PDA

View Full Version : Brodrick Bunkley-All Pro

Dzone
10-28-2011, 03:55 AM
Gotta love it. DT was considered a major weakness, but PFF thinks Bunkley is week 8 all pro. Is this a sign of things to come with Bunkley?
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/10/26/all-pff-team-week-7/

CrazyHorse
10-28-2011, 06:27 AM
It lost it's credibility as soon as I saw Kuper on there.

UnderArmour
10-28-2011, 07:01 AM
It's really not that ridiculous. Keep in mind: This is based ONLY on week 7 performance. PFF has people watch all of the games and evaluates player performance on a week in and week out basis. I actually respect the work that they do even if I do not necessarily agree with all of their evaluations. It's definitely one of the better football sites because they are willing to actually look at every player that steps onto the football field. Reputation is not much of a factor in their weekly evaluations like it is on ESPN/NFL Network, actual on the field performance and whether or not a player drew double teams, etc is looked at.

DallasChief
10-28-2011, 07:05 AM
It's really not that ridiculous. Keep in mind: This is based ONLY on week 7 performance.

So, now Denver just needs to play Miami every week.

UnderArmour
10-28-2011, 07:39 AM
So, now Denver just needs to play Miami every week.

It won't be the worst defense we see the rest of the year. Issue with Miami's D is their secondary, particularly their safeties, and their MLBs. Their D Line is actually pretty good.

Rex
10-28-2011, 10:00 AM

Exactly. A million high fives

Dzone
10-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Kuper is going to be going against Suh on Sunday. We will see how good Kuper is.
Wasnt JD Walton the guy known for shutting down Suh in college?

UnderArmour
10-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Kuper is going to be going against Suh on Sunday. We will see how good Kuper is.
Wasnt JD Walton the guy known for shutting down Suh in college?

Correct. Walton had college success against both Suh and Gerald McCoy in the Big 12, which is why he was the first center taken. Though I'm sure he didn't dominate them, him holding his own was enough for him to have a 3rd round value.

underrated29
10-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Dont know why you guys think Kuper sucks...He is pretty good. He was not good in Jmcd system, but back in the zbs he is pretty solid.

Its the beadle and walton and the rookie that are effing things up.

Bunkley- has been a big time stud for us. Very rarley does he get run on, and he brings down the pocket on a fair few occasions as well. By far my favorite DT we have on our roster.

NightTerror218
10-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Bunkley has done very well for us. I want to keep him around.

Jsteve01
10-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Pouncey was the first center taken

LordTrychon
10-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Yeah, their DTs of the week were Bunkley.... and Mebane.

Would have been awesome to have both... but C'est la vie.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Bunkley has done very well for us. I want to keep him around.

I know, he's a perfect 4-3 NT. He's very dispruptive at the LOS. He usually takes up two blockers and rarely gets moved off the ball. It seems like every game he makes at least one TFL.

dogfish
10-28-2011, 12:06 PM
need to get this guy signed to an extension. . .

NightTerror218
10-28-2011, 12:18 PM
I wonder how our DL would be with Warren next to him (healthy one of course).

rationalfan
10-28-2011, 01:06 PM
i don't think the Dline is as big a problem as some people think. it's, at least, the best it's been in 3-4 years. so much of the negativity about the Dline is inertia, but take note that the team isn't getting gouged by big runs like it used to. there's been significant improvement, and there's room for more, but the continued negativity about the Dline feels overblown IMO.

personally, i'm more concerned about the broncos' pass rush. it's there, sometimes. dumerville has been MIA. and miller has nice stats, but he's not the game changer we thought he was in the preseason. not a good sign when dawkins is a leading pass rusher.

strange to type this, but i feel better about the defense than i do the offense, at this point.

as for kuper, he's quite good. and the Oline is improving quite a bit from week to week. they maul people on running plays while the pass protection is a work in progress.

NightTerror218
10-28-2011, 01:12 PM
i don't think the Dline is as big a problem as some people think. it's, at least, the best it's been in 3-4 years. so much of the negativity about the Dline is inertia, but take note that the team isn't getting gouged by big runs like it used to. there's been significant improvement, and there's room for more, but the continued negativity about the Dline feels overblown IMO.

personally, i'm more concerned about the broncos' pass rush. it's there, sometimes. dumerville has been MIA. and miller has nice stats, but he's not the game changer we thought he was in the preseason. not a good sign when dawkins is a leading pass rusher.

strange to type this, but i feel better about the defense than i do the offense, at this point.

as for kuper, he's quite good. and the Oline is improving quite a bit from week to week. they maul people on running plays while the pass protection is a work in progress.

It is drastically better. Our stats are screwed by oakland. But they have ran big on many teams like the Jets.

Cugel
10-28-2011, 02:15 PM
I wonder how our DL would be with Warren next to him (healthy one of course).

I wouldn't assume he's EVER going to be healthy again, or that he'll ever recover the form he had back in 2008, which was his last healthy season. After 3 straight seasons lost to injury I doubt he'll ever come back like he was.

He will probably be released. If not it will be interesting to see if he's worth $2 million next year.

Cugel
10-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by rationalfan View Post

The defensive coaching staff has done a good job, with the notable exception of the Packers game. They are patching together a decent middle-of-the-road defense from essentially nothing.

But right now the DL and especially the DTs is still a HUGE hole on this team. Their top 2 DTs are on IR for the season and they are razor thin at DT. As long as Thomas and Bunkley stay healthy they can hope to get through the season.

But, don't kid yourself this isn't still the #1 need on the team (next perhaps to QB).

Right now, Bunkley is mediocre. He's decent against the run, which is light-years ahead of any Broncos DT the last 5 years. He can't rush the passer much, but no Broncos DT the last 5 years has had even the slightest hint of a pass rush. So, he's still an improvement there. Overall, he's been solid.

He's not an All-Pro by any stretch of the imagination, but he is doing his job. He's probably in the top 15 to 20 DTs in football right now. Not top 10 but still decent. Given how horrible the Broncos DTs have been for years now that's a nice change.

He's exceeded my generally low expectations for him and proven that he was a good pickup.

As for Mebane, it's clear that nobody had a real chance of signing him away from the Seahawks. He took a MUCH lower contract than he could have had from some other team to stay in Seattle.

NightTerror218
10-28-2011, 02:25 PM
The defensive coaching staff has done a good job, with the notable exception of the Packers game. They are patching together a decent middle-of-the-road defense from essentially nothing.

But right now the DL and especially the DTs is still a HUGE hole on this team. Their top 2 DTs are on IR for the season and they are razor thin at DT. As long as Thomas and Bunkley stay healthy they can hope to get through the season.

But, don't kid yourself this isn't still the #1 need on the team (next perhaps to QB).

Right now, Bunkley is mediocre. He's decent against the run, which is light-years ahead of any Broncos DT the last 5 years. He can't rush the passer much, but no Broncos DT the last 5 years has had even the slightest hint of a pass rush. So, he's still an improvement there. Overall, he's been solid.

He's not an All-Pro by any stretch of the imagination, but he is doing his job. He's probably in the top 15 to 20 DTs in football right now. Not top 10 but still decent. Given how horrible the Broncos DTs have been for years now that's a nice change.

He's exceeded my generally low expectations for him and proven that he was a good pickup.

As for Mebane, it's clear that nobody had a real chance of signing him away from the Seahawks. He took a MUCH lower contract than he could have had from some other team to stay in Seattle.

Still be tooting that horn if he goes to pro bowl?

DenBronx
10-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Bunkley has been the biggest suprise. Hope we can keep him here in Denver long term.

He's been playing better than any rookie DT, including Marcel Darius!

underrated29
10-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Has dareus done anything this season?

Everytime I see the bills on highlights he is the one getting pushed back on the scoring plays it seems? Does he have any sacks or pressures, I wonder how many T and TFLs he has.

dogfish
10-28-2011, 03:04 PM

so far so good, but let's not call it fixed just yet. . . it looked great the first half of '09-- before we ran out of smoke and mirrors. . .

and actually, it doesn't look great yet anyway. . . we're still 29th out of 32 teams in points per game allowed, and 21st in yards per game-- not exactly scintillating stuff. . . our run defense has at least improved to middle of the pack, which feels like progress-- but overall, the results really aren't there yet. . . a second corner that can hold up is probably the most immediate need, but we could still really use a legit pocket-collapsing DT as well. . .

G_Money
10-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Almost all rookie DTs suck. That's why it was important to draft one this year, because there's a 2-3 year delay with most DTs before they become good.

Any rookie DT we take next year likely won't be playing to his max potential til 2014 or 2015.

So yeah, we need a plan B in the meantime. I like Bunkley against the run, and I'm fine with him staying, depending on the price. I agree with Cugel, he's not the best, but he's the best we have, and he's good enough to warrant some cash being thrown his way. I worry about contract year performance, but that's an issue with any free agent DT looking good right now.

Though I have to say, if we could pry Antonio Garay out of SD and play him next to Bunkley, look out. Garay is one NT I would love to see in our 4-3 front.

Too bad that won't happen.

~G

G_Money
10-28-2011, 03:26 PM
so far so good, but let's not call it fixed just yet. . . it looked great the first half of '09-- before we ran out of smoke and mirrors. . .

and actually, it doesn't look great yet anyway. . . we're still 29th out of 32 teams in points per game allowed, and 21st in yards per game-- not exactly scintillating stuff. . . our run defense has at least improved to middle of the pack, which feels like progress-- but overall, the results really aren't there yet. . . a second corner that can hold up is probably the most immediate need, but we could still really use a legit pocket-collapsing DT as well. . .

In a better world, we:

- Re-sign DT Bunkley, cheap-ish
- Pay DT Antonio Garay to leave SD (Because they foolishly do not tag him)
- add Carlos Rogers at CB, cut Goodman (with a box-cutter)
- sign RB Tashard Choice, also cheap-ish, since he's lost favor in Dallas

Draft:
1) OT
2) DT
3) C
4) WR

Go to work with the following:

Offense:
LT Clady
LG Franklin
C Walton or New Draftpick
RG Kuper
RT New Draftpick

WR DT
WR Decker
WR Willis
WR New Draftpick

TE Fells
TE Julius

RB McGahee
RB Choice
RB Moreno

QB Tebow

Defense:
DE Doom
DT Bunkley
DT Garay
DE Ayers

WLB Woodyard
MLB Mays (backed up by Predator, hopefully improved)
SLB Von

CB Champ
CB Rogers
CB Syd
CB Harris (I like him)

SS Dawkins (backed by QC)
SS Moore

God, please let Tebow work out. You like him, right? He's one of Yours?

Make it happen, Yahweh. :coffee:

~G

dogfish
10-28-2011, 03:28 PM
yep, something like that. . .

NightTerror218
10-28-2011, 04:35 PM
In a better world, we:

- Re-sign DT Bunkley, cheap-ish
- Pay DT Antonio Garay to leave SD (Because they foolishly do not tag him)
- add Carlos Rogers at CB, cut Goodman (with a box-cutter)
- sign RB Tashard Choice, also cheap-ish, since he's lost favor in Dallas

Draft:
1) OT
2) DT
3) C
4) WR

Go to work with the following:

Offense:
LT Clady
LG Franklin
C Walton or New Draftpick
RG Kuper
RT New Draftpick

WR DT
WR Decker
WR Willis
WR New Draftpick

TE Fells
TE Julius

RB McGahee
RB Choice
RB Moreno

QB Tebow

Defense:
DE Doom
DT Bunkley
DT Garay
DE Ayers

WLB Woodyard
MLB Mays (backed up by Predator, hopefully improved)
SLB Von

CB Champ
CB Rogers
CB Syd
CB Harris (I like him)

SS Dawkins (backed by QC)
SS Moore

God, please let Tebow work out. You like him, right? He's one of Yours?

Make it happen, Yahweh. :coffee:

~G

Instead of drafting C i am 100% they will draft a RB semi high.

DenBronx
10-28-2011, 04:45 PM
I don't know the stars are aligning for the Broncos to go on a spending frenzy this offseason.

Would rather us get Matt Forte somehow.

WINNING ~ C. Sheen

G_Money
10-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Instead of drafting C i am 100% they will draft a RB semi high.

If we don't add one in FA I expect to draft one in the 2nd or so. We'd replace the DT with the RB there, which would not surprise me at all, since we had drafting DTs. :rolleyes: If we added the DT in FA and decided not to go with a high draftpick on the understudy, and didn't add a RB then one is high on my expectations in the draft too.

But I wouldn't draft one, AND sign Choice (or whomever), AND have McGahee here, AND have Moreno still around on his rookie contract. Willis is on a 4 year contract, remember.

We can always go with a RB high in 2013. It's not a position that requires a lot of lead time to master, and the career is short usually. He'd be ready to start Week One of the 2013 campaign.

We'll see if and how we spend our FA money prior to draft day, though, and that'll make our draft needs much clearer. :beer:

~G

NightTerror218
10-28-2011, 05:07 PM
If we don't add one in FA I expect to draft one in the 2nd or so. We'd replace the DT with the RB there, which would not surprise me at all, since we had drafting DTs. :rolleyes: If we added the DT in FA and decided not to go with a high draftpick on the understudy, and didn't add a RB then one is high on my expectations in the draft too.

But I wouldn't draft one, AND sign Choice (or whomever), AND have McGahee here, AND have Moreno still around on his rookie contract. Willis is on a 4 year contract, remember.

We can always go with a RB high in 2013. It's not a position that requires a lot of lead time to master, and the career is short usually. He'd be ready to start Week One of the 2013 campaign.

We'll see if and how we spend our FA money prior to draft day, though, and that'll make our draft needs much clearer. :beer:

~G

They need to draft some DL at some point. But the problem for a rebuilding team is that DL is never an instant impact so they dont like to draft them.

Cugel
10-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Still be tooting that horn if he goes to pro bowl?

He'd need about 6 sacks to go to the pro-bowl. Do you think he'll get there?

If he suddenly becomes an elite DT NOBODY outside his family would be happier.

I've been a DT guy for the last 10 years! I've been arguing they should draft a DT, hoping they'd find a DT in FA, or trade. So, it'd be beyond great if Bunkley turns his fresh start in Denver into becoming an All-Pro.

I just don't think it's going to happen. He's a big guy who is stout against the run. He's never shown much pass rush ability which is why he got cut from Philly.

NightTerror218
10-28-2011, 06:25 PM
He'd need about 6 sacks to go to the pro-bowl. Do you think he'll get there?

If he suddenly becomes an elite DT NOBODY outside his family would be happier.

I've been a DT guy for the last 10 years! I've been arguing they should draft a DT, hoping they'd find a DT in FA, or trade. So, it'd be beyond great if Bunkley turns his fresh start in Denver into becoming an All-Pro.

I just don't think it's going to happen.

Not all great DT are sackers but got many TFL. I agree we need a DT. But Bunkley is one of the reasons our run defense is at 17 instead of 32.

Cugel
10-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Not all great DT are sackers but got many TFL. I agree we need a DT. But Bunkley is one of the reasons our run defense is at 17 instead of 32.

Oh, agreed.

I never said he was bad at stuffing the run. He's actually decent at that. And since he came to Denver and with the injuries that made him a starter, he's had some good plays against the run.

As for being the #6 pick of the draft as a DT, you can get a big run stuffer in the 2nd or 3rd. You want an elite penetrating pass-rusher. And Bunkley has never been that and is not that now.

He's still better than any Broncos DT they've had in the last few years. And yes Marcus Thomas, that definitely includes you! :coffee:

NightTerror218
10-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Oh, agreed.

I never said he was bad at stuffing the run. He's actually decent at that. And since he came to Denver and with the injuries that made him a starter, he's had some good plays against the run.

As for being the #6 pick of the draft as a DT, you can get a big run stuffer in the 2nd or 3rd. You want an elite penetrating pass-rusher. And Bunkley has never been that and is not that now.

He's still better than any Broncos DT they've had in the last few years. And yes Marcus Thomas, that definitely includes you! :coffee:

With Miller and Doomer I am glad we got a run stuffer since we have lacked since..................wow I went blank that means it has been a long time.

Lancane
10-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Bunkley has been a rather nice surprise I must admit, I'm not sure he's All-Pro material, but I could see him being a constant competent starter for years in Denver and that's more then we can say for any defensive tackle in the last decade or so. It's also surprising that he's been so effective at the nose position, usually someone of his size would struggle to maintain their effectiveness at the position.

However, Denver could effectively improve with almost anyone of some talent playing next to Bunkley. Conventional thinking would suggest that Denver should draft someone more suitable to handle the nose tackle position, a big bodied defensive tackle and kick Bunkley over as a 3-Tech defensive tackle, but IMHO that would be a mistake. As Cugel pointed out, we need someone who is capable to rush the passer, and the cost would be usually a first round draft pick, however, there are those just as capable but not deigned 4-3 defensive tackles...I'm talking about those considered more 3-4 defensive ends and there is your method to madness sort-to-speak. This upcoming draft has several 3-4 defensive ends that could be drafted outside the first round and kicked inside and be just as effective at the position IMHO.

Ryan Van Bergen - Michigan, Jared Crick - Nebraska, Kendall Reyes - Connecticut, Billy Winn - Boise State, Elliot Hennigan - UAB, Mike Daniels - Iowa, Derek Wolfe - Cincinnati, Kheeston Randall - Texas, Patrick Butrym - Wisconsin and J.R. Sweezy - N.C. State.

Joel
10-29-2011, 03:34 AM
Center: Chris Myers, Houston Texans (+3.5)

After a bad (by his standards) display against Baltimore, Myers rebounds with further evidence as to why he is playing better than any center in the league right now.
Not that, as a native Houstonian, I'm at all sad the guy's playing there, but can someone tell me again why we don't still have him in Denver? Whatever Walton did or didn't do against Suh in college, I have a hard time believing Myers wouldn't do at least as well, and understanding why we agreed to pay him $11 million over 4 years then immediately traded him.

As for Bunkley: Opposing runners no longer enter the game staring at a huge gaping hole in the middle of our defensive line, and that makes me very happy. All I ever want from a NT is to draw double teams and hold the middle against the run; if he can collapse the pocket and pick up the occasional sack, great, but if not I won't complain a whole lot. If he's tying up blockers, Thomas or another UT, along with the DEs and LBs, will get sacks.