PDA

View Full Version : Interesting -- Shanahan has to make an 'effort' to find a job, to get paid by Bowlen

Tned
12-31-2008, 08:16 PM
Just heard them talking about this on Sirius. I think it is practically moot, but interesting none the less.

Apparently all these contracts require that a fired coach makes an effort to find gainful employment. So, if Mike was to say, "I'm going to take a year or two off", then Bowlen can say, "he's not trying to find a job, his contract is void."

So, at the very minimum, Shanahan has to make a pretense of looking/interviewing for open positions, in order to keep getting paid under his existing contract.

Nature Boy
12-31-2008, 08:19 PM
Mike has about 4-5 teams ready to hire him as we speak. I would like for him to go to KC, SD or Dallas so he can kick our asses year after year.

AlWilsonizKING
12-31-2008, 08:21 PM
I would like for him to go to KC, SD or Dallas so he can kick our asses year after year.

No, No, No and NO!!!

PEACE!!!

LordTrychon
12-31-2008, 08:34 PM
Didn't know that. Interesting.

Everything I've heard though expects him to coach this year. We'll see, I guess.

UnderArmour
12-31-2008, 08:44 PM
Dallas should can Wade Phillips for Shanahan. They'd all of a sudden turn into real Super Bowl contenders.

tomjonesrocks
12-31-2008, 08:49 PM
NFC, please...this is hard enough as it is...

Crush05
12-31-2008, 09:08 PM
For starters Shanny left in class act fashion!!! IMO Bowlen is the type of owner who will not only treat his former coach/ still best friend fairly!!!! I think this thread is pointless!!!:rolleyes:

Tned
12-31-2008, 09:10 PM
For starters Shanny left in class act fashion!!! IMO Bowlen is the type of owner who will not only treat his former coach/ still best friend fairly!!!! I think this thread is pointless!!!:rolleyes:

I think you could argue 90% of threads on ever message board is 'pointless'. In the case of this thread, I thought it was an interesting point about coaches contracts that I am guessing that 99.9% of people who visit the message board don't know.

Crush05
12-31-2008, 09:14 PM
I think you could argue 90% of threads on ever message board is 'pointless'. In the case of this thread, I thought it was an interesting point about coaches contracts that I am guessing that 99.9% of people who visit the message board don't know.

I understand your point!!! But like I said IMO Bowlen will show and make a point to prove why we are a world class org!!!! He will do the right thing IMO it may not be his full contractual agreement but I am sure they will work something out between the two of them to where they are both happy!!!

Tned
12-31-2008, 09:33 PM
I understand your point!!! But like I said IMO Bowlen will show and make a point to prove why we are a world class org!!!! He will do the right thing IMO it may not be his full contractual agreement but I am sure they will work something out between the two of them to where they are both happy!!!

I posted this more as an interesting 'tidbit' that most people, including myself, didn't know than as a way that Bowlen might get out of paying Shanahan.

Crush05
12-31-2008, 09:39 PM
I came across a little harsh with my choice of words on what I stated earlier! This thread is not pointless and I can see how it can be informative! So my apologies if I came across incorrectly there Tned!!:2thumbs:

Tned
12-31-2008, 10:03 PM
I came across a little harsh with my choice of words on what I stated earlier! This thread is not pointless and I can see how it can be informative! So my apologies if I came across incorrectly there Tned!!:2thumbs:

It's all good. :)

MOtorboat
12-31-2008, 10:18 PM
I would like for him to go to KC, SD or Dallas so he can kick our asses year after year.

LOL.

Once again proving what a dumbass you are.

Good job.

SR
12-31-2008, 11:07 PM
This explains what he was saying during his press conference about having to get a job so he can get paid...

roomemp
01-01-2009, 01:18 AM
Happy 2009 to Shanny and family. Shanny is second to only John Elway. Two Broncos legends.

Shazam!
01-01-2009, 01:39 AM
Shanny is second to only Floyd Little and John Elway. Three Broncos legends.

Edited for accuracy.

Superchop 7
01-01-2009, 02:57 AM
To be honest, I would love to see Bowlen face Shanny.

Alot.

Bronco Bible
01-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Mike has about 4-5 teams ready to hire him as we speak. I would like for him to go to KC, SD or Dallas so he can kick our asses year after year.

:confused:

frauschieze
01-08-2009, 10:01 PM
So....since Shanahan's looking to take a year off, does that mean his contract is void now?

broncogirl7
01-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Doesn't he need to take the year off to get hired by Dallas in 2010?

MOtorboat
01-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Doesn't he need to take the year off to get hired by Dallas in 2010?

No.

broncogirl7
01-08-2009, 10:06 PM
No.

Let me rephrase...he needs to take a year off, if he has his eyes set on Dallas because if he signed now he'd be tied to a contract that would prevent him from going to Dallas.

MOtorboat
01-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Let me rephrase...he needs to take a year off, if he has his eyes set on Dallas because if he signed now he'd be tied to a contract that would prevent him from going to Dallas.

Remember the last time he was a coach for a controlling owner?

I don't think Shanahan wants anything to do with Dallas.

Wait...sorry...read that again..."tied to a contract?"

He's not tied to anything. He just got fired.

broncogirl7
01-08-2009, 10:08 PM

Wait...sorry...read that again..."tied to a contract"

Yeah, you are probably right about that.

broncogirl7
01-08-2009, 10:09 PM

Not with Denver, with whatever team he'd sign with in 2009 if he wasn't taking a year off.

MOtorboat
01-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Not with Denver, with whatever team he'd sign with in 2009 if he wasn't taking a year off.

If he takes a job, it will be the right one. It's not like he's hard off.

broncogirl7
01-08-2009, 10:12 PM
If he takes a job, it will be the right one. It's not like he's hard off.

Yeah, I think he can be picky and afford to take off however much time he chooses.
Back to Frau's question...if Shanahan doesn't "find" a job for 2009 does that void his contract with the Broncos?

Medford Bronco
01-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Dallas should can Wade Phillips for Shanahan. They'd all of a sudden turn into real Super Bowl contenders.

That is what I said. He is a perfect fit for them and I would wish him well in his NFC city and not the AFC West which would be :scared:

Medford Bronco
01-08-2009, 10:15 PM

Why not?

Parcells co-existed with Jones and so could Shanahan.

He would have tons of talent and would be able to utilize
that offense with Romo, Whitten, Barber, TO and Williams.

The Defense has a ton of talent as well.

he would be a Super Bowl favorite next season if he went there.

Why go to a KC that would take a few years to rebuild, unless
they had a Pennington fall into their lap like Miami did

MOtorboat
01-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Why not?

Parcells co-existed with Jones and so could Shanahan.

He would have tons of talent and would be able to utilize
that offense with Romo, Whitten, Barber, TO and Williams.

The Defense has a ton of talent as well.

he would be a Super Bowl favorite next season if he went there.

Why go to a KC that would take a few years to rebuild, unless
they had a Pennington fall into their lap like Miami did

Parcells never had full control of a team.

Shanahan did.

Shanahan will not go to Dallas.

Superchop 7
01-09-2009, 01:30 AM
If Shanny signs to coach for 1 million, Bowlen is still liable for the other 6 million.

The "effort" thing is probably under gentlemens agreement, Shanny takes a paid year off, then gets back into coaching (Thus splitting the remainder of the contract down the middle)

Simple Jaded
01-09-2009, 01:52 AM

Lol.......just 90%?.......

fcspikeit
01-09-2009, 03:38 AM
Shanahan made a point in his press conference to talk about how good an owner Bowlan was, one of the reasons he listed was, he would pay the contracts of his let go coaches until they found work..

Man he is smart! Bowlen would look like a ***** if he didn't pay Shanahan now, even if he didn't look for work.

When he said it I thought it came a bit out of left field, there was just something about it...

Tned
01-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Shanahan made a point in his press conference to talk about how good an owner Bowlan was, one of the reasons he listed was, he would pay the contracts of his let go coaches until they found work..

Man he is smart! Bowlen would look like a ***** if he didn't pay Shanahan now, even if he didn't look for work.

When he said it I thought it came a bit out of left field, there was just something about it...

I honestly doubt Bowlen would care how he looked. Millions of dollars is millions of dollars. If Bowlen didn't care how he looked when he laid off 8 or 10 office staff last year due to financial concerns, I doubt he would care how he looked if he stopped paying Shanahan.

Instead, I am sure it will simply come down to the contract. If the contract terms call for Shanahan to be paid (for instance, proof he is making a good faith effort to find gainful employment), then he is paid. If not, he doesn't.