PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' spin control important for left-handed Tim Tebow

Denver Native (Carol)
10-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Interesting article:

Today's question about the Broncos comes from Robert DeLaney in Rolla, Mo.

Q: How much of a transition will there be for the Broncos at the skill-position players catching passes with the football being spun counterclockwise from the left-handed Tim Tebow now at quarterback? I've caught a few passes from a lefty before, and there is a difference. Your thoughts?

A: Robert, it is different for many receivers, because the list of left-handed quarterbacks simply isn't very long. Receivers could go their entire football lives without playing alongside a left-hander.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19183941

jlarsiii
10-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Nothing new. This is not the first time it has been stated that catching balls from a lefty is different. It is interesting that they say the run game changes, and they weren't talking about hand-offs from a lefty.

NightTerror218
10-27-2011, 02:41 PM
I have heard also that the ball can comes in at a slightly different angle too.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-27-2011, 02:51 PM
There are times when this discussion annoys me, so I'll try to keep it civil. :D

I'm left handed and played QB in junior high, but didn't play football in high school due to a few moves. My son is the starting QB for the middle school here in Meridian, ID. We are both left handed, so I can speak about this discussion with plenty of experience.

It does take a while to get use to the ball coming from the other side of the passer, but not long at all. If a receiver has decent hands he should catch it either way. If a receiver doesn't catch a ball that hits him in the hands, that's on him, not the rotation of the ball.

So, essentially what I'm saying is, the rotation shouldn't make a difference if it hits you in the hands. Secondly, the angle of the throw might take getting use to, but not much different than getting use to catching balls from a new QB altogether.

Essentially, this issue (usually from people that have never played with a lefty, or played at all for that matter) is entirely overblown.

My son completed 2 TD passes last night, by the way. :D
He had 150 yards passing, 67 yards rushing, and a rushing TD to go along with his 2 passing TD's. He also had a 35 yard reception on a fake punt.

Defensively, he had 1 sack, 5 total tackles, two of which went for a loss. When I figure out how to get the videos uploaded to youtube I'll provide a link.

TT15Superman
10-27-2011, 03:01 PM
So, is this issue different in Australia? :D

Eddie Royal says that it's different, but not an issue. "We're all professional athletes" basically.

slim
10-27-2011, 03:02 PM
I like to go lefty once in a while....kind of mix things up.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-27-2011, 03:08 PM
So, is this issue different in Australia? :D

Eddie Royal says that it's different, but not an issue. "We're all professional athletes" basically.

Yes, much the same way the toilets flush in the opposite direction. :laugh:

Jsteve01
10-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Didn't seem to affect Steve Young's receivers did it?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-27-2011, 04:27 PM

You mean the guy with the single season QB rating record? :laugh:

Juriga72
10-27-2011, 04:35 PM

No.. the guy who played in Tampa

CrazyHorse
10-27-2011, 05:27 PM

Peyton Manning?

Locnar
10-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Luckily the ball doesn't really spin when Tebow throws.. More of a wobble..

rcsodak
10-27-2011, 08:18 PM
Luckily the ball doesn't really spin when Tebow throws.. More of a wobble..
Hahaha......key point!

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Lancane
10-27-2011, 08:27 PM

Yeah, it only took seven seasons for him to look like a quality quarterback, the same for Vick. So the standard to being a good left-handed quarterback in the modern era of football is to struggle for about five or six seasons, sit behind a quality starter and then boom! Not to mention they both had to go to different teams under better coaches...

Not so promising IMHO!

nevcraw
10-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Yeah, it only took seven seasons for him to look like a quality quarterback, the same for Vick. So the standard to being a good left-handed quarterback in the modern era of football is to struggle for about five or six seasons, sit behind a quality starter and then boom! Not to mention they both had to go to different teams under better coaches...

Not so promising IMHO!

It's been 7 yrs. since the Broncos were in the playoffs.. Would you wait 7 more if meant a super bowl champion? Also - young was sitting behind the second best QB of all time for a bunch of yrs - and shined when called on -- not the same thing as not ready..

Lancane
10-27-2011, 09:06 PM
It's been 7 yrs. since the Broncos were in the playoffs.. Would you wait 7 more if meant a super bowl champion? Also - young was sitting behind the second best QB of all time for a bunch of yrs - and shined when called on -- not the same thing as not ready..

Steve Young was atrocious in Tampa Bay, and his numbers in relieving Montana were just as bad, it was nearly five seasons in when he started to show some promise and better accuracy in the passing game, before then he was barely completing more then 50% of his passes. A lot of people felt he was ready to start around the 1990 season, so his sixth season in the league. So the point still stands Nev, unless you got definitive proof otherwise?