PDA

View Full Version : Where will Shanny coach next???

Crush05
12-31-2008, 09:29 PM
So here it is a little poll to see what we are all thinking!!!

CrazyHorse
12-31-2008, 09:34 PM
Dallas.
There should have been more options NY, Detroit, Cleveland.

UnderArmour
12-31-2008, 09:36 PM
It really depends. At this point there is no telling. We'll see what next year holds for new developments. All 3 teams you named have head coaches.

Crush05
12-31-2008, 09:41 PM
Dallas.
There should have been more options NY, Detroit, Cleveland.

I also put other and asked for you to post a reply as for what to that would be!!

Crush05
12-31-2008, 09:42 PM
It really depends. At this point there is no telling. We'll see what next year holds for new developments. All 3 teams you named have head coaches.

Well IMO once again lol I feel Wade is on the chopping block even Jerry says he is safe! And in the wild wild west you never know! Lastly I did put other so you could state your case!!!

SmilinAssasSin27
12-31-2008, 09:49 PM
Detroit.

WARHORSE
12-31-2008, 09:53 PM
Detroit perhaps.

No where to go but up.

Got two number one draft picks, two number threes and couple extras.

Got a killer WR, and a decent defense if you can get em off the field.

He could only look damn smart there, and he could bring in whomever he wanted.

He would win in Dallas.

No where to go but up in KC.

He would take Rivers and LT to the superbowl.

Slick
12-31-2008, 09:54 PM
Who's to say? I have no clue. I do know that if I were a team owner, I'd hire him. I wouldn't give him keys to the safe, but I'd hire him in a NY minute.;)

Magnificent Seven
12-31-2008, 09:55 PM
Eric Mangini will probably take a coach job at Cleveland.

BroncoWave
12-31-2008, 10:42 PM
I think he has Dallas written all over him. And after seeing his press conference, I don't think there's any way in the world he goes to KC or SD.

MOtorboat
12-31-2008, 10:50 PM
Shanahan will take a year off, so speculating now is a little rough. I imagine Kansas City is a possibility, but most likely an NFC team, and probably a mid-market team like Minnesota.

He'll coach again, but I expect it to be in a place none of us expect.

Tned
12-31-2008, 10:50 PM
I think he has Dallas written all over him. And after seeing his press conference, I don't think there's any way in the world he goes to KC or SD.

I don't think he would turn down any job, just because they are Broncos rivals. Business is business. That's the very reason he understands why Bowlen made his decision. My guess is that Oakland is the only franchise that would be off his list.

Now, he might not want to go to some franchises, because of the owner or state they are in, but I don't think he would pass on SD or KC, just because they are in the AFCW.

Rick
12-31-2008, 11:10 PM
I am thinking college.

he hinted in the past, wasn't it before taking a contract extension that he almost went to coach in one of the florida colleges?

ikillz0mbies
12-31-2008, 11:16 PM
Tampa Bay Buccaneers. JMO.

underrated29
12-31-2008, 11:26 PM
well he said he wouldnt go in the afcw, but who knows.

I personally feel, cle,dal,det are the most likely scenarios, with the jets being a long shot.

You know what i just realized. We are no longer going to be ripping teams off in trades.

If he lands somehwere else, we now have to worry about him ripping us off in trades. We all know he is a mastermind trader too- just another bad thing about this whole situation.

I really hope he goes college, so we dont have to worry about him.

Tned
12-31-2008, 11:30 PM

I personally feel, cle,dal,det are the most likely scenarios, with the jets being a long shot.

You know what i just realized. We are no longer going to be ripping teams off in trades.

If he lands somehwere else, we now have to worry about him ripping us off in trades. We all know he is a mastermind trader too- just another bad thing about this whole situation.

I really hope he goes college, so we dont have to worry about him.

Ok, I guess I missed that. When did he say he wouldn't go to the AFCW? You're saying he said that in his press conference?

Tned
12-31-2008, 11:33 PM

I just checked the transcript:

On if he could coach in the AFC West

"I don't know. I have a sign on me—I'm looking for a job, I don't know. We'll see what happens."

Northman
12-31-2008, 11:40 PM
Shanny sort of eluded to not staying in the AFC West so i think SD and KC are out although he could very well go to one of those places. But, i think Dallas or even more the NY Jets are bigger possibilities. I dont think he really wants to start from scratch with the Lions so at least with the Jets he has some of the pieces already there.

Greatspirits
01-01-2009, 01:16 AM

God Hope not in Kanasas City! That would make me sick!! He should take a year off, recharge his batteries, and he'll have his choice in 2010.

roomemp
01-01-2009, 01:21 AM
I voted for Dallas. My gut tells me Detroit. He wil have the #1 overall pick in the draft. Besides, he will be reunited with George Foster : ) Just kidding. Happy 2009 Shanny. A Broncos legend.

Shazam!
01-01-2009, 01:42 AM
Seattle and St. Loo are possibilities too. Surprised they weren't mentioned.

sneakers
01-01-2009, 02:28 AM
I picked Dallas because Mike Shanahan replaced Wade Phillips in Denver...so it's only natural that he would replace him in Dallas.

BroncoWave
01-01-2009, 02:37 AM
Seattle and St. Loo are possibilities too. Surprised they weren't mentioned.

I don't think he's want to go to a team in rebuilding mode. He just got out of that in Denver. I think he wants to go somewhere that's in a position to win now.

Superchop 7
01-01-2009, 02:45 AM
Daniel Snyder wants a championship.

Think about it.

Ziggy
01-01-2009, 09:04 AM
I don't think Dallas is a possibility. Jerry Jones isn't going to give up personnel power, and Shanny isn't taking a job where he doesn't have personnel power. I'm going to come out of left field and say he goes to the Texans or Niners after next season.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2009, 09:27 AM
I think Shanny wants to win, but I also think he'd wanna make a team his own. Seattler and St. Louis are nice calls...but I still say Detroit.

dogfish
01-01-2009, 10:56 AM
dallas or the jets-- i agree with bailey, i don't see him wanting to go to a bottom-feeder and start from scratch. . . but i wouldn't be surprised if he took a college job for a couple of years, either. . . .

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2009, 11:56 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9016914/SHANAHAN-IN-MIX---JETS-DO-#39;DUE-DILIGENCE#39;-ON-TWO-TIME-CHAMPION?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162ATT=5

SHANAHAN IN MIX - JETS DO 'DUE DILIGENCE' ON TWO-TIME CHAMPION
by BRIAN COSTELLO , The New York Post

The dream of Bill Cowher coaching the Jets died less than 48 hours into the team's search for a new head coach.

Now the Jets are left formulating Plan B.

That plan includes Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan and possibly Mike Shanahan, who was fired by the Broncos on Tuesday.

The Jets have had no contact with Shanahan, a team source said, but they are performing their "due diligence" on the two-time Super Bowl winner.

The Jets have requested and are expected to receive permission to interview Ryan, the longtime Ravens assistant and son of legendary coach Buddy Ryan. That interview will not take place until next week because the Ravens are playing Miami on Sunday, and NFL rules prohibit assistants of teams playing this weekend from interviewing before their first-round games.

Spagnuolo will interview Saturday, and in-house candidates Brian Schottenheimer and Bill Callahan will be interviewed tomorrow, according to a team source.

Shanahan is an intriguing late entry to the Jets' coaching search. The 56-year-old was fired by Denver after 14 seasons with the team. He went 146-91 in the regular season there, but his record is just 24-24 over the last three seasons. Fired Jets coach Eric Mangini went 23-25 over the same period.

Shanahan may want control over personnel as well as coaching, something Jets owner Woody Johnson said he does not believe in. Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum is remaining in control of personnel matters, a stumbling block for big-name coaches who want say in personnel.

After Cowher rejected the Jets late Tuesday night, theories popped up that the former Steelers coach may find the Broncos job more desirable because no general manager is in place there. Cowher would like to bring someone with whom he's familiar to be in charge of personnel.

The other plus for Denver is quarterback Jay Cutler. A source told The Post that Cowher did not want Brett Favre to be his quarterback. Discussions never got that far between Cowher and the Jets, but a team source said whoever is the team's new coach will not have Favre forced upon them.

"Woody and Mike want Favre to return," the source said. "However, they understand the new coach will have significant input in that decision."

Ryan, 46, has been the Ravens defensive coordinator for four years. He's been on the staff in Baltimore for 10 years. His defenses have finished fifth, first, sixth and second in the league rankings. He has interviewed for head-coaching jobs in Baltimore, Atlanta, San Diego and Miami in recent years. The Ravens' players lobbied for him before the team hired John Harbaugh last year.

The other candidates on the Jets' short list are Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier and veteran coach Marty Schottenheimer.

Frazier is considered to be the top minority coaching candidate in the NFL. The 49-year-old, a Tony Dungy disciple, guided Minnesota's top-ranked defense against the run this year. The NFL stipulates teams must interview one minority candidate - the so-called "Rooney Rule" - before hiring a new head coach.

Marty Schottenheimer's representatives spoke with the Jets on Monday, but the team seems to be lukewarm about hiring the 65-year-old. No formal discussions have been arranged.

Spagnuolo, 49, has emerged as the team's favorite with Cowher out of the picture. The energetic coach would give the team the antiMangini in terms of demeanor. He also is familiar to New York fans, a selling point for a fan base craving a big name. If the Jets do like Spagnuolo, they cannot offer him thejobuntilthe Giants are eliminated fromtheplayoffs.

Crush05
01-02-2009, 12:21 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9016914/SHANAHAN-IN-MIX---JETS-DO-#39;DUE-DILIGENCE#39;-ON-TWO-TIME-CHAMPION?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162ATT=5

SHANAHAN IN MIX - JETS DO 'DUE DILIGENCE' ON TWO-TIME CHAMPION
by BRIAN COSTELLO , The New York Post

The dream of Bill Cowher coaching the Jets died less than 48 hours into the team's search for a new head coach.

Now the Jets are left formulating Plan B.

That plan includes Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan and possibly Mike Shanahan, who was fired by the Broncos on Tuesday.

The Jets have had no contact with Shanahan, a team source said, but they are performing their "due diligence" on the two-time Super Bowl winner.

The Jets have requested and are expected to receive permission to interview Ryan, the longtime Ravens assistant and son of legendary coach Buddy Ryan. That interview will not take place until next week because the Ravens are playing Miami on Sunday, and NFL rules prohibit assistants of teams playing this weekend from interviewing before their first-round games.

Spagnuolo will interview Saturday, and in-house candidates Brian Schottenheimer and Bill Callahan will be interviewed tomorrow, according to a team source.

Shanahan is an intriguing late entry to the Jets' coaching search. The 56-year-old was fired by Denver after 14 seasons with the team. He went 146-91 in the regular season there, but his record is just 24-24 over the last three seasons. Fired Jets coach Eric Mangini went 23-25 over the same period.

Shanahan may want control over personnel as well as coaching, something Jets owner Woody Johnson said he does not believe in. Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum is remaining in control of personnel matters, a stumbling block for big-name coaches who want say in personnel.

After Cowher rejected the Jets late Tuesday night, theories popped up that the former Steelers coach may find the Broncos job more desirable because no general manager is in place there. Cowher would like to bring someone with whom he's familiar to be in charge of personnel.

The other plus for Denver is quarterback Jay Cutler. A source told The Post that Cowher did not want Brett Favre to be his quarterback. Discussions never got that far between Cowher and the Jets, but a team source said whoever is the team's new coach will not have Favre forced upon them.

"Woody and Mike want Favre to return," the source said. "However, they understand the new coach will have significant input in that decision."

Ryan, 46, has been the Ravens defensive coordinator for four years. He's been on the staff in Baltimore for 10 years. His defenses have finished fifth, first, sixth and second in the league rankings. He has interviewed for head-coaching jobs in Baltimore, Atlanta, San Diego and Miami in recent years. The Ravens' players lobbied for him before the team hired John Harbaugh last year.

The other candidates on the Jets' short list are Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier and veteran coach Marty Schottenheimer.

Frazier is considered to be the top minority coaching candidate in the NFL. The 49-year-old, a Tony Dungy disciple, guided Minnesota's top-ranked defense against the run this year. The NFL stipulates teams must interview one minority candidate - the so-called "Rooney Rule" - before hiring a new head coach.

Marty Schottenheimer's representatives spoke with the Jets on Monday, but the team seems to be lukewarm about hiring the 65-year-old. No formal discussions have been arranged.

Spagnuolo, 49, has emerged as the team's favorite with Cowher out of the picture. The energetic coach would give the team the antiMangini in terms of demeanor. He also is familiar to New York fans, a selling point for a fan base craving a big name. If the Jets do like Spagnuolo, they cannot offer him thejobuntilthe Giants are eliminated fromtheplayoffs.

:listen:hmmm something to think about!!!!

Bozo Jr.
01-02-2009, 12:36 AM
Most likely Dallas or NY. But he would fit best in Indy. I can totally see him in Colts garb. :shocked:

ktrain
01-02-2009, 01:21 AM
I said KC.

Stafford out of UGA looks alot like Elway at times, and KC will have a shot at him. They also have good young defensive talent that fits well with his defensive philosophy of blitz. Imagine LJ in ZBS

Shazam!
01-02-2009, 02:09 AM
I'm surprised Herm Edwards wasn't fired already.

Should Shanahan go to KC, the Broncos better get Spags, so his new defense can kick the ?!@# out of them physically, something that always happened to the Broncos when playing teams like Baltimore or Pitt.

broncofaninfla
01-02-2009, 09:40 AM
I'm thinking the Jets or Lions right now but a coach of his caliber probably has some owners considering firing their current head coaches to get Shanahan. I'd add KC, Dallas, San Diego, Washington, Cinn. and even Minnesota to teams who would consider that option.

Dirk
01-02-2009, 09:55 AM
I think Detroit. Only because he could basically writed his own ticket there and do what he wanted to. That team is in need of someone that can take the reigns and put the pieces together.

I also agree that Shanny has a lot of teams pondering firing their head coach if he would go there.

It will be interesting for sure.

MOtorboat
01-02-2009, 10:05 AM
I think Detroit. Only because he could basically writed his own ticket there and do what he wanted to. That team is in need of someone that can take the reigns and put the pieces together.

I also agree that Shanny has a lot of teams pondering firing their head coach if he would go there.

It will be interesting for sure.

As arrogant and bull-headed as Shanahan can be, I don't think he's going to want anything to do with Detroit. That place is a mess.

broncofaninfla
01-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Originally I thought Dallas would be a good fit but I'm starting to wonder if Jerry Jones control issues reminds Shanahan of Al Davis? I'm guessing Shanahan will want total control.

Dirk
01-02-2009, 10:45 AM
As arrogant and bull-headed as Shanahan can be, I don't think he's going to want anything to do with Detroit. That place is a mess.

And because of his attitude, it might just be where he lands. Because of how much of a mess that place is in. They would be willing to give him the keys to the mint. Just sayin'

Nomad
01-02-2009, 10:48 AM
I would have thought Cleveland but it looks like that job may be taken! Shannahan wants control of personnel and coaching and in Dallas he won't get that and him and Jones would not get along. KC seems to be the perfect fit but Herm Edwards is still there! I haven't a clue maybe Detriot but who would want that mess! Good luck to him wherever he lands!

MOtorboat
01-02-2009, 10:48 AM
And because of his attitude, it might just be where he lands. Because of how much of a mess that place is in. They would be willing to give him the keys to the mint. Just sayin'

It doesn't even look like they are going to look at him from the rumors I'm reading this morning, from PFT, and from the Detroit Free Press.

On top of that they want a coach who will fit into "their" system, whatever system it is they plan on having, and I don't see Shanahan fitting into that picture at all.

broncogirl7
01-02-2009, 11:13 AM
I see Detroit as an open-ticket for Shanahan. The people of Michigan need a shining star and they may see Shanahan as the bright spot in the otherwise pathetic organization of the Detroit Lions.

MOtorboat
01-02-2009, 11:17 AM
I see Detroit as an open-ticket for Shanahan. The people of Michigan need a shining star and they may see Shanahan as the bright spot in the otherwise pathetic organization of the Detroit Lions.

The organization doesn't want a Shanahan type. I don't think it really matters what the "people" want.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090101/SPORTS01/901010343/1049/SPORTS01

New Lions GM looks at former teammates as potential head coaches

broncogirl7
01-02-2009, 11:19 AM
The organization doesn't want a Shanahan type. I don't think it really matters what the "people" want.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090101/SPORTS01/901010343/1049/SPORTS01

New Lions GM looks at former teammates as potential head coaches

Yip and if the Lion's organization keeps making those types of decisions without thinking about the people of Michigan, they'll continue to have empty sites and losing support for their organization.

MOtorboat
01-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Yip and if the Lion's organization keeps making those types of decisions without thinking about the people of Michigan, they'll continue to have empty sites and losing support for their organization.

They are a losing organization because they've made bad business decisions.

Do you think Bowlen is going to take a poll with Broncos fans to decide who is going to be a new coach?

Noway
01-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Csu

MOtorboat
01-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Csu

Why would he choose CSU, when he could go coach an Elway at Arizona State. :rolleyes:

elsid13
01-02-2009, 11:26 AM

I kinda see Shanahan attracted to Detriot, he has enough of an ego to believe that he could turn the franchise around. Plus he would be complete control.

broncogirl7
01-02-2009, 11:28 AM
They are a losing organization because they've made bad business decisions.

Do you think Bowlen is going to take a poll with Broncos fans to decide who is going to be a new coach?

Bowlen is in a much better position than Detroit and as you said, they are a losing organization that makes bad business decisions so it certainly couldn't hurt them to listen to the faultering fan-base in Michigan.

MOtorboat
01-02-2009, 11:29 AM
I kinda see Shanahan attracted to Detriot, he has enough of an ego to believe that he could turn the franchise around. Plus he would be complete control.

Except that's not what Detroit wants.

http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=479850

topscribe
01-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Why would he choose CSU, when he could go coach an Elway at Arizona State. :rolleyes:

Maybe because Dennis Erickson is doing that right now?

-----

Nature Boy
01-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Detroit perhaps.

No where to go but up.

Got two number one draft picks, two number threes and couple extras.

Got a killer WR, and a decent defense if you can get em off the field.

He could only look damn smart there, and he could bring in whomever he wanted.

He would win in Dallas.

No where to go but up in KC.

He would take Rivers and LT to the superbowl.

The Lions are a cursed team. No coach wants to go there, everyone fails there. No matter how many 1st rounders they have. No matter how much potential on paper that team has, there's an atmosphere of losing.

I see Mickey going to Dallas 1st, then KC or SD tied for 2nd.

I'm more concern now who will be coming to Denver and the field looks pretty gloomy.

Too bad Mike Singletary has a job already.

broncogirl7
01-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Except that's not what Detroit wants.

http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=479850

True...it's not what the "organization" wants, but it doesn't sound like they are releasing too much information right now. It looks like the people of Michigan will lose again...:tsk:

Medford Bronco
01-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Dallas is a perfect job for Shanny and would make them
instant favorites next season there.

I also could see him in NY with the Jets but
he would need to replace farve with a veteran

He would do well there as well.

I would stay away from KC as they have
too far away to go for him to win but
he could probably love to stick it to
denver in the process

Nature Boy
01-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Dallas is a perfect job for Shanny and would make them
instant favorites next season there.

I also could see him in NY with the Jets but
he would need to replace farve with a veteran

He would do well there as well.

I would stay away from KC as they have
too far away to go for him to win but
he could probably love to stick it to
denver in the process

Totally agree.

ktrain
01-02-2009, 01:21 PM

CSU is set at HC for a while Steve Fairchild did a real nice job this past year and he is an alum.

MOtorboat
01-02-2009, 01:25 PM
CSU is set at HC for a while Steve Fairchild did a real nice job this past year and he is an alum.

No, I know...sarcastic response to that guys post.

ktrain
01-02-2009, 01:36 PM
...he could probably love to stick it to
denver in the process

I don't quite see it that way. I don't think Shanny is looking to "stick it" to the Broncos or Bowlen like he regularly looks to embarrass Al Davis. I think the two situations are totally different. His disdane for Greasy Al arises from the manner he was treated on the way out, particularly, Al stealing several hundred thousands of dollars from Mike. I think he totally respects Pat B, and understands the need for the organization to go another direction.

That said, I think Mike will do what is best for Mike regardless of what impact that has on the Broncos. Mike wants to win above all else, which means he will take the job that gives him the best situation to win another superbowl (or two or three).

Personally, I think the chefs could make alot of sense for him, particularly if the owner is willing to give him complete control and 2-3 years to turn the ship around. As I said in an earlier post, Stafford from Georgia reminds people alot of John Elway in tersm of physical skills. Could you imagine, a young Elway II, LJ with ZBS , Bowe and Gonzales in 2-3 years? Could be scarry. I guess the good news is that SlowDICK will probably be his coordinator, so not too much to fear!

Nature Boy
01-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Personally, I think the chefs could make alot of sense for him, particularly if the owner is willing to give him complete control and 2-3 years to turn the ship around. As I said in an earlier post, Stafford from Georgia reminds people alot of John Elway in tersm of physical skills. Could you imagine, a young Elway II, LJ with ZBS , Bowe and Gonzales in 2-3 years? Could be scarry. I guess the good news is that SlowDICK will probably be his coordinator, so not too much to fear!

I thought Jay Cutler reminded everyone of John Elway. What good is that when you don't have a defense. Well at least the Chiefs defense as lousy as they are is still better than this year's Broncos defense.

Did I mention that Nate Webster sucked right from the start?

Noway
01-02-2009, 03:59 PM
No, I know...sarcastic response to that guys post.

What a genius! I was being sarcastic when I said it in the first place...:rolleyes:

bcbronc
01-02-2009, 04:17 PM
I don't quite see it that way. I don't think Shanny is looking to "stick it" to the Broncos or Bowlen like he regularly looks to embarrass Al Davis. I think the two situations are totally different. His disdane for Greasy Al arises from the manner he was treated on the way out, particularly, Al stealing several hundred thousands of dollars from Mike. I think he totally respects Pat B, and understands the need for the organization to go another direction.

That said, I think Mike will do what is best for Mike regardless of what impact that has on the Broncos. Mike wants to win above all else, which means he will take the job that gives him the best situation to win another superbowl (or two or three).

meh, in 2-3 years LJ and Gonzales will be mere shells of themselves anyway. I think KC is further away than Detroit as of right now.

I want Shanny to go to the Lions. any fans left deserves Shanny after this season. Detroit's also an easy team to route for. A lot easier than KC or Dallas anyway.

I think he'll end up a Cowboy though. seems like a good fit, except for the o-line. I can't see Dallas becoming a ZB team in one off-season. and would JJ even let that happen? I don't think the two egos would be too big an obstacle. after all Big Tuna and Jimmy Johnson have pretty big egos, and they worked out for a while (I'd think Shanny would be looking short-term like 2-3 years anyway if he signed with Dallas).

Crush05
01-08-2009, 01:14 AM
WOW......:shocked:..... No one picked San Diego!!! I thought for sure with San Diego's build and when they lose in the playoffs again they will make yet another coaching change! I feel he would jump at the chance!!!! Although I still feel like Dallas is where he will be next!

Tned
01-08-2009, 08:24 AM
If he got a job for '09, I figured only Dallas or SD were likely, both of which have coaches. I figured in SD, it would take one and out in the playoffs, which they didn't do. So, even if SD gets bounced now, Norv likely keeps his job.

Jones seems to be set, or has boxed himself in, regarding Wade Phillips. The only possibly way I see that changing is if Garrett signs someplace as a HC, then that could be Jones excuse to pull the trigger on phillips.

Short of that, we are looking at '10 for Shanahan, and then in addition to possibly SD or Dallas, you could have other teams like Washington and a few others that could both be in the market for coaches and be places Shanahan would want to go.