elway and Reeves, since we are all driving ourselves crazy with guessing.

Reeves, by the way, stated last week that he wanted to get back into coaching, but I can't imagine Bowlen hiring him.

Tned
01-05-2009, 08:00 AM
Nobody can predict the future. The Broncos could be better or worse without Shanahan.

Also by the same token, nobody could predict how Shanahan's offseason would work out, with the same 'quick fix' he is known for because 'we're only 3 players away on defense' how that might've worked out.

If Denver finished 5-11 next year, there will be the usual list of excuses and scapegoating as to why.

If Shanahan was fired then after further regressing, some would still be bitching.

Tned I understand your worry about the future of our beloved Broncos, but you really should try to be more optimistic. Change can be a good thing.

I am very optimistic about the Broncos future. There is a lot of talent on this team.

I do think the Defense only needs to upgrade 5-6 positions, at least 1, probably 2 of those upgrades will come with current personnel.

As to next year, we are just as likely to go 4-12 as 12-4, it is the nature of changing coaching staffs. A lot will depend on what happens on offense. If Bates, Turner and Dennison are kept, then we are much more likely to have a winning record, than we will be if someone like Josh McDaniels comes in and changes the offensive scheme, as well as addressing the defense.

In the end, it might even be positive to have our offense re-schemed, but it would almost certainly delay how long it is until we are really a SB contender.

Also, I'm definitely an optimist, but at the same time I am a realist and realize that the Broncos aren't immune to the same patterns and realities that other NFL clubs face. Odds are, the coach that is hired in the next week or two will not be our coach for the next 10+ years, but instead we will rotate through coaches every few years like most other NFL clubs.

I hope not, but the odds are that it will happen. Hopefully, we will be lucky and get a young hotshot that wins in the first few years, and then locks himself in for a 7-10 year stretch.

Den21vsBal19
01-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Baltimore's defensive coordinator says he's ready for job as head coach (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/04/broncos-report-ravens-d-coordinator-wants-head-coa/)

After seeing his unit dismantle the Miami Dolphins offense Sunday, Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan had a message for the Broncos and every other team in the market for a head coach:

Defense wins, and he knows how to coach it.

"The numbers say I've done a decent job," Ryan said. "If a team wants to stop somebody, all you have to do is look at my track record. If we don't get them stopped in the first year, it will probably be the first time we don't get them stopped in my career, going back through college, whatever. . . . I'll get my time, and whoever gets me will get a guy who is a real football coach and not a pretender."

The Broncos don't have Ryan among the first five candidates they will interview for their head coaching job, but Ryan said Sunday he wants to be a head coach and believes he will be one when the 2009 season begins.

The Broncos interviewed Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo on Saturday night in New York and Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels on Sunday in Providence, R.I., even as Ryan's defense intercepted Miami quarterback Chad Pennington four times and forced five turnovers overall.

Ryan and Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier are expected to be in the next wave of interviews if the Broncos don't believe they have found their man among their first five meetings.

Veteran Ravens cornerback Samari Rolle said Denver or any team would get "a guy who is ready to do it right now."

"But you know, he's a better person than a coach," Rolle said of Ryan. "He cares about you and he keeps us under control. Defense, we're his guys. I mean, look at this locker room. There are some strong personalities on this defense to deal with, real strong personalities.

"But Rex handles it. He's got a strong personality, too. Nobody disrespects Rex, nobody. We all play for him. I used to wonder when I was in Tennessee how the Ravens did it year after year. Now I know. You come in, guys understand. Guys like Rex keep the tradition. He's overdue, he's earned a chance."

Ryan is expected to get interest from the Lions and Rams as soon as he is available for an interview. He cannot interview until the week after the conference championship games if the Ravens advance to the Super Bowl, or after the Ravens are knocked out of the playoffs.

He interviewed for the head coaching jobs in Atlanta, Miami and Baltimore last year. When John Harbaugh was hired as Ravens head coach, he retained Ryan, and the Ravens again were among the league's defensive leaders.

"I think every coach in the NFL, every college, everywhere would want to be," Ryan said of head coaching aspirations. "I hope I get the opportunity. It's not the end-all if I don't, but I would like the opportunity. And, again, if you want to stop somebody, I've got a track record."

Traveler
01-05-2009, 08:13 AM
Maybe I'm a little sensitive, but it's getting a little annoying reading how some folks here are offhandedly dismissing Morris by stating he's just fulfilling the teams obligation to abide by the Rooney Rule.

Guess that goes for Frazier too since he's interviewing on Wednesday.

As for my choice of who I'd like to see as our new HC, it boils down to:

Spagnuolo
Morris
McDaniel
Frazier

Nomad
01-05-2009, 08:20 AM
What makes you think that? I seriously doubt his ability to be a legit GM. Just because you were a great player doesn't mean you know a great player when you see one.

I guess you could go with trial and error! He could be a great GM and his legend amongst BRONCO fans will be beyond comprehension or he could suck as bad as Matt Millen and he'll be remember as the worst GM of the BRONCOS and the legend is tarnished somewhat.

I don't care who the GM is or who the coach is and I don't have time to research or care to research the possible candidates (that's what Bowlen and advisors are for). As long as they get the right personnel in here to, first, make Invesco a place to dread playing in by opposing teams (not the home team) and second, a team you can count on giving fans a good game week in and week out. They won't win them all but this team can at least give good games! Playoffs will be a bonus!

Tned
01-05-2009, 08:20 AM
Maybe I'm a little sensitive, but it's getting a little annoying reading how some folks here are offhandedly dismissing Morris by stating he's just fulfilling the teams obligation to abide by the Rooney Rule.

Guess that goes for Frazier too since he's interviewing on Wednesday.

As for my choice of who I'd like to see as our new HC, it boils down to:

Spagnuolo
Morris
McDaniel
Frazier

I can't speak for everyone, but I think that was thrown out lately by those that have bought into the "McDaniels" leads the candidates, since the Broncos will have to interview a minority candidate before hiring anyone.

However, I don't think too many people feel that he is being interviewed only to fulfill the Rooney rule. There is no question that Morris is getting a lot of good press and a lot of people think he is ready to be a head coach.

On the flip side, I think there are a lot of us that are concerned when someone who hasn't even been an OC or DC (even if he was a big part of the defense) is being considered for the HC spot. Seems very likely that even if he knows the X's and O's, he will be short on experience on hiring, firing and other management duties of a HC, not to mention even possibly a coordintor position.

TXBRONC
01-05-2009, 08:23 AM

Thanks a lot Tned now I'm going to have nightmares about this until we actually know who the head coach and GM are. :tsk::laugh:

SmilinAssasSin27
01-05-2009, 08:52 AM

What was his role w/ the Arena League team? People seem to forget that he does have experience in that regard. I'm not saying he'll be a GREAT NFL GM, but don't dismiss his experience in the business end of football.

MOtorboat
01-05-2009, 09:08 AM
What was his role w/ the Arena League team? People seem to forget that he does have experience in that regard. I'm not saying he'll be a GREAT NFL GM, but don't dismiss his experience in the business end of football.

Co-Owner. He wasn't a personnel guy.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Co-Owner. He wasn't a personnel guy.

But he didn't have any experience w/ that end of things? No input? No learning while he was there? Again, not saying he became a guru, but I'd think he'd at least have a lttle bit of the front office stuff rub off on him.

MOtorboat
01-05-2009, 09:31 AM
But he didn't have any experience w/ that end of things? No input? No learning while he was there? Again, not saying he became a guru, but I'd think he'd at least have a lttle bit of the front office stuff rub off on him.

He may have. But he was more the face that they stuck out there for press conferences more than anything. He's had a long track-record of being a co-owner of a business. He's owned a lot of stuff in Denver.

I'd be OK with Bowlen giving him some job on the business-side, but its not like Elway needs the money. Just handing him the GM job I just don't think would be a good move. JMHO.

Zweems56
01-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Isaiah Thomas. That is all.

CoachChaz
01-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Isaiah Thomas. That is all.

Kevin McHale, Matt Millen...the list goes on

LRtagger
01-05-2009, 10:30 AM

I saw Reeves at the Falcons game this year when they gave tribute to the 98-99 NFC championship team at halftime.

Dan looked great.

Not saying I want him back in Denver, but he looked healthy (for his age).

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2009, 10:49 AM
As a side note - speaking of the defense, last night on Chevy's All Access on channel 4, Reggie Rivers used the telestrater to show different defensive plays in the SD game, and according to Reggie, it was not the personnel we had, but the scheme - he showed different plays, and kept referring to the scheme as a "soft defensive scheme".

NightTrainLayne
01-05-2009, 10:50 AM
As a side note - speaking of the defense, last night on Chevy's All Access on channel 4, Reggie Rivers used the telestrater to show different defensive plays in the SD game, and according to Reggie, it was not the personnel we had, but the scheme - he showed different plays, and kept referring to the scheme as a "soft defensive scheme".

:rolleyes: Uhh. .yeah. I guess that's why Reggie gets paid the big bucks huh? :rolleyes: I used the same phrase about 10 time during the game, but I didn't have a telestrater to really explain it to the wife.

MOtorboat
01-05-2009, 10:51 AM
:rolleyes: Uhh. .yeah. I guess that's why Reggie gets paid the big bucks huh? :rolleyes: I used the same phrase about 10 time during the game, but I didn't have a telestrater to really explain it to the wife.

If you had just paid for the postage I would have sent you one for Christmas. :rolleyes:

NightTrainLayne
01-05-2009, 10:54 AM
If you had just paid for the postage I would have sent you one for Christmas. :rolleyes:

My postage budget was depleted for 2008. :D This is a new year though.

MOtorboat
01-05-2009, 10:56 AM
My postage budget was depleted for 2008. :D This is a new year though.

What are those things actually called. I googled it to see how much those things cost and can't find one. Is it like a network top secret formula?

Edit: it could help if I could spell.

NightTrainLayne
01-05-2009, 11:01 AM
What are those things actually called. I googled it to see how much those things cost and can't find one. Is it like a network top secret formula?

http://www.telestrator.com/default.asp

Looks like it probably falls into that category of "If you have to ask, it's too expensive."

MOtorboat
01-05-2009, 11:03 AM
http://www.telestrator.com/default.asp

looks like it probably falls into that category of "if you have to ask, it's too expensive."

$12,000

NightTrainLayne
01-05-2009, 11:04 AM
$12,000

Is that more or less than your Scion's MSRP?

MOtorboat
01-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Is that more or less than your Scion's MSRP?

Slightly below.

NightTrainLayne
01-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Slightly below.

I wonder what kind of gas mileage it gets?

Fan in Exile
01-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Is anyone else wondering if we should interview Ron Rivera for HC. If for no other reason than to get him away from San Diego?

MOtorboat
01-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Is anyone else wondering if we should interview Ron Rivera for HC. If for no other reason than to get him away from San Diego?

No, hadn't really thought about it at all. I think the candidates we've found out about so far are better candidates than Rivera, though.

Tned-Mobile
01-05-2009, 12:06 PM

it's ironic, because last week Reggie referred to the talent as the issue. i even posted a quote from him saying more times than not we had players in the right spot at the right time (meaning the play called worked), but the player was beaten or out talented at point of attack.

Fan in Exile
01-05-2009, 12:07 PM
No, hadn't really thought about it at all. I think the candidates we've found out about so far are better candidates than Rivera, though.

I wouldn't argue with that, I just want the Chargers to implode. I think I'll root for him to go to Detroit instead.

Tned-Mobile
01-05-2009, 12:08 PM

he just took over as DC mid season. while the chargers D did improve under him, he would seem like a very risky candidate.

broncofaninfla
01-05-2009, 12:24 PM
The thing about Rivera is the players respond to him and usually favor him over their HC. That was the case in Chicago and I've heard the same out of San Diego. He isn't my first choice but Rivera is a difference maker.

Drill-N-Fill
01-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo comes with rave reviews. He greatly impressed the Broncos executives he had dinner with Saturday night in New Jersey, and it wouldn’t be overly surprising to see him wind up with the job.

But most league insiders believe Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, the coach the Broncos are interviewing Sunday morning, is the leader for the Denver job.

For starters, McDaniels is at the stage in his career now that Dan Reeves was when the Broncos made him the youngest head coach back in 1981. Owner Pat Bowlen bought the team in 1984 and stayed with Reeves for nearly a decade.

When Bowlen later hired Shanahan in 1995 (after a two-year stint with defensive-minded Wade Phillips), the owner once again was drawn to the coach’s youth and offensive imagination.

And, at 32, McDaniels would bring Bowlen the same attributes his two primary coaching hires have. Plus, as the Patriots’ play-caller and offensive mastermind with defensive-minded head coach Bill Belichick, McDaniels got the most out of quarterback Matt Cassel. Just imagine what McDaniels could do with Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler.

Denver still will go through an exhaustive interview process. But league insiders believe McDaniels is the coach to beat.

underrated29
01-05-2009, 02:13 PM
I read that they moved up the morris interview to monday. I dont know if thats today monday or next monday the 12th. Either way, he is the minority candidate and there is no real reason to move him up unless they think they have the man for the job.

Just speculating here, but if this is the case for the move up, and we officially cant sign spags as a coach until his team loses or the season is over. That leads me to believe that it will be the patriots guy.

Mcdaniels- like the rumor above said.

He will probably be our new HC.

If he is, turner will probably be gone. Boy i hope not.

Medford Bronco
01-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo comes with rave reviews. He greatly impressed the Broncos executives he had dinner with Saturday night in New Jersey, and it wouldn’t be overly surprising to see him wind up with the job.

But most league insiders believe Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, the coach the Broncos are interviewing Sunday morning, is the leader for the Denver job.

For starters, McDaniels is at the stage in his career now that Dan Reeves was when the Broncos made him the youngest head coach back in 1981. Owner Pat Bowlen bought the team in 1984 and stayed with Reeves for nearly a decade.

When Bowlen later hired Shanahan in 1995 (after a two-year stint with defensive-minded Wade Phillips), the owner once again was drawn to the coach’s youth and offensive imagination.

And, at 32, McDaniels would bring Bowlen the same attributes his two primary coaching hires have. Plus, as the Patriots’ play-caller and offensive mastermind with defensive-minded head coach Bill Belichick, McDaniels got the most out of quarterback Matt Cassel. Just imagine what McDaniels could do with Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler.

Denver still will go through an exhaustive interview process. But league insiders believe McDaniels is the coach to beat.

This scares the hell out of me.

Why bring in an offensive coach when our huge problems are on defense.

I would love to see Spagnuolo or Schwartz from Tenn.

heck even Rex Ryan from Balt over McDaniels.

I would only want McDaniels with Pioli and that is not happening.

Tned-Mobile
01-05-2009, 02:23 PM
I read that they moved up the morris interview to monday. I dont know if thats today monday or next monday the 12th. Either way, he is the minority candidate and there is no real reason to move him up unless they think they have the man for the job.

Just speculating here, but if this is the case for the move up, and we officially cant sign spags as a coach until his team loses or the season is over. That leads me to believe that it will be the patriots guy.

Mcdaniels- like the rumor above said.

He will probably be our new HC.

If he is, turner will probably be gone. Boy i hope not.

They could also want to just finish up the process as soon as possioble, so they don't lose a candidate to another team that makes an offer first. when is garret scheduled?

broncofaninfla
01-05-2009, 02:55 PM

I've got my eyes on this story. Seems to be gaining speed online. Might be something to it. I'm still hoping for Spags though...

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2009, 03:18 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/bowlen.coach.search.2.900396.html

Raheem Morris' interviewing skills could make his promotion to defensive coordinator in Tampa Bay a moot point.

The Buccaneers' 32-year-old secondary coach and defensive whiz moved up his interview 48 hours and met with the Denver Broncos about their coaching vacancy Monday.

He's the third candidate to speak with Broncos owner Pat Bowlen, who stunned the NFL last week by firing Mike Shanahan after 14 seasons.

Shanahan, who won back-to-back Super Bowls in the late 1990s but just one playoff game in the 10 years since John Elway retired, is expected to take a year off before returning to coaching. He has three years and more than $20 million left on his contract, and sitting out next season would cost Bowlen about $7 million for Shanahan to stay away from Dove Valley.

It's not known whether those financial constraints will play a role in Bowlen's choice of a new coach. One thing's for sure, Bowlen isn't going to give his next coach as much power as he gave Shanahan, splitting the head coach and general manager's jobs.

He said he'll focus on finding a GM after he hires a coach.

Morris earned a promotion from secondary coach to defensive coordinator in Tampa Bay following the departure last week of longtime assistant Monte Kiffin, who's joining his son, Lane, at the University of Tennessee.

Morris is the first candidate to interview in Denver. Bowlen and his search crew interviewed Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo in New York on Saturday and New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels in Rhode Island on Sunday.

On Tuesday, the Broncos will host two more offensive coordinators at their team headquarters: Jason Garrett of the Dallas Cowboys and Rick Dennison, a longtime Shanahan deputy.

Like Spagnuolo, Garrett is a hot commodity. He spurned offers from Baltimore and Atlanta last offseason after the Cowboys agreed to make him the league's highest-paid assistant at $3 million and pledged to make him head coach Wade Phillips' eventual successor.

That was before Shanahan was on the market, however. There's a possibility Jones would see Shanahan as a good fit in Dallas either this year or next.

Dennison, who played linebacker for the Broncos from 1982-90, joined Shanahan's staff in 1995 and coached special teams and the offensive line before being elevated to offensive coordinator three years ago.

Although it's Denver's dreadful defense that needs another overhaul following a series of bad personnel moves and poor draft picks by Shanahan, the Broncos' high-octane offense can use some tweaking itself.

The Broncos ranked second in the league in yards gained at 396 a game but just 16th in scoring at 23.1 points, an indication they could use a fresh offensive ideas to help hone Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler's skills and iron out the inconsistencies in his game.

The Broncos, who lost an astonishing seven tailbacks to injured reserve, expect to get rookies Ryan Torain (knee) and Peyton Hillis (hamstring) back atop their depth chart in 2009 and might also target a bona fide workhouse in the draft, where they have the 12th overall pick.

If the Broncos' next coach comes from the defensive side, the team is expected to ask him to keep some offensive assistants such as play-caller Jeremy Bates and longtime running backs coach Bobby Turner.

The Broncos need lots of help on defense, where they ranked 29th in yards and 30th in points allowed, went through six free safeties and a half-dozen linebackers and couldn't stop the run under Bob Slowik, their third defensive coordinator in three seasons.

Shanahan was 146-91 with the Broncos, but just 24-24 since losing the 2005 AFC title game to Pittsburgh. Their three-year stretch without making the playoffs is the proud franchise's longest drought in 26 years, and this year the Broncos became the first team to blow a three-game division lead with three weeks left.

fcspikeit
01-05-2009, 03:57 PM
I can't speak for everyone, but I think that was thrown out lately by those that have bought into the "McDaniels" leads the candidates, since the Broncos will have to interview a minority candidate before hiring anyone.

However, I don't think too many people feel that he is being interviewed only to fulfill the Rooney rule. There is no question that Morris is getting a lot of good press and a lot of people think he is ready to be a head coach.

On the flip side, I think there are a lot of us that are concerned when someone who hasn't even been an OC or DC (even if he was a big part of the defense) is being considered for the HC spot. Seems very likely that even if he knows the X's and O's, he will be short on experience on hiring, firing and other management duties of a HC, not to mention even possibly a coordintor position.

It's to bad we couldn't give him the DC job... I have heard good things about him on that side of the ball... But it's just to early to tell...

Why aren't we considering Rex Ryan? :confused:

The Ravens have had a great defense for years. There is no doubt in my mind, if we got Ryan, our D would improve big time...

Ziggy
01-05-2009, 04:09 PM
It's to bad we couldn't give him the DC job... I have heard good things about him on that side of the ball... But it's just to early to tell...

Why aren't we considering Rex Ryan? :confused:

The Ravens have had a great defense for years. There is no doubt in my mind, if we got Ryan, our D would improve big time...

That's a very good question. He's obviously considered a 2nd tier coaching prospect for some reason. Most great D coordinators don't have to campaign for a head coaching gig like he has been the last couple of days. There must be something to his resume or character that hasn't been made public to ordinary folks like us.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2009, 06:34 PM
http://www.cbs4denver.com/video/?id=51289@kcnc.dayport.com

Superchop 7
01-05-2009, 06:49 PM
That's a very good question. He's obviously considered a 2nd tier coaching prospect for some reason. Most great D coordinators don't have to campaign for a head coaching gig like he has been the last couple of days. There must be something to his resume or character that hasn't been made public to ordinary folks like us.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Ticking time bomb.

LordTrychon
01-05-2009, 06:55 PM

What I'd heard was that we weren't going to interview any 3-4 coaches for this first group... although that wouldn't explain why he can't get a job elsewhere...

muse
01-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Morris said in his CBS4 interview that he'd "studied a little bit" of the Broncos' defence last season.

I don't know whether he'd be laughing at Slowik's schemes or crying at how badly someone could butcher such a beautiful game.

Good luck Raheem, hope you have a good interview!

Rick
01-05-2009, 07:27 PM
If Bowlan insists on having a young guy as the new HC I would greatly prefer Morris over McDanials.

Thats is not a slight on McDanials...just the one thing I don't believe we need at this point is an offensive HC.

fcspikeit
01-05-2009, 07:37 PM

I can't help but feel his dad has something to do with it... When you put a bounty out on players it leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth...

fcspikeit
01-05-2009, 07:39 PM
If Bowlan insists on having a young guy as the new HC I would greatly prefer Morris over McDanials.

Thats is not a slight on McDanials...just the one thing I don't believe we need at this point is an offensive HC.

For all we know McDanials has a better mind for defense the does Morris...

He hasn't even been a DC.. McDanials has worked with the defense as much as Morris has..

Tned
01-05-2009, 07:59 PM
For all we know McDanials has a better mind for defense the does Morris...

He hasn't even been a DC.. McDanials has worked with the defense as much as Morris has..

That could be a big factor in McDaniel's favor. The fact that the Broncos likely have the offensive weapons to run a NE style offense, combined with the fact that McDaniels used to work on the defensive side of the ball.

PatricktheDookie
01-05-2009, 08:02 PM
I was pretty impressed with Morris' brief interview. Seems like a bright young man.

Rick
01-05-2009, 08:06 PM
I hands down want Spags but...

"Raheem is a very enthusiastic person, a very likeable person and will be good with the press," Kiffin said. "But that's not why he got the job. There are coaches like that, but they can't really coordinate. But Raheem, he's ready. He deserves it. He's ready, and he can do it."

I would always with this team prefer the finest defensive mind to run it and if Kiffin, one of the greatest defensive minds in football endorses Morris then I believe him.

Tned
01-05-2009, 08:23 PM

I would always with this team prefer the finest defensive mind to run it and if Kiffin, one of the greatest defensive minds in football endorses Morris then I believe him.

It's just a big leap, vs. being a coordinator for a couple years. He might have a great defensive mind, but does he have the skills to delegate, hire his own coordinators, etc. He might very well have those skills, but I thnk the risk with someone like him or Rivera that just made the leap to DC is much higher.

TXBRONC
01-05-2009, 08:26 PM

He may have indeed learned something about that end of the business but it still wouldn't mean he would be good at evaluating talent.

fcspikeit
01-05-2009, 08:27 PM

That endorsement wasn't for a HC job.. Did he say that about Morris being a DC or DB coach?

Den21vsBal19
01-05-2009, 08:34 PM
They could also want to just finish up the process as soon as possioble, so they don't lose a candidate to another team that makes an offer first. when is garret scheduled?
According to AP (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBN_COACHGM_SEARCHES?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2009-01-05-19-47-16), Garrett (& Dennison) are due to be interviewed on Tuesday

On Tuesday, the Broncos will host two more offensive coordinators at their team headquarters: Jason Garrett of the Dallas Cowboys and Rick Dennison, a longtime Shanahan deputy.

TXBRONC
01-05-2009, 08:34 PM
It's just a big leap, vs. being a coordinator for a couple years. He might have a great defensive mind, but does he have the skills to delegate, hire his own coordinators, etc. He might very well have those skills, but I thnk the risk with someone like him or Rivera that just made the leap to DC is much higher.

I'm with you. He hasn't managed an entire defense yet, to me that is way big of leap. Monte Kiffin is terrific coordinator I'm not sold on his endorsement Raheem is ready to be a head coach.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2009, 10:33 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_11381449?source=rss

New coach added to Broncos' list7 PM MST

On Wednesday, the Broncos will interview Leslie Frazier, the Minnesota Vikings' defensive coordinator.

Add a sixth candidate and a third defensive coordinator to the Broncos' head coaching shortlist.

The team will interview Leslie Frazier, the Minnesota Vikings' defensive coordinator, Wednesday afternoon at Dove Valley.

Frazier was a member of the Chicago Bears' Super Bowl winning team in the 1985 season.

As the Cincinnati Bengals' defensive coordinator in 2003 and 2004, the Bengals had a combined 60 takeaways. His 2008 Vikings had the NFL's sixth-ranked defense.

The head coaches Frazier has worked for are Andy Reid, Tony Dungy and Brad Childress.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Interesting. I know Frazier has some serious beef on the Minnesota DLine, but Cincy having so many takeaways is impressive. Problem is...he's gone now and they had their best D in years this past season.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2009, 10:47 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_11363899

New Broncos coach, GM will be on equal footing

So Broncos fans understand, just because their new head coach will not be named Mike Shanahan doesn't mean he will cower meekly in the back of the room during personnel meetings.

From the start, the new coach will always have the benefit of knowing he was not hired by whoever becomes the team's general manager. There is power in that. It may not create dictator-like Shanahan control, but the Broncos' new coach will have no less than an equal say on personnel matters.

"It's a little bit unusual to hire the coach first, but that doesn't mean it can't work," said Floyd Reese, a former Tennessee Titans general manager. "I think the key is whoever's doing the hiring is they're very clear what the responsibilities are for each man. And then to make sure both guys have the same focus. It's going to be very hard to hire a coach who wants to run the run-and-shoot and hire a GM who's a believer in defense and the running game."

Unlike baseball, where the manager generally is responsible for managing the roster the GM gives him, football franchises have independent ideas on how the framework of control should be shared.

For the past 14 years, the Broncos operated in a system in which Shanahan answered to no one. Like Andy Reid in Philadelphia and New England's Bill Belichick, Shanahan had the final say on the draft, free-agent signings, trades, contract negotiations, who made the 53-man roster, who would start on Sunday and whether they would wear alternative home uniforms.

It created the impression the only responsibility left for Broncos owner Pat Bowlen was to stay fit and tan.

But Shanahan is gone, in part because Bowlen wanted more to do.

"I run the show," Bowlen said emphatically at his news conference Wednesday.

After 14 years of Shanahan, Bowlen couldn't resist an overwhelming urge to rearrange the front-office furniture. Bowlen, in consultation with chief operating officer Joe Ellis, will hire the new coach. He has six candidates on his shortlist: Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops, Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, Buccaneers defensive coordinator Raheem Morris, Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels and Broncos offensive coordinator Rick Dennison.

Power will be shared

The coach hired will answer directly to Bowlen. The new general manager also will answer to Bowlen. The idea is for the Broncos to have a more common, management-by-committee system. It's the type of 50-50 power split exercised in Carolina, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Arizona and the Giants, to name some playoff teams.

More specifically in this front-office model, the GM has final say on draft picks.

"Because common sense says you and the scouts spent a year studying this," said Charley Casserly, GM of the Redskins during their Super Bowl years in the 1980s. "The coach spends two months on it."

The coach and GM work together on trades and pursuit of top free agents.

"On trades and major free-agent signees, the head coach and I always had to agree on it," said Casserly, who worked with Joe Gibbs. "If we didn't agree, it went to the owner to break the tie. It was rare that ever happened because you were both working under the same philosophy, and that led to seeing things the same way."

It's one reason Spagnuolo would make sense. He believes in the 4-3 set, the alignment the Broncos already operate, although not nearly as well as the Giants. A defensive-minded head coach would also allow the Broncos to pacify quarterback Jay Cutler by retaining several offensive assistants, specifically Jeremy Bates.

Where the Broncos' new organizational ladder would be like their old one is the coach would have final say on who makes the 53-man roster, whether a kid like Wesley Woodyard is ready to replace a knee-wobbled veteran like Boss Bailey or D.J. Williams at outside linebacker, and if Cutler should throw fewer than 38 1/2 passes a game, whether he likes it or not.

"In the end, in spite of titles and responsibilities, the head coach is the face of the franchise," Reese said. "I used to say the head coach is the quarterback and the GM is an offensive lineman. The GM is never the face of the franchise."

Some holdovers possible

The 2008 draft largely explains why the Broncos' front-office trio of Jim Goodman, Brian Xanders and Jeff Goodman did not receive the same fate as Shanahan and so many of his assistant coaches. The Broncos may never exceed the wisdom demonstrated in the 2006 draft that produced Cutler, Brandon Marshall, Tony Scheffler, Elvis Dumervil, Domenik Hixon and Chris Kuper.

But 2008 brought a rare mix of impact players at the top (Ryan Clady, Eddie Royal) and hidden gems at the bottom (Spencer Larsen, Peyton Hillis, Brett Kern, Woodyard).

There's a strong chance Jim Goodman will officially become the Broncos' GM. Then again, if the competition to lure a particular head coach becomes heated — Spagnuolo may also be the top choice for the New York Jets — the Broncos could allow their new coach to bring in a personnel guy.

Either way, the new coach won't be quite as taxed as Shanahan. He won't be two guys in one.

"Coaches who have also tried to be GMs, I think we've seen that fail enough to look at them and say that's probably not the way to go," Reese said.

"Even if just one guy is in charge of everything, he still has somebody in charge of organizing the material, preparing it for him, both in college and pro," Casserly said. "And he still has somebody managing the cap, doing the negotiating, even though he may have final say in that. You still have the same number of people doing the same jobs. The only difference is: Who has final say once you get into the meeting."

fcspikeit
01-06-2009, 12:54 AM

He may have indeed learned something about that end of the business but it still wouldn't mean he would be good at evaluating talent.

Talent on the field or coaching level..

There are way to many questions still out there on Morris. Taking him as our new HC would be a huge gamble to say the least...

There will always be some risk in giving a guy his first HC job. At least with Spags or Ryan we know what they can do with the defense..

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2009, 01:54 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/bowlen.coach.defense.2.900885.html

Rivers: Bowlen Must Hire A Defensive Coach

When I lay awake at night, staring at the ceiling wondering what the Broncos are going to do, I pray that Pat Bowlen will not hire another offensive guru as head coach. Obviously, Bowlen wants to hire the best prospect available regardless of his area of specialization, but the Broncos defensive problems are so acute, that fixing that side of the ball must be Bowlen's first priority.

Early reports suggest that Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is the front runner for the job, and Bowlen has interviews this week with Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett and Broncos offensive coordinator Rick Dennison.

All three of these men are fine coaches, and I'm sure that each of them will be a fine NFL head coach for someone, but I believe that Bowlen would be making a huge mistake if he hires an offensive-minded coach to fix a team that is riddled with defensive problems.

Denver needs a head coach with previous experience as a defensive coordinator.

Denver needs a head coach who can pull out the tapes from the 2008 season and identify the problems and come up with solutions.

Denver needs a coach who will arrive with a clearly defined defensive philosophy that has proven successful for other teams.

Denver needs a coach who can look at the Broncos current defensive roster and figure out how to use the talented players already on this team to create a unit that can actually stop opponents on the field.

Denver needs a defense.

The offensive arsenal is already well stocked, and the new defensive-minded head coach would be wise to retain some of the offensive coaches from Shanahan's regime.

The offense has quarterback Jay Cutler, wide receivers Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal and Brandon Stokley, tight ends Daniel Graham and Tony Scheffler, offensive tackles Ryan Harris and Ryan Clady, and a boat-load of quality running backs all coming off injured reserve.

Despite not having a running game, despite having little defensive support and despite persistent red zone sputters, this offense was still the 2nd best in the league and has the potential to be the top unit next season.

That's why Bowlen must hire a defensive coach. The offense needs minor tweaking; the defense needs an overhaul.

In 2008, the defense was soft against the run, soft against the pass and too generous in the red zone. The "D" finished the season ranked 29th in the league, and dragged the Broncos to three straight defeats to end the season just short of the playoffs. That's the primary reason that Mike Shanahan was fired.

Yes, I've heard the rumors that Shanahan was fired, because Bowlen didn't feel that he could communicate with the head coach any more. But the only thing I can imagine that Bowlen would have wanted to talk about was the defense.

Bowlen is a hands-on owner who is very hands-off about everyday decisions. He's in his office every day; he's very active on NFL committees; he's very involved with the non-football operations side of the Broncos business; he keeps a very loose grip on the purse strings so that his personnel department can reach in whenever they need cash to bring in high-priced free agents and coaches, and he's absolutely committed to winning. Pat Bowlen embodies most of the qualities you would want in an ideal owner.

He does not interfere with football operations. He's not like Jerry Jones or Mark Cuban. He doesn't get involved in personnel decisions. He doesn't debate the efficacy of this offense or that defense. He doesn't evaluate players or assistant coaches. Bowlen delegates all of those decisions to his head coach, and then he gets out of the way.

The only exception to that rule is that if things are not going well on the field Bowlen might try to talk to his head coach about the problem. The defense has become progressively worse during the past three seasons, and if Bowlen tried to talk to Shanahan about it and couldn't, then the communication gap might have compelled him to fire the coach, but the underlying problem was the defense.

That underlying problem will continue to rot the legs out from under this franchise unless Bowlen deals with it during this coaching search.

He needs to hire a defensive coach.

TXBRONC
01-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Talent on the field or coaching level..

There are way to many questions still out there on Morris. Taking him as our new HC would be a huge gamble to say the least...

There will always be some risk in giving a guy his first HC job. At least with Spags or Ryan we know what they can do with the defense..

Exactly, when a coordinator (offensive or defensive)is hired as you know they at least have experience calling, Morris has none and that is huge concern for me.

broncofaninfla
01-06-2009, 02:05 PM
What is the official rule on Denver being allowed to make an offer to a coach who's team is currently competing in the playoffs? Can they make a verbal then sign the candidate AFTER the team completes or is elimanted from the post season?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2009, 02:12 PM
What is the official rule on Denver being allowed to make an offer to a coach who's team is currently competing in the playoffs? Can they make a verbal then sign the candidate AFTER the team completes or is elimanted from the post season?

I may be wrong, but I thought there was a time when you could not even talk to a coach who's team was still competing - i.e. something about not allowing distractions.