PDA

View Full Version : Interesting segment from Article...

MHCBill
01-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Highlighted below... I thought this was interesting.

Bowlen to keep Cutler in loop about coach search
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/01/2009 12:30:00 AM MST

Concerned that his franchise quarterback was upset regarding the firing of coach Mike Shanahan, Cutler received a phone call Wednesday from Broncos owner Pat Bowlen. Indications were Cutler would be kept abreast of the coaching search.

"Obviously, he's the man around here now, so I will be talking to Jay," Bowlen said.

Cutler might have vowed to not watch the NFL playoffs, but he was watching football Wednesday.

Cutler traveled to Nashville, Tenn., to watch Vanderbilt, his alma mater, play in the Music City Bowl. The Commodores beat Boston College 16-14 for the school's first bowl victory in 53 years.

Earlier in the day, Cutler spoke on the phone to Shanahan.

What's next for Shanahan? He has been at least indirectly contacted by the New York Jets and Cleveland Browns about their coaching openings. The Browns, though, may be getting ready to hire New England general manager Scott Pioli, who has his own ideas about a head coach. And the Jets' situation would be considered difficult for any experienced coach because of the constant uncertainty surrounding the future of Brett Favre.

"I'm not going to make any decisions whether it be this year, next year, two years from now," Shanahan said. "I'll sit back and get away for a couple weeks and look at your options and opportunities and go from there."

Elway speaks on Shanahan.

Former Broncos quarterback John Elway issued a comment on the firing of Shanahan through opensports.com.

"There's an old saying that the NFL stands for Not For Long," Elway said in a statement. "But Mike lasted a long time, 14 years to be exact. That's an eternity in this day and age of the NFL and speaks to all of his achievements and success. . . .

"I want to thank him for all of his wisdom that he imparted on me. Mike was an integral part of my success and I will always value the lessons he taught me."

Player witnesses.

Running back Michael Pittman, long snapper Mike Leach and receiver Brandon Marshall were the only three players who attended the news conference in which Bowlen addressed the firing of Shanahan.

"It was impressive they went together like they did," Leach said of Shanahan following Bowlen to the podium. "I thought they showed a lot of dignity and class. I'm a little worried about the guys walking past us right now."

He was referring to the Broncos' assistant coaches, all of whom are under contract at least through 2009, but were told following the news conference they could seek employment elsewhere.

Family considerations.

After Shanahan's brief meeting with Bowlen on Tuesday, he returned home to see his wife Peggy, daughter Krystal, and Krystal's fiance. Those three, as well as son Kyle, the Texans' offensive coordinator, were all sympathetic, Shanahan said.

"They understand the business, they understand how tough it is, they understand how I felt being in positions to let somebody go," Shanahan said. "They understand how tough it was on me, so they can relate to what Pat had to go through last night."

Mike Klis and Lindsay H. Jones, The Denver Post

Superchop 7
01-01-2009, 11:38 AM
53 guys and only 3 show up ?

MOtorboat
01-01-2009, 11:40 AM

Most had left town before the firing, thinking nothing was awry.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2009, 11:43 AM

We have no idea how many were still in town. Jay took a 3:00 flight out Monday, and that is why Brandon sat in for him on the Jay Cutler show Monday night. Some of the players were interviewed on Tuesday, and they all were shocked. Also, for the players still in town, maybe they just did not want to be there and hear what was going to be said. I certainly do not feel their absence indicates that they did not like Mike. Maybe their absence indicates that they did NOT agree with the decision. We will never know unless some of them talk about it.

MOtorboat
01-01-2009, 11:51 AM
I like that Brandon is in Denver. Maybe he'll stay out of trouble if he doesn't go back home.

pnbronco
01-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Most had left town before the firing, thinking nothing was awry.

Lockers were cleaned out on Monday and then they head out of town right away. So MB's right don't read anything into it. I'm more surprised the Brandon is still in town.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Also, some of the players that were interviewed said they were responsible for what happened this year. Therefore, maybe, if they were still in town, they would not feel comfortable sitting at a press conference where their coach was being fired, because of them not playing up to par. As I said, unless they talk, we will never know.

topscribe
01-01-2009, 12:43 PM
We have no idea how many were still in town. Jay took a 3:00 flight out Monday, and that is why Brandon sat in for him on the Jay Cutler show Monday night. Some of the players were interviewed on Tuesday, and they all were shocked. Also, for the players still in town, maybe they just did not want to be there and hear what was going to be said. I certainly do not feel their absence indicates that they did not like Mike. Maybe their absence indicates that they did NOT agree with the decision. We will never know unless some of them talk about it.

I doubt we will ever find out for sure, at least while they are playing for the
Broncos. That is kind of a code: you don't talk about things like that in public.

But I would bet my last dollar (and I'm just about there :laugh: ) that there
are a whole bunch of players among the 53 who are very upset at this time.

-----

gobroncsnv
01-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Agree. Shanny had a reputation among the players who did well for us of being a guy who told them exactly where they stood, which is, sadly, pretty much a rare thing. Listen to TD, Stink, 7, and many others, and they all hold the same opinion. He brought a lot of passion and fire to the game, but this was one storm he just couldn't weather. There were definite improvements to the offense, but too many RB's went down.

The defense? Whole 'nother story. I really think THAT is what did him in, at least as much as anything. If you look at the picture from 30,000 feet, it appears that not much was done on D, especially in the most recent years, for getting players. You can't survive in this league with half of a team. I'd have trouble believing he's gonna drag Slowik along to his next gig.

Den21vsBal19
01-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Most of the defensive ones will be gone next year anyway....................with any luck ;)