PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Staff?

Zweems56
12-31-2008, 06:51 PM
Please interpret.

On the current coaching staff: “I don’t anticipate that we’ll be keeping any members of the coaching staff. Nothing will change in the personnel department.”

Sounds contradictory. I really hope we don't clean house. that would be CRAZY

Zweems56
12-31-2008, 06:53 PM
I just found a bit of an update. This is what I found on denverbroncos.com

On whether he will keep coaches and personnel staff regardless of head coach decision
"I don’t anticipate that we will be keeping any members of the coaching staff. Nothing will change in the personnel department."

[LATER CLARIFIED: ALL COACHES WILL BE EVALUATED INDIVIDUALLY, AND THOSE DECISIONS WILL BE MADE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE ORGANIZATION]

Shazam!
12-31-2008, 06:59 PM
I expect most of the offensive assistants to stay, and if so, we'll be ok.

broken12
12-31-2008, 07:01 PM
mike said he thought all offense assistants would stay and that itwould be dumb for someone to change that

Tned
12-31-2008, 07:02 PM
I expect most of the offensive assistants to stay, and if so, we'll be ok.

I don't see any way he forces any assistant on a new head coach. He will only be able to do that if he brings in a lightweight coach, or a current defensive coordinator, and they agree to leave some/all the offensive staff in place.

Shazam!
12-31-2008, 07:04 PM
I believe Jay Cutler's opinion will have a say in the offensive coaches... Bowlen had nothing but good things to say about his QB and how he is the now of the team.

broncophan
12-31-2008, 07:07 PM
I believe Jay Cutler's opinion will have a say in that... Bowlen had nothing but good things to say about his QB and how he is the now of the team.

Saying that Cutler is the "now of the team"
That was kind of a scary statement.....imo
I don't see where Cutler is deserving of a statement like that......at least not yet....

Shazam!
12-31-2008, 07:14 PM
Someone needs to take the leadership aspect of the team. It has none right now.

That's another Shanahan issue. These boys had no leadership.

They're all young. Gotta start somewhere. Might as well be the QB.

broncophan
12-31-2008, 07:18 PM
Someone needs to take the leadership aspect of the team. It has none right now.

That's another Shanahan issue. These boys had no leadership.

They're all young. Gotta start somewhere. Might as well be the QB.

I agree...the team needs a leader......but I think you need a winner to be a leader........I just think it has to be earned.

Cutler has not earned anything ...........yet.......maybe going to the pro bowl will help the kid......

Shazam!
12-31-2008, 07:22 PM
Kisla said in an interview today on ESPN Radio 'Jay has some growing up to do,' and I agree with that. But he used the example of him chewing out BMarsh for dropping a catch on Sunday. I disagree with that, THAT'S what the team needs.

Elway did that all the time, but that's irrelevent. Someone needs to set the standards. May as well be the QB.

Tned
12-31-2008, 07:31 PM
I believe Jay Cutler's opinion will have a say in the offensive coaches... Bowlen had nothing but good things to say about his QB and how he is the now of the team.

Unlikely. Jay might be the future of the team on offense, in terms of talent and the belief he is a franchise QB, but he is not going to have much if any influence on the coaching staff. This isn't like an Elway that had been in the league for 7 years and gone to three SB's.

The new head coach is going to decide on the staff. Do you honestly believe if Cowher is brought in that Cutler is going to tell him what coaches to keep? If the OC from NE comes in, that the Broncos staff will stay?

It all depends on who is hired as HC. If they have their own offensive philosiphy, then likely much, if not all, of the offensive staff goes. If we bring in a defensive guy, and he likes what he sees from what Denver did this year on offense, then some of the offensive staff will likely stay.

A smart HC will talk to Jay, and get his input, if nothing else to forge a bond, but it will be simply that, input.

broken12
12-31-2008, 07:32 PM
Just watched cbs 4 and they talked about how they wannta keep bates turner and dennison, but also said not sure till they get a new coach what will happen, also said if they want to find work elsewhere to go ahead.

MOtorboat
12-31-2008, 07:32 PM
I really hope we don't clean house. that would be CRAZY

I don't think it would be crazy at all. Part of the problem was that Shanahan had a bunch of yes-men for coaches. This changes that, or should.

I don't like the move, as far as firing Shanahan, but if we're going to do it, then you HAVE to clean house. The position coaches, the coordinators, the damn water boys, they all need to go. Hire a GM, let him hire a coach, let the coach hire the coaches.

If Shanahan is gone, then clean house. Start anew. Next year might be a little rough, but its what's needed, now that the decision to move on has been made.

Tned
12-31-2008, 07:35 PM
I don't think it would be crazy at all. Part of the problem was that Shanahan had a bunch of yes-men for coaches. This changes that, or should.

I don't like the move, as far as firing Shanahan, but if we're going to do it, then you HAVE to clean house. The position coaches, the coordinators, the damn water boys, they all need to go. Hire a GM, let him hire a coach, let the coach hire the coaches.

If Shanahan is gone, then clean house. Start anew. Next year might be a little rough, but its what's needed, now that the decision to move on has been made.

Well, based on what Bowlen said, all but the hiring a GM part is going to happen. It sounds like the only way current position coaches (or other coaches) stay is if the new HC chooses to keep them.

Superchop 7
12-31-2008, 07:39 PM
Ship Dennison and Turner ??

Bye, Bye running game.

Zweems56
12-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Turner, Bates, and Dennison should stay regardless imho. I dont think you throw a brand new system into players that are performing exceptionally well. Like shanahan saikd in his press conference today. As a head coach, you hire people who know their job better than you do. Number 2 offense in the NFL when they hardly spent any time on the field because of our failure of a defense, is not something you completely overhaul regardless of a HC change.

Tned
12-31-2008, 07:46 PM
Ship Dennison and Turner ??

Bye, Bye running game.

The running game went bye, bye several years ago. The further we got away from Alex Gibbs, the less effective our running game became, especially where it mattered, which was near the goal line and in other short-yardage situations.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be a bit dissapointed if Turner, Dennison and Bates remained (Dennison as the LINE coach, Bates as OC and Turner as RB coach), but the fact is that Turner and Dennison have not been able to retain the magic that Gibbs brought to the Broncos' running game.

Tned
12-31-2008, 07:47 PM
Turner, Bates, and Dennison should stay regardless imho. I dont think you throw a brand new system into players that are performing exceptionally well. Like shanahan saikd in his press conference today. As a head coach, you hire people who know their job better than you do. Number 2 offense in the NFL when they hardly spent any time on the field because of our failure of a defense, is not something you completely overhaul regardless of a HC change.

Again, it all depends on the HC. If they bring in the NE OC, then he is clearly going to implement his offense. If they hire another OC, or offensive minded head coach, then he is going to implement 'his' offense. That's just the way it works.

Zweems56
12-31-2008, 07:50 PM
Again, it all depends on the HC. If they bring in the NE OC, then he is clearly going to implement his offense. If they hire another OC, or offensive minded head coach, then he is going to implement 'his' offense. That's just the way it works.

If we bring in a strong offensive head coach and ignore the options as far as defensive head coaches, I think bowlen would be a bigger idiot than "shanahan was" (not that I thought that anyway...) What this team needs right now is guidance on the defensive side of the ball. Do you take your Great offense and make them greater, or do you leave your great offense alone and take your defense out of the slums and bring it back to at least mediocrity if not greatness itself?

Tned
12-31-2008, 07:53 PM
If we bring in a strong offensive head coach and ignore the options as far as defensive head coaches, I think bowlen would be a bigger idiot than "shanahan was" (not that I thought that anyway...) What this team needs right now is guidance on the defensive side of the ball. Do you take your Great offense and make them greater, or do you leave your great offense alone and take your defense out of the slums and bring it back to at least mediocrity if not greatness itself?

I guess we will find the answer to that pretty soon.

Adam Scheffter, who gets things right more often than not, and more than most reporters, said that Shanahan will go after a young, creative offensive minded coach. But, who knows.

As I have said, it wouldn't bother me one bit for Bates, Turner and a few others to stay on as offensive coaches. My only point is that it is FAR from a sure thing.

NightTrainLayne
01-01-2009, 10:47 AM

Adam Scheffter, who gets things right more often than not, and more than most reporters, said that Shanahan will go after a young, creative offensive minded coach. But, who knows.

As I have said, it wouldn't bother me one bit for Bates, Turner and a few others to stay on as offensive coaches. My only point is that it is FAR from a sure thing.

Some habits are REALLY hard to break aren't they? :D

Mike
01-01-2009, 10:53 AM

While I won't discount anything anymore, my money says that Bates stays for sure in some fashion (QB Coach or O-Coord). I am willing to bet that Cutler asked Bowlen for that and I bet Bowlen will do it to keep his QB happy.