PDA

View Full Version : The Official BRING SHANAHAN BACK THREAD

WARHORSE
12-31-2008, 05:47 PM
OK Bowlen.

Get some tissue out, hand one to Mike, get one yerself, and you two dry each others tears. This isnt what you both want, but you feel like there needs to be change. So lets compromise. What the heck. Youre paying Shanahan 20 mil regardless, as a business man, you may as well get your moneys worth. No one is better at scripting the first 15 plays on sundays than Mike the mastermind. Do you want to possibly face that on sundays?

Want Larry Johnson possibly running under Shannys direction? How about LT? How about the Dallas offense with a REAL headcoach, not The Puppetmaster Phillips?
Clue you in on something...........neither do we.

You lit a fire under Mikes rear end. In the end, I think its gonna help him.

What say you bring in a GM to build a defense, along with a new DC who has head coaching experience, and let Shanny back in the door.

Youre friends for cryin out loud, and sometimes when things dont go your way, you make knee jerk reactions.

This is about reality. The problem isnt the offense. The problem is the D.

Im a little afraid of watching some new coach ruin this young team with a new everything.

And so are you.

spikerman
12-31-2008, 06:31 PM
It'll never happen, but I love the sentiment.

broncophan
12-31-2008, 06:37 PM
Keep this thread around.................it will be needed about 4 or 5 games into next season.....;)

Broncolingus
12-31-2008, 06:46 PM
I'm going to stick with Bowl-in and the decision here...no disrespect at-tall though, War :salute:

I'm willing to conceed a few 'worse' - if you can call simply having a poorer regular season record worse - seasons to build a championship team.

Getting a stud GM is going to be the key to this move initally...the coach I'm willing to give some time.

I don't think Denver can wait on a GM though...and we are now certainly committed to that.

TWT...

Shazam!
12-31-2008, 06:54 PM
Was there a 'Bring Back Jake' Thread too? lol

This team has talent. This wasn't a Championship team being dismantled. If this was 1999, I'd be more concerned.

The pieces are in place for a juggernaut Offense with a RB especially if they keep the Offensive assistants or run a similar scheme. Work the defense and you could have something. These guys have needed a REAL fire under their asses for years.

If Denver went 8-8 or worse under Shanahan next year and was fired, the sentiment would've been the same.

2 Super Bowls 10 years ago. The Leader of the team retired too. Time to move on.

JKcatch724
12-31-2008, 07:05 PM
I was upset as any to see Shanny go. Nobody's going to forget the things he did for us anytime soon, you can be sure of that. He's still a Bronco, and always will be a Bronco. And that press conference was real tough to watch.

But Mike's moving on, and so should we. Change is a good thing, and you have to be optimistic about it. With the right guys, I truly believe we can watch a very quick turnaround. Keep the offense intact and get a guy who knows how to fix a defense, and we have a legit team.

This is going to turn out alright. Mike's leaving was going to happen sooner or later, and let's be real. We were just not getting it done with him at the helm anymore. Mike said it himself. Like many have said, this is just about the best job a coach could ever want... I trust Pat to make the right decision.

Shazam!
12-31-2008, 07:11 PM
1994 Denver Broncos- Potent pass Offense. No running game. Talented QB. Abysmal defense. Needed new direction and Coach. 24-24 in three seasons.

2008 Denver Broncos- Potent pass Offense. Seeks solution for RB. Talented QB. Abysmal defense. Needs new direction and Coach. 24-24 in three seasons.

Denver will be OK.

DenBronx
12-31-2008, 07:39 PM
who knows, maybe in 5-8 years shanahan will be back if we head into a blunder of dead beat coaches. i think they both will go differant directions but you never know down the road he might end up back in orange and blue.

but really i dont think bowlen would fire his "friend and coach for life" and publicly embarrass him only to make a point. as sad as this is, it's also as real as it gets.

Superchop 7
12-31-2008, 07:43 PM
I think Bowlen just made a huge mistake.

So be it.

Lie in the bed you make.

BroncoWave
12-31-2008, 07:50 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Nightmare30/Funny%20stuff/facepalm.jpg

Magnificent Seven
12-31-2008, 07:51 PM
Season '09 would be interesting.

If Mike Shanahan signs with the Dallas Cowboys, then it would be an interesting match. Broncos vs. Mike Shanahan in Denver.

Same thing goes for Cowher. Steelers vs. Cowher in Denver.

I am referring to Steelers vs. Broncos and Cowboys vs. Broncos games.

broken12
12-31-2008, 07:56 PM
Like shannahan said after fired from oakland once you give a little eventually it all goes out the window, i think this means he didnt wanna give up some titles and fire d coordinator, bowlen said i dont fire coordinators, coaches job is to put together the besst staff to compete and produce, any of you thought slowik was the best available option at the dcoordinater job? just look at his coaching past and that would be no!

Nature Boy
12-31-2008, 08:05 PM
HAhahahaha! I love this board and Broncos fans.

atwater27
12-31-2008, 08:10 PM
HAhahahaha! I love this board and Broncos fans.

I don't understand.

LordTrychon
12-31-2008, 08:37 PM
I agree with the OP.

Doubtful... but wishful thinking can be fun.

WARHORSE
12-31-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm going to stick with Bowl-in and the decision here...no disrespect at-tall though, War :salute:

I'm willing to conceed a few 'worse' - if you can call simply having a poorer regular season record worse - seasons to build a championship team.

Getting a stud GM is going to be the key to this move initally...the coach I'm willing to give some time.

I don't think Denver can wait on a GM though...and we are now certainly committed to that.

TWT...

No disrespect taken.

More a token thread of loyalty to Shanahan along with the realization that we may have a messed up year next year. That wouldnt be so bad, but it would mean a couple more years of that crap too, cause superbowls dont come with first year coaches. I dont want to waste time teaching a team a new philosophy/scheme without knowing it can be successful.

Leave the offense alone. Blow up the defense.

And I'll have some optimism.

SR
12-31-2008, 11:12 PM
Friggin stupid thread. Honestly. Pull your head out of your ass...

Greatspirits
01-01-2009, 01:11 AM
Ok lets start a thread "Bring back medicore football" or bring back "8-8 seasons" come on! We've seen this same script for the past 8 years. We all are greatful for what Shanny did but its time for a change, not just for the team but for Mike as well.

Shazam!
01-01-2009, 01:54 AM
If the Broncos finished 5-11 in 2009, there'd be all kinds of excuses for Shanahan, ranging from 'murderous schedule' to 'Cutler sucks' to 'defensive coordinator.' And Shanahan would have the same 'ole excuse at the end of the season.

I remember people saying they were crazy to get rid of Dan Reeves, and that 'They deserved the tailspin' (-former Broncos DE Shane Dronnet) during the Wade Phillips era.

We are in the Wade Phillips era now.

Move the defense up even to a middle of the League defense and Denver can be a contender for the Playoffs very quickly with Cutler and co. as long as the new Coach doesn't mess with too much, including his development.

Everyone please remember what has happened here the past few years. Mike Shanahan ACTUALLY BELIEVED Jake Plummer was the missing link to Broncos greatness a few years ago.

Shanahan is gone. Denver will be ok, believe it or not.

BroncoWave
01-01-2009, 01:57 AM
If the Broncos finished 5-11 in 2009, there'd be all kinds of excuses for Shanahan, ranging from 'murderous schedule' to 'Cutler sucks' to 'defensive coordinator.' And Shanahan would have the same 'ole excuse at the end of the season.

I remember people saying they were crazy to get rid of Dan Reeves, and that 'They deserved the tailspin' (-former Broncos DE Shane Dronnet) during the Wade Phillips era.

We are in the Wade Phillips era now.

Move the defense up even to a middle of the League defense and Denver can be a contender for the Playoffs very quickly with Cutler and co. as long as the new Coach doesn't mess with too much, including his development.

Everyone please remember what has happened here the past few years. Mike Shanahan ACTUALLY BELIEVED Jake Plummer was the missing link to Broncos greatness a few years ago.

Shanahan is gone. Denver will be ok, believe it or not.

Agreed. The sun will rise again in Denver. Mike Shanahan isn't the only guy on earth who can coach football. We'll be ok.

Shazam!
01-01-2009, 02:03 AM
Agreed. The sun will rise again in Denver. Mike Shanahan isn't the only guy on earth who can coach football. We'll be ok.

What's amazing is out of the politics forums I have seen we agree on practically everything else lol

The Broncos need an identity change right now. Bring back the old uniforms (like the NYJ did for 1998 w/Tuna) and modernize them a bit, or change something up on their current uniforms.

broncohead
01-01-2009, 03:06 AM
I doubt we find a better head coach. This team will be put behind about 2 years with this move.

Dreadnought
01-01-2009, 11:26 AM
I doubt we find a better head coach. This team will be put behind about 2 years with this move.

Yep. We're screwed in all likelihood. I though that the Raiders had signed a long term lease on the basement (barring temporary Chiefs meltdowns), but this puts that in doubt.

I for one am not looking forward to the 2009 Season. I'll watch every game, like I always do, just with a lot less enthusiasm. I'll expect a lot more losses and a far less competitive product on the field following a series of very stupid off season moves, which I suspect are coming.

Italianmobstr7
01-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Just got to watch the whole interview. I can't sit there and watch that and not think that letting go of Shanahan is a big mistake. Our offense was potent this season. He deserved 1 more chance to fix the D and get us back to the Super Bowl. He's got the utmost class, and respect and I'm proud that he was the head coach of my favorite team for 14 years. I wouldn't have wanted any other coach.

yardog
01-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Yep. We're screwed in all likelihood. I though that the Raiders had signed a long term lease on the basement (barring temporary Chiefs meltdowns), but this puts that in doubt.

I for one am not looking forward to the 2009 Season. I'll watch every game, like I always do, just with a lot less enthusiasm. I'll expect a lot more losses and a far less competitive product on the field following a series of very stupid off season moves, which I suspect are coming.

Dread

I think we are in the same mind frame. If the right coach is hired we might be OK but thats a big if. I think a better move would have been to clean house on the Def side and stay with Shanahan at least through his contract.

spikerman
01-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Hopefully Denver won't bring in a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" conservative coach in here - especially since the Broncos have the lightest, or one of the lightest, OLs in the league.

I have a feeling the next few years are going to be a rough transition.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Just got to watch the whole interview. I can't sit there and watch that and not think that letting go of Shanahan is a big mistake. Our offense was potent this season. He deserved 1 more chance to fix the D and get us back to the Super Bowl. He's got the utmost class, and respect and I'm proud that he was the head coach of my favorite team for 14 years. I wouldn't have wanted any other coach.

John Clayton said something interesting last night on ESPN in regards to Mike getting fired - He said "Emotions were running high after the game on Sunday night"

Listening to both Pat and Mike during the press conference in regards to the praise, respect, etc. they both stated when speaking about each other, my thoughts were - THEN, WHY IS THIS HAPPENING??????

Although it has been reported that the reason for Mike getting fired is because he would not fire Slowik, if this is accurate, the only thing I can think of is that Mike never realized that if he refused to fire Slowik, it would cost him his job, and therefore, also cost some other's their jobs also.

I keep hoping that more pieces of the puzzle will come, because to me, what we have heard so far, if true, does not equal, in my opinion, Pat firing Mike.

Possibly, after Sunday's game, Bowlen lowered the boom on Mike, and Mike responded with comments that upset Bowlen.

As you see, I am grasping here to try and understand what not only shocked BroncosNation, but, as has been said nationally, shocked the NFL.

weazel
01-01-2009, 12:52 PM
LMAO, could you imagine it happening? Bowlen would be the laughing stock of professional sports.

spikerman
01-01-2009, 12:52 PM
John Clayton said something interesting last night on ESPN in regards to Mike getting fired - He said "Emotions were running high after the game on Sunday night"

Listening to both Pat and Mike during the press conference in regards to the praise, respect, etc. they both stated when speaking about each other, my thoughts were - THEN, WHY IS THIS HAPPENING??????

Although it has been reported that the reason for Mike getting fired is because he would not fire Slowik, if this is accurate, the only thing I can think of is that Mike never realized that if he refused to fire Slowik, it would cost him his job, and therefore, also cost some other's their jobs also.

I keep hoping that more pieces of the puzzle will come, because to me, what we have heard so far, if true, does not equal, in my opinion, Pat firing Mike.

Possibly, after Sunday's game, Bowlen lowered the boom on Mike, and Mike responded with comments that upset Bowlen.

As you see, I am grasping here to try and understand what not only shocked BroncosNation, but, as has been said nationally, shocked the NFL.
I was thinking the same thing during the press conference. It seemed like neither one really wanted this or could explain it, so I kept asking myself, "Why is Bowlen doing this then?" It doesn't seem like Bowlen thought this through. His whole attitude was that "a change was needed". He hasn't even begun to think about what the change should be (according to him), but a change was needed. Even he admitted he might be making a mistake. This just doesn't seem like a rational process to me.

spikerman
01-01-2009, 12:54 PM
LMAO, could you imagine it happening? Bowlen would be the laughing stock of professional sports.
I think the rest of the NFL is too shocked to laugh yet, but give it a few days.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2009, 12:57 PM

If you are referring to Pat rescinding Mike's firing, I disagree that he would be the laughing stock of professional sports. I think it would reflect that he "shot from the hip", realized his mistake, and corrected his mistake.

spikerman
01-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Shanahan's a proud guy. Even if Bowlen offered it there is no way Shanahan would take it.

Dreadnought
01-01-2009, 01:16 PM
I was thinking the same thing during the press conference. It seemed like neither one really wanted this or could explain it, so I kept asking myself, "Why is Bowlen doing this then?" It doesn't seem like Bowlen thought this through. His whole attitude was that "a change was needed". He hasn't even begun to think about what the change should be (according to him), but a change was needed. Even he admitted he might be making a mistake. This just doesn't seem like a rational process to me.

Bowlen made an emotional and unthinking decision is what happened IMO. He reacted like a lot of us did to the Sunday debacle - rage and exasperation. He has no actual plan in place. Now pride is involved too, and all involved are trying to figger out "what next?" This includes how to save face all around. Its ridiculous.

This is why I have become so utterly pessimistic. This wasn't a thoughtful rational process at all. It was a temper tantrum.

Den21vsBal19
01-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Bowlen made an emotional and unthinking decision is what happened IMO. He reacted like a lot of us did to the Sunday debacle - rage and exasperation. He has no actual plan in place. Now pride is involved too, and all involved are trying to figger out "what next?" This includes how to save face all around. Its ridiculous.

This is why I have become so utterly pessimistic. This wasn't a thoughtful rational process at all. It was a temper tantrum.
Gotta admit, from what I saw of the conference I was suprised by how un-prepared for what need to be done Bowlen sounded............

This could blow up massively if we don't get the right guy off the bat :behindsofa:

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2009, 02:15 PM

With John Clayton stating that emotions were running high after Sunday night's game, Bowlen may have lowered the boom on Mike, he may have started questioning Mike as far as coaching, as far as running everything, and, in the heat of the battle, Mike could have said - if you aren't satisfied with me, fire me, and instead of Pat cooling down and realizing that both may have said things they really did not mean - Pat fired Mike. My opinion is that Pat may already be second guessing himself, but must go on with the mess he has created.

BroncoTech
01-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Ya it was very surprising there was no plan in place from Bowlen at the presser. In fact he still seemed enraged, and both men said all they want is a chance to get to the super bowl. It sounded like a prefect match.

JONtheBRONCO
01-01-2009, 04:46 PM
bring him back!!!

RunYouOver
01-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Too bad we couldn't will it to happen...because I'd do everything possible

Hard Hitting 12
01-01-2009, 04:54 PM
I don’t know if it’s been said, but my thoughts are:
Head Coach-Gary Kubiak
OC-John Elway
Running Backs Coach-Terrell Davis
Receivers Coach-Rod Smith
OL coach-Gary Zimmerman
DC-Tom Jackson
LB coach-Randy Gradishar
DB coach-Steve Atwater
DL coach-Karl Mecklenburg
Special Teams-Keith Burns

I Know its fantasy, but wouldnt that be cool.:defense:

Bozo Jr.
01-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Ya it was very surprising there was no plan in place from Bowlen at the presser. In fact he still seemed enraged, and both men said all they want is a chance to get to the super bowl. It sounded like a prefect match.

Not sure if that was 100% true. I can't see Bowlen jumping the gun that soon. This has been on his mind for a while. That being said, it sure was a sad day for both parties and us fans. What a tear jerker.

spikerman
01-01-2009, 05:55 PM
I don’t know if it’s been said, but my thoughts are:
Head Coach-Gary Kubiak
OC-John Elway
Running Backs Coach-Terrell Davis
Receivers Coach-Rod Smith
OL coach-Gary Zimmerman
DC-Tom Jackson
LB coach-Randy Gradishar
DB coach-Steve Atwater
DL coach-Karl Mecklenburg
Special Teams-Keith Burns

I Know its fantasy, but wouldnt that be cool.:defense:
I can understand your line of thinking, but very few ex players make really good coaches. But if we're going to dream, it wouldn't suck to see those guys on the sideline. :D

PatricktheDookie
01-01-2009, 06:00 PM
There are 5 stages of loss. This is stage 4 - bartering.