PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Mike McCoy defends run-heavy offensive game plan with Tim Tebow

Denver Native (Carol)
10-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Also - video on link

Finishing well is one thing Tim Tebow seems to have gotten down in his four career starts at quarterback.

But it is how Tebow and the Broncos offense starts that has been the focus of offensive coordinator Mike McCoy this week.

The Broncos were held scoreless (in part because of two missed field goals) for more than three quarters last week in Tebow's first start of the season.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19207547

Lancane
10-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Mike McCoy shouldn't defend anything he does, because everything he does has been suspect.

He should just shut up and coach and prove himself, but this seems more of an excuse to save face then anything.

nevcraw
10-27-2011, 07:41 PM
hmm.. Thanks coach for blaming ur shit calling on your QB -- How many progressions is Tebow supposed to go through when handing off?
wonder what ball control running attack is going to look like against a pissed off Suh and Co. with 8 in the box and Moreno touching the rock.. awww shitttt...

silkamilkamonico
10-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Mike McCoy shouldn't defend anything he does, because everything he does has been suspect.

He should just shut up and coach and prove himself, but this seems more of an excuse to save face then anything.

Couldn''t agree more. Denver needs to get current and a real OC.

lgenf
10-27-2011, 08:59 PM
McCoy better not worry about Tebows reads and progressions, he better worry about having Ball chip block with the right tackle to watch Tebows blind side

That and he better get the spread variant they were running at the end of the game installed this week to run it for four quarters

Tned
10-27-2011, 09:20 PM
McCoy better not worry about Tebows reads and progressions, he better worry about having Ball chip block with the right tackle to watch Tebows blind side

That and he better get the spread variant they were running at the end of the game installed this week to run it for four quarters

And, Tebow needs to hit the receivers he throws to. There's multiple areas that need to improve from last week, and play calling is only one.

TXBRONC
10-27-2011, 09:26 PM
Like Tned I agree there several areas than need work but imo one of the biggest is Tebow can't be airmailing passes all over the field.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-27-2011, 09:34 PM
And, Tebow needs to hit the receivers he throws to. There's multiple areas that need to improve from last week, and play calling is only one.

Agree - and that is what McCoy said in the article:

"We've got to change some things, maybe the way we approach the beginning of games, but it's all of us in it together — the entire staff, coaches, players, everyone's involved in it — and we've got to do a better job of saying, early on in the game, we have to have more success," McCoy said after practice today.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19207547

JaxBroncoGirl
10-27-2011, 09:43 PM
People here will call me out on this, believe it or not Tebow can throw accurate balls. Let me bring something to everyone here. Most all ready know in your experience that I have a valid point.

We (coaches and team) had 13 days to prepare for Miami (run defense ranked 6th in NFL). We (coaches and team) decide to run 80 percent of the time against a 6th ranked run defense. We as (coaches and team) start a rookie QB with nothing but a run game Great Confidence Builder there McCoy.

This team needs Tebow to learn quickly and we need a better OC.

Do we ask this question? Did McCoy do right by the team or did a rookie QB pull him out of a horrible game plan to a win.

Shit always flows downhill, every company, game or team its always the same. We are talking about an OC that has much more experience than our current QB.

When a team wins it is the teams fault, when they loose it is the coaches fault and we should have lost that game.

Buff
10-27-2011, 09:52 PM
I have a hard time taking all the McCoy criticism seriously.

Tebow improvised and/or completely botched roughly 80% of the pass plays in Miami, including completely panicking on his first attempt, which inspired zero confidence in his coaches right from the start. Now the trendy person to scapegoat is McCoy.

I'm sure he realizes you can't beat most teams with that run-heavy gameplan... He needs to be more imaginative. But the gameplan kept us in the game until late in the 4th against Miami. And it helped get us a victory.

I'm not even saying McCoy is a great OC, but the jury is still out. I'm not going to join the lynch mob just yet.

Lancane
10-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Tebow can throw accurate balls.

His collegiate passing stats are a bit fuddled, there was just as much concern with his accuracy as there was with his mechanics before the draft and obviously it should still be a concern. His numbers at Florida were a bit abstruse, he threw a lot of wobbly or inaccurate passes in college. If I had a hundred dollars for every off kilter throw where the receivers made great adjustments and catches or deflected passes that were caught by his tight ends or receivers, by what seemed sheer luck...I would not be feeling the recession.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-27-2011, 10:09 PM
People here will call me out on this, believe it or not Tebow can throw accurate balls. Let me bring something to everyone here. Most all ready know in your experience that I have a valid point.

We (coaches and team) had 13 days to prepare for Miami (run defense ranked 6th in NFL). We (coaches and team) decide to run 80 percent of the time against a 6th ranked run defense. We as (coaches and team) start a rookie QB with nothing but a run game Great Confidence Builder there McCoy.

Do we ask this question? Did McCoy do right by the team or did a rookie QB pull him out of a horrible game plan to a win.

Shit always flows downhill, every company, game or team its always the same. We are talking about an OC that has much more experience than our current QB.

When a team wins it is the teams fault, when they loose it is the coaches fault and we should have lost that game.

The players did not have 13 days to prepare for Miami. The players were off Mon, and came in Tues/Wed to go over things from the SD game. Per the new CBA, they had 4 consecutive days off - Thurs/Sun. They had 4 days to practice the following week, and flew to Miami on Friday.

Hey - I want TT to succeed as much as anyone, but I can assure you, missing a wide open Eric Decker by a mile, for a sure touchdown, has nothing to do with playcalling, nor did it exhibit TT throwing an accurate ball.

silkamilkamonico
10-27-2011, 10:22 PM

Every NFL QB that has ever been on a roster can "throw accurate balls". They wouldn't get a look by scouts or teams if otherwise.

Can they do it in an environment where they have to read the defense, react, and under insane pressure from the greatest defensive players in the NFL? Well that remains to be seen.

That's a great reason why a lot of QB's flame out, and despite what you may want to argue, Tebow hasn't shown he can do that yet.

NorCalBronco7
10-27-2011, 10:29 PM

Tebow has yet to prove hes even close to being an accurate passer. :lol:

If Miami had the best run defense and worst pass defense in the NFL, Im sure the gameplan wouldnt have be much different, and rightly so. When a team has a young, inexperienced Qb helm, it only makes sense to limit his mistakes and lean on the running game. Your brain is spinning wondering why didnt the Broncos adjust the gameplan to attack Miami's weakness? Its because passing is clearly not the Broncos strength, if not completely abysmal.

Im just as excited about Tebow as you are, if not more. But you have to give him time to get comfortable in this offense and learn the how to be an NFL Qb. Its not going to happen overnight. And blaming McCoy for everything that went wrong when its was a team effort, is disingenuous at best.

TXBRONC
10-27-2011, 10:31 PM

Yes Tebow can throw accurately at times. The problem is he hasn't been very consistent about it.

The types of plays they were fine but may tweaked it by throw a little more early downs. But overall I don't think the game plan was problem it was the execution that hurting them. Some of it was just flat out Tebow missing passes horribly and some of it has to be timing. Tebow and the receiving corps built a lot chemistry just yet.

Canmore
10-27-2011, 10:36 PM
I discussed this with my brother at length and you are not going to convince me that the game plan and play calling did Tebow any favors. It was juvenile at best. :tsk:

NorCalBronco7
10-27-2011, 10:38 PM
I discussed this with my brother at length and you are not going to convince me that the game plan and play calling did Tebow any favors. It was juvenile at best. :tsk:

Explain

WARHORSE
10-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Why even have a QB if youre going to throw five passes in the first half.

What was the offensive gameplan again?:coffee:

Canmore
10-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Explain

How many pass attempts did we have in the first half? Six iirc. That just plain won't get it done. You can't run on every down but third and long and be successful.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-27-2011, 10:55 PM
How many pass attempts did we have in the first half? Six iirc. That just plain won't get it done. You can't run on every down but third and long and be successful.

Can't remember who said it, but one of the local sports people said that one of the problems was that Tebow would take off running a few times, without looking for anything else. Also, some of the sacks was because he held onto the ball too long - how do we not know those were suppose to be passes?

Lancane
10-27-2011, 10:57 PM

Ummm... Give me a physicist, psychologist, a drug addict, someone with down syndrome and the old dude that greets you at Walmart and about a year to boot and I should have an answer for you.

:lol:

Canmore
10-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Can't remember who said it, but one of the local sports people said that one of the problems was that Tebow would take off running a few times, without looking for anything else. Also, some of the sacks was because he held onto the ball too long - how do we not know those were suppose to be passes?

Granted Carol, there was a few more than six pass plays called but all of them were in obvious passing situations. You have to mix it up, even a little. The play calling was atrocious and totally predictable.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-27-2011, 11:05 PM
Granted Carol, there was a few more than six pass plays called but all of them were in obvious passing situations. You have to mix it up, even a little. The play calling was atrocious and totally predictable.

He attempted 27 passes and completed 13 - maybe if he had completed more passes before the comeback, there would have been more called.

Canmore
10-27-2011, 11:09 PM
He attempted 27 passes and completed 13 - maybe if he had completed more passes before the comeback, there would have been more called.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Touche! I'll give you that, but the situations they put Tebow in did not help him or the Broncos. Just a little imagination.

BroncoJoe
10-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Wasn't he 9/13 or something in the 2nd half?

Love how people continue to point to that Decker throw like theyv never seen that before.

Tebow played poorly for sure, but let's see a few starts before making ridiculous claims.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Canmore
10-27-2011, 11:24 PM
Wasn't he 9/13 or something in the 2nd half?

Love how people continue to point to that Decker throw like theyv never seen that before.

Tebow played poorly for sure, but let's see a few starts before making ridiculous claims.

Iirc Tim only threw 6 first half passes and completed 2. If he was 13 of 27 for the game that makes him 11 for 21 in the second half. What were those numbers in the last 5 minutes? Out of this world.

BroncoStud
10-27-2011, 11:25 PM
I was really hoping to read "fired Denver OC Mike McCoy defends run-heavy gameplan"... McCoy is a joke. He's one of the worst playcallers I've ever seen at the NFL level.

Get rid of the bum so we can have a legit offense.

BeefStew25
10-27-2011, 11:26 PM
4th NFL start. We will see plenty before a decision is made.

Tned
10-27-2011, 11:51 PM
He was far less accurate in Miami than any of his three games last year, far less. Last year, McCoy ran a VERY conservative game plan the first week, and then slowly started opening it up. Maybe we will see the same thing over the next few games. Part of that will require Tebow to make the throws, however.

Tned
10-27-2011, 11:54 PM

True, but the flip side is that maybe if 9 or his first 10 attempts weren't 2nd/3rd and long (7 2nd/3rd and 10+) that resulted in heavy pass rushes and blitzes, he might have completed more.

I didn't like his accuracy, but we can't completely discount the fact that in the first five plus series, they had him throwing almost exclusively in obvious passing downs and against heavy pass rushes.

Canmore
10-27-2011, 11:57 PM
He was far less accurate in Miami than any of his three games last year, far less. Last year, McCoy ran a VERY conservative game plan the first week, and then slowly started opening it up. Maybe we will see the same thing over the next few games. Part of that will require Tebow to make the throws, however.

Tebow's accuracy was as atrocious as the play calling. Still, I'll stand by my statements that McCoy did little to help him out. They need to open up the play calling. Who are we going to lean on this week if it's not Tim? Moreno?

Canmore
10-28-2011, 12:01 AM
True, but the flip side is that maybe if 9 or his first 10 attempts weren't 2nd/3rd and long (7 2nd/3rd and 10+) that resulted in heavy pass rushes and blitzes, he might have completed more.

I didn't like his accuracy, but we can't completely discount the fact that in the first five plus series, they had him throwing almost exclusively in obvious passing downs and against heavy pass rushes.

My point exactly. How many first down passes did we attempt? I'm not counting the final two drives in regulation. If we repeat this game against Detroit it is going to be ugly.

rcsodak
10-28-2011, 07:24 AM
When a QB can't read a blitz or see it coming from 9yds behind the LOS, said QB is going to spend alot of time on said backside.
Against Suh? He best wear his flak jacket and concussion helmet.

rcsodak
10-28-2011, 07:26 AM

Shanny wanted jake avg'g 25passes per game.
If he were still HC, TT would be lucky to get 5ppg.

Juriga72
10-28-2011, 07:28 AM
Hey... At least Tebow hasn't thrown any Orton's yet this year...:)

rcsodak
10-28-2011, 07:33 AM
Tebow's accuracy was as atrocious as the play calling. Still, I'll stand by my statements that McCoy did little to help him out. They need to open up the play calling. Who are we going to lean on this week if it's not Tim? Moreno?

Limiting his throws ALSO limited his mistakes. Yes?
The last thing they wanted was for him to throw pik6's.

I laugh when I read some posters....

....EVERYBODY knew Fox was a run 1st guy and conservative game planner.

But somehow y'all expect the leopard to change its spots under a 2nd yr qb with throwing issues? Seriously? :lol:

Juriga72
10-28-2011, 07:35 AM

But somehow y'all expect the leopard to change its spots under a 6th yr qb with throwing issues? Seriously? :lol:

Fixed it for you...TIA

BroncoJoe
10-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Iirc Tim only threw 6 first half passes and completed 2. If he was 13 of 27 for the game that makes him 11 for 21 in the second half. What were those numbers in the last 5 minutes? Out of this world.

4th quarter stats were 9/13, 121 yards and a TD.

TXBRONC
10-28-2011, 08:22 AM

That's not a fair imho criticism because some of that was Tebow running on what was suppose to be a pass play.

Jagsbch
10-28-2011, 08:22 AM
hmm.. Thanks coach for blaming ur shit calling on your QB -- How many progressions is Tebow supposed to go through when handing off?
wonder what ball control running attack is going to look like against a pissed off Suh and Co. with 8 in the box and Moreno touching the rock.. awww shitttt...

WTF? I love the scapegoating antics... I also love this quote, he is not just blaming Tebow, he is blaming Fox and Elway from what I surmise in this quote...

"We've got to change some things, maybe the way we approach the beginning of games, but it's all of us in it together — the entire staff, coaches, players, everyone's involved in it — and we've got to do a better job of saying, early on in the game, we have to have more success," McCoy said after practice today.

TXBRONC
10-28-2011, 08:29 AM

I think plan in and of itself was a good part of the problem was probably the sequence. OTOH what I've heard consistently in the local media was that those two dropped interception was also a part of the reason for sequencing of the plays.

HammeredOut
10-28-2011, 10:09 AM

Ya, 0-10 in Third down conversions with 4 mins left in the game. That is horrible.. All the under thrown balls, and less then 50% completion, I thought I was watching bad beer league.

That was definitely a win for the defense last week.

Is that you Joey Harrington?? Under Thrown Balls, and can't complete a 3rd down..

arapaho2
10-28-2011, 10:46 AM

Tebow improvised and/or completely botched roughly 80% of the pass plays in Miami, including completely panicking on his first attempt, which inspired zero confidence in his coaches right from the start. Now the trendy person to scapegoat is McCoy.

I'm sure he realizes you can't beat most teams with that run-heavy gameplan... He needs to be more imaginative. But the gameplan kept us in the game until late in the 4th against Miami. And it helped get us a victory.

I'm not even saying McCoy is a great OC, but the jury is still out. I'm not going to join the lynch mob just yet.

yet you must not forget this offense struggled and was horrible with a pocket passer.....we went from 13th total offense in 2010 with mcd calling the majority of plays, to 25th with mccoy this year

and i wouldnt hesitate to say thats with a better oline and run game

whether tebow was inaccurate, and he was...you cant call a rushing play on 13 straight 1st down plays and a rushing play on the majority of 2nd downs and expect the defense not to tee off on the qb on third knowing its probably a pass....and expect great results

arapaho2
10-28-2011, 10:49 AM
That's not a fair imho criticism because some of that was Tebow running on what was suppose to be a pass play.

and thats not a fair criticism of tebow when alot of those were because....the all out pass rush afforded him no time to let the wrs get open

silkamilkamonico
10-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Tebow needs to become much better at going through his progressions. I think at this point still he is not even on a level where an NFL starter should be.

HammeredOut
10-28-2011, 11:30 AM
yet you must not forget this offense struggled and was horrible with a pocket passer.....we went from 13th total offense in 2010 with mcd calling the majority of plays, to 25th with mccoy this year

and i wouldnt hesitate to say thats with a better oline and run game

whether tebow was inaccurate, and he was...you cant call a rushing play on 13 straight 1st down plays and a rushing play on the majority of 2nd downs and expect the defense not to tee off on the qb on third knowing its probably a pass....and expect great results

You could chance it and put the ball in Tebows hands first and 2nd down to make a play. But you have to account that Tebow gets sacked once every 4 snaps. This is the worst ratio in the league. We could be sitting 3rd and 4, instead of 3rd and 15. Thats just how much Tebow goes down.

Tebow gets sacked more then a vegas show girl at a vegas chicken farm.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-28-2011, 11:45 AM
WTF? I love the scapegoating antics... I also love this quote, he is not just blaming Tebow, he is blaming Fox and Elway from what I surmise in this quote...

From what you surmise in this quote is NOTHING more than your unwarranted hate of #7. John is NOT on the coaching staff, John is on the executive staff, NOT the football staff. While you at it - why don't you blame Joe Ellis, and Elaine Woodworth - Executive Assistant to President, who is Ellis' Executive Assistant - would make as much sense as you blaming #7.

Please check out the following link - there may be more you would like to blame besides #7 - how about Teresa Shear - Director of Cheerleaders and Game Day Entertainment

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/staff-directory.html

Tned
10-28-2011, 12:03 PM

That's ridiculous. You need to go back to "surmising" class if that's what you got out of it.

Tebow needs to become much better at going through his progressions. I think at this point still he is not even on a level where an NFL starter should be.

No, he needs to be more accurate in his passing. If he was accurate, he could get by with one read and the check down to a running back, take off running or throw the ball away. Shit, Orton almost always stayed locked on his primary receiver. Tebow's NUMBER ONE issue in Miami was very, very badly thrown balls.

silkamilkamonico
10-28-2011, 12:13 PM
No, he needs to be more accurate in his passing. If he was accurate, he could get by with one read and the check down to a running back, take off running or throw the ball away. Shit, Orton almost always stayed locked on his primary receiver. Tebow's NUMBER ONE issue in Miami was very, very badly thrown balls.

Yes, not only does he need to be more accurate with passing, but he needs to learn to read his progressions faster, and more clearly. The rules of the NFL cater to QB's who can go through their entire progressions clearly and effectively. Tebow needs to start working on that now. If we're stuck with a QB that is at a level where he needs to learn how to throw accurately, then this god forbidden organization is worse off then the cover shows.

Tebow will be given time to develop, but he better start speeding up his passing. Absolutely no progression from the games last year to this year certainly doesn't help. It's like the guy didn't even play last year in terms of his passing.

arapaho2
10-28-2011, 12:33 PM
You could chance it and put the ball in Tebows hands first and 2nd down to make a play. But you have to account that Tebow gets sacked once every 4 snaps. This is the worst ratio in the league. We could be sitting 3rd and 4, instead of 3rd and 15. Thats just how much Tebow goes down.

Tebow gets sacked more then a vegas show girl at a vegas chicken farm.

did you even watch the game?...tebow was sacked on 3rd down 4 of the six sacks...he was sacked on first down twice

also every forth play is either an childish uninformed guess...or a lie

he was sacked 6 times....we ran 76 offensive plays not counting punts...thats about a sack per 12.6 plays

coincedentally in ortons first start this season he was sacked 5 times or once every 11.8 plays ran

Tned
10-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Yes, not only does he need to be more accurate with passing, but he needs to learn to read his progressions faster, and more clearly. The rules of the NFL cater to QB's who can go through their entire progressions clearly and effectively. Tebow needs to start working on that now. If we're stuck with a QB that is at a level where he needs to learn how to throw accurately, then this god forbidden organization is worse off then the cover shows.

Tebow will be given time to develop, but he better start speeding up his passing. Absolutely no progression from the games last year to this year certainly doesn't help. It's like the guy didn't even play last year in terms of his passing.

Actually, I forgot, you publicly renounced your Broncos fanship a while back, so I'll just move on to discussing the Broncos with other Broncos fans.

NightTerror218
10-28-2011, 12:40 PM

I dont care what he looks like mechanic wise or form wise but if he could get the ball out quicker and throw more accurately then awesome. If not then we need to look past him to the draft. He is not going to get it done in the NFL with the game he had last week. He needs to stop thinking about how his throws look, but just make a quicker release. If we win ever game in the last 3 minutes of the 4th quarter I am going to be out of hair on my head.

BigDaddyBronco
10-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Actually, I forgot, you publicly renounced your Broncos fanship a while back, so I'll just move on to discussing the Broncos with other Broncos fans.

Careful, he'll question your football intelligence....

G_Money
10-28-2011, 12:53 PM
McCoy needs to shut his face and sack up.

Tebow was not good on the early passing plays, but neither were you, McCoy. It ALL needs work.

~G

BigDaddyBronco
10-28-2011, 12:54 PM

Tebow was not good on the early passing plays, but neither were you, McCoy. It ALL needs work.

~G
Yea, I hate that he is trying to position himself for the eventual fallout. Be an effin professional and do your job.

NightTerror218
10-28-2011, 12:55 PM

~G

But But But the run was working. McCoys intelligence shows that if the run is working he might as well it 100% of the time, the same with passing. He learned that from McD.

Tned
10-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Careful, he'll question your football intelligence....

I only worry about that criticism from other Broncos fans...

Canmore
10-28-2011, 12:58 PM

But somehow y'all expect the leopard to change its spots under a 2nd yr qb with throwing issues? Seriously? :lol:

Maybe we could try a little camouflage like the Siberian Tiger uses without changing our stripes. :D

T.K.O.
10-28-2011, 02:01 PM
I hope everyone is ready for another "run heavy" gameplan.
Tebow showed some great heart and will to win and even made some impressive throws late....BUT,
Detroit has the 9th ranked pass D and the 28th ranked run D....i expect McCoy will be leaning on the run again.
hopefully Moreno will be up to the task:salute:

Canmore
10-28-2011, 03:36 PM
I hope everyone is ready for another "run heavy" gameplan.
Tebow showed some great heart and will to win and even made some impressive throws late....BUT,
Detroit has the 9th ranked pass D and the 28th ranked run D....i expect McCoy will be leaning on the run again.
hopefully Moreno will be up to the task:salute:

I don't think for a moment that we aren't going to run the ball and a lot. McGahee being out is a huge blow. We can't just run on first and second down and then throw on third. The play calling has to have some imagination to it. We can't line up and telegraph what we are doing or we are going to see another ugly game. Moreno has to bring something to the table. Being one dimensional in this league is the recipe all defenses are looking for. Detroit must be kept off balance. Detroit's run defense is suspect and Stafford is not healthy, we need to take advantage of both.

catfish
10-28-2011, 04:21 PM
from what it looked like to me Tebow almost threw that first pick 6 he saw his career flash before his eyes and started to play "not to get benched" football. I think McCoy could tell Tebow wasn't comfortable and tried to take the load off him as much as possible, whther it backfired by putting him in tougher passing situation I cant say. I really can't knock the play calling too bad from the portion I saw. (could only watch the first half, game not televised locally)

Ravage!!!
10-28-2011, 04:33 PM

EXACTLY. How can people expect us to call MORE pass plays when the ones that were called either led to sack, incompletion, or a misread? The coaches aren't blind. They can see that the QB isn't getting rid of the ball. 27 Pass plays called. How many do people expect the OC to call in a single game? We were 0-10 3rd down conversions. That leads to a game-plan of playing field position with punts and counting on your defense.

NightTerror218
10-28-2011, 04:36 PM
EXACTLY. How can people expect us to call MORE pass plays when the ones that were called either led to sack, incompletion, or a misread? The coaches aren't blind. They can see that the QB isn't getting rid of the ball. 27 Pass plays called. How many do people expect the OC to call in a single game? We were 0-10 3rd down conversions. That leads to a game-plan of playing field position with punts and counting on your defense.

Because on the final two drives he went 9/13 with two TDs.

catfish
10-28-2011, 04:46 PM

I wouldn't be suprised to see them open the first drive with passing, keep the defense off the line and help open the run game. Plus noone sees it coming so they could gash them deep early.

Ravage!!!
10-28-2011, 04:48 PM

Thats just great. He completely FAILS for 57 of 60 minutes and we should CHEER because he was awful the entire game before? The OC, in the meantime, could only DEAL with what was going on during the game... right? Tebow couldn't hit the broadside of a barn for the first 95% of the game, what do you think he's going to do...ignore the given facts based purely on "hope" that Tebow finally can find the target?? :confused:

The LAST thing the offense needed to do was to try MORE passes when all Tebow was accomplishing was getting sacked, or missing targets.

The OC was smart for not letting him pass the ball in OT because of the fear of the 7th-8th sack of the game. THat would have put us out of the FG range.

NightTerror218
10-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Thats just great. He completely FAILS for 57 of 60 minutes and we should CHEER because he was awful the entire game before? The OC, in the meantime, could only DEAL with what was going on during the game... right? Tebow couldn't hit the broadside of a barn for the first 95% of the game, what do you think he's going to do...ignore the given facts based purely on "hope" that Tebow finally can find the target?? :confused:

The LAST thing the offense needed to do was to try MORE passes when all Tebow was accomplishing was getting sacked, or missing targets.

The OC was smart for not letting him pass the ball in OT because of the fear of the 7th-8th sack of the game. THat would have put us out of the FG range.

That is your opinion. Ever play sports? I have played many and QB makes me think of basketball. Sometimes you are just off, sometimes you suck. But juts because you cant make anything doesn't mean you stop shooting. He threw 8 times in 1 half. Why even play a QB, might as well have 3 RBs back there.

I used basketball because its the other sport that you have to get into a rhythm and can either on fire or cold.

Since you hate Tebow so much do you even watch the games? Thank you for informing me that getting sacked has nothing to do with the OL it is all on the QB.

NightTerror218
10-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Ravage since you love attacking my posts and telling me just how wrong i am. You should start a blog so you can just tell me how it is and I dont have to waste me time typing.

Canmore
10-28-2011, 05:16 PM

Usually we see pretty much eye to eye but not here. Tebow was awful for three and a half quarters but I just don't feel McCoy was putting him in any positions to be successful. Obvious passing situations against a team with their ears pinned back did little to help him out. All quarterbacks need a rhythm, and Tebow clearly wasn't into one. Maybe he could have used a little help.

This week against Detroit should be telling in a lot of different ways. Hopefully Tim is more on with his accuracy and reads and McCoy uses a little imagination with him and the offense. McGahee being out is a real downer.

catfish
10-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Usually we see pretty much eye to eye but not here. Tebow was awful for three and a half quarters but I just don't feel McCoy was putting him in any positions to be successful. Obvious passing situations against a team with their ears pinned back did little to help him out. All quarterbacks need a rhythm, and Tebow clearly wasn't into one. Maybe he could have used a little help.

This week against Detroit should be telling in a lot of different ways. Hopefully Tim is more on with his accuracy and reads and McCoy uses a little imagination with him and the offense. McGahee being out is a real downer.

again the game wasnt televised in my area, but looking at the play by play it appears the majority of the pass attempts came in the 4th quarter after Tebow had overshot the barn on several occasions. The whole play by play reads "coach trying to protect inexperienced QB" followed by "screw it the game is out of reach anyway so a turnover doesn't matter let him throw it"

Canmore
10-28-2011, 05:48 PM
again the game wasnt televised in my area, but looking at the play by play it appears the majority of the pass attempts came in the 4th quarter after Tebow had overshot the barn on several occasions. The whole play by play reads "coach trying to protect inexperienced QB" followed by "screw it the game is out of reach anyway so a turnover doesn't matter let him throw it"

I need to re-watch it, but I think you have a fair assessment of the game. I felt that "protecting" Tebow was playing into the Dolphins hands. Tebow was awful until crunch time but I could predict the play calling. I know Miami could. Tebow has got to hit the hot reads. He took way to many sacks. He really couldn't have played worse for three and a half quarters. I'll take that back, he could have turned the ball over which he didn't. Still, mixing up the run and the pass may have settled Tebow down. I hope that the game plan is designed to get Tebow into a rhythm. I don't have high hopes for Moreno and Ball.

catfish
10-28-2011, 05:54 PM
I need to re-watch it, but I think you have a fair assessment of the game. I felt that "protecting" Tebow was playing into the Dolphins hands. Tebow was awful until crunch time but I could predict the play calling. I know Miami could. Tebow has got to hit the hot reads. He took way to many sacks. He really couldn't have played worse for three and a half quarters. I'll take that back, he could have turned the ball over which he didn't. Still, mixing up the run and the pass may have settled Tebow down. I hope that the game plan is designed to get Tebow into a rhythm. I don't have high hopes for Moreno and Ball.

from what I recall from watching Knowshon in college he seemed less than effective up the gut, but was nasty in open space, he might rip a huge one on a screen if you can get the defense headed the opposite direction (and if it isn't three rows deep, to pre-empt ravage)

NightTerror218
10-28-2011, 05:56 PM
from what I recall from watching Knowshon in college he seemed less than effective up the gut, but was nasty in open space, he might rip a huge one on a screen if you can get the defense headed the opposite direction (and if it isn't three rows deep, to pre-empt ravage)

That is just like LaMichael James for Oregon Ducks. He is great around the edge when he gets into open space, not an up the gut runner.

Cugel
10-28-2011, 06:15 PM

McCoy had a LOT more pass plays scripted than Tebow ran. You have to add all the times Tebow ran on designed pass plays, and add 7 sacks. That's about 15 more INTENDED pass plays than shows up in the box score!

It's not McCoy's fault that Tebow just held the ball too long so he got sacked, and missed wide open WRs by ten yards and took off and ran a bunch of times on intended pass plays. :coffee:

NightTerror218
10-28-2011, 06:23 PM
McCoy had a LOT more pass plays scripted than Tebow ran. You have to add all the times Tebow ran on designed pass plays, and add 7 sacks. That's about 15 more INTENDED pass plays than shows up in the box score!

It's not McCoy's fault that Tebow just held the ball too long so he got sacked, and missed wide open WRs by ten yards and took off and ran a bunch of times on intended pass plays. :coffee:

So he was at 10 at halftime and 15 end of 3rd? Still not very many. Not to mention a lot of passing plays were 3rd and long.

Ravage!!!
10-29-2011, 12:35 PM
That is your opinion. Ever play sports? I have played many and QB makes me think of basketball. Sometimes you are just off, sometimes you suck. But juts because you cant make anything doesn't mean you stop shooting. He threw 8 times in 1 half. Why even play a QB, might as well have 3 RBs back there.
Yes.. played a TON of sports, probably much more than you.

The problem with your example is that it depends on what the coaches know of you prior to that game you were "off." There is a reason people don't think Tebow is a good passer. There is a reason people didn't rate him as a good passer coming out of college. There is a reason that people said Tebow looked AWFUL in practices, and there is a reason that Orton beat him out of the job to begin with. IT's because the coaches know that Tebow is NOT AN ACCURATE thrower. So if you already know this, have seen this, and are pretty confident in how he normally throws.... why would you expect the coaches to ignore their prior knowledge? You think any basketball coach is going to let the bad shooter shoot more often? You think that if the bad shooter is having a bad day, they will just say "go ahead and shoot more, you'll find your rythme?" Uhmmm. no.

Since you hate Tebow so much do you even watch the games? Thank you for informing me that getting sacked has nothing to do with the OL it is all on the QB.

Lame. If you are going to follow me around and attempt to attack every one of my posts... then at least do better than this.

Please, don't pull this childish "why do you watch him" CRAP. I'm not watching my Broncos to watch HIM... I'm watching my Broncos play and he just happens to be the QB. Here's a clue, I watched the Broncos before he was here, and will watch them when he's gone.

I don't "hate" Tebow. I'm MAJORLY DISAPPOINTED in Tebow. He came into camps this year looking BAD. He didn't take the time to work with real coaches and work on his game. The guy that supposedly will "work harder than anyone"...got outworked by Cam Newton... BIG TIME. Then, after hoping he would start over Orton, and finally having him start against the worst team in the NFL, he comes in and lays an egg. He looked horrible.

I'm not comparing him to "Manning." I'm comparing him to the other rookies that have started this year. Ponder had his first start against the defending Super Bowl Champions, on a 1-5 team... and looked pretty damn good. We played against the horrendous Miami Dolphins, and Tebow looked like that???

I don't hate Tebow the person. But I certainly do hate the way Tebow the QB played on Sunday.

Nomad
10-29-2011, 12:37 PM
GO TEBOW!:werd::lol:

Az Snake
10-29-2011, 07:34 PM
GO TEBOW!:werd::lol:

rCLD5o5N674

dogfish
10-29-2011, 07:53 PM
rCLD5o5N674

that's brilliant. . . :D

i'm still laughing after watching it a second time-- i may have to play it again. . .

Ravage!!!
10-29-2011, 08:09 PM
rCLD5o5N674

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

rcsodak
10-30-2011, 12:42 AM
did you even watch the game?...tebow was sacked on 3rd down 4 of the six sacks...he was sacked on first down twice

also every forth play is either an childish uninformed guess...or a lie

he was sacked 6 times....we ran 76 offensive plays not counting punts...thats about a sack per 12.6 plays

coincedentally in ortons first start this season he was sacked 5 times or once every 11.8 plays ran
Rap, sacks only happen in passing plays. Wth are you talking about?! :lol:

rcsodak
10-30-2011, 12:48 AM
I don't think for a moment that we aren't going to run the ball and a lot. McGahee being out is a huge blow. We can't just run on first and second down and then throw on third. The play calling has to have some imagination to it. We can't line up and telegraph what we are doing or we are going to see another ugly game. Moreno has to bring something to the table. Being one dimensional in this league is the recipe all defenses are looking for. Detroit must be kept off balance. Detroit's run defense is suspect and Stafford is not healthy, we need to take advantage of both.
Take 1 or 2 big runs away and they're not as bad as you think.

Canmore
10-30-2011, 01:01 AM
Take 1 or 2 big runs away and they're not as bad as you think.

I don't for a second think they are bad, but they give up plays. Knowshon toting the rock doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Still, with a decent game plan and some execution we can be in this game. Stafford is playing on a bad ankle and has a history of injury problems. If he doesn't last the game...

Locnar
10-30-2011, 01:51 AM
Would it kill for a little imagination though? Maybe a hook and ladder play here and there..

Canmore
10-30-2011, 01:58 AM
Would it kill for a little imagination though? Maybe a hook and ladder play here and there..

A little imagination would be an improvement. I don't know about the gadget plays but we can't just run, run, pass and punt all game and than hope Tebow will bail us out in the fourth quarter.