PDA

View Full Version : Question about the 1989 Denver Broncos

sneakers
10-26-2011, 06:05 PM
The year we got crushed by the 49ers in the Superbowl (I was 10 years old and didnt go to school for 3 days afterwards because all the kids at school would make fun of me), didn't we have the #1 defense in the NFL that year?

Lancane
10-26-2011, 06:17 PM
The year we got crushed by the 49ers in the Superbowl (I was 10 years old and didnt go to school for 3 days afterwards because all the kids at school would make fun of me), didn't we have the #1 defense in the NFL that year?

Denver that year had the 8th overall offense and the 1st overall defense.

MOtorboat
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1989/opp.htm

Yes, in terms of points sneakers.

Jsteve01
number one scoring defense...number 3 yardage wise

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=1989&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

Jsteve01
10-26-2011, 06:18 PM
late to the party i see lol

Shazam!
10-26-2011, 06:22 PM
Kragen (then Denver's NT) was under 270 lbs.

Back then the NFC OLines were filled with King Kongs and Godzillas.

sneakers
10-26-2011, 06:24 PM
LOl prolly because dan reeves played marty-ball with the offense and held onto the ball for 40 minutes of the game with the 18-play 77 yard drives

Lancane
10-26-2011, 06:24 PM
Kragen (then Denver's NT) was under 270 lbs.

Back then the NFC OLines were filled with King Kongs and Godzillas.

Kragen looked like a linebacker in a sumo wrestling contest! :lol:

Locnar
10-26-2011, 07:28 PM

I got made fun of a lot after that game. Funny thing is, all the 49er fans in my town quickly became Bill's and Cowboy fans..

nevcraw
10-26-2011, 08:19 PM
I was a senior in high school and was NYC that weekend partying it up with friends.. great weekend, terrible game.

CrazyHorse
10-26-2011, 08:50 PM
When I build a time machine first thing I'm doing is going back and making sure Denver wins all 4 of the Super Bowls they lost. Then we can have 6 and the Steelers can suck it.

CrazyHorse
10-26-2011, 08:53 PM
Make sure they beat the Steelers in '05 too. 7 is the magic number just like Elway.

Broncos Mtnman
10-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Man, this post brings back memories. You think you had it bad, check this...

I worked for FedEx back then and was based in Denver. I had to attend a management class in Sacramento (not far from SF) that ran for two weeks.

The first week of training was the week leading up to the Super Bowl. On the first day we stood up front and introduced ourselves. I proudly introduced myself and closed with, "I'm based in Denver, home of the AFC Champions who will use their #1 defense to humble the 49ers."

We got to go home over the weekend.

When I returned for the second week of training, we had to re-introduce ourselves because there were some new participants.

When it came time to say, "I'm based in Denver," the jeers and "boos" provided the largest bit of crow I ever had to swallow.

I was much quieter that second week. :lol:

AlWilsonizKING
10-26-2011, 10:35 PM
That game was on my birthday. :tsk: I spent the entire 2 weeks up to that game talking 'ish about how we would win and it was because of being on my day......well we all know what happened....:( Needless to say I think I had to eat crow for the next 2 weeks after the loss.

Still heartbreaking to this day.......I though for sure.

PEACE!!!

FanInAZ
10-26-2011, 11:28 PM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1989/opp.htm

Yes, in terms of points sneakers.

Dude, you stole my line.

89 was my 1st year after high school. The next day when I got up, I saw 1 of my Broncos shirts in my closet & decided that I was going to where it as a statement that I was still proud of my Broncos :2thumb:

Northman
10-27-2011, 06:09 AM
I still remember Kragen muttering to himself "what the hell is going on" as Montana and company marched up and down on them. Cant remember the player's name for SF but he was quoted a few years later as saying he hated Elway but felt sorry for him on that day.

smith49
10-27-2011, 08:32 AM
Sophomore in high school. I lived in Idaho so there was a lot of fans of various teams. Needless to say it was a few days of ridicule. I wouldn't change it though because when we finally won it made it even more special.

BigDaddyBronco
10-27-2011, 09:15 AM
I remember that I was so distraught watching the first half that I went on a long bike ride during the second half. Then the Broncos were pretty mediocre until I was out of college.

slim
10-27-2011, 10:06 AM
I was pretty drunk that year, so I don't really remember.

Ravage!!!
10-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Denver that year had the 8th overall offense and the 1st overall defense.

Which tells me, again, just how much an offense HELPS the defense. When you have a strong offense, your defense always looks better. (except in that Super Bowl).

Which goes to show, that a strong defense doesn't "win championships"..... as the saying goes.

NightTrainLayne
10-27-2011, 01:12 PM
I remember that very well. I was in 7th grade.

The Monday afterwards, I proudly wore my AFC Championship t-shirt to school, and was horribly ridiculed. It was terrible.

I also remember reading Sports Illustrated sometime after the SB. They had a big article on Montana. In it, he talked about how the night after the 49ers won the NFC Championship that his OC (can't remember who it was, and I should), was already breaking down tape and showing him.

It's been over 20 years, so I don't remember exactly, but we had a glaring assignment/scheme problem in our secondary. His OC showed him, and Montana said he asked, "They do that EVERY time?" incredulously, to which the OC responded affirmatively.

Montana and the 49ers took advantage of that scheme problem relentlessly, and we had absolutely no answer for it.

Reading that both helped and hurt. It helped to know that the players on D were in a scheme that allowed them to be taken advantage of. . .it wasn't effort, or skill. It hurt to know that somehow we had such a glaring schematic problem, and had no idea. Made us seem like a bunch of jackasses.

MOtorboat
10-27-2011, 04:13 PM
I also remember reading Sports Illustrated sometime after the SB. They had a big article on Montana. In it, he talked about how the night after the 49ers won the NFC Championship that his OC (can't remember who it was, and I should), was already breaking down tape and showing him.

Mike Holmgren.

It was brutal.

Dreadnought
10-27-2011, 06:52 PM
I remember that very well. I was in 7th grade.

The Monday afterwards, I proudly wore my AFC Championship t-shirt to school, and was horribly ridiculed. It was terrible.

It's been over 20 years, so I don't remember exactly, but we had a glaring assignment/scheme problem in our secondary. His OC showed him, and Montana said he asked, "They do that EVERY time?" incredulously, to which the OC responded affirmatively.

Montana and the 49ers took advantage of that scheme problem relentlessly, and we had absolutely no answer for it.

Reading that both helped and hurt. It helped to know that the players on D were in a scheme that allowed them to be taken advantage of. . .it wasn't effort, or skill. It hurt to know that somehow we had such a glaring schematic problem, and had no idea. Made us seem like a bunch of jackasses.

I was at the Infantry Officers Basic Course at Fort Benning. I had a really really bad feeling about the game, so I bought a 6 pack and watched it alone in my BOQ room. It exceeded my worst expectations.

NightTerror218
10-27-2011, 07:02 PM
I dont remember I was 4.......

Canmore
10-27-2011, 07:12 PM
I was at the Infantry Officers Basic Course at Fort Benning. I had a really really bad feeling about the game, so I bought a 6 pack and watched it alone in my BOQ room. It exceeded my worst expectations.

I was in flight school, advanced jets, A-4s on a det in southern California. We flew seven days a week and I had a flight during the Super Bowl. Tuned in at halftime and it was 27-3 I think. What a drag. Game over and I had to sit through the second half.

NightTrainLayne
10-28-2011, 12:14 AM
Mike Holmgren.

It was brutal.

I guess it's poetic justice that we got our first SB against Holmgren's "pre-destined" Packers.

MOtorboat
10-28-2011, 12:27 AM
I guess it's poetic justice that we got our first SB against Holmgren's "pre-destined" Packers.

There are two things burned into my brain from that playoff run in '89-'90 (ok, three)...

Mile High shaking so bad that watching the divisional game on TV was rough, Bubby Brister's mom during that Steelers game and Michael Young's touchdown on the completely blown coverage by the Browns in the AFC Championship.